Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Your favourite Rockmovie
Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: June 21, 2010 20:17

The Phantom gets my vote!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 21, 2010 20:19

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
Gazza
Dont Look Back

Ditto that - can not be matched, IMO

rock'n'roll? the bass and drums are way too low in the mix on my copy....

Should we call it a protest-movie? Or folk-movie? Song-and-dance-movie? Ask Dylan, Tod

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 21, 2010 20:19

It sure is! Here's a trailer...

[www.itusozluk.com]

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 21, 2010 20:25

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
Gazza
Dont Look Back

Ditto that - can not be matched, IMO

rock'n'roll? the bass and drums are way too low in the mix on my copy....

Should we call it a protest-movie? Or folk-movie? Song-and-dance-movie? Ask Dylan, Tod

well, i think just a remix to bring the bass and drums up a bit would be acceptable...

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: June 21, 2010 21:03

Concert For Bangla Desh

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 21, 2010 21:03

apart from the ones already mentioned, there's also this one, which is fantastic:

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 22, 2010 02:19

>Still Crazy is another one to check out.

I don't know that but it reminds me of one I haven't seen in many years: GET CRAZY. Lou Reed is in it (he performs a great song titled "Little Sister", *not* the same "Little Sister" he gave to Nico), and Malcolm McDowell does a very funny Mick imitation.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 22, 2010 02:34

"Elvis: That's The Way It Is" is a great film.

Whenever someone raves about The Last Waltz, I think of the story in 1962 when President Kennedy welcomed 49 Nobel Prize winners to the White House and said, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

Elvis is kind of like Jefferson, because in this film he alone covers the same wide range of American music styles that it takes a truckload of greats to do in The Last Waltz!!

Well, OK, he does it with a killer band featuring Burton, etc., but you get the idea.

When they put out the recut version of this film a few years back, I was lucky to attend one of the two theatrical screenings, and afterwards met Mark James, who wrote "Suspicious Minds." Got to shake the hand that shook the hand.. of The King.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 22, 2010 12:52

Hail Hail Rock n Roll
Crossroads

and of course Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:22

The Devils Rejects. Great music on this shock/horror film!

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:28

Gotta say, "The Last Waltz."

Runner-ups- Gimme Shelter, Woodstock, Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Rockandosis ()
Date: June 23, 2010 05:11

Great! Colonia is great! i´m in Rocha City!
The Howlin Wolf & Little Walter perfomances in Cadillac Records are greats!
I´m a harmonica player in a rythm & blues band in Uruguay! why I liked the movie!
The name of my band is "ROCKANDOSIS" !!!! We have a first Disc on the road ("Nocturna"-2008) and now we get the second disc!
You can listen in www.myspace.com/rockandosisoficial
You'll see our passion for the Stones!winking smiley
Cheers!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 23, 2010 08:25

Rockandosis
Great! Colonia is great! i´m in Rocha City!
The Howlin Wolf & Little Walter perfomances in Cadillac Records are greats!
I´m a harmonica player in a rythm & blues band in Uruguay! why I liked the movie!
The name of my band is "ROCKANDOSIS" !!!! We have a first Disc on the road ("Nocturna"-2008) and now we get the second disc!
You can listen in www.myspace.com/rockandosisoficial
You'll see our passion for the Stones!winking smiley
Cheers!

Good for you. I cannot say enough good things about the nation and people of Uruguay, so there's a plug for you. I love the idea of people there digging Wolf, Little Walter and the Stones. Good job in the World Cup too.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 23, 2010 09:51

When I was a kid, I must have seen Phantom Of The Paradise about 30 times.
One Saturday, I sat through three straight showings.

Another film I saw only once but remember it being pretty good was Stardust with David Essex and Keith Moon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2010 09:54

Apocalypse Now .... it's a rock-n-roll movie ain't it....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 23, 2010 11:52

Rockman
Apocalypse Now .... it's a rock-n-roll movie ain't it....

Rockman, I think you nailed it. Best rock'n'roll movie ever!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 24, 2010 02:20

71Tele
Rockandosis
*The Doors by Oliver Stone
*The Last Waltz
*Cadillac Records
*Ladies & Gentleman

Cheers from Uruguay!
Always in Iorr!smoking smiley

I love Uruguay, especially Colonia de Sacramento...

You really thought Cadillac Records was good? They completely erased Phil Chess, made a phony romance between Leonard Chess and Etta James and made cartoon characters of most of the others (ok, the guy who played Howlin' Wolf was pretty good). I was very interested in the subject matter (Chess Records) but was extremely disappointed by this film.

I felt the same way, it just played like a mediocre TV movie to me. And based on what I've read, it wasn't very accurate. Kind of like the movie equivalent of Robert Greenfield's Season In Hell, too many head shaking moments where I thought I don't think that's quite how it went down.

