Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Goats Head Soup - a very rewarding listening experience
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 20, 2010 09:13

It belongs to the top 4 of my Stones albums. Star(@#$%&),winter,Coming down again.
Great Great.
jeroen

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 15:10

One i always keep going back to.

Liked it from day one and still do.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 20, 2010 16:17

The new remastered GHS album i think helps bring out how great the songs are....Mick Taylor really shines through
after you hear it again...I suggest you buy the new remaster of this album and i think you will hear how great it is..
I even love, Can you hear the music, which i never played before..

Date: July 20, 2010 20:27

crumbling_mice
GHS is undoubtedly an unusual album...some great songs but I always thought that the mix was poor, really flat and narrow...but without doubt better than IORR.[/quote

Oh, when IORR was released in Oct. '74 it was hailed as so much more superior to GHS! Truly! Y'all had to be there & I sometimes think most of you were nappies at the time.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: July 20, 2010 20:37

True...I was there and i LOVED Iorr....In fact i still love iorr, but i like it...In my top 5 Stones songs...

For me IORR was a little but more pop sounding and more for the younger fan...A little bit more rock and roll then Exile or GHS..
I like all 3 albums very much but EXILE & GHS seems to grow stronger and stronger over the years..Keep getting to know it at every listen.

IORR single had a great, cool and fun video while ghs video's were shocking, cool and a little dark..
GHS is like a good scotch while iorr is like a good cold beer.....both are great but different....ha.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2010 20:45

hot stuff
GHS is like a good scotch while iorr is like a good cold beer.....

ardbeg and leffe

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2010 00:54

It really is a love / hate affair with this album. I genuinely think it is their worst album, with only Winter being above average. But then again, when driving alone somewhere far away in the middle of a winter night and you pop in this album it suddenly is the most nostalgic and melancholy album they've made.

But still, it never really convinces. Richards is absent from most of the album, and then the album shows Taylor is too light-weight to carry an entire album. Charlie’s drums sound lackluster through-out, and only Jagger and Billy Preston sound they had fun making this album.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:05

Mathijs
It really is a love / hate affair with this album. I genuinely think it is their worst album, with only Winter being above average. But then again, when driving alone somewhere far away in the middle of a winter night and you pop in this album it suddenly is the most nostalgic and melancholy album they've made.

But still, it never really convinces. Richards is absent from most of the album, and then the album shows Taylor is too light-weight to carry an entire album. Charlie’s drums sound lackluster through-out, and only Jagger and Billy Preston sound they had fun making this album.

Mathijs

Hey, we agree, although I don't even like WINTER...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo is great though.

I just find this album dreary...if I want to listen to dreary, I'll just pop in my CD, (or vinyl) copy of Joy Division's 'CLOSER'.

Now that is music you can drain your arteries too.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:47

does anyone else get a good laugh at the nitpicking that goes on in these threads. I dont think the original songs and albums had as much thought put into them as they receive on these threads. I am especially amused at the "post EOMSers" who say everything afterwards sucks. geeeeezz..that is awfully harsh, esp when there is so much great post EOMS Stones music, I love it all .... except for the songs I dont ..... and I just leave them off of mixes and ignore them ..... but that leads to missing things, like "what does mean on Keiths guitar pick which I caught ..."open 24 hours a day" " .... it wasnt until I was cleaning the car one day, with the original cassette playing ALL of the songs, and that "one song" came on ... and it was enlightening ...I was like ...OOOOHHHHHHH!! that is where that came from. I still hae the pick, it is cool, just like all of the Stones music ever made is cool, except for the ssongs and stuff I dont care for, but you will NEVER know which they are, because why would I comment on something I dont like...why waste the time? hey look ,,its a bird,,,no that is a plane.. ..well let me get that plane off of that ..nah leave it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2010 02:17

The thing that I think is important about GHS is that I believe it marks the demarcation in songwriting quality from first-rate up through this album to often second-rate (and lower) on the ones that came after, charitably allowing that there was a bit of crossover going into IORR and Black & Blue (with IORR being about 50% top quality songs and B&B less), and yes, there was a resurgence on Some Girls, but basically this was a dividing line for me.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 21, 2010 05:44

71Tele
(with IORR being about 50% top quality songs)

that's charitable.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2010 05:53

cc
71Tele

that's charitable.

OK, title track, and in the "maybe" category: If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File, Time Waits For No One, Dance Little Sister. Outright Stinkers: Short & Curlies, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, so yeah 50% is being quite charitable.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 21, 2010 06:46

always liked GHS, but I also think Dancing with Mr D is probably the weakest opening track for a stones album. It just meanders on.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:13

71Tele
cc
71Tele

that's charitable.

