Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: OT - Baseball - World Series 2010
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 8, 2010 03:31

The World Series is too long a-coming. Baseball has a real problem on its hands. November is too late. It reduces the fall Classic to a two city event. To speak nothing of the potential weather. Football, college and pro; basketball, college and pro...the country has moved on sports-wise. The Giants clinched on Sunday. Why are they waiting until Thursday to play? I hate to say it. I love baseball. But MLB needs to find a way to speed up the post-season.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 8, 2010 04:15

The Yankees Winnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The great Mariano Rivera closes out the Twins again for the Yankees. Back to NY with a two game sweep.

Date: October 8, 2010 04:24

pmk251
The World Series is too long a-coming. Baseball has a real problem on its hands. November is too late. It reduces the fall Classic to a two city event. To speak nothing of the potential weather. Football, college and pro; basketball, college and pro...the country has moved on sports-wise. The Giants clinched on Sunday. Why are they waiting until Thursday to play? I hate to say it. I love baseball. But MLB needs to find a way to speed up the post-season.

A two city event??? That is usually what championships are played by.

Speed up the post season??? There are only four games and the first round is a best of 5. Enjoy the games, its only October.

Date: October 8, 2010 06:48

Lincecum really needs a haircut. Badly.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 8, 2010 10:21

pmk251
The World Series is too long a-coming. Baseball has a real problem on its hands. November is too late. It reduces the fall Classic to a two city event.

I feel a bit sarcastic so I'll say : Yes I do miss when the WS were a 7 city contest. That's why I prefer the SuperBowl which is played by three teams.
Boy the good old days.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 8, 2010 14:38

Anyone but the Yankees!

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 8, 2010 17:05

Mariano is amazing. 41 post season saves!
This is a major league record that's going to
stand for a very long time as the runner up
has only 16 saves in the post season.

Good to see the Yankees on top.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 8, 2010 17:36

The Sicilian
Lincecum really needs a haircut. Badly.
Let the freak flag fly baby!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 8, 2010 20:09

pmk251

Yeah, really. The World Series should be between the two teams with the best record. With the current system, it doesn't always work out that way.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 8, 2010 21:57

Carnaby
pmk251

Yeah, really. The World Series should be between the two teams with the best record. With the current system, it doesn't always work out that way.

the only way to guarantee that would be to revert to a system that hasn't existed in 40 years - no divisions. back in the sixites, there were only 16 teams...now there are 30....would pretty much eliminate 24 or so teams and their fans from interest by mid-August. so, please submit a better proposal.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:03

T&A
Carnaby
pmk251

More doubleheaders. If each team played 4-5 doubleheaders a year, that would shave maybe a week and a half off the schedule, which would keep the World Series in mid October. Doubleheaders are (were) great.

the only way to guarantee that would be to revert to a system that hasn't existed in 40 years - no divisions. back in the sixites, there were only 16 teams...now there are 30....would pretty much eliminate 24 or so teams and their fans from interest by mid-August. so, please submit a better proposal.

Date: October 9, 2010 03:15

Chefguevara - I am not taking anything away from Mariano but it sure helps that they buy up all of the talent in the league to put him in that position!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:31

tomk
T&A
Carnaby
pmk251

More doubleheaders. If each team played 4-5 doubleheaders a year, that would shave maybe a week and a half off the schedule, which would keep the World Series in mid October. Doubleheaders are (were) great.

some good points for sure, but in the meantime, they should have lots of cheerleaders, on the field, in the seats with the fans, everywhere!!

Date: October 9, 2010 04:06

Go back to the 154 game schedule, play some double headers. I like the current format with the postseason though. The only thing that I would change is that there should not be any divisions. the top four teams with the four best records should make the playoffs. I beleive it worked out that way this year but it does not always work that way. Get rid of this Red Sox-Yankee 18 or 19 games against each other a year. Play an even schedule and get ri of inter-league play. Other than that I am fine with what they do.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 9, 2010 06:06

T&A
Carnaby
pmk251

Yeah, with all these teams, there is not much that can be done to change the way it is now. And, let's not forget the money...

