Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Favorite Indian cuisine...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:34

My wife and I are huge fans of Indian (India) cuisine. After having a terrific Indian meal tonight, I was just wondering what some of your favorite dishes are, and perhaps I might see something I haven't tried yet. BTW, the best one Indian restaurant we ever eat at was in London (right after the 1999 Wembley show) in West Hampstead. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. We're in San Francisco, but if you know some good restaurants in other cities, give the names.

Re: OT: Favorite Indian cuisine...
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 20, 2010 12:04

Prawn vindaloo.
A great restaurant is the SHAMA in Bingley.West Yorkshire,UK.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 20, 2010 14:45

...or the Mumtaz in Bradford...take your pick off the menu and oyu will find they are all excellent!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 20, 2010 16:47

Hard choice.

But i'm rather fond of Garlic Chicken Rezza with garlic fried rice and chilli nann

Or a classic Chicken Madras

And ten pints of lager

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: June 20, 2010 21:18

Palak Paneer, with an order of Rogan Josh if you're not vegetarian (and if you have plenty of room in your stomach).

BTW, there was a very decent Indian restaurant a few blocks from the Pyramid in San Francisco last time I was there. It's near the huge and famous bookstore.

Good luck!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 20, 2010 21:27

the Mrs loves a good Ruby - me, not so much.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 20, 2010 21:54

The problem with 99% of Indian restaurants is that they serve food for the western palate and bears screw all resemblance to what traditional Indian food actually is. I therefore only visit restaurants that serve authentic Indian sub continent food...or cook my own at home....Tarkha Dhal being a favourite.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 20, 2010 22:50

Chicken Tarka. It's like Chicken Tikka but a little otter!!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 20, 2010 22:55

Indian Girl(s)

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:38

tomk, scaffer or anyone else in the Bay area... I'm flying out there on Tuesday, and would LOVE to eat at a killer Indian restaurant, if you have one to recommend. Where I live in Maine, most of the Indian restaurants are very similar to each other, probably serving what NickB complains of. In the town of Brunswick, there is a place called Shere Punjab that is quite unique... but still not as good as some of the places I've been to in bigger cities.

My favorite dish to date is Jalfrezi, but I especially love fresh and properly made samosas. I absolutely love Indian food, Americanized and otherwise. Great OT topic! smiling smiley

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:46

I always enjoy chicken jalfrezi with pilau rice and a garlic naan.

I love to devour somosa and bhajees and popadum with onion salad and mint sauce.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 21, 2010 08:33

Tate
tomk, scaffer or anyone else in the Bay area... I'm flying out there on Tuesday, and would LOVE to eat at a killer Indian restaurant, if you have one to recommend. Where I live in Maine, most of the Indian restaurants are very similar to each other, probably serving what NickB complains of. In the town of Brunswick, there is a place called Shere Punjab that is quite unique... but still not as good as some of the places I've been to in bigger cities.

My favorite dish to date is Jalfrezi, but I especially love fresh and properly made samosas. I absolutely love Indian food, Americanized and otherwise. Great OT topic! smiling smiley

Here in the city, I really like Masala (9th Ave and Lincoln Way) and India Oven (on Fillmore of of Haight). There's another one downtown near Union Square called Little Delhi that insn't too bad. THere's a couple other ones I like, too, but I just can't remember the names. My wife likes one called Naan and Curry (I think there's a few of them, but I wasn't too keen). Look on Yelp for other reviews.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 21, 2010 09:23

tomk
Tate

Here in the city, I really like Masala (9th Ave and Lincoln Way) and India Oven (on Fillmore of of Haight). There's another one downtown near Union Square called Little Delhi that insn't too bad. THere's a couple other ones I like, too, but I just can't remember the names. My wife likes one called Naan and Curry (I think there's a few of them, but I wasn't too keen). Look on Yelp for other reviews.

I'm a big fan of Roghan Josh w/onion kulcha.

TomK and Tate - I've been away from iorr for a while because I just moved to San Francisco from Maine! I'm in Russian Hill for my first month - probably eventually move to the Mission.

Tate, you may already know this place, but imho Passage To India - 29 Wharf St tucked away on that cobblestone pedestrian walkway off Commercial St - is the best Indian in Portland (Maine).

TomK thanks for the now-local recommendations in SF -- I'm so excited to get to know this city!

