Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Heartbreaking picture of Brian
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 21, 2011 21:01

mitchflorida
At this point, Brian was prettier than Anita was.

Have to agree with you on this one mitchflorida!

Date: July 21, 2011 21:11

Marie
mitchflorida
The second was to an older married woman? Am I supposed to feel sorry for Brian for that? The third one was when he was 19. Isn't he considered an adult at 19?

How about number 4 and number 5? You didn't talk about those.

Sorry. Number 4 is Linda Lawrence's son Julian. Number 5 was put up for adoption by Dawn Malloy, born in 1965. Not trying to make excuses for him. Just statin' the facts.

Brian had six children, the five mentioned above and the last was born in February of 1969, a girl, Barbara, with an (I believe it was an American) model, who returned to the Chicago area afterwards.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 21, 2011 21:27

Blue
mitchflorida
At this point, Brian was prettier than Anita was.

Have to agree with you on this one mitchflorida!

So at that point, who would you rather be in bed with? I'd be with Anita.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 21:43

Brian just deteriorated so suddenly....that's why alcohol is so much more dangerous than any other drug. The drugs played a part most definitely, but I've seen so many people just go down so quick from alcohol. Sad.

Date: July 21, 2011 23:41

stupidguy2
Brian just deteriorated so suddenly....that's why alcohol is so much more dangerous than any other drug. The drugs played a part most definitely, but I've seen so many people just go down so quick from alcohol. Sad.

Agreed stupidguy2! Always thought that was Brians major problem, that he became an alcoholic, at an early age too IMHO... it destroys your looks, and wreaks havoc on you and the people around you. There are so many pix with him with a drink in his hand, and almost always with a cigarette too. On top of this he had asthma.. But, the alcohol could explain lots of mood changes, and even some of the violence toward women ( if they are true), not to excuse the behavior, but may help explain it a bit, and of course tripping out on so many drugs didn't help such an emotional person such as Brian. Believe it or not, back in the sixties, alcoholism as barely recognized as a disease, or taken very seriously as a major problem. This has been a problem throughout the years to so many talented people IMHO.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2011 23:45

Blue
stupidguy2

Agreed stupidguy2! Always thought that was Brians major problem, that he became an alcoholic, at an early age too IMHO... it destroys your looks, and wreaks havoc on you and the people around you. There are so many pix with him with a drink in his hand, and almost always with a cigarette too. On top of this he had asthma.. But, the alcohol could explain lots of mood changes, and even some of the violence toward women ( if they are true), not to excuse the behavior, but may help explain it a bit, and of course tripping out on so many drugs didn't help such an emotional person such as Brian. Believe it or not, back in the sixties, alcoholism as barely recognized as a disease, or taken very seriously as a major problem. This has been a problem throughout the years to so many talented people IMHO.

Brian never looked like an alcoholic, nor are their any stories of abuse of alcohol by him. There are many stories though of him downing about any drug known to man in huge quantities.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 22, 2011 00:06

There's lots of comments from Charlie, Stu etc about Brian's drinking.

Brian an alcoholic? For sure he was!

Date: July 22, 2011 00:25

His Majesty
There's lots of comments from Charlie, Stu etc about Brian's drinking.

Brian an alcoholic? For sure he was!

I just doubt that. I haven't read much comments on this, but I read a lot of comments on his drug use. For example, Andrew Loog Oldham's books.

Mathijs

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: July 22, 2011 00:44

I guess some of you idolize Brian Jones and the "heartbreaking" photo. Perhaps if you had someone actually close to you die, or know of a child who has died of cancer, etc., you might call something "heartbreaking," rather than an abusive alcoholic/drug addict blond instrumentalist who essentially dug his own grave.

Read Keith's book for accounts of BJ's sadistic, spiteful behavior. This was not a nice person. Sometimes I look at videos of Elvis in '77, before his death. It's a path the man chose for himself, and no one around him could save him. As one of his bodyguards asked, rhetorically, "How can you save a man from himself?"

