Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: shine a light soundtrack
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 7, 2010 15:55

keefriffhard4life
"connection" is still almost unlistenable. anyone else think its weird the warhorses sound worse than tunes they don't play often

liddas
Connection is one of the higlights!

I took my wife to see the SAL in a cinema when it was there. She knows The Stones quite a bit, since I play it a lot to her :-), but she is deffinitely not a fan. She loved Connection, she asked me whether we had it on some DVD when we were leaving the cinema, so I played her the Winos version from the Palladium show. She was not impressed at all, she said that the SAL version was way better, sung with so much more passion and intensity. I think she was absolutely right. For me it is also one of the highlights and it is a shame it has been editted in the movie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-07 16:06 by Happy24.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 7, 2010 16:04

skipstone
The problem with Connection is spelled Keith Richards. When I was listening to the album I used to go to the bathroom while that tune played.

Reahearsing for the tour? :-)

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 7, 2010 16:42

Happy24
keefriffhard4life
"connection" is still almost unlistenable. anyone else think its weird the warhorses sound worse than tunes they don't play often

liddas

I took my wife to see the SAL in a cinema when it was there. She knows The Stones quite a bit, since I play it a lot to her :-), but she is deffinitely not a fan. She loved Connection, she asked me whether we had it on some DVD when we were leaving the cinema, so I played her the Winos version from the Palladium show. She was not impressed at all, she said that the SAL version was way better, sung with so much more passion and intensity. I think she was absolutely right. For me it is also one of the highlights and it is a shame it has been editted in the movie.

I agree - SAL version of Connection was great at the cinema, a lot of emotion etc. However the CD version is just not as good (although obviously it's the same performance).

I put this down to the sound system at the cinema (IMAX in Waterloo, London)...the sound was brilliant, you could hear every instrument clearly, the horns sounded great..bass was good. Overall a great experience at the cinema, the CD doesn't compare.

I know the DVD / film as a different mix, so just wondering whether to get the DVD? Maybe the mix is better than the CD.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 7, 2010 16:52

WeLoveYou

I agree - SAL version of Connection was great at the cinema, a lot of emotion etc. However the CD version is just not as good (although obviously it's the same performance).

I put this down to the sound system at the cinema (IMAX in Waterloo, London)...the sound was brilliant, you could hear every instrument clearly, the horns sounded great..bass was good. Overall a great experience at the cinema, the CD doesn't compare.

I know the DVD / film as a different mix, so just wondering whether to get the DVD? Maybe the mix is better than the CD.

Probably you should blame your home sound system, not the CD!!!

Jokes apart, yes, film and CD are two different mixes.

C

Date: September 7, 2010 17:10

<The highlight of the album for me is Some Girls and Faraway Eyes by a mile.>

I think Mick ruins FAE, too, rushing thru it totally without dynamics. I prefer the Handsome Girls version by a mile.

Some Girls is great.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: September 7, 2010 19:00

DandelionPowderman
<The highlight of the album for me is Some Girls and Faraway Eyes by a mile.>

I think Mick ruins FAE, too, rushing thru it totally without dynamics. I prefer the Handsome Girls version by a mile.

Some Girls is great.

I do not own the album but I remember that when watching the movie I cringed my teeth because of Jagger's superfast "rap" lines that absolutely did not suit the song.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:10

Happy24
keefriffhard4life

liddas

buy her between the buttons and some roses. play her the track. dude you're life is gonna be a dream.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:13

i enjoyed the rush of the first few songs and listened every night to about fifteen minutes of it but that was all. it really started to get to me without good guitars in the mix and balanced against each other; tho a lot of other aspects hung together etc...not good is my opinion on this live set as a whole.
that dreaded "a missed opportunity" winking smiley......anythe band that night was better than what they ultimately made of it imo. the production vision and emphases has sorta shifted away from other versions of the same stuff (often live) that REALLY kick it smiling smileyman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-07 20:15 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 8, 2010 02:09

WeLoveYou
Happy24
keefriffhard4life

liddas

Um, isn't Connection the tune they cut away from in the film and we miss half the performance of?

The real abomination is Little T&A -- it's also proof that they didn't do very much 'correcting' on this album at all since there are a handful of mistakes in this one performance. There are also a few in Far Away Eyes -- backups come in wrong. If they were going to fix things, they'd have fixed those no question.

I find the DVD mix annoying. I can't understand what all those level changes are supposed be about. Really? You show Keith's guitar so you pump the volume up on that one track until the shot cuts away? Ridiculous. Hated that aspect in the theatre.

I think for the most part the album sounds great and the performances are quite good. While some have criticized it, I think the Live With Me with Christina A. simply smokes. She was a little lost the first night, but the second night she screamed. And I usually hate their duets.

Sympathy For the Devil hasn't been played well since 69.

I was at both of these shows, and the album sounds better than either night did in the actual room.

J

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2010 06:08

Shattered is great on this! I was never a naysayer with SAL. I dig it...what the heck a great time.

Date: September 8, 2010 12:38

<There are also a few in Far Away Eyes -- backups come in wrong.>

That is the most hilarious part of the movie, when Keith tells the woman in the audience to "shut up" when she tells Keith that he fvcked up the lyrics grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-08 12:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 8, 2010 17:30

JMARKO
The real abomination is Little T&AJ

Right on there too. Completely forgot about that one!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 8, 2010 18:12

JMARKO

The real abomination is Little T&A --

J

I find this version of T&A very good. It is almost a different song compared to the original studio cut, and has nothing to do with those great trainwrek versions of the TY tour, BUT it swings nicely. Very happy groove.

C

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 8, 2010 23:23

Liddas, you must have Kool Aid in yer ears.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: October 2, 2010 22:35

Just wanted to tell you that Hungarian state TV (comparable to BBC1) showed the movie (with Hungarian subtitles) yesterday evening - so my wife could for the first time not just enjoy the wonderful music and pictures but also get the gist of the talking ...

Really was a great experience for her - she had never seen it this way before ...

If you'd have told anyone in communist Hungary 35 years ago: You'll have the Stones on tv , well they might have sent you to jail - or if you were lucky put you in some psychiatric ward ...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home