Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I;m Back: Lets Play Monkey Man
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:24

Hello all,
Yes....it;s Flea bit peanut time. I am not having much luck with this. The closest I am coming is some sort of Chuck Berry thing for the main riff.I've been working on it for 4 days. I am not looking at tabs as I want to try it "natural"

I have a few questions:

1) Is this song in open tuning? If so, which one? I am getting the slide "solo" part playing in open A.

2) how does one play the beginning of the main riff? Is it slide or or fingers or both? It sounds like he does it both ways. In fact, I am really struggling with the entiire riff... I am just playing an A power chord and lifting my pinky up and down, but I know it;s not right.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Re: I;m Back: Lets Play Monkey Man
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:13

The slide is in open E.

Intro is played over the top notes of a C sharp minor chord 9th fret.

The riff is in standard in key of C sharp. You hammer on from fret 6 to fret 8 of the A string and then play a C sharp on the D, G, and B strings (so, an A position chord). Then you do that classic Keith suspended thing by holding the 3-string C sharp and playing the 8th fret of the D string and 7th fret of the B string. Hammer on and off that (that's a IV chord, or E chord).

The verse starts on a E chord (A position, bar 27th fret) with hammer-ons of the B note on the A string and pull-offs on the suspended note by putting your pinky on the 5th fret of the B string.

The bridge is just E/B/A/B until it resolves in C sharp ("I'm a monkey!")

That's most of the song. The rest is just big chords. Sorry I can't write notation.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 15:58 by 71Tele.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 11, 2010 09:04

So I've come to this conclusion -

you don't know how to play the guitar.

This is an easy song to play. I'm not sure why it is difficult for you. It doesn't make sense to me that you can't get it. But then again, it's not like you're saying you can play it better or that you've found a better way, unlike some revisionist historian on the board that would boast such a bullshit thing.

I'm at a loss here so I bow out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2010 13:33

skipstone

This is an easy song to play. I'm not sure why it is difficult for you. It doesn't make sense to me that you can't get it. But then again, it's not like you're saying you can play it better or that you've found a better way, unlike some revisionist historian on the board that would boast such a bullshit thing.

Having fun in taking away someone's inspitration to play MonkeyMan?
What's easy for someone can be difficult for somebody else.winking smiley

Date: July 11, 2010 13:38

71Tele
The slide is in open E.
Sorry I can't write notation.

Here is your Form 71Tele. :

e-------------------------------------
b-------------------------------------
g-------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 11, 2010 15:14

Cafaro
Hello all,
Yes....it;s Flea bit peanut time. I am not having much luck with this. The closest I am coming is some sort of Chuck Berry thing for the main riff.I've been working on it for 4 days. I am not looking at tabs as I want to try it "natural"

I have a few questions:

1) Is this song in open tuning? If so, which one? I am getting the slide "solo" part playing in open A.

2) how does one play the beginning of the main riff? Is it slide or or fingers or both? It sounds like he does it both ways. In fact, I am really struggling with the entiire riff... I am just playing an A power chord and lifting my pinky up and down, but I know it;s not right.

some very good video instruction on youtube for this song...I try to play it too. Love that song! once you learn it its not difficult and it sure is fun

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Date: July 11, 2010 15:59

Sorry, Cafaro, my original description had a mistake in it. The verses are on an E (not cool smiley chord. I also had left out the intro, but the video above looks correct to me.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 11, 2010 16:45

i have so much respect for you guys (& gals) that play the guitar well..........probably
after a while, it feels natural but...it looks so darn complicated (to us non-players).

IORR............but I like it!

Date: July 11, 2010 17:16

Thank you all. We all learn in different ways. There are many songs I have figured out on my own but this one got me.

Sorry Skipstone. If my questions about playing guitar frustrate you so much, why do you read them?? I have been playing guitar for 18 MONTHS! I get about an hour day to play. Obviously you have been playing a lot longer and you are obviously an expert which makes me wonder why you are wasting your time bashing me when you should be off on a world tour with your band.

To the rest of you all...I again thank you. I think I had the basic idea correct. I appreciate the video. I am trying to learn the guitar by asking questions and then figuring it out. It helps me to understand the layout of notes on the neck, different ways to approach chords, etc. I will work on the ideas you all gave me and figure this out!

MANY MANY THANKS

Date: July 11, 2010 17:20

Cafaro
Thank you all. We all learn in different ways. There are many songs I have figured out on my own but this one got me.

