Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Steve Miller - new album/interview
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 4, 2010 21:09

Best idea I've heard today!!! You twisted my arm...LOL

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 4, 2010 22:12

Miller v. Bonamassa- Bonamassa knocks out Miller, round 1, 5 seconds into the challenge.

Miller v. Guy- Guy knocks out Miller in round #1, 4 seconds into the round.

Miller v. Clapton- Miller stays home with blister on toe. Clapton wins by default.

Miller v. Cray- Cray TKO's Miller in round #2.

Miller v. Mick Taylor- Miller runs from match and jumps into taxi as Taylor enter ring. Taylor victorious. True story.

Should I keep going?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 4, 2010 22:20

guitar playing is a competitive sport now, is it?

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 4, 2010 23:48

scottkeef
Well, I've always been a big fan of Steve's. And "The Joker" was on the AM radio the first morning I smoked REALLY good pot right before first period math class in my sophmore yr of High School (GREAT pot BAD idea!!!). Also even tho he wasnt born in TExas he came outta the 60s Dallas music scene which made me call him an honorary Texan BUT I just now saw a video of Steve playing a"Joker" duet with KENNY CHESNEY!!! Now that makes me wanna puke. How many of these great old R n R cats will "whore" themselves like this??!! I mean even our heros have performed with some friggin lame brain American Idol wannabe pukes!! This just ruined my entire 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree completely. What gets me about Steve's comments, which I actually think are pretty accurate, is that he says Jack White, Joe Bonoma-what's his name, and whoever else, are derivative/boring/unoriginal copycats/whatever, while he puts out a cheesefest like Live In Chicago. That clip of Jet Airliner is horrid. Sure the playing is good, but the performance is just corny, embarrassing to watch.

At least Joe and Jack are making the music they want, and didn't leave behind their "blues" roots for AOR product in order to make it, like Steve did. The guy who did Abracadabra thinks Jack White makes horrible records? Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Steve's music, and loved it- back then. But if I hear Take The Money And Run one more time, my head is going to explode.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 5, 2010 02:34

Based on reviews I've read, it's obvious he doesn't give a f--- anymore because all the reviews have said it's a huge waste of time and have wondered why he bothered since it sucks. If doing things in a ass sucking shit ass way is his way of not giving a f--- then good for him.

What a bore.

Date: July 5, 2010 02:42

Well said. It's not that he's bad these days, just boring. Which is what makes his comments, however accurate they may or may not be, a bit hypocritical.

Date: July 5, 2010 02:43

Ha ha. Right. I don't care at all. But I did read a review of the album recently and it was reviewed as "Why did this guy even BOTHER????!!!!" essentially. What, because he can? Goddamn, that doesn't mean release it!

Then again, the Stones released Dirty Work so...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 5, 2010 03:03

Midnight Toker
Miller v. Bonamassa- Bonamassa knocks out Miller, round 1, 5 seconds into the challenge.

Miller v. Guy- Guy knocks out Miller in round #1, 4 seconds into the round.

Miller v. Clapton- Miller stays home with blister on toe. Clapton wins by default.

Miller v. Cray- Cray TKO's Miller in round #2.

Miller v. Mick Taylor- Miller runs from match and jumps into taxi as Taylor enter ring. Taylor victorious. True story.

Should I keep going?

Pretty funny Toker. Good analogy. I wouldn't give Miller 5 sec with JB. Too long. Maybe .5 sec. Miller is bitter for some reason.

Date: July 7, 2010 19:28

skipstone
Ha ha. Right. I don't care at all. But I did read a review of the album recently and it was reviewed as "Why did this guy even BOTHER????!!!!" essentially. What, because he can? Goddamn, that doesn't mean release it!

listen to the album before you judge it based on someone's review, skip. one of the best blooze albums of the year so far, far as i'm concerned.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 7, 2010 21:22

i think there was an interview (earlier in the thread) where he said he was going to be choosier
about the venues he plays....he mentioned acoustics etc..

well...around these parts, he's playing at the Wisconsin State Fair
on a stage set up on a race track (the Milwaukee Mile)...and last summer
he played at a county fair just northwest of Milwaukee...which is basically a
concrete stage set up in a very rural area........but the acoustics bouncing
off the barns & cows was awesome. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2010 23:50

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2010 05:02

Apparently, based on this thread, there is a comparison/challenge amongst rock/blues guitarists. I may not be Hendrix, but I can play every one of his songs note for note. I am no expert, but I do have an opinion as a guitar player, for whatever it is worth.

