Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
TRUE STEREO PETITION to ABKCO
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 21, 2010 14:27

Here ARE the true stereo versions of "Satisfaction" and "Get Off Of My Cloud," which only came out in the mid-80s on the German and Japanese Hot Rocks CD. To this day ABKCO Records, along with 24 Stones songs recorded in stereo in the 1960s, have never commercially released this version. I have also included a link to a petition to get ABKCO to release all 24 songs that have never been released in true sterero. I would appreciate your help in signing the petition. It would make a great 2-CD set for the Stones 50th Anniversary in 2012.

LINK TO TRUE STEREO PETITION
[www.petitiononline.com]

The 24 Unreleased Tracks
The Last Time
Play With Fire
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Abkco claims it’s in stereo but sounds more like simulated stereo)
Get Off Of My Cloud
As Tears Go By
Mercy Mercy
Hitch Hike
That’s How Strong My Love Is
I’m Free
The Singer Not The Song
She Said Yeah
Blue Turns To Grey
Gotta Get Away
The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Good Times
Cry To Me
The Spider And The Fly
One More Try
19th Nervous Breakdown
Mother’s Little Helper (Only released in stereo on the UK Aftermath)
Sad Day
Long Long While
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
Who’s Driving Your Plane?

Rob

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-05 03:16 by originalstones.

Re: TRUE STEREO version of Saisfaction and Petition
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:20

While they are at it, they could add the original mix of Ruby Tuesday too.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:35

Great jangly acoustic guitar work by Brian! ABKCO sucks.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 15:38

good luck with that, abkco is the least fan friendly record company on the planet.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 21, 2010 19:32

Thanks! Who is playing piano? Jack Nitzsche or Stu?

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: August 21, 2010 20:03

Nitzsche is

Date: August 21, 2010 20:04

Doctor Dear!
Nitzsche is

How can you tell?

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 20:09 by originalstones.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 21, 2010 21:13

stones78
Thanks! Who is playing piano? Jack Nitzsche or Stu?

I don´t think this has been verified - could be Nitzsche, Stu or even Brian, as the piano part doesn´t sound too difficult.

And the acoustic guitar may have been played by Keith...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 21, 2010 21:19

Lynd8
While they are at it, they could add the original mix of Ruby Tuesday too.

The original (stereo) mix with the "extra" vocal overdub on the refrain - which is missing from the 2002 remasters - is available on the 2007 remastered "Rolled Gold +".
...though I actually prefer the 2002 mix, it sounds more relaxed and natural to me!smiling smiley

Re: TRUE STEREO version of Saisfaction and Get Off Of My Cloud + Petition
Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 22, 2010 04:57

Who cares, I want Kana

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 22, 2010 05:31

I have always loved those weird reverby fills Keith plays after Mick sings the the title at the top of each verse. Hard to tell if he turned the maestro fuzz box off for those parts or not. Really shines in the stereo mix.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 22, 2010 06:18

Tele,
I love that part too. At around the 35 second part, you can hear a click sound, which is alleged to be the sound of Keith hitting the foot pedal that switched the fuzz box back on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 22, 2010 06:44

Reagan
Tele,
I love that part too. At around the 35 second part, you can hear a click sound, which is alleged to be the sound of Keith hitting the foot pedal that switched the fuzz box back on.

Thanks Reagan, I'll check that out.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 22, 2010 06:59

not superior to the mono version imo. but then i'm used to that admittedly.
still, the hard panned (right) jangle acoustic sounds much better (to me) as PART of at the mix, woven, so to speak, iIN with other instruments.

the acoustics on brown sugar were used in this layered manner i'm pretty sure; and they are mega imppactful but not necessarily hard panned isolated and distracting to the whole.....stereo mix or not (whatever they play on the radio), ...

...seemed it didn't kinda just leap out hard right all by itself like the acoustic here. i don't think it works cohesively; more of a distraction. still, interesting. thanx much for posting. i hadn't heard it before!! really cool to hear this.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 22, 2010 07:53

Beelyboy <---- What he said.

Ive heard this on the radio before and Mono suits these songs much better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-22 07:58 by ryanpow.