OK, title track, and in the "maybe" category: If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File, Time Waits For No One, Dance Little Sister. Outright Stinkers: Short & Curlies, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, so yeah 50% is being quite charitable.

That's funny, because "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" is now one of my favorite tracks on that record...

But GHS? Please...

This type of thread keeps popping up again and again. Face it people: it's just not a great album. The classic Stones records that came out before and during the '68 - '72 Golden Era (yeah, I prefer that term rather than talk about a "Big Four" because when you use that term you exclude Ya-Ya's, and perhaps more importantly it places all the acclaim on the album format, which eliminates those 45 rpm studio classics Jumpin Jack Flash, which I call the greatest rock song/record of all time, and Honky Tonk Women, which easily belongs in the same neighborhood as JJF. OK? So let's nip this Big Four crap in the bud...) made you jump up and dance as soon as they started, and yet Dancing With Mr. D is the first Stones opener where you look for a chair. It's bor-ring!

There's a couple of good tracks, but the Stones are mostly off their game. "A very rewarding listening experience?" What is that, Alistair Cooke's review?

Don't let the self-hypnosis evolve into mass delusion.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:39

Richards is absent from most of the album, and then the album shows Taylor is too light-weight to carry an entire album.

- - I have to disagree there. Taylor's playing is great on this record, in fact in many spots it carries it. His bass playing on 'Coming Down Again' is fantastic.

That one song is worth the price of the record alone. It's perfect. In my opinion it's Keith's best vocal ever by a country mile. And that right there makes the album great. You can actually feel the pain.

GHS is a perfect timepiece; the Stones had hit the top, now they were 'coming down.' Somebody said it's a lousy follow up to Exile, but I disagree - it's the PERFECT follow up. It's the crash after the bash and the paradox to the previous 4 records.

This record should have been called Coming Down Again, because that reflects the mood and time, and also because Goat's Head Soup is a stupid title for anything.

The album reeks of sorrow and regret. There's real artistry here.

100 Years ago has stellar Mick Taylor wah-wah guitar throught and he carries it to the end, and I love Jagger's lyrics, plus it's a micrcosm of the entire record; at parts wistful and at others raucous.

Hide Your Love is s cool piano tune, and has more cool Taylor guitar throughout.

But it has songs I can't stand - Dancing With Mr D is an embarrassment that wouldn't scare a 2 year old, (although on Brussels it comes to life, and I do like it there) and Can You Hear The Music is just dumb. Silver Train is sort of a All Down The Line re-write but not near as good, but Keith's bass is great and so is Taylor's slide.

Winter is to me one of the Stones best songs, meloncholy as hell, has a a sparkling Tayolor solo and a great Jagger vocal, and a real Van Morrison's vibe, his stuff like Listen To The Lion.

Heartbreaker - is rather generic to me but Taylor's wah-wah riffs and short but effective solo make the song work, for me.

I love the guitar run through the Leslie effect which circulates throughout the record.

I don't like the track order and a couple of the songs absolutely suck, but hey, it's not Exile or Sticky Fingers, but who cares? It's not supposed to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 07:41 by stones77.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:58

71Tele
baxlap
the almost complete lack of riffs or melody, combined with songs based on keyboard intros, leads me to believe that Keef was barely participating in its making. It's the sound of a crippled band making limp music. 2/5.

After hearing the remasters last year, though, I'd have to say that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang are worse. The remasters only served to remind me that, overall, the post-Exile albums are lacking in quality and that the Stones have been living off the laurels of their first ten years for nearly 40.

You can add Dirty Work, IORR, Black & Blue and Undercover as being worse too. GHS with all its weaknesses is still miles better than any of those records. I guess if you think music is riffs, GHS isn't for you. GHS might have had songs without riffs, DW had riffs without songs.

Music isn't necessarily riffs, but Stones songs are based on riffs. I need the choppy! Stones songs without riffs are like a vegetarian spaghetti sauce: where's the beef?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 21, 2010 08:02

Regarding the muddy mix: THere's a few albums from that year (or that era) I've noticed that have that. GHS is one (although I love it; the first Stones album I ever bouught). George Harrison's Living In The Material World has a really muddy and punchless mix. McCartney's Red Rose Speedway is another. Even Quadrophenia has a somewhat muddy mix compared to Who's Next. A lot of the Top 40 singles had that tone, too. Maybe bands were trying to get away from a full-on stereo mix and going for a mono-ish mix (whicj the IORR album has, too).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 08:03 by tomk.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:49

Mathijs
Richards is absent from most of the album, and then the album shows Taylor is too light-weight to carry an entire album. Charlie’s drums sound lackluster through-out, and only Jagger and Billy Preston sound they had fun making this album.

