Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Should the Stones keep rolling?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 29, 2010 22:57

all the Exile press, and on the board here, comparisons to the Beatles, a band that broke up 41 years ago, is cause for pause. So the Stones could make a new record, and probably could tour again, but...should they? A lot of risk involved, personal, and to their rep as a band. No one really wants to see them if its not great and chances are it won't be.
I think even a new album wil provoke a lot of 'Why are they still doing this"..
but still I want to hear what they've got left. I just hope they don't do a lot of damage by continuing to try to be the Rolling Stones.

Re: Should the Stones keep rolling?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:01

duke richardson
I just hope they don't do a lot of damage by continuing to try to be the Rolling Stones.

maybe they should try to be swinging blue jeans for a change - nobody's tried to be them for awhile now.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:04

as long as its not the New Christy Minstrels.
>grinning smiley<

Date: June 29, 2010 23:07

duke richardson
as long as its not the New Christy Minstrels.
>grinning smiley<

but it's green they say on the far side of the hill...and they are kinda already over the hill, so, i say go for it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:11

I would like to hear them cover "Hang on Sloopy".

Date: June 29, 2010 23:12

treaclefingers

so it's settled, then - they should try to be the mccoys

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:33

yes,the stones should keep playing.and they will,probably one last goodbye to the stadiums and then downsize the tours.

they could also work on studio recordings from here on.they havent made nearly enough records in the last 30 years and the ones they have done were thrown together in two weeks.this is probably what youll see in the future,going through the archives,making some new songs and playing gigs at their own pace.i wouldnt bet against one more go round for the circus though.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:46

They should have quit when Keith fell off of that coconut...

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:58

I want a new Stones tour and I want a new Stones album. I hope see you all in the next tour in 2011.winking smiley

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 30, 2010 00:46

AS long as the passion and desire is still with them to play,I would love to see them tour again.If the creative juices are still flowing for Mick and Keith, a new album would be a bonus.

Date: June 30, 2010 01:01

klrkcr
AS long as the passion and desire is still with them,

you mean a$ long a$ the pa$$ion and de$ire i$ $till with them?

Date: June 30, 2010 01:06

StonesTod
treaclefingers

so it's settled, then - they should try to be the mccoys

damn...I thought that was the Swinging Blue Jeans!

Date: June 30, 2010 01:07

Hi StonesTod - in that case mate, it will all depend on Mick and Mr Cohl.If they do go round again, and play the huge stadiums - it will be a sign of who has the most " pa$$ion".

Date: June 30, 2010 01:09

klrkcr
Hi StonesTod - in that case mate, it will all depend on Mick and Mr Cohl.If they do go round again, and play the huge stadiums - it will be a sign of who has the most " pa$$ion".

hmmm...think they'll do that as a rod stewart cover?

Date: June 30, 2010 01:16

I probably couldnt afford a ticket anyway!!

Date: June 30, 2010 01:18

StonesTod
klrkcr

There's a Rod Stewart cover I'd really like to hear them do...I think it's from his first album.

What's it called?? Street Fighting Man, I think...

Date: June 30, 2010 01:20

treaclefingers
StonesTod
klrkcr

There's a Rod Stewart cover I'd really like to hear them do...I think it's from his first album.

haha - well, if they covered it the way rod covered it, i would say the lads had had a nice "recovery"

Date: June 30, 2010 01:22

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
klrkcr

haha - well, if they covered it the way rod covered it, i would say the lads had had a nice "recovery"

made you laff!

Posted by: vesaas ()
Date: June 30, 2010 02:48

The Stones should absolutely play live. You all know that rock'n roll still has a lot of growing to do. We all have to grow up. And as we grow, we are changing. This is the core of The Great Stones. Not the "better with Bill og Mick T" and all the other crap. Just grow, and maby even get old. I wanna hear the Old Stones!

