Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Which guitar amplifier should I get?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2010 15:15

A good solid state amp is better than a bad tube amp ;^)

It's not a case of tubes good , transistors bad.

The problem with a lot of modern amps, [be they tube, solid state, digital modeling or whatever] is that they try to be all things to all men.

The circuits are over complicated by trying to offer too many different channels and sounds...which enevitably compromises the purity of tone and response that the classic simple circuits afford.

It's the consumer's fault though.
Our disatisfaction with an amplifier usually starts when we get up one day and want it to be a completely different amplifier than we did when we bought it.
...or when we want it to sound like Keith one day and Dave Gilmore the next ;^)

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: September 3, 2010 15:26

I would get Tech 21 CS Blonde (transistor pedal) + Fender Champion 600 (reissued tube amp) with better HP !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-03 15:27 by mistervinyl.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: September 3, 2010 17:13

Spud
A good solid state amp is better than a bad tube amp ;^)

It's not a case of tubes good , transistors bad.

The problem with a lot of modern amps, [be they tube, solid state, digital modeling or whatever] is that they try to be all things to all men.

The circuits are over complicated by trying to offer too many different channels and sounds...which enevitably compromises the purity of tone and response that the classic simple circuits afford.

It's the consumer's fault though.
Our disatisfaction with an amplifier usually starts when we get up one day and want it to be a completely different amplifier than we did when we bought it.
...or when we want it to sound like Keith one day and Dave Gilmore the next ;^)

The line 6 stuff is especially bad about this...I got a POD when they first came out, and it can replicate a wide variety of amp heads/cabs/effects decently enough, but when you compare it to the real thing, you can tell a big difference.

I have several solid state amps (Vox, Hughes & Kettner, Marshall, Fender, etc.) and several tube amps (Epiphone, Blackheart, Alamo Capri). The solid states have a lot of 'bells and whistles' such as gain, reverb, tremolo, chorus, etc. My tube amps are all super simple, they just have volume knobs (except for the Alamo, which has a tone knob also). I find myself playing the tube amps 95% of the time, they just sound better, even though I have some of the better-regarded SS amps. And effects usually sound better from a good pedal than a built-in amp feature, or multi-effects gizmo such as a POD.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2010 17:30

Modelling amps are an entire subject on their own !

They can sound very much like the real thing [especially when recorded] ..but they don't feel like the real thing to the player.

Modelling technology has a way to go before it can replicate the feel and dynamics of a good tube amplifier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-03 17:31 by Spud.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 3, 2010 18:09

Spud
Modelling amps are an entire subject on their own !

They can sound very much like the real thing [especially when recorded] ..but they don't feel like the real thing to the player.

Modelling technology has a way to go before it can replicate the feel and dynamics of a good tube amplifier.

I'm comparing the real tube amps with the modelling ones or modelling software for a few years now. The software engineers have made a huge approach. But it's still a long way to go, before they sound as good as the originals.
Although you can get good results with software like guitar rig. They give you so much setting options (pedals, amps, cabinets, mic, etc.), that I'm always spending more time playing with the different sounds, that playing guitar.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 5, 2010 11:41

Here's an option (2 watts):

[www.voxamps.com]

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 5, 2010 12:29

How about a Fender 65 Princeton Reissue. Great little amp only 15 watts of pure Fender tone. Gotta be Fender all the way. Just read the review of the new Fender Super Sonic 22w in Guitarist mag and they really heaped praise on it. My current rig consists of a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb with a Blackstar HT dual pedal on the front. Sounds marvellous but it may not be for everyone.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2010 12:59

I would recommend to search for a (in good shape) second hand Mesa MK-3.
With a bit of luck you get one of the best allround amps ever made for 600-1000$
3 channels, no poppycock.
Great clean sound, jazzy, bluesy, country, rock, ( metal..? ), without compromising.
Preferably with a graphic eq. Enough power on every stage, unsurpassed sound for recordings.
It takes a bit of time to handle it, but then:

Plug and play, imo...smiling smiley

Some reviews :

[reviews.harmony-central.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-05 13:14 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home