Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Mick Taylor canceled... again
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2010 22:58

MT-related topics get one of the most hits when it comes to Stones on IORR.
How come? smiling smiley

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: August 17, 2010 23:06

Albett - Wish I was sitting right behind you so I could blow my whistle at every
Taylor solo... - SUFFER!!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 17, 2010 23:52

OpenG
Hi Ablett and MLC - yes I am going with wife if it plays here in DC. Hope you guys are well and enjoying the exile release. PMS and the end of the summer.

play that guitar boy.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Taylor to come back to the states. I'd be very surprised if he ever toured the US again. Or if their was much interest in him touring.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 00:28 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: August 18, 2010 00:25

SCL-
OpenG mentioned that he would attend if it plays in DC.

"IT" is referring to the film L & G, not to "the deity".
As it happens, the film illustrates very well why the two get mixed up quite often. winking smiley

Date: August 18, 2010 00:30

Lightnin'
SCL-
OpenG mentioned that he would attend if it plays in DC.

"IT" is referring to the film L & G, not to "the deity".
As it happens, the film illustrates very well why the two get mixed up quite often. winking smiley
Oh ok. So that makes what 3-4 different threads mixed into this one? Hell maybe we should just make this the only thread on IORR.......I mean Mick Taylor is the only thing that matters right?winking smileywinking smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 18, 2010 00:36

"Wish I was sitting right behind you so I could blow my whistle at every
Taylor solo..."

Dirty old man!!

;-)

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: August 18, 2010 00:43

kleermaker

As far as I've understood the explanation of Lightnin' it was the Pier organisation ignoring the message that was given by Taylor's manager.

Quote Lightnin': <When he heard (from friends) he was on the bill for a festival in Santa Monica, he gave his UK manager instructions to rectify this mistake. That is almost 2 months ago now - nothing was done.
If you want to know more, the promoters of the Pier festival are aware by who they were misled, so you can talk/write to them.>

But there are always people here who like to put the blame on Taylor if they see even a tiny chance to do so.

Not quite, kleermaker.
What I meant to say was that things only got straightened out when Taylor got directly in touch with the festival. At that point they discovered false information was given out by booking agent working closely together with Taylor's so called management in UK (their scam was to confirm gigs without telling MT. Even when Taylor gave specific instructions to mgmt to unbook Santa Monica, they still did not inform the festival).
The promoters of the Pier festival are not holding Taylor responsible and will be happy to work with him in future - on his own terms.

Date: August 18, 2010 01:48

Albett - plan on wearing my " Mick Taylor Band" Tee-shirt that night.
And I do have the loudest whistle you have ever heard. Will be blowing it
thru: Dead Flowers & Love In Vain to the delight of the Mick Taylor fans out
here in So. Cal..

Enjoy - MLC

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 18, 2010 01:57

sweetcharmedlife
.....I mean Mick Taylor is the only thing that matters right?winking smileywinking smiley

No, absolutely not, SCL. The coffee thread is also of much importance.

Really, I like reading the posts there and all the other little and bigger anecdotes elsewhere. I like to know that Silver Dagger's favourite football club is Manchester City and that Addicted was taken to a Stones show in 1965 by his dad, being 7 years old, that Tele is a professional expert on baseball suits, that swiss had water problems in Maine some time ago etc. etc. I love to read all that stuff. I don't care about ACDC etc., though I have not any objection to those OT-threads either.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 18, 2010 02:44

Amsterdamned
MT-related topics get one of the most hits when it comes to Stones on IORR.
How come? smiling smiley

MT is ubiquitous on IORR.

Too bad he can't make it to his own scheduled shows.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 18, 2010 07:23

In memory of the Pier gig that was to take place this Thursday, SCL and I are going to the pier this Thursday. If anyone wants to come down, we will most likely meet at the Britannia Pub in Santa Monica around 5:30 to 6 before heading down to the pier.

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 09:31

Great interview on Gibson.com:

"And you’re back on the road now, right?

Well, not entirely. A couple of weeks ago, we did a show in Poland and we did three shows in Italy and we came home. And then a week later, we did a show in France and then a show in Suffolk, which is in England. And then we did a show two days later in France. So I’m keeping busy, but I’m not doing any major tours, yet. No, not ready to do that yet."

