Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Steve Miller - new album/interview
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 18, 2010 07:56

sweet neo con
Rockman

Classic Rock ............ July 2010

Thanks Rockman for providing more evidence of his arrogance.
Heck..he might be correct (knows way more than me) but he rubs me the
wrong way sometimes. I like much of his music...but as i said...maybe Abracadabra should
have remained an instrumental. ;-)

He is SO right about Muddy and Wolf compared to guys like Buddy Guy. Someone needed to say it.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 18, 2010 09:48

I agree Buddy Guy is small in stature as a Bluesman compared to Muddy and the Wolf and others from the previous generation, but as a guitar player he can stand next to anyone in any genre

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 18, 2010 10:57

Rockman

Classic Rock ............ July 2010

Can't wait, already got my tix for Stevie boy at the RAH 7th October

[www.royalalberthall.com]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:05

Got my copy of BINGO! this morning. After the first listen, I've to say: What a superb album! Seems to be his ginest effort for decades!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2010 15:56

Gangster-of-love
Got my copy of BINGO! this morning. After the first listen, I've to say: What a superb album! Seems to be his ginest effort for decades!

i got more of a vodka-esque flavor from it, but to each his own....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 19, 2010 16:17

I always thought Buddy Guy was WAY overrated but thats just me. Would rather hear Hubert Sumlin even if he is in his eighties! People like Magic Sam and Johnny 'Guitar" Watson should be held in higher regard but they're not (except for people who know!!)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2010 19:13

scottkeef
I always thought Buddy Guy was WAY overrated but thats just me. Would rather hear Hubert Sumlin even if he is in his eighties! People like Magic Sam and Johnny 'Guitar" Watson should be held in higher regard but they're not (except for people who know!!)

It's not just you...Guy gets a lot of cred for happening to be one of the last of his generation of bluesmen still alive, but he is not in the same league as Muddy, Wolf, Sumlin, Dixon, etc.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 19, 2010 20:52

Now he's putting down JB? What an idiot.

Date: June 19, 2010 20:56

More Hot Rocks

jb who?

Date: June 19, 2010 21:13

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

jb who? bonnamassa? he said he likes him.

Date: June 19, 2010 22:39

I'm just saying Tod that Miller seams to critisize other guitarist more than he praises them.

Date: June 19, 2010 22:41

More Hot Rocks
I'm just saying Tod that Miller seams to critisize other guitarist more than he praises them.

i don't read it that way - i think he's making valid points about them, while saying he likes them. and i don't see him gloating about his own guitar prowess, either...the guy's cool....

Date: June 20, 2010 12:12

Lets hear it for Norton Buffalo who played with Steve Miller for some 32 years and who tragically passed away aged 58 last October. WHAT an astonishing harp player. I am so looking forward to seeing the Steve Miller band in October here in London, sadly the lineup won't include the late great Norton Buffalo.

Date: June 20, 2010 19:16

StonesTod
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

Yeah he likes him after he puts everybody down. I'll never forget the time he brought his Strat to a Les paul tribute concert. The only guy there with a Fender. I'm just P O'd on his remark about Joe B. This guy is the one of the best and Miller is just jealous.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 20, 2010 19:17

paulywaul
Lets hear it for Norton Buffalo who played with Steve Miller for some 32 years and who tragically passed away aged 58 last October. WHAT an astonishing harp player. I am so looking forward to seeing the Steve Miller band in October here in London, sadly the lineup won't include the late great Norton Buffalo.

Very nice clip Pauly. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: June 20, 2010 19:34

I remember that article,More Hot Rocks!

I can't believe how cocky this guy is! Does Steve think he's better then everyone? Now Joe Bonamassa isn't good enough for him? Come on! Bonamassa is AMAZING!

And to call Buddy Guy a Pretender... What???

Steve Miller you wont ever reach that 3000 feet tall thing either! Just remember that!

Maybe that is why you have play in crappy clubs in Europe, cause you can't be nice, and you don't deserve anything nicer! (Ever here of Karma Steve?)
You put down your peers! Come on Steve what qualifies you to be so arrogant? I don't know of any REAL smokin', ass kickin', blues tunes you've belted out.
Take the Money and Run...no blues, Abracadabra! YIKES! Talk about crap!

