Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I;m Back: Lets Play Monkey Man
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 12, 2010 03:16

I'm Going Down is open G? Awesome! Can't wait to play that. Even just KR;s false start!!!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2010 03:26

its a real buzz to find those Keith sounds, especially "Happy" ! he's said many times that, to play this song makes you happy. its true. same with 'All Down The Line'! the open G tuning is a wonderful thing. I love playing 'Soul Survivor'
been watching the Stones In Exile DVD..there's a segment that shows the band playing 'Loving Cup" this appears to me to be played in standard tuning..capo at 5th fret.
Exile is my all time favorite album. I don't know why it took so long for me to try the open tunings...guess its cause I never thought of myself as a guitar player, but man it sure is fun to play in them.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:01

mitchflorida
Cafaro

Sorry Skipstone. If my questions about playing guitar frustrate you so much, why do you read them??

To the rest of you all...I again thank you.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 13:38 by mitchflorida.

Mitch, how do you edit something TWICE that you didn't DO anything to?

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:52

It would not be a post from MitchFlorida if it was not edited at least once....part of his gossip reporter intrigue!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:10

I edited one twelve times the other day - on purpose of course - but nobody noticed! smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:00

Cafaro
I'm Going Down is open G? Awesome! Can't wait to play that. Even just KR;s false start!!!

Yeah, and even more interesting it might be Taylor on the open G rhythm, not Keith!

Date: July 12, 2010 06:03

Cafaro

Just for you, Cafaro!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

&amp;

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 12, 2010 07:31

i love the msg januray 03 licks version; mick is having real fun with the moves. band sounds great that night. a real good new york night for them. the 'b' stage stuff was awesome. the opening was awesome right from the start. it was ALL cooking i was so happy... monkey man really stood out that night; a honking gas man. really good

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:22

71Tele
duke richardson
71Tele
Cafaro
The Chuck berry bit I referred to is m basically playiin a barre chord or a power chord and moving my pinkie around.

I am not and will never be discouraged by someone. My ego is way to big smiling smiley. I am goin to do whatever I feel like.

I love the intensity!

Man.....I can not wait until I ask about Brown Sugar! smiling smiley

Brown Sugar is relatively easy. You're using the same two open G chord shapes all the way through.

exactly! I want to chime in here because believe it or not, I just learned how to play in open-G. it is a real revelation. more like a feeling of " oh, so that's how its done..." and please, I've been playing a long time, but I'm primarily a bass player. one who loves to play rhythm guitar, though..so, better late than never, on the open-G ! its so right for playing rock and roll, Stones style, finding this out for myself has completely energized me and the interest in guitar. Like Cafaro, I've been searching out cool old guitars, and trying to educate myself about them.

Back to Brown Sugar...yes play it in open G, check out Stones videos, omg its one of the most fun songs to play ever,

There are a ton of fun open G songs to play - it could be its own thread - but two lesser known ones I love playing are "Hand of Fate" (because of the A minor chord over the open G) and "I'm Going Down" has to be one of the greatest open G chord progressions they have done. Too bad the lyrics didn't get quite finished, or this could have been a classic.

The right hand Cafaro, that's Keith's secret. Pay attention to that. Don't worry to much about the left,or you will drown in digging Keith playing, reading your posts.thumbs up

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 15:55

once you managed monkey man , get onto can't you hear me knocking , monkey man lick is 99% the same as the lick before the sax solo !

any way open g chording is difficult to discribe, what is it , barrchord ,C shape etc, refer to nut or capo or fret ? look at plundered , easier to say Am G D A capo 2 fret than Bm A E B etc but D played at fret nr ( whatever) or so many up from capo ?
but what about the Am ? we can play the stuff but name it? the nature of open g makes it a Am add 9? or 11 or sus 4 ? lift your fore finger is that Amadd 9 ? easier played than written downsmiling smiley
btw plundered is a fun open g tune to play ! ( ofcourse so is happy , tumbling , before they make m.. to many to mention.

Date: July 12, 2010 16:05

you are the best tele 71! thanks again! i am all oover You Tube. Love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 16:06 by Cafaro.

Date: July 12, 2010 16:13

i again want to thank you all for your help and input. i know my questions may seem basic and simplistic but I really See, it;s easy for me to pickup chord structures of songs. I seem to be able to hear chords easiily. I can pickup rockabilly and old rock and roll songs easily.

i seem to have trouble with riffs. I can't solo at all unless I play a minor pentatonic.I need to practice picking, scales,etc so I can train my ear around playing riffs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 12, 2010 16:59

I don't know if its mentioned here already, but the main guitar of the studio version is with a capo in the second fret. The E-chord under the verses is a D-shape at the second fret.

Mathijs

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:48

I have a few questions:

1) Is this song (Monkey Man) in open tuning? If so, which one? I am getting the slide "solo" part playing in open A.

2) how does one play the beginning of the main riff? Is it slide or or fingers or both? It sounds like he does it both ways. In fact, I am really struggling with the entiire riff... I am just playing an A power chord and lifting my pinky up and down, but I know it;s not right.