To the rest of you all...I again thank you. I think I had the basic idea correct. I appreciate the video. I am trying to learn the guitar by asking questions and then figuring it out. It helps me to understand the layout of notes on the neck, different ways to approach chords, etc. I will work on the ideas you all gave me and figure this out!

MANY MANY THANKS

Cafaro,why not learning Tabs?It's easy to understand and lots of sites on the internet!

Date: July 11, 2010 19:06

I like to ask Stones songs questions here because we all all Stones fans here and it beats talkin about why Anita wanted Brian to dye is hair.

I also asked about Stones songs here because , as we know, KR will play the same songs differently. I mean look at Jumpin Jack Flash. That song has been done by the Stones in a number of different ways.

Yes, Amsterdamned. I do use them occassionally but I am really trying to train my ear but yes..I find them helpful. Thanks!

I think I will stick to guitar playing sites moving forward. Thank you all!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 11, 2010 20:16

skipstone

Why did you bother to comment at all? I mean really, you constantly disparage Cafaro's attempts to learn from those of us who are experienced players. If all you can contribute is is your negative crap, then keep it to yourself and continue in the belief of your 6 string "prowess"

Posted by: michel ()
Date: July 11, 2010 20:35

skipstone

This is really embarrasing for this board, skipstone you really really suckthumbs down
The guy just asks a question, and you replie like this, shame on you!!!!!!!

Date: July 11, 2010 20:38

Thanks all.........i know Mr skipstone has issues with other posts and posters as well so I dont take personally,

maybe he is ill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 20:54 by Cafaro.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 11, 2010 20:41

skipstone

Woah man. Hang on. Surely at some point you started to learn how to play the guitar or did you come out of your mothers womb with guitar in hand playing like a guitar god?

Surely you're still learning? You know everything there is to play on the guitar?

Cafaro good post man coz I wasn't sure of how to play Monkey Man and now I can.

ps I would dearly love to know what the chords are for All About you.

Cheers

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: michel ()
Date: July 11, 2010 20:46

Cafaro
Thanks all.........i know Mr skipstone has issues with other posts and posters as well so I dont takee personally,

maybe he is ill.

thumbs up

Date: July 11, 2010 20:58

Cafaro
I like to ask Stones songs questions here because we all all Stones fans here and it beats talkin about why Anita wanted Brian to dye is hair.

I also asked about Stones songs here because , as we know, KR will play the same songs differently. I mean look at Jumpin Jack Flash. That song has been done by the Stones in a number of different ways.

Yes, Amsterdamned. I do use them occassionally but I am really trying to train my ear but yes..I find them helpful. Thanks!

I think I will stick to guitar playing sites moving forward. Thank you all!

Don't be discouraged, Cafaro, and I hope you will continue to ask for tips here. If we can't help folks learn to play Stones songs here, then I don't know what this forum is for.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 11, 2010 21:51

Mark, don't you dare take your Stones questions to another board. Don't worry about Skip -- maybe another day he'll give you just the tip you need...

I think you've gotten enough help here (including the video) to get you there...let us know if you have more questions...

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 11, 2010 21:52

Funny, I JUST learned how to play this song after years of never getting it right. A lot of people say it needs a capo at the second fret but I don't see why that is necessary. Watching Keith play it on the Licks MSG dvd helped me to figure it out, and he doesn't use a capo there. Either way it is fun as hell to jam on.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:06

First off, with the aid of watching the song live from Four Flicks and YouTube, it should be somewhat easy to figure out.

Second of all, I was simply flabbergasted with the Chuck Berry description. I wasn't "bashing" Cafaro. So I don't have something 100% positive to say and suddenly I'm mean and just trolling this thread? HA! That's a good one.

Third of all, what is y'all's problem? I've been away for a few days and you act like I'm slighting Cafaro by not responding at all? I've been away working. Go back and read what I said. It's more of a "OK so this is where it's at", not a slight, and then I remark about someone else entirely that was obviously missed.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:16

You should choose your words with more care then. More than few thought you came off an a-hole. If you don't, or can't, answer the man's question then why bother? Also, didn't you say you were going to bow out? You are seemingly not a man of your word. So please, bow out...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 22:24 by ChrisM.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:31

skipstone
First off, with the aid of watching the song live from Four Flicks and YouTube, it should be somewhat easy to figure out.

