Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 9
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 28, 2010 12:28

MacPhisto
TeaAtThree
MacPhisto
I'm totally with Erik Snow and Nikolai. A 1978 summer (or december) show or a gospel show would have been my favourites for another Bootleg Series, too.

I'm happy that there is a new BS to be released, but I think they put too much emphasis on the 60s (especially early 60s) given the man's incredibly diverse career. A gospel show would have been a more daring but also a more interesting move I think.

There are some great Gospel era boots on Expectingrain.com -- Look for "the Child's Balloon" (1981 New Orleans) and Rock Solid (1980).

Thanks for mentioning Child's Balloon, teaatthree, I didn't know that one yet.
Rock Solid is great, unfortunately it's not a complete concert. My favourite so far is Toronto 1980 (Gospeller), an excellent soundboard recording I downloaded just recently from hungercity.

The Fox Warfied theatre shows (San Francisco) of November 1980 are, to me, the strongest shows from 1979-1981. Some of them Warfield shows are available in excellent quality, and others are not quite that good. SO just look around for those that comes in the best quality. You can't go wrong with Nov 11th, Nov 12th or Nov 16th (bootleg for that show: "Wear The Fox Hat" ) for instance

But those other suggestions by TeaatThree are great as well....especially "Child's Balloon"
But also; Houston 1981, most of the London shows of 1981 plus Knoxville 1980 are not to be missed

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 13:40

Erik right on the money for Wear the Fox Hat! That show is stunning and full on gospel Zimmy. I love it! As is Child's Balloon...whew that would be great to have a box set from that period.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2010 14:22

Agree on the Nov. 1980 shows being the best of the Gospel Years. I'd go further and say they're a better run of shows than anything since (maybe the Sept/Oct 2000 European leg would run 'em close).

As for '81, good though the Earls Court run was, I actually think the Scandinavian gigs are better.

Date: July 28, 2010 14:30

Gazza
As for '81, good though the Earls Court run was, I actually think the Scandinavian gigs are better.

Oh yes - how could I overlook them....and even one of the norwegian concerts in SBD quality - all Scandianavian shows were excellent

But one think I really like about the London shows - is the "great pompous hall quality" for those recordings. Very different from most other Dylan recordings I know. Earls Court is not known to be a good sounding venue from what I understand....but it really suits Bob's performance there in 1981. "Slow Train Coming" for instance; sounds like a heavy-weight train going through a tunnel.

That's probably why I thought of the London shows, before other European shows of 81.....the dramatic ambiance in the recordings

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 28, 2010 14:34

The Gospel Years were smokin'. I love the version he played of "When He Returns" back then. I am not religious but that song moves me deeply, Dylan is speaking from his heart in that song and his genius is open. Amazing vocal phrasing. Total commitment to the song.

Me personally I am looking forward to the "Hard Rain" TV broadcast being released on DVD. I was hoping this would be the next Bootleg Series. Surely it will be released officially one day? It would make a terrific addition to the Bootleg Series and being a DVD it would bring a great visual history to the series.

What do you think the chances are of "Hard Rain" being officially released?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 28, 2010 14:53

bolexman
The Gospel Years were smokin'. I love the version he played of "When He Returns" back then. I am not religious but that song moves me deeply, Dylan is speaking from his heart in that song and his genius is open. Amazing vocal phrasing. Total commitment to the song.

Me personally I am looking forward to the "Hard Rain" TV broadcast being released on DVD. I was hoping this would be the next Bootleg Series. Surely it will be released officially one day? It would make a terrific addition to the Bootleg Series and being a DVD it would bring a great visual history to the series.

Hard Rain TV Special is great but only if you don´t know the Clearwater Special recorded a month before and never shown

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 28, 2010 15:01

MacPhisto
TeaAtThree
MacPhisto
I'm totally with Erik Snow and Nikolai. A 1978 summer (or december) show or a gospel show would have been my favourites for another Bootleg Series, too.

I'm happy that there is a new BS to be released, but I think they put too much emphasis on the 60s (especially early 60s) given the man's incredibly diverse career. A gospel show would have been a more daring but also a more interesting move I think.

There are some great Gospel era boots on Expectingrain.com -- Look for "the Child's Balloon" (1981 New Orleans) and Rock Solid (1980).

