Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
One month on: Super Deluxe Exile a waste
Posted by: R ()
Date: June 24, 2010 16:44

I loathe to say it but I've come to the conclusion that the uber-deluxe "Exile" reissue was a pointless rip-off.

1. The vinyl LPs don't sound as good as the originals because they're derived from the CD master.

2. The CD doesn't sound as good as the '94 Virgin version so what the hell's the point?

3. The extras are fine but available in their own unique packaging for less than a $1 per song.

4. The DVD is, as the others here describe it, a wasted opportunity. It's essentially an advertising tease for 'Ladies & Gentlemen' and 'Stones In Exile.'

5. The book is a well put together keepsake but is poorly bound and hardly worth in excess of $100 in its own right.

6. Four flimsy reproductions of the twelve original postcards add a bit of insult to the previous injuries.

I think you'll see my nearly new Exile Super Deluxe box on eBay in short order.

Re: One month on: Super Deluxe Exile a waste
Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:52

I feel sorry for anyone who bought this.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:57

Agree on everything, save point no. 2.

But the Ya Ya superdeluxe tought me the lesson and this time I saved my money ...

C

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:02

stonesseventytwo

Thank you so very much for feeling sorry for me. But it ain't necessary. I am still very happy with this box. But thanks again for your sympathy.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:11

We get your point.

Do you really need to post the same thing twice??????

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:15

stonesseventytwo

Please don't. Just live your own life.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:17

Definetely agree on points #1 and #4, but come on... Stop the drama, please. The previously unreleased stuff makes it for me. Other than that I didn't expect much else, and I'm no Einstein.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:23

I've DL'ed it from a p2p site : I got rid of the EOMS tracks immediately (I still have the 94 cd), I've watched the trailer/dvd once, I have listened to the outtakes for about 2 days... then I moved the whole package to an external HD wher it rests, forgotten.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:29

So what to do suggest?

No more new releases?

Give it all up?

What, cause your all never happy??

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:38

Handova
Definetely agree on points #1 and #4, but come on... Stop the drama, please. The previously unreleased stuff makes it for me. Other than that I didn't expect much else, and I'm no Einstein.

I suppose I was hoping (against hope) that the vinyl pressings would be handled in a top-drawer manner, like the recent Jimi Hendrix reissues which were remastered from the original tapes. I compared the vinyl side-by-side with the original and, overall, the most celebrated murky sounding LP in history sounds better in tis original form. The vinyl is different, at best, but no better.

The unreleased stuff is still $9.99 at my local TARGET store.

The DVD is an effing infomercial.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:41

when do record labels ever get it right? hardly.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:48

dcba
I've DL'ed it from a p2p site : I got rid of the EOMS tracks immediately (I still have the 94 cd), I've watched the trailer/dvd once, I have listened to the outtakes for about 2 days... then I moved the whole package to an external HD wher it rests, forgotten.

Too bad for you...

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 19:00

R
The DVD is an effing infomercial.

Agreed.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:28

R
I loathe to say it but I've come to the conclusion that the uber-deluxe "Exile" reissue was a pointless rip-off.

1. The vinyl LPs don't sound as good as the originals because they're derived from the CD master.

2. The CD doesn't sound as good as the '94 Virgin version so what the hell's the point?

3. The extras are fine but available in their own unique packaging for less than a $1 per song.

4. The DVD is, as the others here describe it, a wasted opportunity. It's essentially an advertising tease for 'Ladies & Gentlemen' and 'Stones In Exile.'

5. The book is a well put together keepsake but is poorly bound and hardly worth in excess of $100 in its own right.

6. Four flimsy reproductions of the twelve original postcards add a bit of insult to the previous injuries.

4 and 5 were the reasons why I had no interest in paying for this.

The 2-CD version and the long version of 'Stones in Exile' were all that interested me and they could be bought separately - and even had I bought the vinyl (which I toyed with buying although havent done as yet and probably wont) that would still have come to about a third of the price of the Super Deluxe.

£60-70 extra to get a photobook and a few postcards that I'll maybe look at twice? Each to their own, but in fairness we had plenty of notice that there wasnt much extra in the Super Deluxe version and that the 30-minute DVD was a waste of time.

For what its worth, while I'm not an audiophile and I've been critical about the policy of remastering the already-excellent Virgin CDs without adding bonus material, I do think the UMG remaster of Exile is slightly better.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:16

How I say before in other topic, some persons think all bad. No surprise.
Get yer release - a crap
exile release - a crap
stones in exile - a crap
universal remasters - crap

If you to consider what some guys to write here you don´t buy anything about the stones. because all is crap. nothing is good. Friends, more sweet fruits and no lemon.

