Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Official teaser from the L&G release - HAPPY
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 4, 2010 21:57

Hi,

just found this on youtube/RS-facebook:

%&!?ing good audio and nice video, WOW, it blew me away.

Hope it´OK for posting an new thread (hopefully it´s a new threadcool smiley).

CR

Re: Official teaser from the L&G release - HAPPY
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:16

Love it! Vocals are obviously either from another show or overdubbs, but still. LOVE it!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:31

No lip synchronicity at the end...strange...

Posted by: NoBozos ()
Date: October 4, 2010 23:15

Overdubbed or not, that's still one my favorite rock movie moments of all time. The energy is just unbelievable.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: October 4, 2010 23:46

Love it. Thanks kindly!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:19

One of the highlights of the movie for shure!

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:26

whoooo!!! Work it, Mick! smiling bouncing smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:37

why not pick an in sync version for the movie?

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:49

The Stones needs release the soundtrack.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 5, 2010 01:15

Excellent picture quality, here's a screenshot I just made:

I always thought that this was better when Mick AND Keith sang it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 23:17 by Deltics.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: October 5, 2010 02:18

I'd forgotten about Keith's teeth

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 5, 2010 02:22

jamesfdouglas
Love it! Vocals are obviously either from another show or overdubbs, but still. LOVE it!

wrong

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:00

mickscarey
jamesfdougla

wrong[/quote

based on what?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:15

mickscarey
jamesfdouglas

wrong
okay mr.smartypants, explain what happens at the 45 second mark when mick sings "yeah" while not at the mic. what is that all about?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:59

bernardie is never wrong

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: October 5, 2010 06:51

Unfortunately, the teaser clip at the beginning of this thread has the same problems as in the original film release:

- First of all, the film has been sped up. The song was played in key of B, however the accelerated speed of the film boosts it up a half-step to key of C. This may have been done in the original film in a misguided attempt to give the song more energy (a common trick on old records), but unfortunately the result is that it sounds too rushed. It’s a shame that no one involved in the DVD release corrected this.

- Second, despite Eagle Vision’s claim that the audio for the film is restored from the “original multi-track audio masters,” this clip features the exact same, overly-compressed mix as the original film. Perhaps the actual DVD will reveal otherwise, but the audio for this teaser clip was clearly just dubbed from the film soundtrack, and not remixed from the original multi-track.

- Finally, as in the original film, there are the obvious vocal overdubs already commented on above, most of which sound rather forced and don’t enhance the song.

A more accurate document of the tune (at the correct speed, without overdubs) from the ‘72 tour can be found below. For my money, it’s a more satisfying listen, despite the low fidelity.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 5, 2010 08:43

I have put screenshots from the Eaglerock release on by blog, with a comparison to the 4reel bootleg version

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 5, 2010 10:00

Looks like the ancient art of vocal weaving at the microphone...

overdubs or dodgy speed or whatever, it's fun to watch and lovely to see them working together like that. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 5, 2010 10:53

ShootsWaterRats
Unfortunately, the teaser clip at the beginning of this thread has the same problems as in the original film release:

- First of all, the film has been sped up. The song was played in key of B, however the accelerated speed of the film boosts it up a half-step to key of C. This may have been done in the original film in a misguided attempt to give the song more energy (a common trick on old records), but unfortunately the result is that it sounds too rushed. It’s a shame that no one involved in the DVD release corrected this.

- Second, despite Eagle Vision’s claim that the audio for the film is restored from the “original multi-track audio masters,” this clip features the exact same, overly-compressed mix as the original film. Perhaps the actual DVD will reveal otherwise, but the audio for this teaser clip was clearly just dubbed from the film soundtrack, and not remixed from the original multi-track.

- Finally, as in the original film, there are the obvious vocal overdubs already commented on above, most of which sound rather forced and don’t enhance the song.

A more accurate document of the tune (at the correct speed, without overdubs) from the ‘72 tour can be found below. For my money, it’s a more satisfying listen, despite the low fidelity.

What technique is used to speed up the vocals without making them sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Date: October 5, 2010 17:24

bernardanderson
mickscarey
jamesfdouglas

wrong
okay mr.smartypants, explain what happens at the 45 second mark when mick sings "yeah" while not at the mic. what is that all about?

...and on 1'47" same thing: - "...NO..."
I think it's Blondie Chaplin, 'though.
Didn't know he already was around in the early '70s?!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: October 5, 2010 22:43

"What technique is used to speed up the vocals without making them sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks?"

Well, basically you just speed it up a bit, but not too much...

These days you can also digitally time-compress things without altering the pitch at all, but that's not what was done here. Instead, the original film was simply sped up, and apparently no one involved with the DVD noticed or cared.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2010 22:52

What technique is used to speed up the vocals without making them sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks?"

ssssssssslow release of Helium from under the stage always got Mick rattlin'....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 5, 2010 23:11

We're not thinking of accusing the Stones camp of another Stones type package/re-packaging.

Slap together another old table scrap with the love and care it takes to make a ham sandwich and then watch the fans gobble it up.

At least it will look 'official' and even on BR disc.

Again too bad about the LSTNT Ham sandwich remaster

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: October 5, 2010 23:21

Did we not have a similar issue with movie 'Shine a Light'?

The CD is all in the correct key......but the DVD was actually 1/2 step higher....something to do with the different frrame rates in the US compared to Europe....or something like that.

If it didn't bother them on that DVD, why should they bother about this one?

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 6, 2010 02:49

goodness, the audio on that original trailer piece is AWFUL - so forced and fake -

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 6, 2010 03:13

Well, in cinema at least it was great . .
(can't play videos at the moment).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 6, 2010 03:20

ShootsWaterRats

I agree -- that was more authentic *and* a better performance.
But where was this one filmed and from where does the video come? Is it from CS Blues?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 6, 2010 03:36

it was an outtake from L&G -

Date: October 6, 2010 03:48

Interestingly, this promotional trailer for the upcoming DVD release features a snippet of "Happy," only here the speed has been corrected. Hopefully this means the actual DVD gets it right, despite the incorrect speed in the teaser clip at the start of this thread.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 6, 2010 11:24

ShootsWaterRats
"What technique is used to speed up the vocals without making them sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks?"

Well, basically you just speed it up a bit, but not too much...

These days you can also digitally time-compress things without altering the pitch at all, but that's not what was done here. Instead, the original film was simply sped up, and apparently no one involved with the DVD noticed or cared.

If I understand this correctly, the audio track was sped up but the video was not. If that is accurate, then I would expect the vocals to be quite out of sync with the video - unless the video was also sped up, which I would have thought would make the band appear to move in an obviously-unnatural way. But in many parts of Happy the video and audio are in sync and the audio only loses sync in a few places because the audio and video are not from the same performance.

Is it not possible that on some shows the tunings were slightly adjusted for some shows? That would account for why some recordings from 72 are played in C.

I enjoy the L&G version of Happy, despite its shortcomings - many of the 72 versions are vocally poor. There is no contest between the outtake version and the version used in L&G.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home