Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Encores
Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 7, 2010 19:07

Stones didn´t do encores in

1972 only in few shows.La,Frisco,new york
1975 only in new york and los angeles,and Baton rouge(rambler)
1976 only in few london shows,where sympathy was played.
1978 only in chicago,boulder and new jersey

1981 every show except Rockford

encores

1989:jumping jack flash
1990:jumping jack flash and satisfaction
1994:jumping jack flash
1995:jumping jack flash
1997:brown sugar
1998:brown sugar
1999:sympathy and satisfaction
2002:jumping jack flash(stadiums&arenas) tumblng dice in clubs,except roseland
2003:jumping jack flash,satisfaction
2005:its only r´r and satisfaction
2006:satisfaction
2007:jumping jack flash at first shows,otherwise,brown sugar.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 7, 2010 19:12

Chenry, the confusion is over encores and finales. Jumpin' Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man were the most common finales in '72-'73. Satisfaction (as part of a medley with Uptight) was the exception, not the rule.

loog droog, I think your friend is mistaken in believing it was CCR. Fogerty never played encores in the CCR days. The audiences cheered for them and the rest of the band thought it was a poor idea not to do them, but he was adamant about it. He does play them these days though and Doug and Stu do them with their other CCR band.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2010 23:13

Isn't it Jumpin' Jack Flash?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2010 02:10

marko
Stones didn´t do encores in

.....almost; but :

1971 - Sympathy For The Devil in Newcastle, and Let It Rock at some shows
1973 - Midnight Rambler in Los Angeles

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 8, 2010 02:34

I love how the encores were true encores in '71-'78.

But why didn't the poor Rockford audience get an encore in '81?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 8, 2010 03:20

I caught HTW in '72 and MR in '73. But to tell you the truth I got a perverse pleasure when they just said good night and left. Hard to say exactly why. It just seemed more Stones-like.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 8, 2010 03:55

Rocky Dijon

loog droog, I think your friend is mistaken in believing it was CCR. Fogerty never played encores in the CCR days. The audiences cheered for them and the rest of the band thought it was a poor idea not to do them, but he was adamant about it. He does play them these days though and Doug and Stu do them with their other CCR band.

Next time I see her I'll ask her. But if she says it was CCR, believe me it was. This lady kept setlists of all the shows she's ever been to, and she didn't drink or use drugs! Could actually write a great book about all the shows she's been to over the years.

Be that as it may, it was sometime in the early 70's when the "Encore As Ritual" took shape and became almost mandatory by the mid-70's. Nowadays the Stones get a standing ovation as soon as they show up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-08 18:13 by loog droog.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 8, 2010 16:11

Alright a planned part of the show!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 8, 2010 19:53

Sorry, loog droog, but I'm going to trust the memories of the three surviving members of the band who were insistent about the no encores rule and divided on whether it was a good thing or bad.

As to the initial discussion in this thread, there is definitely confusion between finale and encore. Many of the tracks listed are simply the last songs performed and not true encore performances.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 9, 2010 01:27

skipstone
Encores are stupid nowadays. Nobody actually "demands" an encore so much as everyone just knows that they are taking a very short break and will come back on to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

I've only ever once been part of an audience that really DEMANDED to hear more music and simply wouldn't take no for an answer. That was at a Marshall Tucker Band concert in 1978. They did FOUR encores. They kind of set it up that way. By playing a short set that omitted most of their best-known songs, they deliberately left lots and lots of room for encores. Still, I don't think they would have kept coming back if the crowd hadn't been so hysterical about it.

You know what I really hate? When bands allow the crowd to clap and yell and stomp for several minutes, and THEN they turn the lights on. If you're not coming back, just turn the damn lights on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-09 01:29 by tatters.

Date: October 9, 2010 01:31

sherer
skipstone
Encores are stupid nowadays. Nobody actually "demands" an encore so much as everyone just knows that they are taking a very short break and will come back on to play whatever, a huge hit, a recent hit or if one is really lucky some obscure song or just some LP track that was never a hit.

Exactly. They don't do encores any more it's all decided before the show starts and the lights are set, it's not like they are saying "this crowd was great lets go out and do another song"

But I think sometimes they DO say "This crowd sucks! Let's get the f___ out of here!"

Date: October 9, 2010 01:37

sweet neo con
I understand what you mean about encores these days etc.... but I've
been to shows where the roadies have actually been packing up the gear
and the band came back.

Really? You've been to shows where they turned the lights on, and the crowd CONTINUED to demand an encore, and they just wouldn't take no for an answer, and the band was so overcome with emotion at the spontaneous outpouring of LOVE that they ordered the lights to be turned off again and they came back out and played? Who did that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-09 01:58 by tatters.

Date: October 9, 2010 01:42

marchbaby
sweet neo con
I understand what you mean about encores these days etc.... but I've
been to shows where the roadies have actually been packing up the gear
and the band came back. Also heard an interview with Mick Jones....said
that when FOREIGNER was touring for their first album the crowd was going crazy
for an encore but they had already played their entire album....so they went
back onstage and played a song that they were developing for their 2nd album.
Since it was incomplete (aacording to Jones)..they essentially played the first verse three times.
The song was Hot Blooded.

This is the stuff I love to read! Foreigner is a great band, or Foreigner was a great band, I saw them in '81 at Madison Sq Garden, Billy Squier opened for them. Great show!

That sounds like something Carl would say. You know Carl? From Aqua Teen Hunger Force? He's always saying stuff like, "I saw Styx at the Garden in '83 and they rocked!"

Date: October 9, 2010 01:54

loog droog

When Dylan returned to playing live and did his '74 tour with The Band, I recall reading about a crowd at one show held up lighters/matches during the pause before the encore. That was so unique they put it on the live album cover. But it quickly caught on, and like the encore itself became ritual at practically EVERY concert after that.

Now everyone just holds their cell phones in the air as a sign of .... respect?

I saw a David Crosby solo gig at a little club on Long Island in 1981. Two sets. First set was acoustic, second set was electric. The electric set was just four songs. "We yelled and screamed for more" (just like in that Little River Band song, when "Miller's band was better than before"!). As a matter of fact, we yelled and screamed for TEN minutes. Then they turned the lights on. I stood at the bar yelling "Bull shit! Bull shit!" Later found out that the Cros' had been backstage having himself a free-base-induced seizure and had actually come close to dying right there in the back of the club at the same time I was yelling "Bull shit! Bull shit!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-09 02:20 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home