Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Van Halen New Record With Roth
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 10, 2010 19:26

[new.music.yahoo.com]

Ed's son could play bass

play that guitar boy

Re: OT Van Halen New Record With Roth
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 21:00

great news.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 10, 2010 22:06

It's about F'in time!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 10, 2010 22:36

That´s really good news!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 10, 2010 22:56

Great band. Only ONE DLRoth - he's the man. Great show last time -- 2-3 years ago.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 11, 2010 07:26

I'm ecstatic that these guys got back together, and I think it's great they are recording again too. With Roth, they are one of my all time faves. But I doubt the album will be worth a damn. It will like be generic sounding crap, like most everything these days is.

I've really lost faith in all the major, top level, mainstream type rock over the last 15 years. I just don't relate to rock/hard rock "product" anymore. It all sounds so bland now.

Nirvana was probably the last major, radio-friendly unit shifter I liked. They killed hair metal, which I felt was a good thing, and I loved their music, but they also ruined everything since.

Thanks Nirvana!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 09:31

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: August 11, 2010 10:20

bustedtrousers
I'm ecstatic that these guys got back together, and I think it's great they are recording again too. With Roth, they are one of my all time faves. But I doubt the album will be worth a damn. It will like be generic sounding crap, like most everything these days is.

I've really lost faith in all the major, top level, mainstream type rock over the last 15 years. I just don't relate to rock/hard rock "product" anymore. It all sounds so bland now.

Nirvana was probably the last major, radio-friendly unit shifter I liked. They killed hair metal, which I felt was a good thing, and I loved their music, but they also ruined everything since.

Thanks Nirvana!

They killed hair metal AND rock'n'roll. Now both are back in style again. And grunge is out.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 11, 2010 10:21

this is good news, just wish they'd ditch Wolfgang and get Anthony back in the mix

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: August 11, 2010 10:28

bustedtrousers

Thanks Nirvana!

I noticed the song reference. Nirvana's "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" off of In Utero.

Date: August 11, 2010 19:23

Great band

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 19:39

UGot2Rollme
this is good news, just wish they'd ditch Wolfgang and get Anthony back in the mix
amen anthony was a vital part of the band

Date: August 11, 2010 22:49

EVH will probably play the bass parts on the album

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 11, 2010 22:52

It will collapse a week into the 'recording session'.
Don't get to excited.

Date: August 11, 2010 23:30

no. Too much $$$

Date: August 12, 2010 02:33

DandelionPowderman
bustedtrousers

Thanks Nirvana!

They killed hair metal AND rock'n'roll. Now both are back in style again. And grunge is out.

And I couldn't be happier that grunge is out.

Except for a very brief period early on, I never really liked it. I just liked Nirvana, mostly because of the second half of Nevermind, the first half of Incesticide, and, at the time, In Utero. The rest I could pretty much take or leave. I think they were a great band during their time, but I don't think they're aging well at all.

As far as hair metal and Rock n' Roll being back in style again, I can't say I agree. I just don't see it. I'm not trying to start an argument, and I don't know everything that is going on by any means. I gave up listening to the radio about 10 years ago, so maybe there are things I'm missing. But a Stones re-release that was popular for a couple of weeks, Tom Petty's annual album, and the fact that bands like the Black Crowes and Black Keys (and I really like the Keys) are able to carve out a consistent niche for themselves, hardly means Rock n Roll is in style again. I wish it were, but I just don't see it.

With this in mind, is there something I'm missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 02:58 by bustedtrousers.

Date: August 12, 2010 02:41

akgameboy
bustedtrousers

Thanks Nirvana!

I noticed the song reference. Nirvana's "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" off of In Utero.

Haha! I was hoping someone would catch that.

And it fits, they were the last band I really liked that also got a lot of radio play. I guess I could say the White Stripes were, but they only got about 6 months with two songs off of Elephant. And where I lived at the time, you had to listen to about four hours of nu-rock/nu-metal crap before you got to hear them.

Date: August 12, 2010 02:53

oops.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 02:59 by bustedtrousers.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 12, 2010 03:44

mickscarey
no. Too much $$$

I agree with the comment of Nirvana not aging well.Listened to Nevermind
the other day for the first time in years and the songs are good but
it didn't give me the goosebumps like it did when it came out

I always liked alice in chains better even still today.There new is album
is really good and i think there music still stands up today as it did then

just my 2 cents

Date: August 12, 2010 04:22

jaggerman
mickscarey
no. Too much $$$

I agree with the comment of Nirvana not aging well.Listened to Nevermind
the other day for the first time in years and the songs are good but
it didn't give me the goosebumps like it did when it came out

I always liked alice in chains better even still today.There new is album
is really good and i think there music still stands up today as it did then

just my 2 cents

Right on. And like anything to do with music, it's going to come down to personal taste.

