Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Mick Taylor canceled... again
Posted by: matinil ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:34

Just found out Mick Taylor canceled the free show on the Santa Monica Pier in LA.

This is the second show he cancels in the Los Angeles area.

Anybody knows why?

Re: Mick Taylor canceled... again
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:38

No, but I know the Stones can't use a musician who can't come to the shows...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 8, 2010 21:57

Addicted

Such a predictable reaction.

Things seem to be more complicated than an 'unreliable' Mick Taylor.

See this thread, especially the end of it:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 8, 2010 22:00

kleermaker
Addicted

[www.iorr.org]
What is so complicated about taking responsibilty for your own career. Get some reliable management and schedule a reasonable tour. Keep yourself fit enough to make the shows and all of a sudden you might have a decent career.

Date: August 8, 2010 22:08

sweetcharmedlife
kleermaker
Addicted

[www.iorr.org]
What is so complicated about taking responsibilty for your own career. Get some reliable management and schedule a reasonable tour. Keep yourself fit enough to make the shows and all of a sudden you might have a decent career.

As far as I've understood the explanation of Lightnin' it was the Pier organisation ignoring the message that was given by Taylor's manager.

Quote Lightnin': <When he heard (from friends) he was on the bill for a festival in Santa Monica, he gave his UK manager instructions to rectify this mistake. That is almost 2 months ago now - nothing was done.
If you want to know more, the promoters of the Pier festival are aware by who they were misled, so you can talk/write to them.>

But there are always people here who like to put the blame on Taylor if they see even a tiny chance to do so.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 8, 2010 23:06

Addicted
It's cancelled because MT is in studio with Mick, Keith and Charlie recording material for the new Stones CD....
Actually, it is not written on MT's homepage that he will play in LA.
And, there are no plans at all that Mick T will join Stones on the next Stones tour in 2011/2012. Maximum, if it at all, he will play a few songs in a consert or two.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 8, 2010 23:43

this was covered on 'any mick taylor news' thread. mick didn't flake according to posts there. it was some kind of agentry booking thingamajing they claim. with some credibility it's fair to say...i'm totally disappointed as i live right there, but i'm not gonna smoke on taylor for this. it could be entirely unfair and unfounded.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2010 23:49

Ronnie Wood have turned up! Sorry, couldn't resist smoking smiley

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: August 9, 2010 00:02

i see Mick Taylor 20 days ago in Genova,
the guy is nervouse, many trouble on stage,
No encore, only 1 hour of show.
No words and disponibility after show...very strange.
I have see 4 taylor concert and ths is the first time without a smile for fans.
Have problems, is shure.
Sici

Date: August 9, 2010 00:23

crumbling_mice
Ronnie Wood have turned up! Sorry, couldn't resist smoking smiley

I thought he had gone up in smoke, as we say it heresmoking smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 9, 2010 00:35

General word in the Stons camp a couple of years ago was that Taylor "is unreliable". Wonder if it has changed in the meantime.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 9, 2010 01:46

Taylor is unreliable due to his massive consumption of alcohol. He is bloated to the point where it was inevitable due to his age, that his heavy drinking would haunt him some day. Something tells me that he is not a happy man at this point in is life and living form paycheck to paycheck isn't what a former Rolling Stone should be doing.
I love his playing and wish him the best and as a side note, he was quite a nice guy when I met him in 1995 in Los Angeles.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 9, 2010 01:49

WRONG INFO WAS DELETED...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 02:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 9, 2010 01:55

I think you looked at an old listing Max. I just checked. No MT. [www.santamonicapier.org]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 9, 2010 02:05

I navigated through this page
[www.santamonicapier.org]
using the "Click to read more" ...
and it gave me the other out dated page.

If you navigate using the
"Twilight Dance series" link on the top of the page it gives correct info.

I was wrong...... sorry, to make up for it ...
here is a concert review from the Bettye Lavette show in KC last night.
[backtorockville.typepad.com]

Kansas City Star Review: Bettye LaVette August 8, 2010
Bettye LaVette was to have signed autographs after her show Saturday night at the Folly Theater, but a Folly representative came out and said LaVette was under the weather and that the show took a lot out of her, so she would not be available for autographs.

But during her concert, presented by Cyprus Avenue Live at the Folly, there was not one sign that this powerhouse performer was under the weather. She certainly showed no signs of fatigue. In fact, the opposite seemed to be the case as the slender 64-year-old soul singer proved to be as flexible in body as she was in voice; her gyrations during “You Don’t Know Me at All,” from her 2007 album Scene of the Crime, could make her a winner on So You Think You Can Dance.

But she was here to promote her new album, Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook, which has her taking British Invasion-era songs and soulfully Americanizing them. After her band opened the show with a scorching rendition of Procol Harum’s “Whisky Train,” LaVette’s athletic voice could be heard from offstage.

Then she entered stage right, looking resplendent in a black one-piece pantsuit and delighting the 600 or so people present with her version of “The Word.” You might not have recognized it as a Beatles tune at first hearing, with its R&B dressing and a solid bluesy groove, but one got the impression that John Lennon would have loved it.

If Lennon would have approved of “The Word,” then surely George Harrison would have given his imprimatur to “Isn’t It a Pity.” The slow, sensitive blues tempo LaVette set was a showcase for that flexible voice of hers. She even sounded in better voice than she does on Interpretations, on which can be heard an expressive voice but one that has a worn center. That wasn’t the case here, especially during her heartbreaking phrasing, which was complemented by a crying guitar solo from Brett Lucas.