:-)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:25

carlostones10
Get yer release - a crap
exile release - a crap
stones in exile - a crap

If you to consider what some guys to write here you don´t buy anything about the stones. because all is crap. nothing is good. Friends, more sweet fruits and no lemon.

how does all crap releases for the past 2 years lead to the statement that "nothing is good"? Certainly one can be a fan of the band and be disappointed in these.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:41

But nothing is good? Well, I can see a lot of great recent releases. But is just my opinion and I am just a stones fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 22:46 by carlostones10.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:50

R

You needed to buy the item to discover that?
People are strange sometimes...

I personnaly bought the japanese Deluxe and am very pleased with it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 24, 2010 22:55

mitch
R

You needed to buy the item to discover that?
People are strange sometimes...

I personnaly bought the japanese Deluxe and am very pleased with it.

you knew all these things would be true and bought it anyway? that's even stranger.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:06

i downloaded the new tracks only.
and i only like 2 of them unfortunately.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:07

All the freaking whining about this...it's ridiculous. There was PLENTY of notice of what was included with this release, and PLENTY of discussion right on this board as to whether it would be worth it. We knew it wouldn't be worth it, but if you had the money to throw around, I guess, what the hell?

If you bought all the stuff separately, ie the double CD and the double vinyl (forget about the useless 'teaser' DVD), all you were left with was a book, presumably worth $100, based on the cost of the other items.

I even started a thread comparing the Uber Deluxe Exile to the Uber Deluxe Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, which was selling for almost half the price, AND you got an extra CD AND an extra slab of vinyl. Some people didn't think this was worth it, so why would spending twice as much on fewer items be of value?

Caveat emptor...it's not like you didn't know what you were buying, and if you didn't know what you were buying, whose fault is that?!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:09

"Too bad for you..."

not that's okay thank you very much. Could have been worse, I could have paid for this...

My 125 units went elsewhere :
[www.steidlville.com] which is a more satisfying time-trip (and I got it when it was at 125 units) grinning smiley

But I bet yer @ss the L&G bluray's gonna kick some!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-25 00:44 by dcba.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:08

I still think the way i went was the best, the 2cd version plus the stones in exile dvd, saved a ton and the dvd from the box set is only a teaser anyway

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:33

R

Sounds like you've come down with a case of buyer's regret.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:41

About the DVD: [www.iorr.org]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 25, 2010 00:41

carlostones10
Get yer release - a crap
exile release - a crap
stones in exile - a crap

Can you name one person who said that all of those releases were 'crap' ?

Date: June 25, 2010 00:42

treaclefingers
All the freaking whining about this...it's ridiculous. There was PLENTY of notice of what was included with this release, and PLENTY of discussion right on this board as to whether it would be worth it. We knew it wouldn't be worth it, but if you had the money to throw around, I guess, what the hell?

If you bought all the stuff separately, ie the double CD and the double vinyl (forget about the useless 'teaser' DVD), all you were left with was a book, presumably worth $100, based on the cost of the other items.

I even started a thread comparing the Uber Deluxe Exile to the Uber Deluxe Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, which was selling for almost half the price, AND you got an extra CD AND an extra slab of vinyl. Some people didn't think this was worth it, so why would spending twice as much on fewer items be of value?

Caveat emptor...it's not like you didn't know what you were buying, and if you didn't know what you were buying, whose fault is that?!

Absolutely right.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:43

I don't know what this set is going for overseas but in the US, Almost $ 200.00 is really a lot considering what one would be getin the box set .
Tom Petty 's live box set went for half of that amount and one would find a book, a live record. 2 full dvd live concerts, 5 live recorded discs and a blue ray disc to play all the live recordings just to get that sound. They even threw in a couple of back stage passes. The music was recorded just fine and the sound on all of the media was great. You could not go wrong with that set.
I wanted to pick up the Box set but I would up getting the 2 cd disc and the Exile DVD just yesterday, The DVD which is great. I know what R is talking about and it is disappointing to think that the Stones would think that they would need to get that amount of money considering the product they offered....

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:50

meh... i didnt and wouldnt buy it (flacs of exile are all thats left on my main hd), but i wont begrudge anyone for getting it. ive spent a small fortune on silver boot cds and vinyl while others are happy with the flacs and cheap cd-rs, i say whatever.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:52

dcba
"Too bad for you..."

not that's okay thank you very much. Could have been worse, I could have paid for this...

My 125 units went elsewhere :
[www.steidlville.com] which is a more satisfying time-trip (and I got it when it was at 125 units) grinning smiley

But I bet yer @ss the L&G bluray's gonna kick some!
hell yeah!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home