Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Encores
Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 17:17

I have always wondered when the band started encores at concerts. Was it in 1972, with Honky Tonk Women, or was it earlier. I also am wondering what songs were played as one off encores, for instance if they randomly played You Got Me Rocking once during the encore set.

The Frequent Encores Are (Have Been):
Let It Rock - 1971
Jumpin' Jack Flash - 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - 1972, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
Brown Sugar - 1997, 1998, 2007
Sympathy For The Devil - 1975, 1976, 1999
Honky Tonk Women - 1972
Street Fighting Man - 1978, 1981
You Can't Always Get What You Want - 1997,1999,2005,2006,2007
It's Only Rock "n" Roll (But I Like It) - 2005

Am I missing any songs or years, or should some of these years be dropped?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 07:25 by chenry9195.

Re: Encores
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 6, 2010 17:27

Encores are stupid nowadays. Nobody actually "demands" an encore so much as everyone just knows that they are taking a very short break and will come back on to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 6, 2010 17:33

ringo said it best....he comes out for the encores: "this is my favorite part of the show - YOU know we're coming bck....and WE know we're coming back."

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 17:57

Can't You Hear Me Knocking? would be great, as would Love In Vain, or Sweet Virginia (at a smaller gig). Time Is On My Side would be perfect.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: October 6, 2010 18:46

skipstone
Encores are stupid nowadays. Nobody actually "demands" an encore so much as everyone just knows that they are taking a very short break and will come back on to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

Exactly. They don't do encores any more it's all decided before the show starts and the lights are set, it's not like they are saying "this crowd was great lets go out and do another song"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 6, 2010 20:53

I didn't realize they did encores until at least 1981. They didn't do one in 1978, at least at the concert I went to. I don't care for their encores anyway. They rush through the song way too fast like a a 45 set on 78 and all you're waiting for are the damn fireworks. One time I split right before the encore at Dodger Stadium, a notoriously bad place to get out of. I was gone, passed nobody and escaped the parking lot before Keith was in the back of the limo. So I missed Brown Sugar sung like Alvin and the Chipmuncks.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:02

I understand what you mean about encores these days etc.... but I've
been to shows where the roadies have actually been packing up the gear
and the band came back. Also heard an interview with Mick Jones....said
that when FOREIGNER was touring for their first album the crowd was going crazy
for an encore but they had already played their entire album....so they went
back onstage and played a song that they were developing for their 2nd album.
Since it was incomplete (aacording to Jones)..they essentially played the first verse three times.
The song was Hot Blooded.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:07

> to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

lol, can't see any other options x)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:10

In 1999 during the NS tour they started the tour with "Midnight Rambler' as an encore. But that went away after the first show, I think. As cool as it sounded on the boot---they unfortunately rushed it cutting the song short by 3mins. That song was the wrong thing to play considering at this point of the show they're in a rush to get outta there. They eventually moved on to using "Sympathy" as the encore for the rest of the tour. An okay version except for the horns they added which seems to be a standard rule in their book when it comes to closing songs...

Date: October 6, 2010 21:30

Justin
In 1999 during the NS tour they started the tour with "Midnight Rambler' as an encore. But that went away after the first show, I think. As cool as it sounded on the boot---they unfortunately rushed it cutting the song short by 3mins. That song was the wrong thing to play considering at this point of the show they're in a rush to get outta there. They eventually moved on to using "Sympathy" as the encore for the rest of the tour. An okay version except for the horns they added which seems to be a standard rule in their book when it comes to closing songs...

actually, they played both MR and SFTD as encores that opening night

Date: October 6, 2010 21:32

Amused
> to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

lol, can't see any other options x)

Ha ha! You're right! How obscene!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:40

"Brown Sugar - 1997, 1998"

- add 2007; from 25 june to 26 august (except for two or three dates).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 21:42 by Milan.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:19

I think "We Don't Wanna Go Home" would be a great encore.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:31

T&A
actually, they played both MR and SFTD as encores that opening night

True that.

Date: October 6, 2010 22:32

mickboy33
I think "We Don't Wanna Go Home" would be a great encore.

would HAVE been - that ship sailed already

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:09

I think it's been said before but i can remember all through most of the 70's they didn't do encores. There was a woman who's name i can't remember advising them not to do encores as it was a good way to leave the audience wanting more i remember seeing them in 71, 73, 76 and not onece did they do an encore

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 7, 2010 01:25

Nobody does real encores anymore they are all pre-planned part of the show. i hate them I wish they'd go back to be what they are supposed to be. unplanned and spontaneous because the crowd demands more!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 7, 2010 01:42

I believe they started doing encores in '75, but it was very staged and predictable, and always the same song (SFTD, I believe).