The sound of heartbreak could be heard again in the Moody Blues’ “Nights in White Satin,” which had LaVette bringing home the words “I love you.”

There were songs LaVette performed that put the original recordings to shame. Ringo Starr’s “It Don’t Come Easy” was one of them. If any song lends itself to soulful interpretation, it’s this one, and LaVette poured her soul into it.

Not all was heartbreak and desire, though. She did a bang-up version of Led Zeppelin’s “All My Love,” including its rhythmic interlude of quickly changing chords. And she delighted in introducing songs such as “A Woman Like Me,” saying it won a W.C. Handy Award. And when she announced Ray Charles’ “They Call It Love,” she said, “This is from my Grammy-nominated CD (The Scene of the Crime). I love to say that,” even though it wasn’t a Grammy Award winner.

Unfortunately, the sound was problematic all evening long, never more so than during the introductions of the band members when high squeaks of feedback sometimes made their names unintelligible. (For the record, the band members were Alan Hill on keyboards and rhythm guitar, Darryl Pierce on drums, Chuck Bartel on bass and Lucas on lead guitar.) And during her vocals, the sound was often shrill on not only the high notes but lower, powerful ones as well. Nonetheless, Bettye LaVette’s stellar performance overcame any sound problems.

Setlist: Whisky Train, The Word, I Still Want to Be Your Baby (Take Me As I Am), Isn’t It a Pity, They Call It Love, Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood, Nights in White Satin, You Don’t Know Me at All, Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me, All My Love, A Woman Like Me, Love Reign O’er Me, It Don’t Come Easy, Salt of the Earth, Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad. Encores: I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got, Before the Money Came.

| Robert Folsom, Special to The Star

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 02:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 9, 2010 02:17

No problem Max. Thanks for the BL review. Whatever the reason for the Taylor cancellation. The pier sure had Bettye Lavette ready to go as a quick replacement. Sounds like she puts on a fun show and I'm nor really worried about getting her autograph so it's all good.lol.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 9, 2010 05:43

Without being too intrusive, what are his health issues? Does he still smoke?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 9, 2010 05:50

Midnight Toker
Taylor is unreliable due to his massive consumption of alcohol. He is bloated to the point where it was inevitable due to his age, that his heavy drinking would haunt him some day. Something tells me that he is not a happy man at this point in is life and living form paycheck to paycheck isn't what a former Rolling Stone should be doing.
I love his playing and wish him the best and as a side note, he was quite a nice guy when I met him in 1995 in Los Angeles.

i don't find any actual substantiation for these views tho i can't say they are not categorically true. i just wouldn't assume so without personal access to better info from him and his mgmt. i appreciate Sici's review above but the same could be said for van morrison's behavior at one of the most intense brilliant nights of his amazing career. he says thank you. maybe. he's not a smiley chatty fellow. i think some recent examples of his playing are great. recent pix look like he lost a lot of weight. i'm giving taylor every benefit of doubt in any rumor department. mick asked him to the studio. he showed and performed. there is huge increased love and respect for taylor HERE, and elsewhere, these last few years...the show got cancelled. all that really means is the show got cancelled. could be any number of agent booking mgmt. city official kinda screw ups. easily could be.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2010 06:13

alimente
General word in the Stons camp a couple of years ago was that Taylor "is unreliable". Wonder if it has changed in the meantime.

Why would the "Stons camp" have anything to say about Taylor's reliability "a couple of years ago" when they have not needed to "rely on" him in over three decades?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 22:34 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 9, 2010 11:03

mckalk
Without being too intrusive, what are his health issues? Does he still smoke?

I've seen him playing on youtube 3 times after he fell ill.
Didn't see a single cigaret in his mouth or between his guitar strings..
His voice sounded a bit more clear to me...

Date: August 9, 2010 11:47

Some people seem to know everything about Taylor. But like Beely said it's merely speculation. Based on unclear and insufficient info and antipathy, not on true knowledge. We just don't know how he is doing at the moment.

Posted by: Keef Rider ()
Date: August 9, 2010 12:22

I attended MT gig July 20th in Genova ... sad to say but he is now an "ex musician" ... was not able to introduce the band 'cause ... he did not remembered the names! Really a pain ...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 9, 2010 12:25

Keef Rider
I attended MT gig July 20th in Genova ... sad to say but he is now an "ex musician" ... was not able to introduce the band 'cause ... he did not remembered the names! Really a pain ...

Do you have any footage ? Painfull news..sad smiley

Posted by: Keef Rider ()
Date: August 9, 2010 12:33

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 9, 2010 17:08

Keef Rider

Just because someone fails to introduce the band does not make them an "ex musician". You are conflating two separate things.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 9, 2010 18:31

71Tele
Keef Rider

Just because someone fails to introduce the band does not make them an "ex musician". You are conflating two separate things.
He seems to remember the lyrics in his songs - then he isn't that bad. Have seen younger people forgetting peoples names.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 18:38 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 9, 2010 18:35

I forget names more and more often

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 9, 2010 21:00

I saw mick taylor in london at the 100 club,he was brilliant,he spoke to the fans and gave us autograph and lets take photos too,he has got his problems like everyone else just enjoy the music he gave us,his guitar playing is brilliant when he gets his chops together.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 9, 2010 22:19

And he certainly has some chops these days

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 9, 2010 23:27

71Tele
alimente

Why would the "Stons camp" have anything to say about Taylor's reliability "a couple of years ago" when they have not needed to "rely on" him in over three decades?

You are trying to challenge me, right?

The message is clear enough. What else do you want? Time? Locataions? Names? Who said exactly what?

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home