Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick is a Buddhist
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:31

I remember years ago Mick visited a zen temple in Kyoto.
Ryoanji has famous rock garden.

Ryoanji

He might have some revelation from five stones (rocks) .winking smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 18, 2010 05:22

djgab
Perhaps he could remember what Lennon used to say about the Maharishi ??

maharishi was not a buddhist but a hindu.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 05:22

Great pic toru, Kyoto is truly a beautiful and serene place. Buddhism is a philosophy NOT a religion. The Maharishi is more Hindu than Buddhist, however, he practices transcendental meditation. I myself am a Theraveda Buddhist and learned it in Sri Lanka. I aspire to be that is. Meditation is the key to all types of Buddhism and Hinduism as well...there is some cross over between the two, but the distinct difference is that Hinduism is a poly theistic religion that believes in many gods. Buddhism does not believe in a god, or gods. It is interesting to read about Mick's beliefs, but I tend to be pretty skeptical when you remember that he had a Hindu wedding ceremony in Bali and then used that as an excuse when Jerry was looking for a chunk of his cash, saying it wasn't really a legal marriage. Not very Buddhist.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:00

Not trying to defend Mick, but if anything he would have identified himself as Church of England in 1990. The Balinese wedding was just an off the cuff decision where he happened to be at that particular moment. It wasn't announced or planned in advance for friends and family to attend. His kids with Jerry were baptized Church of England as well I believe.

The Buddhist interest seems to have come about around 2000 after his dabbling with the Kaballah fell away. I doubt Mick has ever been a staunch follower of any organized religion. He has an interest in such things and seems to enjoy studying them. If Buddhism or meditation give the man peace of mind, good for him. For those pointing out that Buddhism is more properly a philosophy and not a religion, my apologies. I meant no offense. They're interchangeable concepts to me.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 18, 2010 06:04

how many homes does mick have? I guess he's "not attached" to any of them...

Date: September 18, 2010 06:12

Aw, that's like picking on Lennon for not living "Imagine." Very few Christians sell all their belongings to help the poor while following Jesus, either. Religion or philosophy are all ways of coping. If someone's happy, let them be happy. That's not directed at you in particular, cc - just my take on the whole belief subject in general. It's too much like politics, no one wants to hear what they don't believe themselves.

Date: September 18, 2010 06:54

Rocky Dijon
Not trying to defend Mick, but if anything he would have identified himself as Church of England in 1990. The Balinese wedding was just an off the cuff decision where he happened to be at that particular moment. It wasn't announced or planned in advance for friends and family to attend. His kids with Jerry were baptized Church of England as well I believe.

The Buddhist interest seems to have come about around 2000 after his dabbling with the Kaballah fell away. I doubt Mick has ever been a staunch follower of any organized religion. He has an interest in such things and seems to enjoy studying them. If Buddhism or meditation give the man peace of mind, good for him. For those pointing out that Buddhism is more properly a philosophy and not a religion, my apologies. I meant no offense. They're interchangeable concepts to me.

Hey Rocky, its cool, we all are learners. But I do think there is a distinct difference between religion and philosophy. Religion believes in a higher power, a god, or gods. Buddhism does not. Nirvana is a state of being, not heaven, and the end of the cycle of re-birth, to a state of perfection. One with the universe.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 18, 2010 07:09

Surely Mick is still a Capitalist.

Date: September 18, 2010 08:37

well, I meant my remark mildly... mick certainly hasn't been trumpeting buddhism to anyone, as far as I know, and I agree, whatever works for him. It just isn't the most likely system to attract someone who has seemed so acquisitive and materialistic. As for Christians, most of them, like most adherents of any religion, are simply born into it and don't feel passionately about or understand most of its teachings. And those who convert to Christianity tend to be attracted by the personal appeal ("you are saved!"), not the social concern, at least in the US.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:25

is buddhism the trendy religion these days?

Date: September 18, 2010 11:39

Buddhism again is not a religion and the philosophy is older than Christianity.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 12:11

whitem8
Buddhism again is not a religion and the philosophy is older than Christianity.
don't they worship buddah? i thought it was a religion and a philosophy combined?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 18, 2010 12:43

In any case, Mick is not in the category of highly offensive celebrities who advertise their beliefs and presume to tell the rest of us how to live. As ever, Mick is the soul of discretion.

Date: September 18, 2010 12:43

No you do not worship Buddha! There are many types of Buddhism and like religions some misinterpret it and worship idols for good luck etc. But practicing Buddhists do not worship Buddha. There are many Buddhas, and the symbol of Gautama. And Buddha simply means "enlightened one". And Gautama reached a pure state of enlightenment through renunciation and meditation. So no, Theravada Buddhists do no worship Buddha.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 18, 2010 18:10

I think that Mick is seeking coping mechanisms and if this brings him some measure of peace, I think it's a great thing. With the possible start of a world tour and all of the stresses that this will bring ( because as we know, Mick does 99% of all the tour planning), he is trying to learn to get to the calm center. I wish I had the energy to learn this!! I don't have to go to Laos, I'm sure. And yes, Bliss, Mick does not preach like the Madonnas of the world. Mick is doing this for himself. As Stones fans, we should applaud anything that will lead to a successful tour. I know, that's selfish! Sorry Mick. I'd accept it if they decided not to do another tour; I think it would be harder to accept an official break-up of the band.
I may just do a little reading on Buddhism...I could use a little peace of mind.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: September 18, 2010 18:23

Next tour, they will play Monk Man.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2010 20:45

Dali
Next tour, they will play Monk Man.