Miller v. Jimmy Page- Miller stays home with a cold.

Miller v. Brian May- May wins Round 1 KO.

Miller v. Mark Knopfler- Miller collides his car into a tree on the way to duel. His Hummer goes into repair shop and now he is driving a rented Chevy Impala. Win to Knopfler.

Miller v. Alex Lifeson- Lifeson TKO Round 2.

Miller v. Don Felder- Miller again collides rental car into cement pillar and does not show up for duel. Felder wins.

Miller v.Joan Jett- Miller wins in controversial split decision.

There ya go. Miller wins one.

Date: July 8, 2010 05:13

Midnight Toker
I am no expert, but I do have an opinion as a guitar player, for whatever it is worth.

it's worth the same as anyone's, whether they play or not.

Date: July 8, 2010 05:33

Stones Tod-Indeed, we all have an opinion, although the person voicing the opinion may or may not have a clue as to what he or she may be talking about.

I have also noticed that the skies over London in mid January are bright blue and that there is no fog anywhere to be found. I need a tan and will be in in the UK this winter.

I'll buy you a Hot Toddy (no pun intended) shall we run into one another on the beach in Cardiff.

Date: July 8, 2010 05:58

StonesTod
skipstone

listen to the album before you judge it based on someone's review, skip. one of the best blooze albums of the year so far, far as i'm concerned.

I haven't heard the album either, but I got all I needed from the clip Rockman posted. I think it's pretty generic and soulless sounding. It sounds more like the guy who did Fly Like An Eagle decided to do a blues album, and not like a guy who detoured from the blues into Fly Like An Eagle decided to get back to his roots.

I don't think it's all Steve's fault, 99.9% of all music today has that generic, soulless, slick sound. Dull arrangements, the true nature of the instruments rarely comes across in recordings anymore. There's just no substance to the sound like there used to be.

The blues have never sounded better than they did when it was just a bunch of guys and their instruments, standing around one or two mikes, playing live, in a studio like Chess.

Date: July 8, 2010 15:14

i've been to hundreds of blues shows and seen hundreds of great bluesman and blues guitarists - makes me no expert, just a well-schooled and learned fan. i can honestly say that i've seen or heard very few shows that were as good as the night stevie guitar miller and his blues band blew away the crowd at the fillmore that night in the mid nineties (1996, i believe). his middle name ain't 'guitar' fer nuthin'.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 8, 2010 15:46

i have seen steve miller a bunch of times the last twenty years and he puts on one of the finest shows money can buy .real tight band and he delivers the goods .the new guitar player issue has miller on the cover (no small feat itself).have not read the interview yet .this guy is that good !!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 8, 2010 17:26

From what I've heard, it's blooze indeed - as in booorrrrrrrrinnnnngggg. Sounds like ZZ Top on Quaaludes.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 8, 2010 17:30

StonesTod
i've been to hundreds of blues shows and seen hundreds of great bluesman and blues guitarists - makes me no expert, just a well-schooled and learned fan. i can honestly say that i've seen or heard very few shows that were as good as the night stevie guitar miller and his blues band blew away the crowd at the fillmore that night in the mid nineties (1996, i believe). his middle name ain't 'guitar' fer nuthin'.
He also did a pretty damn good show at the fillmore about a year or so ago. Still put's on a great show.

Date: July 8, 2010 17:44

sweetcharmedlife
StonesTod
He also did a pretty damn good show at the fillmore about a year or so ago. Still put's on a great show.

caught him 2 years ago with cocker in concord. great stuff, great bloozey guitar...if this is boring, please bore me to death....

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home