Date: August 22, 2010 09:06

satisfaction on hot rocks 2002 remaster is in stereo but it's so narrow that you basically have to wear headphones to notice it

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 22, 2010 23:34

when i originally got the Hot Rocks cd's back in the eighties I had not heard the stereo versions. They knocked me out at the time but since then I've gone back to the mon mixes, it would be nice to have these mixed well.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 23, 2010 00:31

The stereo 'Get Off Of My Cloud' makes the recording feel like a completely different song. Keith's riff is almost inaudible on the mono mix.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 23, 2010 17:14

Sometimes stereo works sometimes not so much.

I always found the mono versions of many early songs (Satisfaction as well) much better and to the point.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 23, 2010 17:43

Stereo versions of the early songs is nice variations, but the songs where recorded to be mixed in mono. Therefore I understand why only a handful of the early songs is in stereo on the re-releases.

Date: August 23, 2010 20:24

Interesting comments all around. From what I've found, there are essentially three mixes of Satisfaction: a) the classic mono, b) the wide stero posted here (which is commonly used on US radio stations, and was available on some non-US versions of Hot Rocks in the 1990s), and c) the narrow stereo version available on the 2002 abkco remasters of Hot Rocks and Big Hits (but not on Out of Our Heads or Singles Collection).

My ears find the classic mono version to be a little muddled (even on the 2002 remastered SACD of Out of Our Heads US) in terms of clarity. Both of the stereo versions sound clearer. The narrow stereo version barely qualifies as stereo as the only instrument that has any kind of separation is the acoustic guitar (and may be the product of some artificial reverb). The wide stero has Keith on the left (along with Bill and Charlie), Brian (playing the acoustic) and the piano on the right, and Jagger in the middle. I have two problems with the wide stereo version: the mix and the speed. The mix is sort of even in volume, which means not enough Keith and too much Brian. To me, the song is about Keith's guitar all the way through (fuzz box on and fuzz box off). Keith's guitar should dominate. But it doesn't. The wide stereo version is also a touch faster than the other two. And being that it's different than what I know, it sounds odd to me. I have no idea which version represents the intended speed of the song, it may be the case that the wide stereo version is correct. But in this case, different sounds wrong (I didn't have the same reaction to the remastered, faster tracks on Beggar's).

That said, my preferred version is the 2002 abkco remastered narrow stereo version. It has the same speed and mix as the mono version (in terms of relative volume of the instruments), but benefits from greater clarity.

Final notes: all three versions have the same click sound at about the 35 second mark (alleged to be the sound of Keith hitting the foot pedal to engage the fuzz box - the click is even on the proper channel, Keith's, in the wide stereo version). The vocals sound the same down to the last "get no" on the fade out. So, it looks like all three are from the same master tracks (I have seen speculation that the wide stereo was actually an alternate take). My guess is that in 2001/2002 abkco pulled the mixed mono master and remastered it for the albums where they wanted the mono version, but for the narrow stereo version they transferred (and subsequently mixed down) the original 4 track (or what have you) stems, accounting for the clarity difference. I have no idea why it wasn't released as a properly mixed wide stereo version when they had to opportunity to do so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-24 18:37 by Reagan.

Date: August 24, 2010 12:34

The 2002 remasters generally tries to avoid W-I-D-E stereo mixes. Listen to the prime example "Aftermath"; where the original mixes is super-wide, the remasters has a narrowed stereo perspectve. Actually I like it more that way, because it gives a more 'consistent' picture, sound wise. The wide mixes are fine, but has a little too much seperation, which gives a split perspective.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 24, 2010 15:11

Reagan
on the 2002 abkco remasters of Hot Rocks and Big Hits (but not on Out of Our Heads or Singles Collection).

The Singles Colection features the mono mixes as that's how they they were released at the time.

Does anyone here know what the Stones first stereo 45rpm was? 'Brown Sugar'?

Date: August 24, 2010 18:20

Wild Horses. Second was Happy.

Posted by: vicdrow ()
Date: August 25, 2010 00:06

Reagan
Interesting comments all around. From what I've found, there are essentially three mixes of Satisfaction: a) the classic mono, b) the wide stero posted here (which is commonly used on US radio stations, and was available on some non-US versions of Hot Rocks in the 1990s), and c) the narrow stereo version available on the 2002 abkco remasters of Hot Rocks and Big Hits (but not on Out of Our Heads or Singles Collection).