Listen, I'll give it to Steve, he's a good guitarist, and he should have the recognition for his contribution to Rock N Roll, but I have no Respect for him at all as an artist. Simply cause he doesn't deserve it.

You Steve Miller are not all that Great!

(But The STONES ARE! So there!)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 20, 2010 19:38

Mickschick

(But The STONES ARE! So there!)
Yeah that'll teach him.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 20, 2010 20:06

More Hot Rocks

Bonamassa? I'm putting him down either. walked out of his show a year or two ago... ;^)

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:15

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

Yeah he likes him after he puts everybody down. I'll never forget the time he brought his Strat to a Les paul tribute concert. The only guy there with a Fender. I'm just P O'd on his remark about Joe B. This guy is the one of the best and Miller is just jealous.

While he could have been more tactful, I think Steve was just trying speak about a lack of a certain indescribable element that a lot of today's players are missing. Players who are praised because they are such incredible musicians, but just don't have what the originals had. In other words, as great a player as Joe Bonamassa is, he ain't no Muddy Waters.

It's to be expected though considering how many generations away from the originators we are. We're listening to copies of copies of copies. Of course that indescribable element that originals always have is going to be watered down.

Those comments are a bit harsh though, especially when you consider they're coming from the guy who went from being The Steve Miller Blues Band to putting out AOR product like Swingtown and Take The Money And Run. When you consider those songs along with his comments, what Steve said could easily be applied to himself. I think he's mostly right, but he needs to look in the mirror.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 21, 2010 00:52

Buddy Guy over rated? Are you kidding me? Segovia was over rated too wasn't he?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2010 01:08

....so was Picasso, Edvin Munch...whatever...wish I had one.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 21, 2010 01:23

StonesTod
Gangster-of-love

i got more of a vodka-esque flavor from it, but to each his own....

I got that, AWESOME!!!
smoking smiley
>grinning smiley<

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 21, 2010 12:25

Roll on 7th October 2010 ... can't wait.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2010 10:02

RECORD COLLECTOR --------------------------------------- July 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2010 10:11

I got Bingo yesterday and yes, unfortunately it is slick blues, perfectly executed but a bit boring. It's the kind of thing that Robert Cray has made a living of doing. Those Capitol classics like Sailor, Number 5 and Recall The Beginning seem like eons ago. Anyone know if they're going to be remastered soon.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 4, 2010 15:40

I've just finished reading this entire thread and I must say that Steve Miller sounds like a cool cat to me. He speaks the truth. No fault in anything that he is saying these days, and all of it is true.

In my humble opinion, he has paid his dues and has every right to do and say anything he wants. He just went up a few notches in my book.

Rock on.

Date: July 4, 2010 17:17

Kurt
I've just finished reading this entire thread and I must say that Steve Miller sounds like a cool cat to me. He speaks the truth. No fault in anything that he is saying these days, and all of it is true.

In my humble opinion, he has paid his dues and has every right to do and say anything he wants. He just went up a few notches in my book.

Rock on.

yer a wise and fine man, mr. kurt.

p.s. - robert cray boring? good heavens...

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: July 4, 2010 18:42

So he lives in Ketchum, Idaho!!!!!

That's where the Greatest literary Rock N' Roller committed suicide...Ernest Hemingway.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 4, 2010 20:41

Well, I've always been a big fan of Steve's. And "The Joker" was on the AM radio the first morning I smoked REALLY good pot right before first period math class in my sophmore yr of High School (GREAT pot BAD idea!!!). Also even tho he wasnt born in TExas he came outta the 60s Dallas music scene which made me call him an honorary Texan BUT I just now saw a video of Steve playing a"Joker" duet with KENNY CHESNEY!!! Now that makes me wanna puke. How many of these great old R n R cats will "whore" themselves like this??!! I mean even our heros have performed with some friggin lame brain American Idol wannabe pukes!! This just ruined my entire 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 4, 2010 20:49

scottkeef
This just ruined my entire 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe you could locate some more of that sophomore/math class stuff to salvage the rest of your day...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home