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 02:53

Absolutely. Its about time, 3 years has passed since the last tour. Despite the ages they are I don't think they're too old to do it, its not like they're 80, I think they can still do it in their 60s. Also, I have never seen them.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:40

By all means they should tour. I am sick and tired of fans telling them what to do and what not to do. And yes, they need to be paid very well, since they are in fact the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

If Keith wants to pose, let him pose. If Ronnie wants to clown around, let him do so. If someone standing next to me at a concert were to tell me to stop dancing or singing or making too much noise, I would tell them to kiss my big you know what. Keith and Ronnie need to do the same. Fans need to stop making too many rules for Stones' appropriate behavior. Stones music is about having fun and not following a strict code of behavior.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:56

They are beyond having a Buena Vista Social Club moment. That's a brilliant documentary about some very serious people playing some very serious music that is beyond beautiful.

If the Stones were to not tour again - ever - the only people that would notice are the people that push their stages around the world. The rest of the people wouldn't. Fans would - but they wouldn't.

SHOULD they? Ask them. That's not up to us to decide. If I was asked by one of them, I'd tell them, "NO more tours, do a new album, but give us the vaults - finished, unfinished, touched up - something. There's some good stuff in the vaults that you made a lot of mistakes about not letting out."

COULD they? Ask them. It's up to them to decide. They're beyond performing BECAUSE of the money, it's simply showing up FOR the money. That was obvious on the A Bigger Bang tour. They wasted people's money on that tour.

On that note, should they tour again?

I think in a way, yes, but only in the sense of it being a total hits review. So on that note, no. There is no pushing the limits, the boundaries, of the band, of the catalogue. It's all about the money now. It's 100% arrogance now. They really don't have to play anything past one song in 1981 and one song in 1978. So if you thing about it, they could stop as late as 1974's It's Only Rock'N'Roll if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with the music, with the songs, that they've created. It's strictly about making money. The music is a side note.

They're beyond 'growing the music up'. You can't do that. It doesn't work that way.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 30, 2010 05:55

It's already far too late for them to exit gracefully, so they may as well just keep rolling until the wheels fall off.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: June 30, 2010 11:47

A world tour?

No, they might appear pathetic, which would be the worst fate for them - they´ve been ridiculous, foolish, stupid, you name it, but so far not pathetic.

A new album?

No, who would want to listen to new songs and end up feeling betrayed because they don´t sound like Sticky Fingers or Exile on main St etc.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 30, 2010 11:51

I think they will keep going until they're no longer fit to make music or tour anymore.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 13:09

yes, the can go on. the 4 of them, it means with charlie and ronnie too.
and with more arena gigs, stadiums can be risky in some countries

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 30, 2010 13:32

Yes they should keep touring til they can't or one of them dies. how can they ever damage their reputation? Are you going to like Ya Ya's less or Exile less if they mess up, no of cause not. They will always be known as the Greatest rock and roll band in the world. Paul McCartney is still touring 40 years after the Beatles split, and how can he be a good as them? That has not stopped him tho' and because of him touring I can't see people liking the Beatles less, it just doesn't work that way.

The Stones have done great things and that can't be taken away from them, look at Chuck Berry in his 80's, just because he's only a shadow of his former self he is enjoying playing and his early music is as great now as it has always been.

Hope The Stones Roll again on a world tour, I can't wait.If they don't play as well as last time i won't care i just like seeing them, it's a bit like old family really.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 30, 2010 13:36

I believe that they will record and tour again unless something tragic happens to Mick, Keith or Charlie. Whatever music they create in the future won't probably be as good as their best material from the past but I won't hold it against them. When Mick decides that it's time for them to record and tour I'll be there waiting and excited to listen to their new music; it has been that way for the last 35 years.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 30, 2010 14:22

StonesTod
klrkcr
AS long as the passion and desire is still with them,

you mean a$ long a$ the pa$$ion and de$ire i$ $till with them?[/quote accurate analysis .

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 14:28

Yes they should.
They still can play stadium shows better then anyone else.
I need more new Stones music, too.
They still excite me.
"Every Day I need Another Doze..."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home