BJ deserves credit for being "obsessed" about the Stones (Jagger's word), and giving them the push to make it, in the beginning. So props there, and with the french horns and sitar. Beyond that, it's all Keith. Even when BJ was technically alive, Keith had to record the lead parts. Sympathy is an example. MT blew the doors off anything BJ could contribute on guitar. That's how it is for me, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-22 00:45 by paulm.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 22, 2011 00:56

"booze and pills and powders" have a way of catching up with people

Date: July 22, 2011 01:40

steverogan

Date: July 22, 2011 01:41

Blue
steverogan

Except for Keith!

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 22, 2011 02:32

paulm
Read Keith's book for accounts of BJ's sadistic, spiteful behavior. This was not a nice person.
It's the Anita-incident all over again in Keith's head. Jealousy, guilt and bitterness in a beautiful mix. That's why Brian is portrayed like that in Life.

Brian was saved when he left the Stones (if we are to believe the ones who met, lived and knew him at that time). He wasn't alone and depressed like Elvis when he died. Always something.

Date: July 22, 2011 03:15

I don't think so Tonterapi, Keith moved on and found love with Patty. No bitterness there, just retelling the story. If you can quote the "ones who met, lived with" etc., great, but by what I've read Dude was a pretty dark cat, and not particularly nice. Not that any of the Stones are "nice", but BJ seemed downright sadistic. But we all dig different types, so YMMV.

Date: July 22, 2011 03:32

Mathijs

I just doubt that. I haven't read much comments on this, but I read a lot of comments on his drug use. For example, Andrew Loog Oldham's books.

Mathijs

I've read many, more on drugs of course, but there's quite a number comments about his drinking from quite a number of people.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 22, 2011 04:19

ghostryder13
i never had the impression that mick and keith disliked brian but were fustrated because his drug use was hurting the band. when you're fustrated at someone you my say and do things to upset them just to let off steam. who knew he was was going to die? they were not psychic (that i know of) i think alot of keith's issues with drug abuse was internal guilt over that and taking anita away from him. i always felt that when keith stopped using heroin he left anita because he would always tempted to start up again because of the guilt.

I think Tony Sanchez summed it up well, they didn't consciously set out to destroy him, but they were just so busy that they had to make do and couldn't afford to carry him. Jagger said in an interview a couple of years ago that these days there would be support structures in place, rehab, whatever. That wasn't there in 1967. Easy to look back in hindsight. Plus they were in their early 20s, it's not like males at that age are sensative new age souls.

It has been noted that Jagger was continually asking after Brian's health after he left, my gut feel is professionally he didn't want to jeopardise the Stones and see them fall apart so he took control (which he took further when Keith was absent for most of the '70s). Personally I don't think he had animosity towards him, but was too busy to do anything else.

Keith however I reckon is easily the more coldhearted of the two. He's never wanted to acknowledge that Brian Jones even started the band, so anything he says about him I'd disregard. He's fashioned a legend that he's the all-powerful guitar god in the Stones and he doesn't want anyone else's contributions acknowledged at all. Shame because he doesn't need to be that insecure.

As for Brian Jones, no doubt a really complex character. His bad points should be acknowledged, but so should his talents as a guitarist and musician. The slide solo on "I Wanna Be Your Man" is probably what made me want to play guitar more than anything else - it's still electrifying. Again, although they want us to believe he did nothing useful at all for the last couple of years, it's his slide on "No Expectations", and there's nothing wrong with his playing there.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 22, 2011 05:21

paulm
BJ deserves credit for being "obsessed" about the Stones (Jagger's word), and giving them the push to make it, in the beginning. So props there, and with the french horns and sitar. Beyond that, it's all Keith. Even when BJ was technically alive, Keith had to record the lead parts. Sympathy is an example. MT blew the doors off anything BJ could contribute on guitar. That's how it is for me, anyway.

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read on this site. Brian contributed much more than french horns and sitar to the Rolling Stones. Try listening to their first few albums. Keith didn't always record 'lead' parts as you say, and MT was surely was one of the greatest guitarists in rock history but he still couldn't fill Brian's shoes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2011 05:48

Regarding Brian's alcohol usage: I think I remember reading that the reason he got so pudgy at the end was from drinking Brandy Alexanders. (Brandy & ice cream). Doesn't his death certificate mention an enlarged liver? Having now been around a few real alcoholics, they don't change when they go dry. In other words if they were a-holes drunk, they often remain a-holes when they're sober. Whatever is being avoided by the drinking is still there. It's pretty obvious that Brian had some sort of emotional problem, or many. You don't go around callously leaving abandoned children (6) without something wrong going on in your mind. Actually he seems pretty common in his vanity and narcissism. The only thing that separated him from everyday alcoholics/drug addicts, was his talent and fame. From what I've read of him he was already exhibiting anti-social behavior before he ever met Alexis Korner.