Some of my faves other than the Stones':

End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones
New York Doll
X: The Unheard Music
Mayor Of The Sunset Strip
The Kids Are Alright
Let There Be Rock
Elvis: That's The Way It Is
Let It Be
Rock N'Roll High School
Dig

And two guilty pleasures:

The Decline Of Western Civilization: The Metal Years
The Scorpions: World Wide Live

I'm not even that into Hair/80's metal, but find these last two sooo entertaining to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 02:54 by bustedtrousers.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 24, 2010 02:32

Gimme Shelter

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2010 07:53

I'm thinking "Kissing Cousins", "Harum Scarum", or "Clambake"..."Double Trouble" has to be up there as well...anyone for "Girl Happy"?

Oh sorry, is this the worst Rockmovie thread?

If it is 'favourite', has anyone said "Charlie is My Darling", yet?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 24, 2010 14:43

Julien Temple's homage to Dr Feelgood, 'Oil City Confidential', is a stunning movie. I can't wait for the DVD release.

Here's the trailer if you weren't dortunate enough to see it at the cinema, or catch it's recent showing on BBC4

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 24, 2010 14:57

Blues Broters
R'n'R High School

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 24, 2010 17:10

Adrian-L
Julien Temple's homage to Dr Feelgood, 'Oil City Confidential', is a stunning movie. I can't wait for the DVD release.

Here's the trailer if you weren't dortunate enough to see it at the cinema, or catch it's recent showing on BBC4

That looks good!

Love the Feelgoods...Was lucky enough to see them twice. Like Graham Parker, they didn't catch on in America, and then when punk happened a year later they were suddenly old hat.

But their album Stupidity is one of the best live sets ever. I can't wait to see this movie.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 24, 2010 18:45

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

!!!!

Can't believe this BEE GEES classic hasn't topped everyone's list so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-24 22:29 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 24, 2010 19:14

hello!!!! RUST NEVER SLEEPS, neil young. best rock movie evah! what's with youse people? plus, universal reissued STONES AT THE MAX. picturewise it's a beautiful film and it totally works in IMAX, sympathy being a highlight. of course who can argue with ten story keith? no one that's who.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 24, 2010 20:08

Very glad to hear that STONES AT THE MAX has been reissued, that's news to me. Saw it at the IMAX about 10 years ago, would love to see it again.

Here's a few more music dvds that I really like, that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Gram Parsons; Fallen Angel
Small Faces - All or Nothing

The 'Classic Album - The Making of ..." dvds are really good too. I've got the ones on Cream - Direali Gears, Motorhead - Ace of Spades, the Who - Who's Next, & Hendrix -Electric Ladyland. They are all EXCELLENT!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 25, 2010 11:04

Keefan
Very glad to hear that STONES AT THE MAX has been reissued, that's news to me. Saw it at the IMAX about 10 years ago, would love to see it again.

Here's a few more music dvds that I really like, that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

The 'Classic Album - The Making of ..." dvds are really good too. I've got the ones on Cream - Direali Gears, Motorhead - Ace of Spades, the Who - Who's Next, & Hendrix -Electric Ladyland. They are all EXCELLENT!

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is excellent, and a bit sad too, they were not treated right in the long run by Berry Gordy. Another similar good one is The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians from LA. It was made by one of the musician's sons, guitarist Tommy Tedesco's. It's finished and everything but never released officially, at least on DVD, but copies can be found, like with the MC5's a True Testimonial (also quite good).

Fallen Angel is very good too.

And I must have missed it somewhere on here, but has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry's Hail Hail? Surely someone did, I just don't feel like looking back for it right now. I can't believe I couldn't remember it when I made up my list.

I like the Classic Albums too, the Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks is one of my favorites, along with Who's Next. The footage of Townshend showing how he got the synth sound on Won't Get Fooled is worth it alone.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 25, 2010 17:40

The Kids Are Alright

And a couple not mentioned:

Quadrophenia
The Wall

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 25, 2010 19:01

bustedtrousers
Keefan

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is excellent, and a bit sad too, they were not treated right in the long run by Berry Gordy. Another similar good one is The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians from LA. It was made by one of the musician's sons, guitarist Tommy Tedesco's. It's finished and everything but never released officially, at least on DVD, but copies can be found, like with the MC5's a True Testimonial (also quite good).

Fallen Angel is very good too.

And I must have missed it somewhere on here, but has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry's Hail Hail? Surely someone did, I just don't feel like looking back for it right now. I can't believe I couldn't remember it when I made up my list.

I like the Classic Albums too, the Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks is one of my favorites, along with Who's Next. The footage of Townshend showing how he got the synth sound on Won't Get Fooled is worth it alone.

I've heard of the Wrecking Crew, but was not aware of the movie. I've always liked Tommy Tedesco, I will try to find a copy.

And I wasn't aware that they did a Classic Album dvd of Never Mind the Bullocks - I will definitely order a copy today! That album is one of my all time faves- I first bought it on 8 track over 30 years ago.

Thanks very much for the info!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 25, 2010 23:54

oh baby....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 26, 2010 00:08

The Commitments.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home