Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The Faces in Randers, Denmark.
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 20, 2010 16:58

I'll soon be going up there. Man I can't wait.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:19

JumpingKentFlash
I'll soon be going up there. Man I can't wait.

Neither can we wait to hear your review. Enjoy.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 20, 2010 17:39

Monkeytonkman
All I can say to the doubters on here is - Go and see, make you're own mind up!

Went to Goodwood, and if anything was not going with an open mind, was going to be very subjective in my judgment.

Went to buy a T-shirt, but when I saw that Hucknall's face was on the front with his name on it, I walked away. Couldn't stand the thought of having the piss and vinegar taken out of me when I got back to my local (rock) pub. Then after a moments consideration I thought 'well, when I get home I can iron over his face and name and then wear the T with pride!'

Talked to a few people who had been to the O2 gig and they had a knowing look in their eyes, as if they were in on a secret, talking to me they could tell that I was doubtful, but all I kept hearing back was 'wait and see'

Well, I saw em, and now I'm in on the secret. You're not gonna know if you don't check em out. but for my money it was a great gig. Hucknall was part of the band, a tight but loose working unit that weaved together and played great rock n roll.

but hey, don't take my word for it. just an opinion, and we all know what they are like winking smiley

By the way, I haven't taken the iron to the T-shirt yet

and all this from they guy that desperately wanted Spike from the Quireboys to fill rodders shoes (still wouldn't mind that if the ginger one stepped aside!

rock on man, always

A nice post!

Of course, selling Faces without Rod is like selling The Stones without Jagger but despite that - and semantics - most likely there is good rock and roll show in its own terms offered there. Yeah, Kent and the rest, enjoy!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 20, 2010 19:23

uh uh - after seeing those first two shows, i'd bank on saying that seeing the faces without rod is by far the better option these days. i trust the opinion of those who have seen rod lately and came away singularly unimpressed. but he does still wow them in dubai, apparently...

Have a GREAT time all you guys going - you are in for a real treat!!!

I'm not jealous really...

Date: August 20, 2010 19:33

Beast
uh uh - after seeing those first two shows, i'd bank on saying that seeing the faces without rod is by far the better option these days. i trust the opinion of those who have seen rod lately and came away singularly unimpressed. but he does still wow them in dubai, apparently...

Have a GREAT time all you guys going - you are in for a real treat!!!

I'm not jealous really...

Indeed. I saw Rod within the last couple of months at the O2 (twice in fact), and yes ... did enjoy it. He's kind of doing bits of everything these days, greatest hits, a single refererence to his Faces days (just GUESS which song that was), and the American songbook stuff. He's keeping well, but the voice has lost a little something for sure. But speaking of the reborn Faces, having also had the benefit of seeing them at the O2 and Goodwood, I'll fully endorse the above view; seeing the Faces without Rod is by far the better option these days.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:08

Tonights set

1. Miss Judy’s Farm
2. Too Bad
3. Had Me a Real Good Time
4. I Wish It Would Rain
5. Maybe I’m Amazed
6. Flying
7. Debris
8. Ooh La La
9. (I Know) I’m Losing You
10. I’d Rather Go Blind
11. Cindy Incidentally
12. Pool Hall Richard

Encores:
13. Feel So Good
14. Stay With Me

Concert review & pre-show backstage report [both in Danish]: [ekstrabladet.dk]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:24

Only a thousand attended.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: August 21, 2010 03:40

Review.