- very cool and easy song to play dude

it's in standard tuning, capoed on fret no. 2. (key F#)

opening riff (intro) - bar the G, B and E strings at 9th fret, put pinky on B string at 12th fret and ring

move pinky down to 11th fret, then 10th fret keeping the bar in position at 9th and playing all the notes as you descend; finish with the three 9th fret barred notes; repeat but do it a little differntly the next time; listen to the record

next bit - quickly play riff beginning on A string 5th fret/6th fret (you can slide up to it too) then play D string 4th fret then G string 4th fret; hammer on 'Keith chord' D string at 6th fret with B string 5th fret and also (IMPORTANT!) hammer on pinky on G string at 7th fret at same time

once you get that hammer-on down you've got the riff; vary it as you please - listen to the record

verse - D - hammer on with middle finger - then back to main riff
chorus - G (I am just a monkey man) A (hope you are a monkey woman too) - then back to main riff

bridge is a 'keith chord' vamp at 4th fret (bar 4th, hammer on D string at 6th and B string at 5th)

next bit is simple D-A-G-A progression, 4 or 8 times, I forget, and then back to main riff

voila

---

Brown Sugar - open G no capo

opening riff starts with a 'keith chord' pull off at 12th fret (barring at 12, pulling off D string at 14 and B string at 13) BOM BOM

BOM BOM DA BOM BOM - at 5th fret - bar it and hammer on/pull off at D string 7th and B string 6th

main riff is 'keith chords' progression from 8th fret to 5th to 1st, to third and ending on 5th again; don't forget the hammer ons - same two notes no matter what fret yer at

verse - 5th fret to 10th fret back to 5th fret, down to 3rd fret, back up to 5th - then ring loud open G chord no fingers anywhere - and a little riff goes in there then

that's really about it. couple of different ways he plays the patterns later, but same chords

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 22:57 by stones77.

Date: July 12, 2010 23:13

Cafaro

My pleasure. I'm on a mission from God.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 13, 2010 19:19

71Tele
Cafaro

My pleasure. I'm on a mission from God.

That is a righteous mission, Tele...

Date: July 13, 2010 23:28

I just watched thhe Blues Brothers again for the 10,431st time this weekend. It never gets old. Aretha could be my favorite part of that movie.

"Don't you blaspheme in here! Don't you blaspheme in here!!"

"You ain't gonna run off with yo white hoodlum friends withh their dry white toast and their fo fried chickens"!

Classic

Date: July 14, 2010 19:26

71Tele
Cafaro
The Chuck berry bit I referred to is m basically playiin a barre chord or a power chord and moving my pinkie around.

I am not and will never be discouraged by someone. My ego is way to big smiling smiley. I am goin to do whatever I feel like.

I love the intensity!

Man.....I can not wait until I ask about Brown Sugar! smiling smiley

Brown Sugar is relatively easy. You're using the same two open G chord shapes all the way through.

Except for on the C (Bridge), where you move from the D to the G string. At least it sounds that way on the original recording.

Date: July 17, 2010 13:25

71Tele
Cafaro

Yeah, and even more interesting it might be Taylor on the open G rhythm, not Keith!

Certainly not, unless Taylor is so talented he could play bass and guitar at the same time! It's Taylor on bass, Richards open G guitar.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 17, 2010 14:55

Thx Mathjis! This board would be empty without you!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 17, 2010 15:35

re. I'm Going Down, Nico Zentgraf states the following credits:

- I'm Going Down IV (MJ/KR) - Bobby Keys on sax, Rocky Dijon on percussion,
Stephen Stills on guitar, Bill Plummer on upright bass; Metamorphosis-version (14th -15th July)

to my ears the open G guitar sounds a little too straight to be Keith's.
also, it certainly doesn't sound like an upright bass!
so, what's up with that?

btw, on the cover of Metamorphosis it says:
No one kept a list to say who played like this or clapped that way.

Date: July 17, 2010 23:22

open-g
re. I'm Going Down, Nico Zentgraf states the following credits:

- I'm Going Down IV (MJ/KR) - Bobby Keys on sax, Rocky Dijon on percussion,
Stephen Stills on guitar, Bill Plummer on upright bass; Metamorphosis-version (14th -15th July)

Zentgraf is wrong on this, something we have been debating for years now. Simple fact is: there is no upright bass on this track, and the bass just clearly is the smooth playing of Taylor, just like Tumbling Dice and Fingerprint File. Second, the track is a 1-taker, there seems not to be any overdubs. Last, Stephan Stills is not mentioned in the ABKCO and Promopub credits, and Jagger & CO do know where to put the money....

Mathijs

Date: July 25, 2010 15:48

Hello everyone,
I got side tracked a bit. I was working on Gimmie Shelter instead of Monkey Man because I I figured out the verse and I can;t stop playing it!

So to Monkey Man,
I am playing it as explained here and in the video posted (thank you all for those posts).

I tried the capo on the second fret, As Mathijs stated, I played the E for the verses as a D shape and it's easier for me to play.Are there any other changes to the fingering using the capo except moving the A and B chords on the bridge?

Date: July 25, 2010 18:16

I tried the capo on the second fret, As Mathijs stated, I played the E for the verses as a D shape and it's easier for me to play.Are there any other changes to the fingering using the capo except moving the A and B chords on the bridge?

.. capo on 2nd is correct. I've got this song down pat to where I can play it in my sleep.

You play a D chord on the 4th fret for verse.

the 'I am just a Monkey Man - hope you are a monkey woman too' bit is just a regular normal G to A chord sequence on 4th fret

The main riff is simply: play in sequence 'A' string - 7 fret and roll into 'A' string 8th fret - and then into barred D and G string at 6th fret - then while holding that barre down, hammer on D string 8th fret (ring finger) and G string 9th fret (pinky) - and pull off. The other cool riff comes from playing and pulling off those two notes at 8th and 9th frets, keeping index finger barring D and G strings at 6th fret.

bridge is a 'keith chord' lick played from 6th fret barre with hammer on at 7th fret B string same time with 8th fret D string

then it just moves to a D/A/G/A pattern at 4th fret using a suspended note in there as well, with those chords

then it's back to the main riff

Date: July 25, 2010 22:45

Thank you very much!. I will be working on that over the next few days.

Date: July 27, 2010 01:16

good luck! once you got it, it's a blast of a riff to play and goof around with

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 27, 2010 01:25

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home