Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drums on Honky Tonk Woman - Charlie or Jimmy?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 29, 2010 07:04

tatters
I don't think Charlie CAN play it the way it was recorded. He has to play it the way Keith likes to play it. It's Keith who is just sluffing it off onstage. He's always the one who starts it off by just playing the opening notes, very slowly, over and over again. There's no way Charlie can stick to the recorded version when Keith is so far off from it. If Charlie started it off, and made Keith follow what HE was doing, it might sound a little more like the original, but that's not how the Stones operate.

Exactly! The Ya-Yas version is ok, but by '75 Keith started to drag out the intro interminably. Nice dramatic effect when you're there, but it got tiresome after a few years.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 29, 2010 07:20

Isn't it rather comical to be discussing a music group whose most significant output was forty years ago? Yet people are thrilled about seeing the Stones tour once again later next year? How do you top the football stadiums?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 07:20 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 29, 2010 11:46

There's much truth in tatters' comments.

The "push & pull" dynamic in the studio recording environment is always going to be different to that on a live stage.

I don't want to turn this into a wider discussion about the band's legendary and unique musical timing [which has been talked to death over many years] ...but the nature of the beast is that very little will be exactly the same twice.

Another factor with HTW [which I believe it shares with the studio cut of IORR] is that the beat appears to be accidently turned around in the intro.
Not something that's easy to replicate by design!

[It's also hard to replicate what may very possibly be the best drum sound ever put on record ;^) ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 14:56 by Spud.

Date: July 29, 2010 13:44

mitchflorida
If Jimmy Miller actually did the drumming, would they really want to publicize that? It would damage the credibility of Charlie Watts in the eyes of the public.

Dave Clark frequently had a session drummer do his work in the recording studio, but he certainly never publicized it or game him credit on the album notes.

Then why publicize that Jimmy played on YCAGWYW and Happy. + the ending on Tumblin´Dice?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 29, 2010 21:34

This discussion about Charlies drumming is quite ridiculous.

Has anybody here ever been in the studio seeing Charlie drumming - now or almost 50 years ago?

I guess not, so how on earth can we say that Charlie is lying when he says he played the drums on HTW? How on earth do we know what Charlie is capable to do? Why should Charlie say he played drums on HTW if it wasn't true? It is all guessing.

Off course every musician is inspired by others, learing or picking up technics from others - Mick in his singing, Keith on his guitar etc. - none of them has discovered how to sing or play guitar - neither Keith in his open tuning.

Jimmy Miller surely inspired Charlie in his drumming / thought him some technics, but that doesn't meen Charlie didn't play the drums.

Jimmy Miller officially plays drums on Shine a Light, plays drums together with CW on Tumbling Dice, helps Charlie on drums on You Can't Always Get What You Want, plays on Happy. So, there is no way of hiding things. Kenny Jones plays drums on IORR. etc.

The same with Bill, they have never hesitated crediting, Mick T, Ronnie, Bill Plummer, Keith etc. playing bass on occasional songs.
There has not been any problems excluding Keith from music credit on different songs.

Date: July 30, 2010 01:53

mtaylor

Has anybody here ever been in the studio seeing Charlie drumming - now or almost 50 years ago?

Yes, I have. Or at least I have seen him trying to do the drums on Sympathy for the Devil, with Mick berating Charlie repeatedly for not getting the beat right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 01:55 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 30, 2010 18:43

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: July 30, 2010 19:02

mitchflorida
mtaylor

Yes, I have. Or at least I have seen him trying to do the drums on Sympathy for the Devil, with Mick berating Charlie repeatedly for not getting the beat right.
mitch, you do realize that there's a difference between actually being in a studio as opposed to watching it on the tv in your living room, right?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 30, 2010 19:38

Bernard, let him be. He can't help himself. Just ignore him and move on. Drop a dime in his cup and keep walking like you don't see him.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 30, 2010 20:37

mitchflorida
Isn't it rather comical to be discussing a music group whose most significant output was forty years ago? Yet people are thrilled about seeing the Stones tour once again later next year? How do you top the football stadiums?

Edited 24 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 22:20 by mitchflorida.

Isn't it rather comical that you keep posting old articles about a music group that have been around for over forty years? People are thrilled about seeing the Stones tour again next year - some aren't. That's never changed. There is no topping football stadiums other than with a roof, of which some have.

And you wonder about Charlie's "credibility" of playing the drums when it's been clearly labeled who did what on the recordings. Of all people YOU say that.

THAT is funny.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:36

It's gotta be Charlie,as it is the BEST drum sound ever scratched into black vinyl.
the myth would be destroyed if it was not...hmmm I wonder.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:43

Oh, I get it. It's Charlie-bashing time...

This discussion is hysterical. Questioning Charlie's dumming. Pfhhhh!!!

Ok, he is NOT as good as he was. His playing is too stiff nowadays. But come on man, he doesn't need to prove anything. Way back delivered some fantastic drum-patterns on classic R'N'R songs.