After an hour-long drive to Randers we got to the gig. Not a big place by any means, and it wasn't packed either. I got a place in the front with Glen Matlock right before my eyes. First off, there was the warm-up act. Danish band The Raveonettes. They couldn't get the crowd going until their last song. Pretty boring. It's rock music, but it's of the strip club/street wannabe variety, so thanks, but no thanks. I also met Matt Lee (Of course HE was front AND center - A great fan). I think I saw some other IORReans talking to Matt, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. Didn't wanna give up my spot. smiling smiley So The Raveonettes came and went, and a half hour later it was time for The Faces. First came Mac, coffee cup in hand. Then the rest came in. They kicked off with Miss Judy's Farm. Now I can't remember the setlist exactly, and I don't know the names to some of their songs. I do, however, remember what I could read from the setlist taped to the floor (So much for The Plexiglass eh? Maybe Tim should re-name it The Floor when The Stones aren't touring). In no particular order I remember Miss Judy's Farm, Plynth, Stay With Me (Last encore), I'd Rather Go Blind (Awesome), Flying (Cool), Had Me A Real Good Time, Debris, Oh La La, Cindy Incidentally and Pool Hall Richard (Christ that rocked). Ronnie seems like the band leader and he really gave it all tonight. I'd rate it 6 of 6 stars. They all played great. With Ronnie you're sure to get a fe bum notes, but he hides them so well. He really, REALLY kicked major ass. Ronnie was awesome tonight. Believe me. I hope this show gets out on DVD, but it probably won't. I saw Ronnie's girl sitting in front of the fence (She threw her arms around Matt). She filmed about half the concert with a small handheld. Mick Hucknall was certainly great too. That boy can sing. His highlight tonight was the second to last song. It was a blues, but the name escapes me right now. I'm still @#$%& pumped after this concert. It's hard for me to write anything consistent about it. It was almost as good as a Stones concert..... Almost. One good thing was that Ron didn't seem constricted by Mick or Keith. That boy can play.

I'd go again in a heartbeat. Not much more to say.....
Except for maybe.....
I bought a cool looking t-shirt (Black with a grey Faces logo on the front).

Oh yeah. I got Ronnie Wood's pick from Stay With Me. Did I forget to mention that? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
The story behind it was as follows: There was one guy two places besides me. He had a sign saying "Ronnie - Pick please". Ron gestured that he couldn't throw him one, as he was about to play the harp. So after Stay With Me, he threw it out in the center of the crowd, and threw one to the guy next to me after that. When the lights went on, I walked over to the spot where it landed and picked it up. Right in front of Matt's feet in fact. I'm sure he don't mind, since he has so many. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 21, 2010 03:41

And sorry for no pics. Can't find the @#$%& USB cable.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 21, 2010 07:26

Cheers Kent, seems like you had you a "real good time" ... and would we have expected any less of yourself and the good Matt Lee to be right up front of stage. Can you help out by the way with a translation of the review in Ekstrabladet ? Hopefully it's positive ? Can't imagine not ?

[ekstrabladet.dk]

So if HARVEY GOLDSMITH OR RONNIE WOOD OR IAN MACLAGAN OR MICK HUCKNALL ever read this thread, mid size club tour of the UK, Europe, the States, Australia ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!

Fankyew fankyew fankyew !!!

Date: August 21, 2010 11:02

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 11:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 21, 2010 11:02

Very positive review, pauly!

The reviewer writes that Stewart shouldn't be too sure to get his old job back if he should want that.

Only negative was Jones' drum solo and Woody's "slide show medley". He thought the solos were misplaced.

"They were swinging like teenagers" + "a loose version of the Stones".

Wish I had been there...

thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 21, 2010 11:33

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. That's great

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 21, 2010 12:12

You heard of google translate, paulywaul?! It's sometimes laughable but at least it gives an idea:

It has always been hard to tell Faces without smiling. Friday evening it was almost impossible.

35 years after Faces disbanded, this sloppy, charming alternative to the Rolling Stones back and front of 1,000 delighted audiences at the plant in Randers sounded English rock'n'roll gang, which had jammed every day at the pub since 1975.

Led by a tremendously enthusiastic Ronnie Wood swingede and swayed veterans' unbridled boogie, so it was a delight, and Schlager as' Miss Judy's Farm ',' Too Bad 'and closing' Stay With Me 'appeared supple as if it were teenagers, we had dealing with.

Glen Matlock from The Sex Pistols replaced the late Ronnie Street with a star turn on bass, Mick Hucknall lived it so convincingly and velsyngende into the role of Rod Stewart, the Faces' original front man can not be sure he can get his old job back.

Game Turning nostalgic
Hucknall and the word respect can thus experienced in the same sentence for the first time, but a liret guitar feature of Wood and Kenney Jones' drum solo was just so out of place as we were some who feared Hucknall would be.