I wonder, as others have speculated, if Keith's antipathy towards Brian is rooted in classism. Keith was working class, where you don't have to luxury of indulging your personality problems. You have to push onward. There is no choice. Brian never had the privations of Keith, Bill & Charlie (and Stu also).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 22, 2011 09:34

Rollin' Stoner
punkfloyd
First time for me to see this picture. He looks absolutely wasted. And his two mates don't seem to give a shit.

maybe that's because they're wasted too

that was my first thought aswell...haha>grinning smiley<

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: July 22, 2011 10:26

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

I've read many, more on drugs of course, but there's quite a number comments about his drinking from quite a number of people.

Yes, Brian had a problem with alcohol from the earliest of days to the last of days regardless of what drug he was doing. Anecdotes abound about this.

Date: July 22, 2011 14:23

neptune
MT was surely was one of the greatest guitarists in rock history but he still couldn't fill Brian's shoes.
Good thing MT could not fill Brian's shoes: showing up incoherent to recording sessions, being paranoid, sadistic, abusive to women, etc. Good thing, Neptune.

BJ played lead on early recordings. Not so in '68. And MT brought the band to new heights. Call it destiny.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-22 14:28 by paulm.

Date: July 22, 2011 16:44

paulm
I don't think so Tonterapi, Keith moved on and found love with Patty. No bitterness there, just retelling the story. If you can quote the "ones who met, lived with" etc., great, but by what I've read Dude was a pretty dark cat, and not particularly nice. Not that any of the Stones are "nice", but BJ seemed downright sadistic. But we all dig different types, so YMMV.
Yes, he did. But I still believe that Anita was the love of his life.
If Keith really had wanted to retelling the story about Brian he wouldn't have portrayed him so one-sided negative. I mean he didn't even give Brian credit for starting the band. Looking at photos show that B and K had good times as well. But sadly, Keith has only talked about it a few times and you can see in his eyes that he find it to be a difficult subject.

I can quote them but I honestly don't have the time to do so. Aleksis Korner, Mary Hallett, Anna Wohlin and Helen Spittal for starters were people around him who has told their stories about Brian. Laura Jackson's book Golden Stone is a good starter. I don't give much for what she writes but it's full of qoutes from people who met or knew him. Some of those show another guy - an ordinary guy who's biggest wall in life was his insecurity.
I think it's sad that people constantly think that he just was a sadistic SOB when records say something else. If Brian didn't have any nice sides then why the heck would people want to be with him? Why do his old girls who he abused defend him? Why aren't his actions ever put in context with his background and time he lived in? Some people seem to be happy with the judgement that he just was an a-hole. Brian was the world's first one-sided human. No further explanation needed. Since most bios and documenatries about the Stones is based on what Keith and Mick say that's the only Brian we'll get.

Brian sure had a dark side wich Charlie compared with the one of John Lennon. We all know that John could be both a nice and funny guy as well as a cynical, violent and cruel. That comparison put Brian in another light - it makes him human and, like John, a flawed one. I think that's probably more fair than Keith's constant bashing. It's like penis size contest about who is and was the Stones. Brian is dead so it's easy to kick on him. He never got any chance to defend himself.

paulm
Good thing MT could not fill Brian's shoes: showing up incoherent to recording sessions, being paranoid, sadistic, abusive to women, etc. Good thing, Neptune.
So you'll just continue to focus on his darker sides that has nothing to do with him as a musician? Isn't that a little too one-sided?

Keith has said that Bobby Keys was like Brian as a person. Does that mean that Bobby was an a-hole too?

Date: July 22, 2011 16:48

24FPS
You don't go around callously leaving abandoned children (6) without something wrong going on in your mind. Actually he seems pretty common in his vanity and narcissism.

You can't blame all that on Brian -it was common practice to have your child adopted when you where either under-aged or not married in the 50's and 60's. Abortion wasn't an option yet.

