Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Describe Your Reaction to Seeing the Stones for the Very First Time
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:19

I just turned 17, December 1989, Skydome, Toronto.
I'd never seen a concert with a group of that calibre before - not even close! And they had become my favourite band that summer (still are), breaking me of my Beatles obsession.

I was blown away by the experience! I wasn't sure what kind of show I'd be seeing, I wasn't aware of the whole Vegas thing yet, thought it was a late-80;s phase (music in general was REALLY BAD then). It didn't bother me though. Just hearing those songs live, seeing Keith TEAR IT UP and Mick OWNING the stage... and the rhythm section of Charlie and Bill! Ronnie kind of got a bit lost in the shuffle, the horns, keys and singers were a bit much for me even then (as well as the sampled drums for sympathy) - but I didn't CARE!

I do remember getting QUITE stoned off of the air inside (smoking cigarettes was still allowed in concerts, so hiding joint-smoking was WAY easier). It was a night I'll never forget!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2010 15:11

from that very second I started to hate arena-rock-concerts...I have seen Stones a couple of times in smaller places thanks God...

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: July 20, 2010 16:52

In the fall of 1989, a friend and I drove to Birmingham Alabama from Atlanta to see the Stones (a 2-3 hour drive, if I remember correctly).They weren't coming to Atlanta for another month or two. We didn't even have tickets for the Birmingham show, but we got lucky and scored some when we got there.

The Stones have always been my favorite band, but they were much further down the list for my friend. After the show though, I remember him saying 'They really ARE the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-20 16:55 by Keefan.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 20, 2010 18:40

1976,the hague,netherlands. 2 shows, with my brother.
forgot most about it, only the hells angels and my brother wrechking my parents car. hahahaha
saw them again in 1982,1990,1995,1997,1999,2003,2005,2007.
26 times altogether.
last time at th O2 in london in 2007.
Hope to see them again.
jeroen

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: July 20, 2010 20:44

"Shit!! They are for real!" *adrenalin pumping the shit out of me

Date: July 20, 2010 21:11

Madrid. Steel Wheels Tour.

"It is not possible. It is not possible. It is not possible. They are. They are. They are. They are. It is not possible. It is not possible. They are. They are. They are.It is true.It is true.It is true.It is true.It is true.These men are...
These men are...These men are...These men are...THE ROLLING STONES. Watch,Watch,Watch,Watch,Watch...feel, feel, feel, hear, hear hear....belive it, believe it, believe it, believe it, it is true, it is true, it is true, it is true.
They are. They are there.They are there. They are there. They are thereThey are there.." and so on, and so forth...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:13

Pelle
"Shit!! They are for real!" *adrenalin pumping the shit out of me

You didn't believe they really existed before and finally got proof they indeed did exist by seeing them in the flesh?

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:15

1972 RFK in Washington D.C There have been many stories about that show. Most of them true. I wish I could tell you how good it was but I have to admit I was pretty hot, Tired and loaded by the time they came on. You had to get here very early because it was festival seating which was kind of new back then . There was no way I was going onto the field with those maniacs. So while I remember some the show it wasn't the greatest one . I did go see them in Philly later in the tour and that was a great show. Shit I guess the D.C show might have been good but after so many years and to many bong hits that day I couldn't tell you if they played well or not. Id anyone has a good recording of it I would like to hear it someday .

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:24

My reaction of my first stones-concert???
Glad still alive!!
was in berlin 1965.
never, never I want to see the sTones again, thats what i said back in 1965.
the stones were awesome, but the crowd just crazy!

by the way--my last Stones concert was Hannover (germany) july 2006

so far.......

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:26

For me, my first Stones experience was June 1976 Paris Les Abbatoirs. None of my friends would go so I bought the ticket by post from Yorkshire UK and caught the coach and ferry to Paris - I was 15 and although it was my first trip oversees on my own I just had to see them. I didnt realise that the actual venue wasn't in the centre of paris so once I'd got off the coach I had to hitchhike to the venue. Fortunatley there was a lot of people going that way and I had a lift in no time. Les Abbatoir was a miserable place for a show - it literally was an abbatoir, or had been - just a big shed ! The show blew my mind and althought he sound boomed around a bit I was close enough to the stage to see everything. It was pure theatre, Jagger and Billy Preston almost shagging each other at one point! After the show, I only had £5 English pounds and my coach didnt leave paris until the next morning, so I had to hitch hike (well I asked people actually) back to the centre of paris and then walked the streets of paris all night until the first coach back...hadnt eaten anything since the previous afternoon and so once on the ferry got bacon and eggs! Eventually got back to Northern England and was so elated that I'd done it on my own and seen a classic show. I saw them every tour since - sometimes 3 or 4 times and even managed to catch the New Barbarians at Knebworth in 1979.

