Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best Mick Taylor Era Stones Song
Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 12, 2010 18:36

Stop Breaking Down. A cover, but a great one nonetheless.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:53

Hide Youe Love!!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 12, 2010 20:06

Brown Sugar

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2010 20:14

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:04

All Down the Line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 22:05 by billwebster.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:14

all kinds of great ones; sway, moonlight mile, winter, time waits for no one, his bass on fingerprint file, everything he plays on exile etc etc etc

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:14

Winter

Date: July 12, 2010 22:20

Amsterdamned
Countless.smiling smiley

Haven´t heard that one. Which album? winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:27

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
Countless.smiling smiley

Haven´t heard that one. Which album? winking smiley

A bootleg,never released...cool smiley

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 23:59

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE

period! cool smiley

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: July 13, 2010 02:39

all of them!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2010 15:05

DandelionPowderman
bolexman
So hard to choose... Loving Cup, Moonlight Mile, or CYHMK.

Is Taylor on Loving Cup at all? I don´t think so.

Nope, he's not on LC.

Mathijs

Date: July 13, 2010 15:06

straycatblues73
All down the line , all stones present , great keith intro . drums coming in, great slide sound , slide and vocal together and fantastic b/u vocals ,its a classic!!

Wyman doesn't play on it though...

Mathijs

Date: July 13, 2010 15:07

texas fan
I don't know -- Gimme Shelter is a Taylor-era song, isn't it? I'd say my favorite Mick Taylor era songs are Honky Tonk Women,Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar and Rocks Off -- none of these particularly feature Taylor, as it turns out.

Rocks Off a Taylor song? Taylor can be heard for about 5 seconds in the fade out....

Mathijs

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 13, 2010 15:12

DandelionPowderman
bolexman
So hard to choose... Loving Cup, Moonlight Mile, or CYHMK.

Is Taylor on Loving Cup at all? I don´t think so.

True, maybe he isn't! I can't remember the sleeve credits on that number... for what the sleeve credits back in those days were worth, anyway winking smiley But Loving Cup is probably my fav song from the "Taylor era". And yes, before people start typing up a storm, I realise the Stones started working on this song before he joined... As for his playing, on official releases, I think I like his FAT chords on "Little Queenie" Get Yer Ya-Yas... or whatever the hell he is playing on that song, whenever I play it the stereo speakers nearly can't handle the vamping that occurs during the verses... Yes I'll take that particular guitar playing any day over his CYHMK jam (as beautiful as that jam is)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 15:51 by bolexman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 13, 2010 17:24

Mathijs
texas fan
I don't know -- Gimme Shelter is a Taylor-era song, isn't it? I'd say my favorite Mick Taylor era songs are Honky Tonk Women,Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar and Rocks Off -- none of these particularly feature Taylor, as it turns out.

Rocks Off a Taylor song? Taylor can be heard for about 5 seconds in the fade out....

Mathijs

Isn't that Taylor on the 2nd guitar playing all along the song (the one that comes in after the intro riff)?

C

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 13, 2010 19:44

liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

Isn't that Taylor on the 2nd guitar playing all along the song (the one that comes in after the intro riff)?

C

That's a rhetorical question, liddas. Right 'ear' if listening with earphones.

Date: July 13, 2010 20:06

kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

C

Loud and clear.Makes it bit more tasty. To much open G guitarwork make the Stones monotone. Taylor creates the perfect balance .

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:14

Street Fighting Man on Ya Ya's

Date: July 14, 2010 00:18

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

C

Loud and clear.Makes it bit more tasty. To much open G guitarwork make the Stones monotone. Taylor creates the perfect balance .

Stirring up again? winking smiley No open G at all on Rocks Off, as you know very well smoking smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 14, 2010 01:15

With I'm Not Signifying out officially now we get to listen to Taylor's excellent slide playing. I love his phrasing and his touch, how he sneaks things into the song without overdoing it. Not really soloing, just playing. There's got to be a bunch of songs - an album's worth - where he's doing that.

THAT would make a great comp. I'm gonna work on it.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 14, 2010 03:50

I Don't Know Why... brilliant slide playing...

Date: July 17, 2010 13:28

Amsterdamned
kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

C

First, there is no open G guitar on Rocks Off. Aside from the fact that the intro does not use a slackened A string, the intro is played with the same guitar and setup as the remaining guitar on the left channel, and this channel all is Keith on an Ampeg Dan Armstrong or Telecaster (although there are no pics available of a Tele being present at the sessions set-up in standard tuning) through a Fender amp, as is the right channel guitar. So it is:

Intro riff in the left channel: Keith, standard tuning, Armstrong/Tele through Fender amp.
At 0:04 a second guitar enters at the right channel: Keith, standard tuning, Armstrong/Tele through Fender amp.
At: 0:06 a third guitar with out pf phase sound and with reverb enters in the background in the middle of the stereo spectrum. This is Taylor playing a counter melody to the opening riff. This guitar disappears at around 0:16.

Until the middle 8 break there’s only two guitars and a (fantastic!) piano, guitars all Keith, standard tuning. The middle break is again two guitars, all Keith, left channel with added tremolo and right channel with added phase effect.

