Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Official teaser from the L&G release - HAPPY
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 6, 2010 12:14

ShootsWaterRats
Interestingly, this promotional trailer for the upcoming DVD release features a snippet of "Happy," only here the speed has been corrected. Hopefully this means the actual DVD gets it right, despite the incorrect speed in the teaser clip at the start of this thread.

Interesting! The difference when you view them one after the other is obvious. Is it just me or is the sound mix better too?

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: October 6, 2010 15:06

"unless the video was also sped up, which I would have thought would make the band appear to move in an obviously-unnatural way."

The video and audio are both sped up by about 5% -- not enough to make it look or sound ridiculous, but enough to make it all sound very rushed. Again, this was a common trick on old records, intended to make them sound brighter and more energetic (a very famous example being James Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," on which the technique worked quite well), but on the teaser clip of "Happy" it just sounds forced.

"Is it not possible that on some shows the tunings were slightly adjusted for some shows?"

Just not a very plausible explanation. And as noted above, the DVD trailer (not the teaser clip) has the exact same "Happy" performance, but at the right speed, in the key of B. There's your proof that the teaser clip is too fast.

"There is no contest between the outtake version and the version used in L&G."

If you mean that the outtake version is better, then I agree with you. I much prefer the appealingly-ragged live vocals, rather than the forced-sounding overdubs.

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: October 6, 2010 15:13

"Interesting! The difference when you view them one after the other is obvious. Is it just me or is the sound mix better too?"

Hard to comment on whether there's a different mix, given that the trailer has a voiceover and also edits in the songs. But I sure hope that the DVD, in addition to its 5.1 mix, also has a better stereo mix than the original L & G film -- otherwise I won't be buying it.

Date: October 7, 2010 13:08

Im glad the later posts here address the terrible audio of the clip. Yes, the sound quality is superb, but the content is not. From the first note I was thrown by Keith's vocals. What is wrong? He sounds TOO hi pitched. I even wondered if it was studio overdubbed, or not even him at all.
The guitars are TOO fast too.
Once I noticed the different key it all made sense. The speeding up explained it all.
yes for a minute it is good to hear them that fast and tight sounding but it is not the Stones. I ordered the official DVD and hope it is corrected.

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:47

I also noticed that Keith uses BOTH a les paul and a telecaster in bitch, so I guess that was edited too.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 7, 2010 16:46

But what about the suspicious possible overdubs (as mentioned on page 1 of this thread)? I don't remember these watching in the cinema. But perhaps they did overdub the odd bit heare and there. They've done it before and since.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2010 19:59

>> But what about the suspicious possible overdubs (as mentioned on page 1 of this thread)?
I don't remember these watching in the cinema. <<

the "yeah" when Mick's nowhere near a mic? yeah, that was in it at the cinema, at least where i saw it.
is the nonsynchronicity really due to overdubs, though, in the usual sense of the term,
or is it more about the audio being from a different performance than the video (which is from a couple of performances anyway, as people have already noted)?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home