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: October 7, 2010 03:31

sweet neo con
I understand what you mean about encores these days etc.... but I've
been to shows where the roadies have actually been packing up the gear
and the band came back. Also heard an interview with Mick Jones....said
that when FOREIGNER was touring for their first album the crowd was going crazy
for an encore but they had already played their entire album....so they went
back onstage and played a song that they were developing for their 2nd album.
Since it was incomplete (aacording to Jones)..they essentially played the first verse three times.
The song was Hot Blooded.

This is the stuff I love to read! Foreigner is a great band, or Foreigner was a great band, I saw them in '81 at Madison Sq Garden, Billy Squier opened for them. Great show!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 03:32 by marchbaby.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 7, 2010 07:55

Encores used to be more spontaneous reactions to the exigencies of the moment. For example, when I saw the Who at Madison Square Garden in 1976, the band had to be fetched from their limos to do one because their road crew was getting bottled while trying to remove gear. The Who came back and winged Road Runner, Let's See Action and Naked Eye. 10 minutes of spontaneous bliss! By the late '70s, encores became part of the structure of the set list, though they weren't a nightly feature for the Stones until 1981.

Date: October 7, 2010 12:52

Hate the whole encore ritual - nobody even claps hard or stomps anymore because it is such a given that they come back. Often the setlists will already have it written in as 'encore'. Or there are times you see a major band and they have not done one of the must-see's yet. Even the Arcade Fire, who try to play by their own rules - by the end of show they had not played "Wake Up" yet, so of course you know they are coming back.
What I don't like is when the encore consists of another half of a freakin set.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:12

They should just do the encore after the first song and get it out of the friggin' way ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:29

Two or three Chuck Berry songs would be great.

Date: October 7, 2010 17:30

slew
Nobody does real encores anymore they are all pre-planned part of the show. i hate them I wish they'd go back to be what they are supposed to be. unplanned and spontaneous because the crowd demands more!

You mean they are a planned part of the show. One can't "pre" plan!

Date: October 7, 2010 17:35

skipstone
slew

You mean they are a planned part of the show. One can't "pre" plan!

good call, skippy. a pet peeve of mine is when a sports announcer says a player has had "good success" - hello? there's another kind?

Date: October 7, 2010 17:41

Interesting. I haven't noticed that one! That's as bad as 'advanced planning'.

Perhaps they're alluding to the fact that it hasn't been a "great success"? Ha ha.

All this pre shit has got to stop. "Prerecorded"? No - recorded. There is no pre-ing anything if it has to be done. You pay, you don't pre-pay.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:58

Palace Revolution 2000
Hate the whole encore ritual - nobody even claps hard or stomps anymore because it is such a given that they come back. Often the setlists will already have it written in as 'encore'. Or there are times you see a major band and they have not done one of the must-see's yet. Even the Arcade Fire, who try to play by their own rules - by the end of show they had not played "Wake Up" yet, so of course you know they are coming back.
What I don't like is when the encore consists of another half of a freakin set.

Paul McCartney was the king of the fake encore this year - as I posted after seeing him at the Isle of Wight:

By the way, there are two or three false endings to the set, where Paul disappears offstage and has to be encouraged back by applause and cries of We Want More - one after Hey Jude, another after HelterSkelter, another after Yesterday: remember folks, it's not really over until they play Sergeant Pepper!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 7, 2010 18:43

A friend of mine who has an extensive rock concert history/resume told me the first time she saw a show where she knew the encore was planned was a Creedence show, (which had to be around '69/'70) because when the band left they didn't take their guitars with them--they were still plugged in on the stage!

When Dylan returned to playing live and did his '74 tour with The Band, I recall reading about a crowd at one show held up lighters/matches during the pause before the encore. That was so unique they put it on the live album cover. But it quickly caught on, and like the encore itself became ritual at practically EVERY concert after that.

I saw Bruce Springsteen at the Santa Monica Civic in '76, and he played a good set, but it didn't include "Born To Run." For the encore I believe he did Eddie Floyd's "Raise Your Hand." Everyone wanted to hear BTR, so they brought him back for another, and he did a solo piano version of a new song, "Racing In The Streets." That was a real buzzkill, just a snoozer. But people still wanted to hear BTR, so they brought him back for another encore, and he finally did it, but a double-speed rush-though sloppy version, which frankly sucked.

In LA Times review, they talked about how great Bruce was and how the crowd brought him back for three encores, never mentioning the cat-and-mouse game he played over his signature song.

Date: October 7, 2010 18:46

i saw a van morrison show in the late 80's at the greek in berkeley where the encores (one at a time) outnumbered the songs in the main set. something like 13 of them...hysterical. i think he made his point somewhere about the 9th encore....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 7, 2010 18:55

I saw Sammy Hagar years ago at Winterland opening for Dave Mason. It was right after the Red album cam out. He did a killer set,but didn't come back for an encore. But the crowd kept cheering until Sammy finally came back out grabbed a microphone jumped on top of a piano and told the crowd"I'll jump up and down and do tricks for you. But I don't have any more songs to play." Then Dave Mason came out and put everybody to sleep.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home