Date: October 9, 2010 22:31

Brutal loss for the Giants last night. Bruce Bochy left himself open to a world of second guessing with his manage every inning like it's the seventh game of the world series mentality. Hey Boch. Here's a suggestion. Let your team just play....and for fuks sake leave Matt Cain in the game.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 9, 2010 22:48

But it's not the World Series yet. It's just the MLB playoffs, just as with the NFL playoffs.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: October 9, 2010 23:21

Don't see anything wrong with the current state of baseball.Of course, not being from the state I do not have the same insight into the game as the rest of you but I just love watching games.Unlike some other sports, there is a fine competitive balance even though The Yankees and a couple of other teams are a couple of notches above the others when it comes to the payroll.As fun as NFL can be, that game can never be the piece of art, baseball is.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: October 9, 2010 23:25

slew
Go back to the 154 game schedule, play some double headers. I like the current format with the postseason though. The only thing that I would change is that there should not be any divisions. the top four teams with the four best records should make the playoffs. I beleive it worked out that way this year but it does not always work that way. Get rid of this Red Sox-Yankee 18 or 19 games against each other a year. Play an even schedule and get ri of inter-league play. Other than that I am fine with what they do.

I agree about the interleague play.Sure, it;s fun but it messes things up.It unintentionally favors certain team.There's no real equity of the schedule.The same could be said about the wild card within the current system,The teams playing in Al East for example certainly have a tougher schedule than AL central teams.

Date: October 10, 2010 00:06

slew
Chefguevara - I am not taking anything away from Mariano but it sure helps that they buy up all of the talent in the league to put him in that position!

Rivera does not "need" talent around him to be a great player. He IS a great player in his own right. Remember in his very limited but highly pressured situations that he pitches, usually just an inning or so, he puts downs batters with his pitching and countless broken bats.

He is the best closer ever, a shutdown pitcher. When your the best its hard to find excuses why you are there. It is a team thing in NY. He earns his spot. Especially at his age.

Date: October 10, 2010 00:15

Sicilian - I am not saying that. Mariano Rivera is the best closer the game has ever seen and he basically does it with one pitch. He is put in the save situations that he is put in because the Yankees always have a good team and they pay the money to have those late inning leads. I really thought the Twins would beat the Yanks this year very disappointed. I have a lot of respect for the Twins they are there every year and they have a small market and a fairly low payroll. Hey it is not over yet the Red Sox proved that in 04 but I do not think that Minnesota can come back.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 10, 2010 00:38

sweetcharmedlife
Brutal loss for the Giants last night. Bruce Bochy left himself open to a world of second guessing with his manage every inning like it's the seventh game of the world series mentality. Hey Boch. Here's a suggestion. Let your team just play....and for fuks sake leave Matt Cain in the game.

Heartbreaker!!!!

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 10, 2010 01:22

Date: October 9, 2010 03:15

But...you're taking away from Mariano.

Date: October 10, 2010 01:35

No Expectations
sweetcharmedlife

Heartbreaker!!!!
Enough to make a grown man cry.confused smiley

Date: October 10, 2010 06:02

And in the bottom of the 7th in NY, Nick Swisher cracks a solo homer to put the Yankees up 6 - 0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 10, 2010 06:08

The Twins are getting a beating like a red-headed stepchild.

After tonight they will only have Brett Favre to pick on.

Date: October 10, 2010 06:12

The Sicilian
The Twins are getting a beating like a red-headed stepchild.

After tonight they will only have Brett Favre to pick on.
Well after some of the recent revelations of Brett's offfield beheavior,their seems to be quite a bit to beat on....so to speak.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 10, 2010 06:16

The best thing that could happen to baseball after this round is the switchover to Fox (I hope). TBS is just terrible. Boring announcers, lousy coverage by that goof with the wacky suits on the field.

Where is Joe Buck and the gang??? I even miss Joe Morgan's analysis but I think he was on CBS?

Date: October 10, 2010 06:50

The Yankees winnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweep Sweep Sweep!!! Well now, what was that about Rivera?

This is for you all and Sweetcharmedlife:

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 10, 2010 07:07

slew

Nonsense: THE GREAT RIVERA executes like no other closer has in the history of baseball. The bought talent might produce leads that he protects, but THE GREAT RIVERA nails 'em down repeatedly. If anything, THE GREAT RIVERA has protected leads in spite of the Yankees' mediocre to poor defense. With the notable exception of Mark Texeira, the bought talent has never been noted for its defense.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home