More on [www.gibson.com]

Great to hear he feels better smiling smiley

Date: August 18, 2010 10:32

Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele
The fact that he chose to try to play MT's solos means those parts were so strong that they became identified with the songs, i.e., you can't think of "Sway", for example, without thinking of Taylor's part.

I would have a listen to this one if I were you, even if it's Taylor solo. As an exception.

The difference between Taylor and Wood on improvising melodies-both not playing slide- is the fact that
Taylor is a more advanced player when it comes to phrasing, timing, and timbre.
Some people appreciate that, conscious or unconsciously, others don't.
The Kleermaker clip above is a perfect example.
It's only a part of the Stones game though.

That's true, but even Taylor is very limited in phrasing, whether he is playing with Mayall, the Stones, Dylan or as a solo act. The variety of phrasing is not his main strength, his tone and sense of timing is.

Agreed, he's no jazz, jazzrock or fusion player.

Luckily, he isn't!

Date: August 18, 2010 10:47

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele
The fact that he chose to try to play MT's solos means those parts were so strong that they became identified with the songs, i.e., you can't think of "Sway", for example, without thinking of Taylor's part.

I would have a listen to this one if I were you, even if it's Taylor solo. As an exception.

The difference between Taylor and Wood on improvising melodies-both not playing slide- is the fact that

That's true, but even Taylor is very limited in phrasing, whether he is playing with Mayall, the Stones, Dylan or as a solo act. The variety of phrasing is not his main strength, his tone and sense of timing is.

Luckily, he isn't!

Your musical logic is unclear to me.

Date: August 18, 2010 15:35

Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele

Luckily, he isn't!

If he were (a jazz, jazzrock or fusion player) he never would have been a member of the Rolling Stones!

Date: August 18, 2010 15:37

FolkyFireKitten1
Great interview on Gibson.com:

"And you’re back on the road now, right?

Well, not entirely. A couple of weeks ago, we did a show in Poland and we did three shows in Italy and we came home. And then a week later, we did a show in France and then a show in Suffolk, which is in England. And then we did a show two days later in France. So I’m keeping busy, but I’m not doing any major tours, yet. No, not ready to do that yet."

More on [www.gibson.com]

Great to hear he feels better smiling smiley

Thanks, FFK.

He's obviously slowly rocking on. Very good.

Date: August 18, 2010 16:10

kleermaker
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele

Luckily, he isn't!

If he were (a jazz, jazzrock or fusion player) he never would have been a member of the Rolling Stones!

You got it, kleermaker. Quite logic, actually winking smiley

Date: August 18, 2010 17:39

71Tele
kleer, listened to PMS again on Sunday (after putting it aside for a while) and could not help thinking/daydreaming about what might have been had Mick J. had ten tunes ready for MT to add his magic to, rather than just one. Do you suppose he thought during the session "this is pretty good, maybe we could do more of it", or if it was just a one-off, get it in the can and go. Oh, to be a fly on the wall of that studio...

Tele, I think the latter: "get it in the can and go". MT's thing on PMS wasn't only important for the song, but also created a welcome rumour amongst the fans and provoked questions in interviews.

I can't look into the bosom of the band but if they are going to tour I won't put any money on a guest apperance of Taylor.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 18, 2010 17:44

kleermaker
71Tele
kleer, listened to PMS again on Sunday (after putting it aside for a while) and could not help thinking/daydreaming about what might have been had Mick J. had ten tunes ready for MT to add his magic to, rather than just one. Do you suppose he thought during the session "this is pretty good, maybe we could do more of it", or if it was just a one-off, get it in the can and go. Oh, to be a fly on the wall of that studio...

Tele, I think the latter: "get it in the can and go". MT's thing on PMS wasn't only important for the song, but also created a welcome rumour amongst the fans and provoked questions in interviews.

I can't look into the bosom of the band but if they are going to tour I won't put any money on a guest apperance of Taylor.

I wouldn't either. Reading between the lines I don't think Keith would be open to it.

Date: August 18, 2010 18:09

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele

I would have a listen to this one if I were you, even if it's Taylor solo. As an exception

Luckily, he isn't!