The two Keith guitars finish the song until a third guitar enters at minus 0:30 playing a counter melody with chords in the same out of phase tone as the third guitar in the intro but without reverb, then at 0:15 this guitar develops in a short lead burst. This guitar is Taylor, and the out of phase tone suggest him playing the Gibson ES-355 with the Varitone set at the third or fourth position.

Mathijs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 17, 2010 15:25

Hard to pick one as there are so many

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 17, 2010 16:09

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

C

First, there is no open G guitar on Rocks Off. Aside from the fact that the intro does not use a slackened A string, the intro is played with the same guitar and setup as the remaining guitar on the left channel, and this channel all is Keith on an Ampeg Dan Armstrong or Telecaster (although there are no pics available of a Tele being present at the sessions set-up in standard tuning) through a Fender amp, as is the right channel guitar. So it is:

Intro riff in the left channel: Keith, standard tuning, Armstrong/Tele through Fender amp.
At 0:04 a second guitar enters at the right channel: Keith, standard tuning, Armstrong/Tele through Fender amp.
At: 0:06 a third guitar with out pf phase sound and with reverb enters in the background in the middle of the stereo spectrum. This is Taylor playing a counter melody to the opening riff. This guitar disappears at around 0:16.

Until the middle 8 break there’s only two guitars and a (fantastic!) piano, guitars all Keith, standard tuning. The middle break is again two guitars, all Keith, left channel with added tremolo and right channel with added phase effect.

The two Keith guitars finish the song until a third guitar enters at minus 0:30 playing a counter melody with chords in the same out of phase tone as the third guitar in the intro but without reverb, then at 0:15 this guitar develops in a short lead burst. This guitar is Taylor, and the out of phase tone suggest him playing the Gibson ES-355 with the Varitone set at the third or fourth position.

Mathijs

wow you're amazing man. i listen pretty closely but never have had the natural talent to hear what you hear with such definition and then tech analysis as to equipment and how many layers who played what exact part on what exact instrument...from what exact year and manufacturer...and where the friggin' tree grew before they chopped it down and carved a guitar out of it....

....and where in the pan/mix etc any of these little flourishes or parts are....
.....just brilliant. always love it. one of the things i learn from it is how meticulous their editing and over-dubbing prowess is; they get to the 'point' ...know what is is, instrumentally,musically speaking, in any given section of a song, and just hone it down or build it up to emphasize articulate punctuate...whatever...i'm sure they wouldn't use those words but that's how i feel what i imagine to be their process...and then hone it down editing for whatever thrust lifts the section etc...
i'm guessin' ur probably blessed/cursed with perfect pitch too.
thnx cool post.

impressive here is all the great great songs and great great playing being displayed. just overwhelmingly great classic wonderful eternal performances never to grow old or do ANYTHING other than to really communicate such amazing energy and richness of sound. wow. the rolling stones of the taylor era just beyond comprehending; from bleed to iorr of official releases? never ever gonna be topped ever. can't see it anybody topping that. just can't. and the good news is that it is so vibrant and it's here...it's never lost it's power of persuasion or ferocious sense of engagement. it's sweeping.

i'm stickin' to dance little sister tho. for me, as much as i'm stunned by countless taylor performances on transcendental leads, this double rhythm attack is SO majorly in the depths of the eternal groove that it's miraculous piece of seeming fluff. this grinds so bad. i mean it's super. AND it shows, as do COUNTLESS huge amounts of their hits and other tracks, that taylor understands intuitively how to play WITH another guitarist; at least captain keith...in a RHYTHM context; as well as the obvious angelic grace notes and world war three walls of power...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-17 16:16 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 17, 2010 16:31

Mathijs

Mathijs

That seems a good analysis to me, Mathijs. But how are you so sure it's Keith on the right channel all the way from 0:03 on? The repetitiveness and 'pattern' of this guitar reminds me of Taylor on Bitch. So to me it also could be Taylor. The third guitar during the last 30 sec. is undoubtedly Taylor. Very recognizable.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 17, 2010 19:29

I like all of the the Mick Taylor songs starting with Honky Tonk Women and ending with Waiting on a Friend.

Date: July 17, 2010 20:15

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

C

Stirring up again? winking smiley No open G at all on Rocks Off, as you know very well smoking smiley

Did I say that? When I think about the RS I connect it to open G. That must be the error. I didn't even check it.

Date: July 17, 2010 21:55

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
kleermaker
liddas
Mathijs
texas fan

Mathijs

Mathijs

Don't bother, eager beaver.

Date: July 17, 2010 23:15

kleermaker

That seems a good analysis to me, Mathijs. But how are you so sure it's Keith on the right channel all the way from 0:03 on? The repetitiveness and 'pattern' of this guitar reminds me of Taylor on Bitch. So to me it also could be Taylor.

Well, it's just signature Keith rythm playing, it's something he'd done the years before that and after up to about '80 or so. It's this playing around the '1' that's so typical for the Stones and Keith, and just very a-typical for Taylor. Taylor never ever played liked this, it's just not his strength. Really, it's just very signature Richards playing, just as the last 30 second of lead guitar is signature Taylor playing, beyond any doubt.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home