Second of all, I was simply flabbergasted with the Chuck Berry description. I wasn't "bashing" Cafaro. So I don't have something 100% positive to say and suddenly I'm mean and just trolling this thread? HA! That's a good one.

Third of all, what is y'all's problem? I've been away for a few days and you act like I'm slighting Cafaro by not responding at all? I've been away working. Go back and read what I said. It's more of a "OK so this is where it's at", not a slight, and then I remark about someone else entirely that was obviously missed.

Maybe "I've determined that you don't know how to play guitar" was not particularly helpful or encouraging to Cafaro. I certainly remember being at the stage where I had only been playing 18 months and desperately wanted to learn every possible Stones song (without the benefit of help on the Internet). So, go easy, man.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 11, 2010 22:34

Cafaro

Sorry Skipstone. If my questions about playing guitar frustrate you so much, why do you read them??

To the rest of you all...I again thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 22:38 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:38

Cafaro - my apologies. Chris M - go back to editing yerself. I did bow out. Now I'm responding. Shit happens. Wind changes direction, people run their mouths, MitchFlorida keeps boxing things...

Date: July 11, 2010 22:45

It takes a real man to apologize. Well done! As to editing myself I choose my words with care and upon reflection, change them when I feel I need to, unlike some. You constantly belittle those, especially Carfaro, whom you you feel are not as well versed as you think you are in guitar playing. It's not constructive, just obnoxious...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 22:56 by ChrisM.

Date: July 11, 2010 22:55

Come ON! You didn't get the joke???!!! The editing yourself???!!!

I've never denied that I'm an @#$%&.

I constantly belittle Cafaro? Do I now. That's interesting. I don't recall "belittling" Cafaro. Provide the belittling please. I'm pretty sure I've been, shall I say, supportive of Cafaro's efforts to play things. I've poked fun at one song, I think it was Happy, to make sure that the total act of pulling a Keith is acted out. I wouldn't call that "belittling", would you?

Perhaps that could have been someone else. It was somewhat recent. I can't remember exactly. I recall talking about something in Dear Doctor and the language was somewhat confusing.

Date: July 12, 2010 02:10

The Chuck berry bit I referred to is m basically playiin a barre chord or a power chord and moving my pinkie around.

I am not and will never be discouraged by someone. My ego is way to big smiling smiley. I am goin to do whatever I feel like.

I love the intensity!

Man.....I can not wait until I ask about Brown Sugar! smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2010 02:42

Cafaro
The Chuck berry bit I referred to is m basically playiin a barre chord or a power chord and moving my pinkie around.

I am not and will never be discouraged by someone. My ego is way to big smiling smiley. I am goin to do whatever I feel like.

I love the intensity!

Brown Sugar is relatively easy. You're using the same two open G chord shapes all the way through.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2010 02:54

71Tele
Cafaro

I love the intensity!

Brown Sugar is relatively easy. You're using the same two open G chord shapes all the way through.

exactly! I want to chime in here because believe it or not, I just learned how to play in open-G. it is a real revelation. more like a feeling of " oh, so that's how its done..." and please, I've been playing a long time, but I'm primarily a bass player. one who loves to play rhythm guitar, though..so, better late than never, on the open-G ! its so right for playing rock and roll, Stones style, finding this out for myself has completely energized me and the interest in guitar. Like Cafaro, I've been searching out cool old guitars, and trying to educate myself about them.

Back to Brown Sugar...yes play it in open G, check out Stones videos, omg its one of the most fun songs to play ever,

Date: July 12, 2010 03:11

duke richardson
71Tele
Cafaro

I love the intensity!

exactly! I want to chime in here because believe it or not, I just learned how to play in open-G. it is a real revelation. more like a feeling of " oh, so that's how its done..." and please, I've been playing a long time, but I'm primarily a bass player. one who loves to play rhythm guitar, though..so, better late than never, on the open-G ! its so right for playing rock and roll, Stones style, finding this out for myself has completely energized me and the interest in guitar. Like Cafaro, I've been searching out cool old guitars, and trying to educate myself about them.

Back to Brown Sugar...yes play it in open G, check out Stones videos, omg its one of the most fun songs to play ever,

There are a ton of fun open G songs to play - it could be its own thread - but two lesser known ones I love playing are "Hand of Fate" (because of the A minor chord over the open G) and "I'm Going Down" has to be one of the greatest open G chord progressions they have done. Too bad the lyrics didn't get quite finished, or this could have been a classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 03:13 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home