Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Goats Head Soup - a very rewarding listening experience
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:10

I never tire of listening to Goats Head Soup and despite its lack of critical acclaim i believe it to be one of the very best albums of the Stones career. Maybe the songs aren't quite so tightly focused as on the big four, but there is a great deal of beauty to be found within those tracks - perhaps it is the album's mellow mood that i find so enjoyable. My head tells me the album isn't perhaps one of the Stones greatest efforts certainly in terms of containing consistently memorable songs, yet it's Goats Head Soup more than any other that i love to hear again and again. Perhaps for me it was the last time the Stones released an album i felt completely connected to, although there have been some good efforts in the years that followed. I believe the album has a certain vibe which isn't shared by any of the Stones other albums.

Re: Goats Head Soup - a very rewarding listening experience
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:12

certainly understand your points, ET...i know some folks who would echo them....an album, that if it hadn't had the misfortune of following on the heels of exile, might have better overall appreciation...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:15

The Goats Head LP is always on my top 10 Stones lists, many great songs.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:20

For me i think it has some of the very best tracks the Stones ever recorded...Heartbreaker, Angie, Star Star and 100 Years ago.
And some great tracks, like Coming down again and Winter...
Its a album that is kind of deep and a little dark...Its not just the same old rock and roll album....It has everything...

Date: July 19, 2010 20:22

Funny i liked it better then Exile when it was 1st released...Loved the video of Silver train and D with Mr.D. when it was 1st shown
on tv.....

Date: July 19, 2010 20:24

hot stuff
For me i think it has some of the very best tracks the Stones ever recorded...Heartbreaker, Angie, Star Star and 100 Years ago.
And some great tracks, like Coming down again and Winter...
Its a album that is kind of deep and a little dark...Its not just the same old rock and roll album....It has everything...
you can say that again ..... perfectly stated ..... PERFECTO

.....and I did not know her name.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-19 20:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:33

...clip from Don Kirshner's Rock Concert...radical in it's day...they looked like freaks to the masses..esp Mick w/ the blue eye shadow that women wore back in the day..

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:33

Agreed... it stands the test of time for me. Been listening to it off and on since it was released.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 19, 2010 20:37

Max'sKansasCity
The Goats Head LP is always on my top 10 Stones lists, many great songs.

Max, it seems we don't only have the same taste as for football. Soup is my number 1 Stones official album.

Date: July 19, 2010 20:39

Max'sKansuscity.....Wow Thank you for the video...I remember rushing home with my best friend to watch the premier of it on tv..I think they played it on a show after the news, 11.30pm...
It blew us away....At first i didn't like jagger's eye make up and jump suit but after the video i loved it...Look at Mick T..NEVER SEEN HIM move so much and Charlie Watts having a fast smile for Jagger.....Anyway its a GREAT VIDEO....The song really rocks when you watch it...
I haven't seen it in years...Thank you.

Date: July 19, 2010 20:46

hot stuff
Max'sKansuscity.....Wow Thank you for the video...I remember rushing home with my best friend to watch the premier of it on tv..I think they played it on a show after the news, 11.30pm...
It blew us away....At first i didn't like jagger's eye make up and jump suit but after the video i loved it...Look at Mick T..NEVER SEEN HIM move so much and Charlie Watts having a fast smile for Jagger.....Anyway its a GREAT VIDEO....The song really rocks when you watch it...
I haven't seen it in years...Thank you.

My pleasure..... I was right there with you watching it...
I always thought it was funny how Charlie was kind of smirking at Mick
maybe thinking the same as you about his make up and jump suit....gotta love it.

...and Kleer..... but of course my friend smiling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 19, 2010 21:15

Goats is a very "Winter" album, dark and mysterious...It comes after the band masterpieces with some very amazing song:silver train, @#$%&, winter, hide your love and coming down again.I prefer it to Iorr...

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 19, 2010 21:19

Edward Twining
I never tire of listening to Goats Head Soup and despite its lack of critical acclaim i believe it to be one of the very best albums of the Stones career. Maybe the songs aren't quite so tightly focused as on the big four, but there is a great deal of beauty to be found within those tracks - perhaps it is the album's mellow mood that i find so enjoyable. My head tells me the album isn't perhaps one of the Stones greatest efforts certainly in terms of containing consistently memorable songs, yet it's Goats Head Soup more than any other that i love to hear again and again. Perhaps for me it was the last time the Stones released an album i felt completely connected to, although there have been some good efforts in the years that followed. I believe the album has a certain vibe which isn't shared by any of the Stones other albums.