Also, Tate, I think you may be talking about an Indian restaurant in North Beach, cuz I'm guessing the famous bookstore you mean City Lights (I took this photo yesterday - tomK if posting these is too close to thread-hijacking let me know and I'll take down!), where the beats hung out. You can search Indian restaurants on Yelp as TomK suggested, and narrow by neighborhood if you want to refind that spot you mentioned.

- swiss

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 21, 2010 09:35

Is Kerouac in that photo?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 21, 2010 11:36

NickB
The problem with 99% of Indian restaurants is that they serve food for the western palate and bears screw all resemblance to what traditional Indian food actually is. I therefore only visit restaurants that serve authentic Indian sub continent food...or cook my own at home....Tarkha Dhal being a favourite.

So very true.

Having visited india a couple of times, the food espiecally when we visited Kerala is out of this world, you will be waiting around 45 minutes for it to arrive but its well worth the wait as everything is freshly cooked.

My favourite is chicken jalfrazzi with bombay aloo.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: June 21, 2010 13:51

- middle front without the beard?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 21, 2010 14:22

NickB

Agree completely. In fact most "Indian" restaurants in the UK are actually Bangladeshi. I quite like southern Indian food and there are a number places in London serving this - the best places are run by Indians for Indians. I recommend the Shayona restaurant just near the Neasdon hindu temple (opposite Ikea and not far from Wembley stadium), and also the Chenai Dosa restaurant in Wembley high street (a pretty casual place more like a café but the food is out of this world) . One of the best southern Indian dishes is the masala dosa - a rice flour pancake filed with spicy potato curry and served with sambar (a kind of lentil soup) and various spicy dips. Sorry, don't know about restaurants in the US, but if you're visiting London then I recommend the above!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-21 14:24 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 21, 2010 15:31

Keema naan (Indian bread stuffed with minced lamb); served with a vegetable soup-like 'dip'. Simple but effective!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: June 21, 2010 16:01

I remember when I lived in Los Angeles there was a really good restaurant just in front NBC studios in Burbank, anyone of you remember the name? and another one very close to San Rafael in San Francisco at the harbour, really good ones!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 24, 2010 23:44

Elmo

Tarka, the otter! Geddit

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 25, 2010 00:30

Elmo

Lol!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:23

Chicken Tika, Dhal, Garlic Naan, butter Naan, mango chutney, mint chutney, and byriani!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:48

We ended up ordering out last night (here in S.F.) from a place called Kasa... had some really nice lamb curry rolled up in a naan, very tasty, very fresh tasting. And I have not tried the place on Wharf St. in Portland, swiss, I will do that when I get back to Maine. I live in Bath, so I am in Portland often.

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:38

I love a decent curry.
Obviously not Indian, but if you have a West Indian restaurant near you, try the curried goat.
Fantastic!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:49

My city is considered the home of the Balti. Not my favourite dish but passable

Last time I was in NYC, I found a pretty good Inidan on East 7th street. I think it was called Brick Lane Curry House

As a bit of an Indian food fantatic i'm happy to report it wasnt half bad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-25 12:50 by andy js.

Date: June 25, 2010 13:39

Hi Andy ....... you're in Bradford?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 25, 2010 14:06

Chicken Tikka Rogan, Keema Rice, Saag Aloo and vegetable somosa

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 25, 2010 17:24

andy js

Last time I was in NYC, I found a pretty good Inidan on East 7th street. I think it was called Brick Lane Curry House

Dude, thats gotta be Birmingham then!

Like a lot of British blokes, I'm partial to going for a ruby at the end of the night with the lads. Can't beat it. typical brit bloke behaviour. but one that I'm not ashamed admitting to!!

Rock on.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 29, 2010 12:00

humanriff77

- middle front without the beard?

Marhsall

humanriff77 & Marshall, could be! I think this photo is from the early '60s and not sure whether Kerouac was still part of the SF scene. I'll ask next time I'm at City Lights - I live pretty closeby these days.

Tate - sounds like you had some yummy Indian - glad you were able to snag take-out. btw...I'm thinking you and my brother may know each other; he works for the Maine Forest Svc smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: June 29, 2010 12:31

Monkeytonkman
andy js

Dude, thats gotta be Birmingham then!

Like a lot of British blokes, I'm partial to going for a ruby at the end of the night with the lads. Can't beat it. typical brit bloke behaviour. but one that I'm not ashamed admitting to!!

Rock on.

Chicken Tikka Masala invented in Birmingham in the 1980s

Balti dish invented in Bradford

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home