Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Before The Internet
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:25

Where did you get Stones info from?

For me, I would listen to FM radio for upcoming albums or tour info. I used to read Lisa Robinson's column in the New York Post.

Re: Before The Internet
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:26

before internet we were mostly intressted of their music and nothing else...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:31

no internet, no cellphones,the good old times

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:35

Even though the internet was around throughout the 90's, I didn't find it a very good resource. It was too slow, not very well organized, and a shadow of what it is now. So even though it was around back then, I got most of my info from the radio, Rolling Stone Magazine, other music magazines, and MTV news.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:07

Before the InterNet, we had our lovely Record stores, music magazines, newspapers, Rolling Stones Fan Club in Holland ...received a lot of info from them and we had Radio Veronica.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:08

german's beggars banquet was the first and final word...the internet killed that dude...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:17

I remember reading The National Enquirer here in America during the '77 period in Toronto, about the wild goings on with Margaret Trudeau and the bust. The group had been fairly dormant as a pop culture interest since their peak in 1972. The '77 scandals kicked them back in the spotlight and kept them there for a while. They haven't leaked much over to the rag sheets since that time, except for the blip the Mandy Smith affair caused, and the occassional mention of Mick's affairs/divorces/illegitimate kids.

I don't think the internet has increased my knowledge of the band. I haven't really learned anything here about the group that wasn't first discovered somewhere else, a book, an article.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:23

the Hot Wacks bootleg guide

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:26

Wimbledon, the N.M.E. and 'Shattered' fanzine.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 20:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:36

FM radio was the source for everything. I remember Bill Graham used to comeon and say at the sound of the Tumbling Dice tickets for The Rolling Stones will go on sale. No pre sales,vip packages. Just standing in line all day.grinning smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:46

The NME, Newspapers. God it was hard

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 30, 2011 20:51

sweetcharmedlife
....No pre sales,vip packages. Just standing in line all day....
... or all night... or what ever it took... front row(-5th row) rules, I wanna see the whites of their eyes. I was never been comped or wired in, and I/we sat/stood front row-5th row most of the time, by earning them.

Then there were (one or two) times "the idiot" was in charge of getting the tickets and we wound up 2nd balconey back of the hall, with the idiot saying "hey, as long as we are inside"... fk that..... all I could think of was how bad I wanna be on the frontrowcentermuthafkr. I waited all night many many times, saw everybody, it was a blast and it only cost $7.00-$10.00 per ticket

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:02

Rolling Stone, Creem, NME...the radio

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:09

Two cans and a string linked directly to Stones headquarters in London.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:13

Edith Grove
Two cans and a string linked directly to Stones headquarters in London.
Thankfully now we have Gazzapedia.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:18

smoke signals

Date: December 30, 2011 21:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 23:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 30, 2011 21:37

Finding bootlegs was as difficult as searching for gold in the river.

Maybe once or twice a year in the most bizarre ways a bootleg could be bought.

In few minutes I presently may find more information related to Stones than I have done for more than a decade.

We easily forget this fact.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 30, 2011 21:40

we don't have any recording information bout stones

but my first info was the books

philip c.luce the stones 1970.

duch underground book,stones 1973 (some informations about their recordings)

the rolling stones wilfried stember "collector's file 1982-3,

felix appeli "heart of stone" 1985

Date: December 30, 2011 21:46

In the early 70's it wasn't difficult to buy bootlegs in my hometown, and I could order them at the fan club..............

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:00

All fan mail went to StonesTod.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:32

Fan magazines like....er....IORR, oddly enough (been a subscriber since 1983), although the magazine was put into cold storage from about 1986-89 until Bjornulf revived it when the band became active again.

Beggars Banquet was indispensable for keeping us up to date with info - especially during the quiet years in the 80s. Took a while after it became the 'official' fanclub newsletter to get the distribution sorted out for the UK, but once Bill got around that problem (not of his own making) it was spot-on.

There were a few other unofficial fanzines as well from the 80s, - Chantilly Lace (Austria), Charlie is Good Tonight (Switzerland), Shattered (Holland), etc.

There are still some people on this site that I've known since the mid 80s through these magazines when I started trading tapes with them (silkcut, the GR, etc)

The best produced magazines of the lot though were the Stone People magazines which were out in the 90s. Originally it was a Japanese mag (some text in English) and then there was a Stone People Europe version, which was in Dutch and English. The photo quality on both was stunning.

The problem with magazines though is that they tend to be out of date pretty quickly, by the time it takes to produce them, so their greatest strength was in retro-style features and reviews.

Weekly periodicals like Melody Maker, NME etc were best for the most up to date info, unless you relied on the word of the tabloids.

I never had the slightest inclination to get the internet until someone I worked with brought me in a review (with pictures) of the opening BTB show in Chicago the previous night which he'd printed out to show me. Thats when I figured out that waiting around for months for Stones news was a thing of the past.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 23:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:38

Early days it mainly came from the rock mags & radio

Dieter Hoffmans Basement News was ACE...later on John Carr's Sticky Fingers was a goodun too....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:41

Yep..both great resources. Back in the days when all you wanted to read about the Stones was music-related and you could eliminate all the garbage.

Date: December 30, 2011 23:43

Before the InterNet grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2011 23:47

NICOS
Before the InterNet grinning smiley

Does that still work? for when I am (waaaaay) away from my computer? winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:53

and you could eliminate all the garbage.

Yeah imagine what BV's delete bin looks like everyday....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 30, 2011 23:53

Are you seriously suggesting there was a world before the internet? I can't believe that.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 30, 2011 23:54

Kids actually had to read books.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:09

There were these things called "record stores". You had to go to them and you could actually purchase music on these circular disc thing made of vinyl. Then there were things called "magazines". Every month or so, a new one would come out and you could read it to see if there was any news about your favorite band. I don't know how we survived.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home