Mathijs

As I wrote in a previous thread, I've always been amused by how swampy Charlie's drumming is on GHS, both the sound and his playing. Very different from the heavy thump on Exile (Loving Cup, Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice, etc.) and Let It Bleed. The way he comes in on 100 Years Ago ... that cymbal hit at 0:21 is one of the lumpiest he's ever recorded. Star Star starts off in similar fashion, and Dancing With Mr D has perhaps the coolest hihat hit ever done on a non-existant drum intro...

By the way, I can't believe you think it's their worst album, Mathijs. Which means that you think it's worse than anything they did after Tattoo You... interesting.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:54

tomk
Regarding the muddy mix: THere's a few albums from that year (or that era) I've noticed that have that. GHS is one (although I love it; the first Stones album I ever bouught). George Harrison's Living In The Material World has a really muddy and punchless mix. McCartney's Red Rose Speedway is another. Even Quadrophenia has a somewhat muddy mix compared to Who's Next. A lot of the Top 40 singles had that tone, too. Maybe bands were trying to get away from a full-on stereo mix and going for a mono-ish mix (whicj the IORR album has, too).

Yeah, there are a lot of muddy, nasal sounding records from the early to mid-70's. Part of it were trends -- I suppose people wanted their songs to sound tight and fat, and reverb was not very hip (compare with the 60s and 80s). Maybe they aimed for a "natural", "rootsy", less artificial sound, although in the end it seldom sounded any more natural than the stuff made 15 years previously.

That said, I love a lot of muddy sounding 70s records, GHS included.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 21, 2010 17:04

Star, Star certainly makes it worthwhile. 100 Years Ago is a real gem among gems. Those 2 songs alone make it one of my favorites.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 21, 2010 17:13

some little and big gems on this one. a handful of grand stuff. i didn't think of a comparative analysis w eoms and sf at the time; some of is was just super like silver train and diversely, a hundred years ago; i like perfect pop and was a total sucker for angie...nice changes and i like country and it kinda lopes along real sweet...a lot of good stuff here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 17:34 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 21, 2010 17:15

agree with alot of people's opinions here.

for me it's very dreary album with some hidden Stones gems.
it's definately an album you have to be in the mood to listen to.

think 100 Years Ago & Winter are the standouts. Star Star is good. Agree that DW Mr D is very poor opening track. Angie is best played live at Brussels '73...can't listen to the studio version anymore after hearing that incredible version.

it does seem the band is coming down from such a huge 3-4 years of being at the top.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 21, 2010 17:20

loog droog
Face it people: it's just not a great album. The classic Stones records that came out before and during the '68 - '72 Golden Era made you jump up and dance as soon as they started, and yet Dancing With Mr. D is the first Stones opener where you look for a chair.

And once again, because of The Big Four, ha ha, everything that followed is lame, boring, looking for a chair or whatever other put down this kind of Big Four snobbery goes on about.

You don't like the album you don't like the album. But to get nitpicky about the opening track making one look for a chair because, let's see, only Exile had a fast opening track of The Big Four, that's a bit posh.

GHS is a great album. It's not Exile, it's not Let It Bleed or the other two. It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. That doesn't mean it sucks. I like that it's different than Exile, different than Sticky, different than Bleed and different than Beggars. I love the album. Some people think it sucks. Too bad for them. They probably think Dirty Work is a great album. So the trade off is null and void ha ha.

Date: July 21, 2010 18:02

Well said... The fans must have liked ghs as it sold more records then Exile...But Like most Stones albums, exile included, it is different from their last album. And every album they make have many styles of music. Some you love at 1st listen and others you may need to play for a little while longer..
I also think some tracks may also be over the heads at the time we 1st play it...
I was only 15 when ghs was released and i loved Rock songs then...Not so much love songs, per say.ha.

And GHS is Not the same old rock and roll album. Some of the songs on ghs were just amazing when i first heard it...
As i said before i loved, silver train, d. with mr d., star star, h.b., 100 years ago and even Angie, the other tracks took me a little longer to really get into ...Some tracks i loved at first, like d with mr d, i soon got tired of...