Otherwise, it was 80 minutes of play reverse nostalgia with nerve and presence, and the Faces gave moving versions of the Lanes 'Debris' and The Temptations '' I Wish It Would Rain ', but humørsprederne's first and foremost a party band, and "Pool Hall Richard' and 'Ooh La La' felt like New Years Eve.

Those who laughs last ...

Date: August 21, 2010 12:14

Thanks for the review, Kent - glad you had yourself a real good time thumbs up

For good measure, here's a link to a Faces forum with comments/reviews on the previous two shows:

[www.the-faces.com]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 21, 2010 12:18

Hello,

Nice words,Kent...still makes me smile to read that Ronnie and the rest of those reprobates are having a ball!
Good for him.

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 21, 2010 12:19

Can't wait for them coming to Maastricht drinking smiley
...or the AB in Brussels will do as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 12:26 by Harm.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 21, 2010 12:22

Fantastic, Kent!

Date: August 21, 2010 15:04

Found the USB cable now. The pics aren't very good, since it's a 5 year old camera, and the security said that it was all right to do some photos as long as it was without flash. That was a problem because my camera can't turn off the flash in the mode I have to use for concerts. They're the same quality as the ones I did in London, 2007 if you've ever seen them. I guess it's better than nothing. Here goes.

The Raveonettes.

The crowd.

Glen and Ronnie.

The band.

Same.

The Rembrandt of Rock.

Mick Hucknall.

Woody.

Glen Matlock.

Ronnie.

During the Temptations cover.

Glen.

Strike a pose - Vogue. smiling smiley

Kenny Jones.

Best shot of the lot.

Goodbye.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Barne090 ()
Date: August 22, 2010 00:24

Pictures and reviews from the very good gig from last night:

Gaffa

Kpn.dk

Amtsavisen

Date: August 22, 2010 00:26

Very nice, thanks

-------------------

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 22, 2010 00:33

So here´s my short review:

Right on, Kent! I think we witnessed the real Ronnie, who is a great
talented musician and a FANTASTIC guitar player. Like in the old days,
you might say. He carried the whole set with his guitar: rhythm or lead.
Whatever was needed. The guitar from the first track (Judy´s Farm) to the
end was so crystal clear, loud, hard rocking, heart warming and simply good.
Hucknall has a great Rock´n´Roll voice, on the soul tracks he was outstanding!
Mac and Kenney played great as always, they had so much fun that the "thing"
is finally under way! And Glen Matlock is a true rocker! Great basslines!

Me and TM, my buddy were driving 350 km from northern Germany. We listened
to his radio show and were in a good mood. But would Ronnie carry all
that weight? Could he play all those notes? Could he concentrate on all those
changes in tempo etc.? Or would he just play as all the Ronnie haters and
some other experts (some on IORR) expected?

He was brilliant. I was watching him 90% of the show. He was sober,
concentrated, technically in fine form and played at full volume
right into our @#$%& faces. We were so glad to see him keeping that
Rock and Roll spirit alive. He is, apart from Charlie, interested
in playing live and has a lot of fun doing it. He is ready to tour: Faces
and Stones. Just turn up his volume and give him something to do,
Mick + Keith!

To all those who couldn´make it but wanted: Mac said "there will be more
shows next year"! So prepare for that!

To all the bashers. I´m sorry for you.

He are my pics:

>grinning smiley<

Gotta go to sleep now.
Had Me A Real Good Time!

Date: August 22, 2010 00:38

Great again and thanks again

-------------------

Date: August 22, 2010 00:55

I also went to see the Faces with a big Faces fan (my father in law (63) last night. I have to admit that I don't know the Faces very well. (too young 43spinning smiley sticking its tongue out). But I am a big Ron Wood fan. After we arrived we passed by the backstage door were some people were waiting for the band. I saw some Stones t-shirts and people with Faces lp's. But decided to walk to the entrance to see the concert hall. But when turned I almost bumped into Ronnie and his girlfriend. "Hello Ronnie good to see you are here" I could say to him while I started looking for my camera. He took some time to sign lp's and books. So I got some nice pics of him! smiling bouncing smiley
Then we went to see the Raveonettes. OK but not where we had been waiting for (their first cd is brilliant by the way). Security was looking after cameras during their gig. So mine was hidden! Then at about 21.20 the Faces came on stage. What an energy right from the start! WOW! You could see that they were enjoying it to play and to play together. Mick Hughnall's voice matches very much Rod's voice in the old days ... Glen Mattlock is singing along like a big fan (wasn't he a PUNK???) And Ronnie is playing very concentrated and very well. It was nice to see him in good form again. Playing in a band is doing him well. (So Mick Taylor fans; Ronnie Wood is guitarist in the Rolling Stones together with Keith. End of discussion on this Forum smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2010 01:05

Part 2

The did not play that long but it was very good. And the sound in Værket was perfect.
Hope to see some video's on Youtube so the rest of the world can see it.