Mathijs

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 22, 2011 16:56

Hairball

Wow, that was cool - thanks, Hairball. Mick is great in this, esp. the moment he comes out from under the fur rug au naturel.

P.s. Not to go OT (since Majesty mentioned 'em) but are the Andrew Loog Oldham books a worthwhile read? Is he a reliable source for Brian/Stones info?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-22 17:03 by Claire_M.

Date: July 22, 2011 17:03

Mathijs
You can't blame all that on Brian -it was common practice to have your child adopted when you where either under-aged or not married in the 50's and 60's. Abortion wasn't an option yet.

Mathijs
+1 on that Mathjis! An unwedded mother seems to have been the worst kind of citizen at that time.

Brian was an idiot for not pulling out in time if he had no plans on being a father. But being who he was he thought that he did the right thing when the managment told him that he didn't have to take care of his children. A little bit of money and problem solved. Young and stupid...

Date: July 22, 2011 18:48

Points taken tonterapi that Lennon and others for that matter have a dark side that belies their peace & love public image. Heck even Macca had battering allegations in the past. The list goes on. I just don't romanticize these people, as some seem to.

By Jagger's account, BJ was the one who really pushed for success. Obviously, very early on, he--not Mick or Keith--was the focus of the band. I just think Keith was the artist, the composer, the real talent, not Brian. Brian was a very versatile instrumentalist. Disagree with me all you want, it's how I see it. And for me, the band went to their best level with Mick Taylor. Those are the recordings I return to time and again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2011 19:48

tonterapi
Mathijs

Mathijs
+1 on that Mathjis! An unwedded mother seems to have been the worst kind of citizen at that time.

Brian was an idiot for not pulling out in time if he had no plans on being a father. But being who he was he thought that he did the right thing when the managment told him that he didn't have to take care of his children. A little bit of money and problem solved. Young and stupid...

BS. Doing it once is understandable. Doing it 6 times means you are a narcissistic a-hole. A musically talented, sartorially blessed, true bluesman, a-hole.

Date: July 22, 2011 20:11

24FPS

BS. Doing it once is understandable. Doing it 6 times means you are a narcissistic a-hole. A musically talented, sartorially blessed, true bluesman, a-hole.

Can't really argue with that eh!? thumbs up

Date: July 22, 2011 22:00

paulm
Points taken tonterapi that Lennon and others for that matter have a dark side that belies their peace & love public image. Heck even Macca had battering allegations in the past. The list goes on. I just don't romanticize these people, as some seem to.

By Jagger's account, BJ was the one who really pushed for success. Obviously, very early on, he--not Mick or Keith--was the focus of the band. I just think Keith was the artist, the composer, the real talent, not Brian. Brian was a very versatile instrumentalist. Disagree with me all you want, it's how I see it. And for me, the band went to their best level with Mick Taylor. Those are the recordings I return to time and again.
I don't disagree with you. Keith's song writing is the back bone of the band and I don't mind that somebody prefer Taylor instead of Jones. It's just a matter of taste and Taylor was the right guy for the Stones in 69! Jones wanted out and the band wanted him out. It was the best thing for both sides to part ways.

No, I don't want to romanticize them either. My point was that they were all human with both good and bad in them. Brian probably had the hardest time of all to deal with fame, drugs, stress of touring and what have you. Together with paranoia and insecurity it was bound to go wrong in the end. The drug busts broke him but also saved him in a way. Just like there are stories about him acting like an abusive jerk or sadistic bastard; there's also stories about his more caring and nicer sides. I think that Brian wanted to belong but didn't knew how. Let's just say that drugs didn't help him.

24FPS
]BS. Doing it once is understandable. Doing it 6 times means you are a narcissistic a-hole. A musically talented, sartorially blessed, true bluesman, a-hole.
thumbs up I didn't try to excuse his behaviour at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-22 22:03 by tonterapi.

Posted by: 120V60Hz ()
Date: July 22, 2011 22:17

Jeez I am shocked there are only six of them the way he went at it. It was half the girls' fault too. Didn't some of them have kids before they had Brian' s? And the married girls, didn't they get it that if you stick that in there without putting on one of those, in 9 months you'll have one of these? They were all stupid, not just Brian. But then again I bet all of them are glad they are here anyways, no matter how it happened.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home