You got it, kleermaker. Quite logic, actually winking smiley

Apparently they couldn't get Jeff Beck aboard...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-18 18:10 by Amsterdamned.

Date: August 18, 2010 18:12

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
71Tele

Luckily, he isn't!
some of the finest playing in the world by mr. 335 himself LARRY CARLTON and ROBBEN FORD.wow larry's solo made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.i first had the luxury of hearing MR.335 back in 1977 when a coworker of mine turned me on to the crusaders and i was blown away as this was my first introduction to jazz (fusion) .very good taste sir for this great video !!!!!!

Date: August 18, 2010 18:14

Thanks!winking smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 18, 2010 19:08

BluzDude
In memory of the Pier gig that was to take place this Thursday, SCL and I are going to the pier this Thursday. If anyone wants to come down, we will most likely meet at the Britannia Pub in Santa Monica around 5:30 to 6 before heading down to the pier.

gonna try to trip down and say hi. you'll know it's me. i'll be the one NOT talking about my screenplay.

Date: August 18, 2010 19:12

Beelyboy
BluzDude

gonna try to trip down and say hi. you'll know it's me. i'll be the one NOT talking about my screenplay.
Yeah Beely,but I'd bet if you did have a screenplay it would be a lot more interesting then most. Come on down man. We'll trade warhorse stories.smileys with beer

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 18, 2010 19:21

yeh think i can!! i mite skip the crowd at the pier afterwards tho. we'll see. be great to see y'all. pretty sure i can make that work!!

Date: August 18, 2010 21:02

Re: Mick Taylor canceled... again new

kleermaker

71Tele

I wouldn't either. Reading between the lines I don't think Keith would be open to it.

Tele - Keith said in the latest interview: If I had mt way, Mick Taylor would still be in the band!!! That doesn't sound like he would object to a sit-in.

MLC

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 18, 2010 21:35

MCDDTLC
Re: Mick Taylor canceled... again new

kleermaker

71Tele

Tele - Keith said in the latest interview: If I had mt way, Mick Taylor would still be in the band!!! That doesn't sound like he would object to a sit-in.

MLC
Hi MLC - do you by any chance have "Mick Taylor - Lone Star Cafe 1986" with Keith Richards on Key to the Highway and Can't You Hear Me Knocking? Do you know where it can be downloaded? Is it good?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 18, 2010 22:21

Bring MT back for the finale
Clean him up and get him in good physical shape.Go out with a bang and not a boring whimper.
Smart as a marketing tool and a breath of fresh musical air.If you wanna sell a $250 concert ticket in a global recession,it may make sense
but what do I know.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2010 22:26

I find this deification of Mick Taylor fascinating. He contributed his bit to the Stones and then he moved on. I don't know the guy so I can't say how how sorry I feel for him having a hard time getting his life together. It was great to hear him contribute to Plundered My Soul, just as it was great to hear Wyman's bass again on a Stones cut. I doubt either of them will appear on the Stones 50th anniversary lap around the world. No group is less sentimental than the Stones. Their albums post Wyman have been mostly abysmal. I rarely put on VoodooBabylonBang. They actually sound better live now than they did in the 80s or early 90s, even though Charlie seems to be slowing. Taylor had a short, brilliant arc with the group that expanded their sound a bit, and then he rapidly faded under the weight of his own problems. Everybody knows what he contributed, and maybe Ron Wood doesn't have the pyrotechnic abilities that Taylor possessed 40 years ago,but Ron is very solid. Chuck Leavell ain't Nicky Hopkins, and Darryl Jones ain't Bill Wyman, but I don't see them being replaced at this point. But I'll be there to see them when they hit the stage. Everything else is wishin' and hopin'.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 18, 2010 22:44

The addition of Mick Taylor on a Stones' tour might be the only significant change that is possible this late in the game. We all know it probably will not happen - but wouldn't you want to see Taylor with the Stones again? There's plenty of room for Richards, Wood and Taylor. It could not hurt the much maligned guitar section. Seems silly and stubborn to say - nah, I don't want to see Taylor - I'm loyal to Woody.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home