Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in Exile - my take
Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: June 26, 2010 07:29

I just finished watching this: Over all I would give it a C+/B-

Things that stood out:

1.) the Nov 69 Rainbow Room press conference which the producers of this "film" erroneously pinpointed to 1/28/69. This was a gross error. Why don't these idiots hire someone from this board to do some fact checking before they roll out ( no pun intended) their final product. I just couldn't believe this.
2.) The faux Nellcot receations were tacky. Every other scene had a bottle of Jack Daniels. I'll bet the Stones didn't even have JD there in France at that time.
3.) Who is Jack White ? Never heard of him. And he obvioulsy didn't know very much about EOMS judging from his comment at the beginning of the "film". Why not have some cultural critics of some import like Robert Hilburn or Ben Fong Torres to talk about the importance of EOMS.
4.) Anita looks so much like Keith. Those two belong together. Keith shold drop Patti and resume his life with Anita.
5.) Man, these people were terrible parents !

Re: Stones in Exile - my take
Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 26, 2010 09:49

stonesseventytwo
3.) Who is Jack White ? Never heard of him.

!

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 10:22

never heard of jack white? are you serious?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 10:31

i heard of him, i don´t find him very talented but very overrated.
and i have the feeling he starts to believe the hype himself.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 26, 2010 14:40

stoneswashed77
i heard of him, i don´t find him very talented but very overrated.
and i have the feeling he starts to believe the hype himself.

I even got 2 of their records. But I think pretty much the same as you.
(Although a few of them tracks are quite ok.)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:33

stonesseventytwo

Things that stood out:

1.) the Nov 69 Rainbow Room press conference which the producers of this "film" erroneously pinpointed to 1/28/69. This was a gross error. Why don't these idiots hire someone from this board to do some fact checking before they roll out ( no pun intended) their final product. I just couldn't believe this.
2.) The faux Nellcot receations were tacky. Every other scene had a bottle of Jack Daniels. I'll bet the Stones didn't even have JD there in France at that time.
3.) Who is Jack White ? Never heard of him. And he obvioulsy didn't know very much about EOMS judging from his comment at the beginning of the "film". Why not have some cultural critics of some import like Robert Hilburn or Ben Fong Torres to talk about the importance of EOMS.
4.) Anita looks so much like Keith. Those two belong together. Keith shold drop Patti and resume his life with Anita.

ha...i agree with 1, part of 2, part of 3 & 5.

- Jake Weber (blonde kid...current adult actor) said there was JD everywhere. Even though
he was just a kid..he (to me) has credibility.

- Jack White...probably overrated...but I guess you didn't see the SHINE A LIGHT concert flick. He was in it.

- I could not stand to watch the celeb interviews.

- hey..Patti didn't do anything wrong.

- yes...Anita was obviously unfit, in fact i think it's been documented that Keith's mom
raised Marlon & Dandelion the first year or so due to her drug use. Also read that she'd
plan to abort the kids but never got around to it. (correct me if i'm wrong...that was the case
for Dandelion...not sure about Marlon). However...Keith (while sober) always seemed to be
a doting father.

I'd give it a C.

To me, no matter how others try to make it sound so magical....by the Stones own statements....
....it's all myth...and they stumbled upon a super album. Sure the circumstances probably had some
influence....but, other then Keith they all seemed to think the Nellcote experience was hell.....hot, humid, drug
pushers, hangers-on, not conducive to recording.....hours & hours of driving to Keith's house etc.....

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-26 16:38 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 18:07

I picked up my copy of the DVD for $9.99 at Newbury Comics (regional Northeast, U.S. record store). Actually because I am on their mailing list, I received a $2.00 discount. After watching the entire piece, I believe I paid a fair value for it . . .

For me, its another missed opportunity to show the masses the magic that was the Rolling Stones. I enjoyed the audio and video/film footage of the band and the photography stills, and the members interviews. But what overshadowed that pleasure was the inane interviews and fabricated "filler" of the Stones at Nellcote.

First, the inane interviews. My god why? Why have comments from people like the Black Eyed Peas guy. Why? To show that the album crossed culturely? His comment that the album showed him that the Stones were not just "one" thing, but "much more" was belittling and degrading of the Stones. This guy doesn't know the depth of their music. Its not his fault, its the producer/director's fault. Same with the Kings of Leon guy, why? The comment, "it was recorded in France?" Is it to show that some people don't know? To show that it was so "southern sounding"? I dont get that. Jack White? Good guy, good musician, but talking Exile? Garbage. Why not have the Stones peers talk about the album. How about rock journalists talk about the album. The celeb interviews are garbage. I can understand Don Was, he's in the biz and mostly insightful . . . but alas, a missed opportunity for a long-lasting piece of rock art.