Rock Solid is great, unfortunately it's not a complete concert. My favourite so far is Toronto 1980 (Gospeller), an excellent soundboard recording I downloaded just recently from hungercity.

Thanks for the heads-up man. I'm downloading it now.

Well worth checking it and tracking down are the first Warfield, SF residencies. Bob preaches to the audience. When they start yelling at him to play some of his old songs, he tells them the Antichrist is in the house and they're all going to hell. Priceless.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:02

bolexman

Really really nicely put about the Gospel Tour, bolex. I don;t think he ever sang with such commitment, care and genuine passion again. That's one tour I'd absolutely loved to have seen.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2010 15:05

You think? the Clearwater show is better, bluesinc? For me, the Fort Collins one is far superior.

Some of those performances have never been bettered - the vitriol pouring out of his voice (especially when set aside the backdrop of his estranged wife having turned up and confronted him just before the gig) added to the fact that he looks so ragged, make for great (if at times, uncomfortable) viewing. 'Idiot Wind' may well be the greatest single Dylan performance of all time.

I'd absolutely love to see a full length version of that show. Especially as it would have included the version of 'Youre a Big Girl Now' that was on the live album, but left off the telecast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 15:06 by Gazza.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:09

bluesinc.
bolexman

Hard Rain TV Special is great but only if you don´t know the Clearwater Special recorded a month before and never shown

Haha... Yep I know this one. I'm a huge fan of Rolling Thunder I and II.
There is something about the desperate rawness on the "Hard Rain" show that I love. It's real. I have a bootleg with awesome quality and it has grown on me over the years to be my favourite Dylan DVD... His version of "I Pity The Poor Immigrant" is so good! Great guitar sound too, plenty of reverb and twang.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:12

Gazza and Bluesinc maybe they could release all the filmed shows from that tour, as a DVD package? Powerful addition to the Bootleg Series.

Date: July 28, 2010 15:19

Nikolai
MacPhisto
TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

Well worth checking it and tracking down are the first Warfield, SF residencies. Bob preaches to the audience. When they start yelling at him to play some of his old songs, he tells them the Antichrist is in the house and they're all going to hell. Priceless.

I find the earlier 1980 shows to be better than the Candaian ones in April - they have a lot more energy.
Make sure you got Knoxville 1980, Nikolai. I put it on DIME a while ago, here:
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Recorded by the same person who gave us Charlotte 1978 and Columbia 1978
(I put up Columbia 1978 here: [www.dimeadozen.org] )

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 28, 2010 15:53

bolexman
bluesinc.
bolexman

Haha... Yep I know this one. I'm a huge fan of Rolling Thunder I and II.
There is something about the desperate rawness on the "Hard Rain" show that I love. It's real. I have a bootleg with awesome quality and it has grown on me over the years to be my favourite Dylan DVD... His version of "I Pity The Poor Immigrant" is so good! Great guitar sound too, plenty of reverb and twang.

I'm a fan of Hard Rain too. I even prefer it to Rolling Thunder I (as preserved on The Bootleg Series Vol. 5) because of the "desperate rawness" you pointed out.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: July 28, 2010 17:33

Thanks Erik Snow, Nikolai and Gazza for your recommendations! I'll make sure to try as many of them as I can find!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:12

Great news!

I need to say that my first thought was, as with TALE TALE SIGNS, that hmm... aren't there any other more interesting options... but I am quite sure that, as with the case of TTS, my first sentiments will be proven wrong. It is great to have those famous sessions in best possible quality, and like Gazza, I haven't listen them for years, so I'll be "fresh" to re-hear them. It will add an important chapter to ever-growing official Bob Dylan library.

- Doxa

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:16

it's not always the case that this series has produced "best quality," imo. i think the pre-existing boot (contemporary fix) of the manchester '66 show was superior, for instance. also, the halloween '64 show certainly wasn't an improvement, either....

Date: July 28, 2010 18:49

Erik_Snow
Nikolai
MacPhisto
TeaAtThree
MacPhisto

I find the earlier 1980 shows to be better than the Candaian ones in April - they have a lot more energy.
Make sure you got Knoxville 1980, Nikolai. I put it on DIME a while ago, here:
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Recorded by the same person who gave us Charlotte 1978 and Columbia 1978
(I put up Columbia 1978 here: [www.dimeadozen.org] )

Thank you very very much. Can't enough of that Dylan live era.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home