But with this album you can really find new things after every listen...Hide your love and Can you hear the music are both tracks i never liked..But now i love...

Anyway what i dig about every Stones albums is it has hidden gems you discover years later that keeps us playing their music..
Their music never really fades away or become dated..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 21, 2010 18:08

tomk

i really don't understand all the hyperbolic reaction to album mixes. good songs and good albums are not dependent on good mixes. most of what i listen to is 50 years old or more...i listen for the songs, not the mixes. i guess i could argue that duke's piano is buried in the mix on warm valley or cootie williams' horn is too muted on concerto for cootie, but not sure that affects my love and appreciation for the music. same applies for ghs...

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 21, 2010 21:03

Many thanks for bringing this excellent album to IORRians' attention, Mr Twining.
Winter is one of their greatest ever achievements. I might have said this before but - so what? I'll say it again -it's the musical equivalent of an impressionist painting.
Not that this is the only great track. The only two I have anything negative to say about are Dancing With Mr D and Hide Your Love, the former because it's somewhat wimpish compared with Sympathy for the Devil but my guess is that it's tongue-in-cheek, the Rolling Stones' ghost train: it's not truly threatening but it still has the power to make you sit up and take notice.
As for Hide Your Love, I don't think many people would say that it's particularly memorable. On the other hand it's far from lousy! Perhaps Through The Lonely Nights should have replaced it.
Goats Head Soup is of such quality that we should be talking about the Big FIVE!

Date: July 21, 2010 21:15

It is interesting that "fans" would use electron microscopes to
to discuss a simple rock and roll album. I wonder if Kieth and the
boys ever thought people would look so closely and judge so nitpickingly?

The fact that so many have put so much thought and so many words have been
posted about a 30 year old album says more than any of the words actually posted.

Now I wonder .....hmmm? ...
what the nitpickers did before CDs and programable music?
I wonder .... did they move the needle all around the LP and flip it over and
over and over to avoid the songs they cant stand .... the early "at home DJs" ..... glad I missed that.

This is a petty funny discussion... I am still lmao ....thanks for the smiles.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: July 21, 2010 21:23

If you catch it in the right mood it is their best album imho - fantastic vibe

Date: July 21, 2010 21:30

nanker phelge
If you catch it in the right mood it is their best album imho - fantastic vibe
truest words on the whole thread...imuho

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 21, 2010 21:30

GOATS HEAD SOAP is a wonderful album and one of my very favourite Stones albums because of its deep, reflective, even melancholic mood. This is its unique character compared to any other Stones album. Yeah, its mix is a bit muddy but I still remember the times of listening it from my headphones and discovering agan and again new interesting things from its sonic, moody atmosphere. The ballad section is simply outstanding: "100 Years Ago", "Coming Down Again", "Angie", "Winter", but the melancholic feeling is extended somehow to the rockers section as well - "Doo Doo Doo", "Star Star", "Silver Train" - not to forget the ghosty atmosphere in teh jam of "Hide Your Love"... I can relate to the observations and sentiments of Edward Twining (of the original post) in this respect.

But then comes "but"... why the album is not as classical and should not be considered such a masterpiece as the Big Four?

I would claim it is the opening track. We should not underestimate the importance of the opening track - it is the cut that sets the mood to the whole album. And first time since "Sing This All Together", it is clear that the band is not hitting where they traying to target, if they actually had a clear direction in their mind. "Dancing With Mr. D" is really disapointment track compared to the killer songs they started their previous four albums. "Mr D" has written all over it: now we make a hit song from safe, sure and tested materials. It is Keith trying to find a riff like good ole days of "Satisfaction", but sounds thin, dull and non-catchy; the groove tries to attract the dance floors but no one is dancing, the "playing darely with the devil" lyrics sound cartoonish, childish, and stupid. Most of all: it does not like convincing. I think for this particular reason GOATS HEAD SOAP is fated to not be a coherent masterpiece as the big four. They had a false start and couldn't catch up the quality of the others. No matter into what heights they would later get.

I think the idea of choosing "Mr. D" as the opener is an indication that everything was not any longer in order in the control room. They were about as creative as earlier, still looking for new ways of self-reflection and all, but somehow the whole package was not anymore so clearly in their hands. They had all the needed material - awesome material, some of their very best ever, in fact - there for yet another masterpiece but they somehow couldn't quite hit it home. GOATS HEAD SOAP is one of those albums, which with a little bit better production and sense of self-secure and direction could have been a masterpiece to be remembered, and we would talk about Big Five here.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 21:33 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home