Well said. winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2010 21:42

Bliss
In any case, Mick is not in the category of highly offensive celebrities who advertise their beliefs and presume to tell the rest of us how to live. As ever, Mick is the soul of discretion.

Exactly. Mick has never been a preacher man in telling how to live (even though he has been asked that many times and he has seen as a kind of leader or an example of certain life, or a spoke-man of movement/generation, at least when he was young, etc.) So I let this buddha-thing to be his private matter, and that's it. Not our business. There are enough of all those goddamn Madonnas and Bonos in this world. (And shit, if one really wants to preach, do it properly, a'la Dylan once did...)

By the way, as a 'follower' of academic philosophy I have always uneasy time to associate buddhism with philosophy (that I take to be a public matter open to debate, a'la science, etc.). But I guess that is a case of semantics what we mean by the term 'philosophy'. In my categories buddhism belongs to the 'religion box'; it is based on certain belief system or dogmas that offers 'given' principles, guidelines and practises - articulated or shown by certain masters - how to live one's life, etc. Anyway, I would use the term 'religion' more loosely as I would use the term 'philosophy'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-18 21:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:02

In my categories buddhism belongs to the 'religion box'; it is based on certain belief system or dogmas that offers 'given' principles, guidelines and practises - articulated or shown by certain masters - how to live one's life

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa, I couldn't describe the Stones any better, and now I know my religion.
thumbs up

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:41

Jagger was right when he sang monkey man. Enough said.

Date: September 19, 2010 02:04

MKjan
In my categories buddhism belongs to the 'religion box'; it is based on certain belief system or dogmas that offers 'given' principles, guidelines and practises - articulated or shown by certain masters - how to live one's life

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa, I couldn't describe the Stones any better, and now I know my religion.
thumbs up

Well, you know, like Andrew Loog Oldham once wrote, The Rolling Stones is a way of life... and now if that holds true:

I don't wonder at all that Mick Jagger found a conviction or a way of life that doesn't accept gods...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 02:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2010 02:12

Speakin' of The Pope, not only was he in Hyde Park today, but I reckon he was wearing Mick Jagger's white cassock. Think he even mentioned 'peace' a couple of times too. Didnt see any butterflies, though. And the Stones pulled a bigger crowd.

Date: September 19, 2010 04:34

MKjan

- Doxa

thumbs up

Again I think a big difference between a philosophy and religion is the worshipping a god. Buddhism there is no deity, as with all religions a deity is involved.

Date: September 19, 2010 11:54

whitem8
MKjan

- Doxa

thumbs up

Again I think a big difference between a philosophy and religion is the worshipping a god. Buddhism there is no deity, as with all religions a deity is involved.

I know what you mean and I think it is okay. We just use the terms a bit different way. It seems to be an important distinction for the buddhists to be not be associated with religion (and the criteria being not worshipping any gods), but like I said, I don't feel comfortable with buddhism associated with philosophy that I take to have certain academic like characterics - the public nature, argumentation, conceptual explicity, etc. For me buddhism - god or not - is more religious-like movement.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 11:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: 2001 man ()
Date: September 19, 2010 12:50

On the wall of his extra hotel room for his luggage a Buddhist quote :

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 19, 2010 18:25

Gazza
Speakin' of The Pope, not only was he in Hyde Park today, but I reckon he was wearing Mick Jagger's white cassock. Think he even mentioned 'peace' a couple of times too. Didnt see any butterflies, though. And the Stones pulled a bigger crowd.

!!!smileys with beer
I'd sure rather hear Jagger preach than that Pope. !!

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: September 19, 2010 18:40

mickschix
I think that Mick is seeking coping mechanisms and if this brings him some measure of peace, I think it's a great thing. With the possible start of a world tour and all of the stresses that this will bring ( because as we know, Mick does 99% of all the tour planning), he is trying to learn to get to the calm center. I wish I had the energy to learn this!! I don't have to go to Laos, I'm sure. And yes, Bliss, Mick does not preach like the Madonnas of the world. Mick is doing this for himself. As Stones fans, we should applaud anything that will lead to a successful tour. I know, that's selfish! Sorry Mick. I'd accept it if they decided not to do another tour; I think it would be harder to accept an official break-up of the band.
I may just do a little reading on Buddhism...I could use a little peace of mind.

Great post. Totally agree.

However, (it's the gossip in me) - didn't Mick turn Catholic before marrying Bianca? For a while he did receive instruction from the priest who married them - as every good catholic should.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2010 19:16

nkt44
mickschix

Great post. Totally agree.

However, (it's the gossip in me) - didn't Mick turn Catholic before marrying Bianca? For a while he did receive instruction from the priest who married them - as every good catholic should.

No. He undertook two weeks of religious instruction to 'understand the faith'. He didnt convert.

Date: September 19, 2010 19:29

I would imagine it was Bianca who brought the Guadalupe images to Nellcote.

Date: September 19, 2010 19:43

2001 man
On the wall of his extra hotel room for his luggage a Buddhist quote :

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little

what's the source for this info? Thanks.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home