The fabricated footage is unforgiveable! It completely turned the documentary into a low budget, trivial, VH1/MTV television show. Why not show photos of the band or more video/film during those sequences. Is the audience so unimaginative that it cannot possibly grasp the condition at Nellcote without a fabricated visual. This is not art. Its 2010 television, low-budget, lowest common denominator garbage.

The wrong date of the press conference, is sheer baffoonery! Unforgiveable for a official release.

I'll watch it again at some point. I'm a bit depressed about this release. Cannot wait until Ladies and Gentleman is officially released.

P.S. I beleive there were 2 photos with Grahm Parsons shown. I don't think i heard his name once!???!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-26 18:26 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 26, 2010 20:22

This mess of a DvD was not made,I hope, for anyone on this board. Most of it was insulting to us . Ok for 20 year olds and 30 year olds who need vague points of reference ....to what I dont know.

Will. I. Am? What does he have to do with rock and roll except for a couple of fairly cool remixes.

Why didnt they have their competoraries? Beacuase the Stones do not care! Wake up people! They are in their 70s and MJ supposedly doesnt care about the past so like, what;s the point. Did any of us really believe that someone was walking around with a camera filming Nellcote? I would think we would have heard about that.

someone posted a question the other day wondering why Bill Wyman says he doesnt care what the Stones do..............now we know why!Its because this is what they have been reduced to!

All in all....I will be selling mine along with the un-remastered Exile at a yard sale!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 27, 2010 02:52

NorthShoreBlues2
Cannot wait until Ladies and Gentleman is officially released.

There doesn't seem to be any way they can possibly screw that one up .... but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:18

Agree with all the comments about the interviews (though I enjoyed a few) and the fake Nellcote footage (especially insulting). Instead of fake footage they could have used more from C*sckr Blues and more live footage, as well as still shots. The little bit of studio chatter was fascinating, would have loved more of that. More band commentary would have been far superior to inane guy from KoL who made the same point over and over again. I really hated when Mick said "recording studio stories, bloody boring!" at the end, like he could not even maintain interest long enough to get through the segment. I absolutely LOVE that Bill is still outraged that he drove all the way to Nellcote and Keith couldn't be bothered to come downstairs. Now, THAT'S a part of the Exile "myth" that doesn't fit so well with the whole "I lived on top of the factory" bit. Nothing could ruin this album for me, but I would have really enjoyed some intelligent musical commentary on the tracks and the playing. A real lost opportunity.

Reminds me of years ago when the film maker Ken Burns (talk about overrated) made his "Baseball" film. Instead of putting some of these great players in the movie to talk about these magical and historic moments, he had a bunch of intellectuals like Doris Kearns Goodwin and Stephen Jay Gould pontificate for 90% of the time, and even recycled the exact same people he used as commentators for his "Civil War" series! If Ken Burns made a movie of the history of the Rolling Stones, he would have hours of Doris Kearns Goodwin talking about what the Rolling Stones meant to her. But I digress...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-27 03:27 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:19

tatters
NorthShoreBlues2

There doesn't seem to be any way they can possibly screw that one up .... but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Mj will probably over dub hhis vocals on happy

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:28

Cafaro
tatters
NorthShoreBlues2

MJ will probably over dub his vocals on Happy

Are you kidding? He's probably on a sound stage right now, in front of the cameras and a giant "green screen", re-filming his entire performance.

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: June 27, 2010 19:16

Well, I am glad others here are equally if not more disappointed in the video than I was. A sign that there are signs of intelligent life on this board. I guess the good thing is that this cost only 12.00 or so but I will not watch it often becuase it just isn't that good. I couldn't even finsh the extras because they were just so boring. I did appreciate some of the until now unreleased footage from CS blues. Should have had much more of that.

Forgive me if I didn't know who Jack White is. Still not sure who he is. I did not watch Shine a light becuase the Stones are just a travesty of themselves nowadays. They are too old and should have quit 30 years ago. They are like one of those long running Vegas strip shows. Kind of like Cirque de Soleil. .

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 27, 2010 20:05

Cafaro
tatters
NorthShoreBlues2

Mj will probably over dub hhis vocals on happy

ha! (you're on a roll)

actually Mick is probably deleting his vocals...he & keith haven't sung HAPPY together
in decades.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-27 20:18 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 27, 2010 20:15

Here´s Jake together with co-star Patricia Arquette from the tv-series Medium.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: June 27, 2010 20:26

^ Yes. And?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2010 20:56

What a freakin' whinefest this thread is.

I'm tempted to cut up an assortment of cheeses and serve it up to the lot of you, as it might go well with the varieties of red and whites you people are coming up with.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 27, 2010 21:44

Bimmelzerbott
^ Yes. And?

