Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Mick Taylor canceled... again
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 24, 2010 17:29

The Greek
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
<no one has to worry about any name.>

When Mick or Keith is missing, they will worry. Trust me.

Only when Mick is missing. Mick is the only very well known Stone. Keith isn't. Keith can be missed today. I think Behroez is right, though it sounds like sacrilege. So I think: only No Mick = No Stones.

Yeah, Mick thought that himself in the mid-eighties, but he came crawling back with the tail between his legs.

People don´t know who Keith is? Do you seriously believe so?
that's the gospel truth because the ticket buying public will not shell out the bucks for some imposters.that's it in a nut shell why jagger solo career went nowhere .nobody gives a rat a#$ to see jagger with jimmy rip on guitar .this is so funny to me that people think the stones are jagger and his big lips .please gimmie a break .the stones have always been a band !!!!

the same can be said for the so-called current "faces" - the buying public ain't fooled by the impostery of it all....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 24, 2010 17:52

StonesTod
The Greek
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
<no one has to worry about any name.>

When Mick or Keith is missing, they will worry. Trust me.

Only when Mick is missing. Mick is the only very well known Stone. Keith isn't. Keith can be missed today. I think Behroez is right, though it sounds like sacrilege. So I think: only No Mick = No Stones.

Yeah, Mick thought that himself in the mid-eighties, but he came crawling back with the tail between his legs.

People don´t know who Keith is? Do you seriously believe so?
that's the gospel truth because the ticket buying public will not shell out the bucks for some imposters.that's it in a nut shell why jagger solo career went nowhere .nobody gives a rat a#$ to see jagger with jimmy rip on guitar .this is so funny to me that people think the stones are jagger and his big lips .please gimmie a break .the stones have always been a band !!!!

the same can be said for the so-called current "faces" - the buying public ain't fooled by the impostery of it all....
that's all i am saying .see you understand where i am coming from .

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 24, 2010 19:17

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker
Exactly: "has been": that's the past. We're talking about todays' situation.

Now here is something concerning grammar that I would like one of my English friends to explain.
The Greek posted: The Stones have always been a band.
If and when I am correct this means that they still are a band. And I suppose this is what the Greek wants to tell us.
Kleermaker wants to tell us that the Stones no longer exist as a band.
I think that the correct expression then ought to be: The Stones always were a band.
Thanks to anyone for explaining.

Interesting and good question Hansie. I think I can explain it to you too. But I won't give a language lecture here. Let me just give you this Dutch link:

[nl.wikipedia.org]

And this explanation in English:

"Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Progressive

Use
Both tenses are used to express that an action began in the past and is still going on or has just finished. In many cases, both forms are correct, but there is often a difference in meaning: We use the Present Perfect Simple mainly to express that an action is completed or to emphasise the result. We use the Present Perfect Progressive to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action."

So one can interpret it both ways. But I obviously interpreted it as "an action [that] is completed", to "emphasise the result", the result being that the Stones are a different band nowadays than they were in the past.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 24, 2010 20:16

DandelionPowderman

Here you make a small but fatal error. Let's go back to the Pink Floyd analogy. Roger Waters was the man behind The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon (the Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash of Pink Floyd) he was the frontman, composer, singer the face of Pink floyd. but when Floyd went on tour WITHOUT Roger Waters (Momentary Lapse of Reason and the Division Bell tours) Floyd filled stadiums full of people and was front page news, Waters went on tour the same time but he could hardly fill any small avenue. It's the name my friend, the power is in the name (Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd), like i said people come to see the name. Roger Waters learned that same lesson the hard way as Jagger had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-24 20:18 by behroez.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 24, 2010 22:21

kleermaker
We use the Present Perfect Simple mainly to express that an action is completed or to emphasise the result. We use the Present Perfect Progressive to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action.

Thanks for pointing out that I was correct then.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 24, 2010 22:30

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker
We use the Present Perfect Simple mainly to express that an action is completed or to emphasise the result. We use the Present Perfect Progressive to emphasise the duration or continuous course of an action.

Thanks for pointing out that I was correct then.

No that's a wrong conclusion, because it concerns in our case the Present Perfect Simple tense (The Stones have been).

Date: August 24, 2010 22:37

Now where are the English lads and lassies when you need them ? smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: August 24, 2010 22:39

Rolling Hansie
Now where are the English lads and lassies when you need them ? smiling smiley

I don't need them for this question. It's easy. All languages are basically the same.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 24, 2010 22:43

behroez
DandelionPowderman

Here you make a small but fatal error. Let's go back to the Pink Floyd analogy. Roger Waters was the man behind The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon (the Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash of Pink Floyd) he was the frontman, composer, singer the face of Pink floyd. but when Floyd went on tour WITHOUT Roger Waters (Momentary Lapse of Reason and the Division Bell tours) Floyd filled stadiums full of people and was front page news, Waters went on tour the same time but he could hardly fill any small avenue. It's the name my friend, the power is in the name (Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd), like i said people come to see the name. Roger Waters learned that same lesson the hard way as Jagger had.

DandelionPowderman, you made no error.

Date: August 25, 2010 01:28

kleermaker
I don't need them for this question. It's easy.

I know you don't need them and probably never needed them, because you have always been so good with the English language. I always thought I was quite good too, especially when I was younger. But lately since I have been aging, I did become a little bit more careful and doubtful. Therefore I was asking if any of our English members would be able to shine a light on this smileys with beer

-------------------

Date: August 25, 2010 01:49

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker

I know you don't need them and probably never needed them, because you have always been so good with the English language. I always thought I was quite good too, especially when I was younger. But lately since I have been aging, I did become a little bit more careful and doubtful. Therefore I was asking if any of our English members would be able to shine a light on this smileys with beer

Hansie, your English is perhaps better than mine, but I'm quite sure my old Greek is better than yours. In both Latin and especially old Greek this kind of questions is so to speak the order of the day. Actually all issues concerning the tenses and their meaning don't differ in Dutch and English. Well, it would be interesting if someone like 71Tele, who is always keen on grammar and spelling (and arguing) would join the discussion.

Date: August 25, 2010 02:15

kleermaker
You know I'm not good at jokes

kleermaker
I'm quite sure my old Greek is better than yours

Really LOL this time. Yeah sure, you are not good at jokes and it was The Greek who posted: the stones have always been a band !!!!
Man, you are hilarious.

-------------------

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 25, 2010 03:21

i suck at grammar. this discussion is making me present tense perfect. i feel like a noun and and need a verb. or to verb with a noun. nounette actually.
i don't even care if she can read.

Date: August 25, 2010 03:28

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker
You know I'm not good at jokes

kleermaker
I'm quite sure my old Greek is better than yours

Really LOL this time. Yeah sure, you are not good at jokes and it was The Greek who posted: the stones have always been a band !!!!
Man, you are hilarious.

I've always tried to be serious.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 25, 2010 08:46

kleermaker
Rolling Hansie
kleermaker

Hansie, your English is perhaps better than mine, but I'm quite sure my old Greek is better than yours. In both Latin and especially old Greek this kind of questions is so to speak the order of the day. Actually all issues concerning the tenses and their meaning don't differ in Dutch and English. Well, it would be interesting if someone like 71Tele, who is always keen on grammar and spelling (and arguing) would join the discussion.

I have been taking a bruising lately (an Americanism) so I thought I'd sit this one out...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home