My ears find the classic mono version to be a little muddled (even on the 2002 remastered SACD of Out of Our Heads US) in terms of clarity. Both of the stereo versions sound clearer. The narrow stereo version barely qualifies as stereo as the only instrument that has any kind of separation is the acoustic guitar (and may be the product of some artificial reverb). The wide stero has Keith on the left (along with Bill and Charlie), Brian (playing the acoustic) and the piano on the right, and Jagger in the middle. I have two problems with the wide stereo version: the mix and the speed. The mix is sort of even in volume, which means not enough Keith and too much Brian. To me, the song is about Keith's guitar all the way through (fuzz box on and fuzz box off). Keith's guitar should dominate. But it doesn't. The wide stereo version is also a touch faster than the other two. And being that it's different than what I know, it sounds odd to me. I have no idea which version represents the intended speed of the song, it may be the case that the wide stereo version is correct. But in this case, different sounds wrong (I didn't have the same reaction to the remastered, faster tracks on Beggar's).

That said, my preferred version is the 2002 abkco remastered narrow stereo version. It has the same speed and mix as the mono version (in terms of relative volume of the instruments), but benefits from greater clarity.

Final notes: all three versions have the same click sound at about the 35 second mark (alleged to be the sound of Keith hitting the foot pedal to engage the fuzz box - the click is even on the proper channel, Keith's, in the wide stereo version). The vocals sound the same down to the last "get no" on the fade out. So, it looks like all three are from the same master tracks (I have seen speculation that the wide stereo was actually an alternate take). My guess is that in 2001/2002 abkco pulled the mixed mono master and remastered it for the albums where they wanted the mono version, but for the narrow stereo version they transferred (and subsequently mixed down) the original 4 track (or what have you) stems, accounting for the clarity difference. I have no idea why it wasn't released as a properly mixed wide stereo version when they had to opportunity to do so.

The best post around here in a long time. Thanks, Reagan.

You may wish to extend your Satisfaction experience by listening to the instrumental version found on e.g. The Black Box. (If you haven't already).

One final note: I would have used the terms "version" and "mix" in a slightly different way but never mind. I may return to this in a later post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-25 00:10 by vicdrow.

Date: August 25, 2010 02:22

Hey thanks, Vicdrow.
I was a little sloppy with the terminology. Not happy with some of it myself.
I haven't heard the instrumental version yet. I'll have to check that out.

-Reagan

Date: August 25, 2010 08:47

personally i think the wide stereo mixes work well in vinyl format but not as well in digital

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 25, 2010 19:51

This may sound odd but i first listened to these stereo tracks the other day, on Get Off My Cloud the major difference to me was hearing Keef playing the riff, then today at work GOMC came on the radio and I could hear the riff belting out! Maybe the readio station has a rare copy or I'm going mad?

Date: August 25, 2010 20:24

Beelyboy
not superior to the mono version imo. but then i'm used to that admittedly.
still, the hard panned (right) jangle acoustic sounds much better (to me) as PART of at the mix, woven, so to speak, iIN with other instruments.

the acoustics on brown sugar were used in this layered manner i'm pretty sure; and they are mega imppactful but not necessarily hard panned isolated and distracting to the whole.....stereo mix or not (whatever they play on the radio), ...

thumbs up

Date: August 26, 2010 05:29

flairville
This may sound odd but i first listened to these stereo tracks the other day, on Get Off My Cloud the major difference to me was hearing Keef playing the riff, then today at work GOMC came on the radio and I could hear the riff belting out! Maybe the readio station has a rare copy or I'm going mad?

You heard right. A lot of radio stations play the stereo mixes of "Get Off Of MY Cloud" and "Saitisfaction". The stereo mixed were released on some radio promo CDs, and the Japanese and German issue of the Hot Rocks CD from the 1980s had them as well. I can't figure out why ABKCO Records won't release the stereo versions once and for all. They put out stupid crap like remixes by Fatboy Slim and the Neptunes of "Sympathy For The Devil", "I'm Free" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home