Date: July 31, 2010 00:39

I am a Charlie Watts fan, he is a classy guy. But I get the impression from various interviews that he really doesn't enjoy the Stones music and doesn't particularly like drumming for them. It's a job for him . not a labor of love, which he gets from his jazz gigs. And you know what? I can't blame him.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 31, 2010 01:07

Yes, Mitch has finally cracked the code: Charlie, like Mick Taylor, hates the Stones!

Wow. Well I can sleep well at night now.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 31, 2010 09:24

mitchflorida
I am a Charlie Watts fan, he is a classy guy. But I get the impression from various interviews that he really doesn't enjoy the Stones music and doesn't particularly like drumming for them. It's a job for him . not a labor of love, which he gets from his jazz gigs. And you know what? I can't blame him.

I think that's just a role he is playing in the Stones (like everybody in that band is playing a role). He pretends to be this way. He's playing the jazz purist who hates playing rock and roll, hates being on tour, doesn't understand all the fuzz about the band, doesn't like to talk and all that crap. Yet he is playing rock and roll since 47 years and is touring on his own when he's not on the road with the Stones. Also he is very much involved in designing Stones merchandise and is doing alot of Stones business stuff with Mick. And why? Because he loves it. If he'd hate it that much playing and being in this band he'd have call it a day already many decades ago.

It's all bullshit and people believe it. Same with Keith who is doing the "drunken rock and roll pirate/gypsy" crap. It was cool in the 70s but he has reached a point where he appears like a (bad) joke. It's more than comical seeing this old man still pretending being that chain smoking, always a lil tipsy outlaw while he's not able to play his instrument in a proper way.

But back to topic now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 09:26 by Bimmelzerbott.

Date: July 31, 2010 14:22

"He's playing the jazz purist who hates playing rock and roll, hates being on tour"
Listen to an interview from 1993 part 2 (somewhere in the middle of the interview from 2:30 and further). He doesn't say he hates to be onstage / being on tour for the tour's sake, on the contrary he loves the stage. But, he hates to leave home for whatever - he said he hates to leave home f.x. just going to this interview he is on. By the way, listen to the whole interview - all 3 parts, interesting.

IN other interviews he himself has mentioned that he is the luckiest drummer, to be able to play for Stones and for the best frontman, MJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 15:58 by mtaylor.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 31, 2010 14:50

Maybe he loathes having to take his cue from a click track before each number played live. This I can understand...

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 31, 2010 18:55

This thread is approaching probably the longest Charlie thread ever.
I like that for Charlie but I bet he hates it ....lol

I guess this is the kind of stuff that comes up when the Stones don't
have a tour or a new album coming out.

I think we should now move on to what kind of sticks Charlie uses,
then we can discuss the heads Charlie uses.

Next we can discuss the pros and cons of Charlie releasing a coffee table
book of all his hotel room drawings ....

Charlie's good EVERY night !!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:00

skipstone
mitchflorida

Edited 24 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 22:20 by mitchflorida.

Isn't it rather comical that you keep posting old articles about a music group that have been around for over forty years? People are thrilled about seeing the Stones tour again next year - some aren't. That's never changed. There is no topping football stadiums other than with a roof, of which some have.

And you wonder about Charlie's "credibility" of playing the drums when it's been clearly labeled who did what on the recordings. Of all people YOU say that.

THAT is funny.

Am I reading this right???? A three sentence post by Mitch Florida was edited 24 times???

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 1, 2010 02:05

mitchflorida

He's no Bootlicker,or is he? eye rolling smiley

Date: August 1, 2010 06:35

Amsterdamned
mitchflorida

Me no understand. Habla Espanol?

Date: August 1, 2010 12:53

mitchflorida
Amsterdamned
mitchflorida

Me no understand. Habla Espanol?

Hi Mitch,Netherlands.But I like France.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-01 12:59 by Amsterdamned.

Date: August 2, 2010 01:45

I think this shows once and for all who played drums on Honky Tonk Women.

This photo was taken from the actual recording session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 01:46 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:12

no, here's the REAL drummer on honky tonk woman

Date: August 2, 2010 12:10

bernardanderson
no, here's the REAL drummer on honky tonk woman

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 2, 2010 20:14

No way !!
This the drummer for Honky Tonk!!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 2, 2010 20:26

The fist time I went to the UK was in July-August 1969. There was that stunning weekly " Top of the Pop" on TV. I was not used to that in my poor country. And that month HTW was # 1 and it lasted 5 weeks if I remember well. And I still can view precisely Charlie with that great drumming and cow bell. Of course, it was the first time I happened to watch and listen to Mick Taylorbjust after the trauma. So Charlie on drums whatever he got his inspiration from.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:12

marvpeck
This thread is approaching probably the longest Charlie thread ever.
I like that for Charlie but I bet he hates it ....lol

I guess this is the kind of stuff that comes up when the Stones don't
have a tour or a new album coming out.

I think we should now move on to what kind of sticks Charlie uses,
then we can discuss the heads Charlie uses.

Charlie's good EVERY night !!

I'd buy that book...he can daw stuff in a highly original way,,ordinary items done in a very spare linear style

Posted by: RiverStone ()
Date: August 2, 2010 23:32

the first recording of HAPPY, was with Keith, Bill and Jimmy on drums ¡¡

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home