Les Abbatoirs was a show that still stands out to this day and I can remember it in great detail and the impact it had on me. I left England a boy and returned a man - a stones man

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 21:46

11/8/69, 2nd, not the most exciting show, almost low key, but a very sexy show, musically and otherwise. A carefully selected setlist made the statement that the band is the worthy inheritor of American RnR and Blues. Keith was wonderful. You get a glimpse of his sexy rhythm playing in that audience video of the partial performance of LQ from that show. I left the show impressed with the band's restraint and feeling delightfully teased. I correctly felt that I had witnessed something historic.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 20, 2010 22:28

july 11th 1982. torino.
very different audience from now. the train to torino was full of heroin , young guys fainted in the aisles..... at the end of the concert there was a girl next to me, she was crying. she was saying it was the last time she could watch them live because they sure were going to stop because of their their age..
and mick who said " so che vincerete questa sera, italia 3- germania 1" (I KNOW YOU ARE GONNA WIN TONIGHT, ITALY 3-GERMANY 1)..
what a day..

Date: July 20, 2010 23:06

NICOS
1973............first time for me so I din't know what to expect, as tatters mentioned "They looked like they were about three inches tall", it was great........... but for me.............. live concerts ...............I can't remember them well.

Which show(s) in '73?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: July 20, 2010 23:10

mickschix
It was July 1972, the old Boston Garden...it was a surreal dream, one that I didn't wake from for weeks....awake or asleep, I was still at that show for a very long time after the show was over. I can still go back there, and I often do, to tap into that feeling....beyond description.

Debra, I was thinking of what you told me your boyfriend told you about Mick bumping into the drum platform & I told you that Mick knew what he was doing. Are you still in P!ssfield? You had you some major hail & t'understorms a few nights ago!

Smoochies, air kisses, bazabee,
Jonathan

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: July 21, 2010 00:23

I was 15 and it was a hot summer night at Chicago Stadium in 1975.

After the show my best friend and I were so mesmerized I told him I was naming my first son after Keith Richards.

Almost to the day, thirty-five years later...

Posted by: Lurker Nancy ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:12

Washington DC, 1972

It was so thrilling to finally see them perform live. I haven't missed a tour since and hope to see them next year if all the rumors turn out to be true.

Lurker Nancy

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:40

I was 16 and couldn't believe I was seeing and hearing them with my own eyes and ears. It was magical, mesmerizing. I absorbed everything they said, did, sang, their every move. It was over all too quickly.

That was in July, 1966 at The Hollywood Bowl. They were dressed in the clothes they are wearing on the cover of Got Live if You Want it.

Posted by: Yannis16 ()
Date: July 22, 2010 00:37

Paris '82, I was 22. I had tears im eyes during the first song.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 22, 2010 00:51

My darling Jonathan, why YES I am still in PISSFIELD! Were you in town? We did have a very nasty storm! The thunder was so loud, I tumbled off the couch!! My cats did too! Sounded like our house was hit!
You have a great memory! My boyfriend at the time ended up being my first and only hubby...I'm divorced now but he's still a pal! He was expecting PERFETION, yes, and when Mick bumped into Charlie's riser, he thought it odd and commented on why Mick didn't know it was there! I said GET A GRIP! Why does that matter!?? Do you recall the complete story about how the guy sitrting next to us was drinking Jack Daniels all through Stevie Wonder's set and by the time the Stones came on, he was passed out cold!! We used his binoculars and could see every fleck of glitter on Mick's chest, every drop of sweat....and we were close anyway! Anyway, where are you now, my dear?

Posted by: TOOTSIE ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:38

Hearing the Stones
No TV In 1964 in New Zealand in my house.
Song came on the radio, Not Fade Away,.......................
Didnt catch the name of band waited 3 days till i heard it again announced as the Rolling Stones, been there since then

1964-----2010

Posted by: TOOTSIE ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:45

1965 Auckland New Zealand the Big Beat Tour had Ray Columbus and the Invaders + the Easy Beats and Roy Orbison I was 15

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:58

December 5th 1965. L.A. Sports Arena. They were introduced by some of the Boss Jocks and they (The Stones) tore it down. Great show, the stage was littered with bras and panties afterwards. They lived up to my expectations and then some.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:07

Sept. 29, 1989, Foxboro, MA.

I was 17 and had an isle seat about 1/3 of the way back, center of the floor. I'd been obsessed with them since '81 and had seen Keith the year before in '88. "Batdance" by Prince was playing over the PA when all of a sudden the lights and sound cut and the "Continental Drift" intro began. Everyone stood on their seats... it built... it built... and then BOOM! Wall of fire! Keith cranks the riff to "Start Me Up", Mick comes running out, and then all of a sudden, things slow down and I say to myself "Holy shit - that's Charlie Watts" and the next thing I know, I'm bouncing off the tarp on the floor. I fainted. Though I was back up on my seat before Mick sang the first lyric. And spent the next 2.5 hours going absolutely insane.

I seriously think I would have had a seizure had I not seen Keith the year before to buffer the shock.

17 shows later, I still lose my sh*t whenever they come on stage. Though I haven't lost consciousness since!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home