I agree whole heartedly with you on this About GHS. My fav. stones lp ever.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 19, 2010 21:27

GHS is undoubtedly an unusual album...some great songs but I always thought that the mix was poor, really flat and narrow...but without doubt better than IORR.

Date: July 19, 2010 22:15

I absolutely love GHS. To my ears, it feels like the end of a long party (Coming Down Again). Sitting by yourself in a living room or basement. Empty bottles, full ashtray's with nothing but a head full of snow and a heart full of sorrow.

My only complaint is the aforementioned mix/production. Dull, flat and lacking in dynamics. I would have also liked to see Star %$&#@$ lead off side one and Winter end side two.

GHS is easily in my top 5 Stones records and IMHO it blows IORR out of the water.

Date: July 19, 2010 23:04

dull flat mix?
I always thought that was just my 30 year old Maxell cassette tape wearing out.

Based on the way it feels today they could have started side one with LONG HOT SUMMER and ended side two with long cold winter. ManO'Man is if freekin hot today.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:59

It's one of their albums that somehow stick with you!

I like it a lot and it made the test of time!

One more real good song (rocker) and it could have been one of their best!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:05

Dark, brilliant album filled with melancholy and longing. Oddly the rockers are so-so, but those ballads!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:51

great album but has a very muddy mix

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 20, 2010 00:56

Love the album with its dark feel and moody tone, i like to put it on and relax with a couple of cold ones , its a crime how underrated it is

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:55

Goat's Head Soup was and IS great.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:13

it's a great record, albiet with a couple throwaways admittedly.. 9Can You Hear The Music for one)

proof that even Stones records that some people criticize are still alot better than some bands BEST albums

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:12

I liked GHS alot but really hate Dancing with Mr. D.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:58

I love, love, LOVE GHS. Such a gentle, wistful, sad, beautiful record, and so unfairly maligned. The ballads on this album are probably the most poetic and graceful songs that the Stones have ever recorded. And GHS is so trippy at the same time ... it's like entering another world. GHS has been there for me at my darkest moments and has always gently lifted me up.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 04:26 by drewmaster.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:05

OK, I'll troll this...I rarely choose to reward myself of this pleasure.

Some good tunes, but as an album, it is uninteresting to me.

DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO is the best song on it, and I like it. ANGIE was good, a little overplayed. The rest is just a little dreary. Starf*cker is just retread Chuck with some naughty lyrics.

It's just not an interesting album.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:24

Great album. I've always loved it. With exception to Angie, which I just can't stand anymore, it's fantastic. Love the whole album.

Date: July 20, 2010 05:38

treaclefingers
OK, I'll troll this...I rarely choose to reward myself of this pleasure.

Some good tunes, but as an album, it is uninteresting to me.

DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO is the best song on it, and I like it. ANGIE was good, a little overplayed. The rest is just a little dreary. Starf*cker is just retread Chuck with some naughty lyrics.

It's just not an interesting album.

100 Years Ago, Winter, and Coming Down Again "not interesting"? OK.

Date: July 20, 2010 05:41

Indeed, this & December's Children are my fave Stones albums.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:06

Yeah, rewarding, but only for those who count the sales receipts.

I used to be firmly convinced that GHS is the worst studio album that the Stones ever made (hell, half of Dirty Work ain't all that bad). It's an unworthy followup to Exile. The overall haziness of the sound and the almost complete lack of riffs or melody, combined with songs based on keyboard intros, leads me to believe that Keef was barely participating in its making. It's the sound of a crippled band making limp music. 2/5.

After hearing the remasters last year, though, I'd have to say that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang are worse. The remasters only served to remind me that, overall, the post-Exile albums are lacking in quality and that the Stones have been living off the laurels of their first ten years for nearly 40.

Date: July 20, 2010 09:10

baxlap
the almost complete lack of riffs or melody, combined with songs based on keyboard intros, leads me to believe that Keef was barely participating in its making. It's the sound of a crippled band making limp music. 2/5.

After hearing the remasters last year, though, I'd have to say that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang are worse. The remasters only served to remind me that, overall, the post-Exile albums are lacking in quality and that the Stones have been living off the laurels of their first ten years for nearly 40.

You can add Dirty Work, IORR, Black & Blue and Undercover as being worse too. GHS with all its weaknesses is still miles better than any of those records. I guess if you think music is riffs, GHS isn't for you. GHS might have had songs without riffs, DW had riffs without songs.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home