Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Goats Head Soup - a very rewarding listening experience
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 12:33

Yo guys,

Sorry if this was asked before...

About GHS remastered Universal version..; the only that has been changed are the sound quality and the censorship on 'Star Star'...?

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: August 5, 2010 23:14

So much make-up... I blame Ziggy!

Truth is, I prefer GHS to Sticky Fingers. Would have been absolutely perfect if it wasn't for 'Angie'.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 5, 2010 23:35

Cool. Thank you! And Keith's hairdo - hilarous!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: August 6, 2010 00:00

The album is fantastic, great and masterpieces songs as Angie, Star star and Heartbreaker. The electric piano-organ or whatever is the MAIN CHARACTER in my opinion in this album,funky rhythm is new in a Stones´s album as well, Billy Preston, Ian Stewart and Nicky Hopkins bring us to new sounds with the coming albums Black and Blue, and It´s only...
I believe the album cover´s definitive, Jagger and Richards covered in cellophane, one cover is bright and the other one is dark, Richards. Jagger I think never was alone in a cover, he´ll be again in Tatoo again.
This outtake of that album deserves to be now out ¿verdad?
Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 6, 2010 09:03

No song-ranking confused smiley

1."Dancing with Mr. D." - 4:53 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
2."100 Years Ago" - 3:59 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
3."Coming Down Again" - 5:55 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
4."Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" - 3:27 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley thumbs up No 1
5."Angie" - 4:33 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
6."Silver Train" - 4:26 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
7."Hide Your Love" - 4:12 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
8."Winter" - 5:30 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
9."Can You Hear the Music" - 5:32 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley
10."Star Star" - 4:25 // smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley

smoking smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 6, 2010 09:32

Like Midnight rambler, Dancing with Mr D was rather weak as a studio recording but brilliant on stage. We are very lucky to have the soundboard recordings from London & Brussels. It's a shame that we do not have a soundboard recording of 100 years ago.

@#$%& is one of the few songs which they played better on stage with Ronnie. I always feel that it was too static in 1973 but came to life after 1975 when it was played rawer and faster.

Date: August 6, 2010 11:14

For me, Exile was dark, GHS hazy and muddy. Let It Loose was fabulous, Winter was good. Rocks Off was fantastic, Mr. D was ok - and the list could go on and on...

That's the main problem the Stones were facing at the time. Exile simply was a hard one to follow up.

IMO, there are lots of good things going on on this record. Yet the sound, the production and the songs sound lazy and dragging. The mix is overall the poorest on any post 60s Stones album (with IORR as the exception). Still, GHS is on my top 10 list of Stones albums.

People are saying that Keith is absent on GHS. Was he? I hear him clearly on Dancing With Mr. D, Coming Down Again, Angie, Silver Train, Can You Hear The Music and Star Star (+ bass on Heartbreaker?). That leaves us with 3 songs + one half baked piano/guitar jam (Hide Your Love), all done brilliantly by Taylor and Jagger anyway.

People are also talking about the wonderful, lyrical and dark feel of the album. To me, it sounds like the Jamaican ganja was taking over, and that one of the Stones' forces, the energy, faded. That does something with the quality.

My favourites:
Angie
Can You Hear The Music
Coming Down Again
Heartbreaker

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 6, 2010 14:57

The production could be better but I like the album and believe it to be underated.

As some folks have mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not an album full of killer "Keef riffs" but, if I'm in the right mood, I love it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 6, 2010 16:40

DandelionPowderman
For me, Exile was dark, GHS hazy and muddy. Let It Loose was fabulous, Winter was good. Rocks Off was fantastic, Mr. D was ok - and the list could go on and on...

That's the main problem the Stones were facing at the time. Exile simply was a hard one to follow up.

IMO, there are lots of good things going on on this record. Yet the sound, the production and the songs sound lazy and dragging. The mix is overall the poorest on any post 60s Stones album (with IORR as the exception). Still, GHS is on my top 10 list of Stones albums.