I still think the halves of Nevermind and Incesticide, like I mentioned, are aging better than the rest, but that's an example of personal taste, ain't it. I loved In Utero when it first came out, and unlike Nevermind, I liked it pretty much all the way through. But I listened to it within the last year sometime, and it did little for me. Which is rather depressing.

Alice in Chains, I can't say I agree with you there. I thought Man In The Box was absolutely amazing back then, but it does little for me now. I remember thinking Dirt was a really good album, but they lost me after that. It's not all their fault though. They had a hard time from Layne, it's amazing they were able to record as much as they did.

I'm not knocking your tastes at all, if you like something, you like it. I think a lot of music from the 80's onward isn't aging as well as music from previous eras. I think music from the 30's and 40's, before rock and roll, sounds more relevant than a lot of the stuff from the last 25 years. Music seems much more disposable now, very little seems to be standing the test of time.

Music today seems to have minimal staying power. Even stuff I was crazy about 3-4 years ago, like the White Stripes is already starting to lose it's appeal with me. I swear, it doesn't matter how many times I hear a Stones song like Bitch, I never get sick of it. Very few songs from recent years do that for me now.

Date: August 12, 2010 05:14

nirvana sucked

Date: August 12, 2010 05:23

keefriffhard4life
nirvana sucked

I can see why some people would think that. They certainly weren't on a level with the Beatles, Stones, or other such groups.

Date: August 12, 2010 07:15

soundgarden, AIC and pearl jam were all better than nirvana

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:41

Munichhilton
It will collapse a week into the 'recording session'.
Don't get to excited.
I'll give them a bit longer than that. They'll put the album out....And then somewhere areound the first or second month of the tour the whole thing will self implode.....Like usual. The fact that Eddie refuses to bring back MA shows his control issues. Roth is only along to pick up a paycheck.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: August 12, 2010 08:21

keefriffhard4life

Now we're getting into personal taste, and for me, those three didn't do as much for me as Nirvana did. Back then would have been another story, but at this point, I can't say Nirvana is any better than any of them. These days, I'm none too thrilled with a lot of the stuff from the 90's, and the songs by Nirvana that I still like don't seem all that grunge too me. Maybe that's why you say they suck.

Date: August 12, 2010 10:05

bustedtrousers
keefriffhard4life

Now we're getting into personal taste, and for me, those three didn't do as much for me as Nirvana did. Back then would have been another story, but at this point, I can't say Nirvana is any better than any of them. These days, I'm none too thrilled with a lot of the stuff from the 90's, and the songs by Nirvana that I still like don't seem all that grunge too me. Maybe that's why you say they suck.

the songwriting and skills of the players in the 3 bands i named were just better. the lyrics to nirvana tunes make zero sense

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 11:41

i loved nirvana when they were a band but kurt's suicide soured me on them. i can only listen to a few songs now. plus i get so tired of hearing how nirvana saved us all from hair metal. those bands were party bands and were never taken to be serious artists. if nirvana saved us, it wasn't for long because the quality and quantity of good music has declined drastically over the past 20 yrs

Date: August 12, 2010 13:19

keefriffhard4life
bustedtrousers
keefriffhard4life

the songwriting and skills of the players in the 3 bands i named were just better. the lyrics to nirvana tunes make zero sense

That's still an opinion, and I feel they were all equally talented, with the exception of Kurt's guitar playing. The guitarists in the other bands were more advanced players than Kurt was.

As far as lyrics go, that's opinion too. True, Kurt's can be less straight-forward and more impressionistic and metaphorical, but to some people they make perfect sense, especially if you know his story. He's not the only one to write that way, either.

Just look at these gems from Soundgarden's Mailman:

Hello don't you know me
I'm the dirt beneath your feet
The most important fool you forgot to see
I've seen how you give it
Now I want to receive
I'm sure that you would do the same for me

Exactly what in the hell is that supposed to be about? It sure doesn't seem like he's singing about a mailman. I was thinking maybe a homeless guy, at least in that verse, but I read the rest, and they don't clear it up or make much sense either. Like most of Nirvana's lyrics, they're pretty allegorical. More to the point, how are they any better or worse than anything by any other band?

When it comes to lyrics, you either like them, don't like them, or could give a shit either way because you just like the song regardless.

It's still a matter of taste. I don't think any of the bands you named are better than each other, or Nirvana, or vice-versa. I may prefer Nirvana, but I don't think they're any better.

The others do have more advanced guitar players though, that's not opinion, that's fact.

Date: August 12, 2010 15:20

ghostryder13
i loved nirvana when they were a band but kurt's suicide soured me on them. i can only listen to a few songs now. plus i get so tired of hearing how nirvana saved us all from hair metal. those bands were party bands and were never taken to be serious artists. if nirvana saved us, it wasn't for long because the quality and quantity of good music has declined drastically over the past 20 yrs

plus killed the black crowes as far as being a huge mainstream band

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:38

Gentlemen, was´nt this thread about Van Halen?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home