Well, someone here might be interested of knowing what Jake weber looks like, since he´s in the Exile docu.
You´re obviously not one of them. Too much negativity in here these days.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:04

4.) Anita looks so much like Keith. Those two belong together. Keith shold drop Patti and resume his life with Anita

Let's see...Patti or Anita? It's good to see Keith still has common sense!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:19

well, from a straight biological point of view. it is better to be with someone who is not very much like you but as different as possible.

i thought that was common sense too.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:25

I haven't seen it yet. THere's re-creations in it? For real?? As in dramatic re-creations like 'Unsolved Mysteries' where they re-create UFO abductions? LOL! Are actors playing people lying around drinking and drugging up? Sounds like myth-making cheese like that horrible Brian Jones movie.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:52

stoneswashed77
well, from a straight biological point of view. it is better to be with someone who is not very much like you but as different as possible.

i thought that was common sense too.

From a straight biological point of view you should´ve told Mick about your
sensational theory...

Posted by: tumbling phil ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:58

I just found it boring !!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 2, 2010 10:34

I watched the DVD 2 days ago - and allthough I can see why people wouldn't rate it highly as a *movie*. Fake Nelcote footage and MTV-style clipping at times, didn't seem right.

BUT - I must say I loved seeing it - some 1972 footage which I'd never seen; some snippets of takes/jams I've never heard - and excellent interviews; especially Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.....good to hear their voices. Then again, I expected the worst, after reading this thread.
Should there had been more real outtake footage from L&G, and more interviews taken from TV in the early 70s? Yes - that would be nice. But I take what I can get.

The only thing I found "boring" was the bonus interviews with those guys and girls whom didn't have that much to say. Don Was comments about working with the vault-material was an exception though.

The DVD was well spent money for me, I gotta say. If my expectations were much higher, I'd view it different though. Good thing that the entire band showed up for the interviews, even the ex-members, and Anita. One wouldn't think they'd do so....at least I did not.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2010 10:39

The only thing I found "boring" was the bonus interviews with those guys and girls whom didn't have that much to say. Don Was comments about working with the vault-material was an exception though

YEAH shoulda given us 90 mins of Don Was and dumped all them other talking zzzzz heads.......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 2, 2010 11:21

Yes indeed Rockman
They shouldn't have saved that longer Don Was interview - the viewer might be asleep by then.

Those other *stars*....it was a very bad idea to include them in the movie - even as bonus material. Reminded me of "camp-fire-talk" by some locals - something others are not interested in.
Especially that Will.i.am guy.....it was embarrasing - I doubt the guy have ever even listened to Exile On Main Street! He couldn't make any comments on his favourite song, or any musical topic. Think he only carried the album in his rucksack, for a week, in 1994 - to be *cool* - and that was it.
I guess the movie-makers needed some *fresh names* to make the DVD sell more; to people who aren't interested in Rolling Stones anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 2, 2010 15:14

71Tele
Agree with all the comments about the interviews (though I enjoyed a few) and the fake Nellcote footage (especially insulting). Instead of fake footage they could have used more from C*sckr Blues and more live footage, as well as still shots. The little bit of studio chatter was fascinating, would have loved more of that. More band commentary would have been far superior to inane guy from KoL who made the same point over and over again. I really hated when Mick said "recording studio stories, bloody boring!" at the end, like he could not even maintain interest long enough to get through the segment. I absolutely LOVE that Bill is still outraged that he drove all the way to Nellcote and Keith couldn't be bothered to come downstairs. Now, THAT'S a part of the Exile "myth" that doesn't fit so well with the whole "I lived on top of the factory" bit. Nothing could ruin this album for me, but I would have really enjoyed some intelligent musical commentary on the tracks and the playing. A real lost opportunity.

Reminds me of years ago when the film maker Ken Burns (talk about overrated) made his "Baseball" film. Instead of putting some of these great players in the movie to talk about these magical and historic moments, he had a bunch of intellectuals like Doris Kearns Goodwin and Stephen Jay Gould pontificate for 90% of the time, and even recycled the exact same people he used as commentators for his "Civil War" series! If Ken Burns made a movie of the history of the Rolling Stones, he would have hours of Doris Kearns Goodwin talking about what the Rolling Stones meant to her. But I digress...
you cannot compare Doris Kearns Goodwin (historian) to will i am (idiot).did you see the butcher job that will i am did to gimmie shelter with mick jagger and U2 at the rock and roll hall of fame just a few months back (hbo has been showing this a lot)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-02 17:31 by The Greek.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 2, 2010 15:17

i liked the one hour feature ,i wish there was more .the fan interview segment sucked with the exception of sheryl crow,liz phair,don was and martin scorece.i cant wait for ladies and gentelman to come out this fall .does anybody know in addition to the dvd will the stones release ladies and gentelman on cd also ?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 2, 2010 16:25

stonesseventytwo

Things that stood out:

The very minor mistake of getting the date wrong does not sully what is an interesting and enjoyable documentary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home