Here is a link to my photos of the concert. Managed to make about 180 pictures and even during the Faces people were told to put their camera away.

The Faces in Randers 20/08/2010

I had a great night. Thanks to JumpingKentFlash for the cheap ticket!
Tip: when the Faces are playing in your town GO AND SEE THEM!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2010 01:33

Thanks for the reviews and pics, guys. Good to hear that Ronnie's doing well.

Date: August 22, 2010 01:41

Great pics and reviews, Kent, TooTough and Barne090 - many thanks. How was the crowd reaction?? Excellent advice from Barne090 also - miss this band at your peril!! And yes, TT - those bashers have had their day.

More brilliant shots and review on Rocks Off:

[rocksoff.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-22 01:51 by Beast.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:28

What an awesome trip. It was literally hours before the flight when I decided to go and how glad I am that I did. We arrived early in the morning on the same flight as Chris the saxophonist (a very charming guy) and the crew. Randers is apparently famous for having the only full time Elvis museum outside American and slightly less famous for having the only piggy bank museum in Denmark. Randers has a large number of pretty pedestrian streets that made losing some time there very pleasant. The town was alive with the festival spirit and everyone we met was exceptionally welcoming.

When we arrived at the venue, a beautifully converted former power plant a reception was being set up. Not long after the foyer was full of smartly dressed people and no sooner than we wondered what was going on the Mayor introduced himself and offered us a glass of Champagne!

I then wondered around the venue just as Ronnie went for a walk with Glen Matlock. I enjoyed watching Ronnie engage with fans taking time to sign or have photos with everyone who asked.

It was then time to go back inside and take up a central spot ready for the gig. In summary it was nothing short of totally awesome. Myself and the few others that were lucky enough to have been to the previous two shows universally voted this final part of the trilogy being to the best. Mick Hucknall, nervous at the O2 and in Ronnie’s shadow at Goodwood stepped up and led the grooving leaving Ronnie to concentrate on executing some truly divine guitar work.

Ronnie nailed it all, from delicate work on I’d Rather Go Blind to an absolutely world class solo medley that would have baptised even the most hard core of Ronnie sceptics to the faith. Of all the many Ronnie moments I have enjoyed his performance in Randers is right up there among the best of them.

Good to see you again Kent. Too Tough we must have met when I checked out your signed album but forgive me for not knowing it was you!

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 22, 2010 03:37

Barne090
Ronnie is playing very concentrated and very well. (So Mick Taylor fans; Ronnie Wood is guitarist in the Rolling Stones together with Keith. End of discussion on this Forum smiling smiley

No this is not the end of the discussion it is just starting but with a twist. All the messages about the Faces reunion are beaming with bewilderment about how great Ronnie can actually play, both rhythm and lead. So what is the problem with the Stones guitar section, is it Ronnie? No, clearly not.....is it Keith..????? And not just Keith's playing of the last decade which is obvious, but also his unhealthy influence on his guitar counterparts, take Keith away (with his late night parties etc) and see how good Wood can play. Wood can easily play Keith's parts but Keith can't play his own parts no more. And if the Faces can tour without Rod (that even being called the better obtion) and very succesfully so than surely the Stones must defenitly be able to tour without Keith and as it stands now that will be the better obtion. Invest in Taylor get him healthy again, and than with Wood and Taylor in a clean healthy fresh guitar duo the Stones can come up with quite some surprises before the final curtain, i'm sure.

Date: August 22, 2010 03:44

touring w/o Keith is like touring without Charlie.
Why bother - Mick needs MORE money? I agree with
getting Tayor trim & in fighting shape though.
I know who I'm putting my money on...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home