People are saying that Keith is absent on GHS. Was he? I hear him clearly on Dancing With Mr. D, Coming Down Again, Angie, Silver Train, Can You Hear The Music and Star Star (+ bass on Heartbreaker?). That leaves us with 3 songs + one half baked piano/guitar jam (Hide Your Love), all done brilliantly by Taylor and Jagger anyway.

People are also talking about the wonderful, lyrical and dark feel of the album. To me, it sounds like the Jamaican ganja was taking over, and that one of the Stones' forces, the energy, faded. That does something with the quality.

My favourites:
Angie
Can You Hear The Music
Coming Down Again
Heartbreaker

Nice review, DP, eventhough I don't agree with you on many points. But your remark concerning Keith is just imo. To me the absolute masterpieces of GHS are 100 Years Ago and Winter. As for your favourites, Coming Down and Heartbreaker are mine too.

Date: August 6, 2010 17:01

"Dancing with Mr. D"
I couldn't stand this song first. But I'm getting used to it. The song is a little bit too long. Could'v been shorter, IMO.

"100 Years Ago"
A mini-opera! LOL! Taylor plays very well here. His solo is dynamic!!

"Coming Down Again"
My favorite Richards-song! So vunerable and so pure. The whole band plays very well and in the right atmosphere.

"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"
Funk rock, dudes!! Love the clavinet and the wah wah's here and there.

"Angie"
A classic! This one made me play the guitar at a young age. I love the version on Brussels Affair.

"Silver Train"
Hate this song!

"Hide Your Love"
Useless song!

"Winter"
Beautiful nostalgic song. You can clearly hear the longings and the hunger for better times. Taylor and Jagger were a good team here.

"Can You Hear the Music"
Here you can clearly hear the influence of Jamaica. Not a good song, but I love the Leslie speaker/wah wah sound on the guitar. Don't know who plays it there, but I sur do love it.

"Star Star"
Simple, campy song. But a f***ing good chorus!! Love to song it!! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-06 17:02 by DiamondDog7.

Date: August 6, 2010 17:12

Keith plays the wah wah on Can You Hear The Music, as he does on Coming Down Again.

Date: August 6, 2010 17:24

DandelionPowderman
Keith plays the wah wah on Can You Hear The Music, as he does on Coming Down Again.

Thanks, DPman! ;-)

Date: August 6, 2010 17:33

kleermaker
Nice review, DP, even though I don't agree with you on many points. But your remark concerning Keith is just imo. To me the absolute masterpieces of GHS are 100 Years Ago and Winter. As for your favourites, Coming Down and Heartbreaker are mine too.

Why is that (concerning Keith)? You don't have to be a "Stones scientist" to hear that he plays on those songs smiling smiley

Posted by: homerus ()
Date: August 6, 2010 17:34

One of my top 3 fanourite Stones albums, but i dont think that it is in the top 3 of best stones albums. Perhaps not in the top-5.

But it attracts me. The cover, the music style of the album, the "doo doo doo doo" smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley, the "jamaicanism", i dont know.

"Something" has this album. I think that it is the most strange album in stones discography.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 6, 2010 20:30

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Nice review, DP, even though I don't agree with you on many points. But your remark concerning Keith is just imo. To me the absolute masterpieces of GHS are 100 Years Ago and Winter. As for your favourites, Coming Down and Heartbreaker are mine too.

Why is that (concerning Keith)? You don't have to be a "Stones scientist" to hear that he plays on those songs smiling smiley

I gave you a compliment for refuting the idea that, like you said "People are saying that Keith is absent on GHS. Was he? I hear him clearly on Dancing With Mr. D, Coming Down Again, Angie, Silver Train, Can You Hear The Music and Star Star (+ bass on Heartbreaker?)." Not because "you have to be a "Stones scientist" to hear that he plays on those songs" but because it was relevant to refute the myth.

Date: August 6, 2010 20:43

I get you now smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home