Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: How Much Does Blondie Actually Play Onstage?
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 30, 2010 09:37

Ale67 wrote: To my opinion they should change their whole backline or at least bring in other new faces to revive and stimulate their act"
Thank you, and sorry my temper

Are you saying you're pissed at them because there's no opening for you? Are you perhaps a musician with ambitions?

You have to consider the fact that the musicians on stage have become close friends of the Stones. So they're not only important musically - they're almost as important socially. Stones members treasure their friendships. Good people are hard to find - especially if you're loaded and can't be sure if people wanna be your friend or they just want your bucks.

Date: August 30, 2010 10:23

skipstone
If anything Leavell should get paid about $100 per show because that's what his tinkly tinklying sounds like.

The ONLY time I've ever heard Blondie's playing is on Thief In The Night on No Security.

You donĀ“t hear him on Nearness Of You (Live Licks)?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 30, 2010 14:30

Addicted
Ale67 wrote: To my opinion they should change their whole backline or at least bring in other new faces to revive and stimulate their act"
Thank you, and sorry my temper

Are you saying you're pissed at them because there's no opening for you? Are you perhaps a musician with ambitions?

You have to consider the fact that the musicians on stage have become close friends of the Stones. So they're not only important musically - they're almost as important socially. Stones members treasure their friendships. Good people are hard to find - especially if you're loaded and can't be sure if people wanna be your friend or they just want your bucks.

Oh please . .
They get payed by them too . .

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:19

Whether we like their presence or not, Addicted is correct in saying they are friends with the Stones, not just hired hands. I wish Mac was still on keyboards, too but even if he were they wouldn't be the Stones in 1981 or 1978 again. They're older and approach arrangements and performances very differently.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:32

I still don't really buy that friend thing.

But now that I learned Addicted is a lady I won't contradict no longer . .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2010 15:40

Gazza
The Greek
Gazza
kovach
Addicted
About the pay: He's among the musicians on stage who earns the least. When they're touring, the backing band gets between $10.000 and $15.000 per week.

Are you saying they backing band gets that in total, or each?

Each. They're hardly going to do it for a couple of thousand a week!!
do you know this as a fact ?this sounds absurd to me that sir cheapskate is giving money away like this ,i find this impossible to believe.

These are highly regarded, in demand professional musicians. They dont come cheap. I doubt they'd play with anyone on a tour of that scale for a couple of grand a week. Especially when the Stones are grossing $4 million per SHOW. I've heard half to three quarters of a million dollars per tour for some of 'em (more for the likes of Leavell), so Addicted's quote would tie in with that.
ok Gazza, if youre saying it then i believe you.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2010 19:03

Ale67
I respect you Gazza (you are a living legend, here) but I would never call coming from you "idiotic".

You're too kind, and apologies if I offended you (maybe our exchange was lost in translation slightly).

personal taste is one thing, and thats a perfectly reasonable opinion. Calling them 'garbage' though is a bit over the top. They didnt get to play with the Rolling Stones by being garbage. And the Stones are more capable of seeing talent in someone than you or I will ever be.

I agree with your remark about being a long time fan and seeing the band's skills decline. Its an unfortunate reality. However, thats precisely the reason why they need to rely on support musicians more with each successive tour. And whilst I'd also like to see things being shook up a bit and maybe some changes made, it's kind of natural that they feel more comfortable relying on musicians they know and have played with for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 19:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: August 30, 2010 19:24

I don't see how there can be any debate about how much Blondie is playing onstage. He's all over the mix. If you listen to the live Glasgow 2006 BBC broadcast, you can clearly hear a third (rhythm) guitar, with a different tone from Keith and Ronnie's. Most notable on Jumping Jack Flash, where Keith plays the intro lick, the 2nd guitar comes in with the bass and drums, and Ronnie is playing lead. Anyone who says they can't hear Blondie is probably not aware of what is really happening with the 3 guitars in the mix.

Listen to that Glasgow broadcast again, and pay attention to the tone of the electric guitars. There are definitely three of them on quite a few songs. And Blondie is almost always playing rhythm.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home