Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"The T.A.M.I. Show" to Arrive on DVD
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 15, 2009 00:54

[www.theinsider.com]

MUSIC NEWS - Long in our vhs library, one of the rarest / coolest rock events ever captured on film, the 1964 concert known as The T.A.M.I. Show, that featuring performances by the Rolling Stones, James Brown, Chuck Berry, the Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, the Supremes, among others, will be released for the first time on dvd on March 23, 2010 (via Shout! Factory). The T.A.M.I. Show: Collector’s Edition will include new bonus features including new commentary by director Steve Binder, original T.A.M.I Show radio spots, and a 20-page booklet with liner notes and rare photos and memorabilia.

Re: "The T.A.M.I. Show" to Arrive on DVD
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 15, 2009 02:23

Coolthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 15, 2009 03:15

That sounds great! One of the finest early Stones live examples. Wish they could get their hands on the original board tapes and give it a remix without so much of the crowd screaming.(although I dont blame them!)

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: December 15, 2009 04:32

I've been hearing this has been coming out for years
I'll believe it when I see it

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 15, 2009 08:18

Great performance, 'audience control' by Mick etc - show it to somebody who doesn't like the Stones. He/she will be impressed at least.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 15, 2009 09:37

great news, can't wait!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 15, 2009 10:16

Whoopee! I have one of the unofficial DVD versions but a proper one would be wonderful.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: December 15, 2009 11:34

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-10 21:00 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 15, 2009 12:11

If you look at the guitar work in these old videos, Keith is doing all the little blues licks and all the solos, while Brian´s playing simple barre chords through all the songs. I haven´t really thought about that before, it´s sort of strange. Was Brian such a limited guitarist, or was there some other reason for this?

Date: December 15, 2009 12:23

this is playback of the show..(recorded the day before)

641028A 28th October: US radio ( ), Santa Monica.
- interview with BJ by Carson Schreiber
641028B 28th October: Santa Monica, Civic Auditorium, 'Teen Age Music International
(TAMI) Awards Show'.
Recording of all tracks, except the 'Closing Jam' for the playback tape,
used on 29th October.
641029A 29th October: Santa Monica, California, Civic Auditorium, 'TAMI Awards Show'
- Around And Around (Chuck Berry)
- Off The Hook (MJ/KR)
- Time Is On My Side (Jerry Ragavoy)
- It's All Over Now (Bobby and Shirley Womack)
- I'm Alright (Ellas McDaniel)
- Get Together (Closing Jam) -with other competitors of the show.
Note: Electronovision/Screen Entertainment made a movie (at least three different
versions, only one includes the whole Stones-set) of this show. Premiere of the
first version with just one Stones-track ('Time Is On My Side') was on the 14th
November under title 'Teenage Command Performance'.

Date: December 15, 2009 12:33

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-10 21:00 by UrbanSteel.

Date: December 15, 2009 12:40

yawning smiley sorry !

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 15, 2009 15:04

Maybe I am getting old, but whatever you want to call "I'm Alright", it certainly doesn't qualify as music.

Date: December 15, 2009 15:28

The T.A.M.I.-show is rocking!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 15, 2009 17:45

>> this is playback of the show..(recorded the day before) <<

i don't think it is, actually - i know nzentgraf has it that way, but he's the only source i've seen who does.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: December 15, 2009 18:06

Part of it, including the full Stones performance exists on this (region 2) DVD [www.play.com] . Don't know if it is available now, I got this 5 years ago

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 15, 2009 18:09

GeorgV
Part of it, including the full Stones performance exists on this (region 2) DVD [www.play.com] . Don't know if it is available now, I got this 5 years ago

I wanted to check before posting, but I also own this DVD

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 15, 2009 18:12

Thank you for these great great clips..YES ---I'm Alright is music and its GREAT MUSIC.
Fun to see and hear why they were and still are the best of all time!

Date: December 15, 2009 18:30

I guess it depends what your definition of "music" is.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: December 15, 2009 18:46

Most of the parts of the TAMI show (including The Rolling Stones) were released on this DVD 5 years ago :

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 15, 2009 19:43

Watching those clips once again, I need to say that perhaps those are the best captured Rolling Stones live moments ever. The essential Stones.

First of all, the camera-work is so beautiful - the way they go around the guys - especially behind them and show how they work and communicate with the crowd - that's incredible. Compared to great footage in the late-60's-early 70's they usually just concentrate on Mick's face and movements; now all of them - at least three on the front - get quite big share of it - which doesn't make the charisma and role of Jagger any smaller - quite contrary. It might took until Scorcese's movie that the band is treated with such a private contact.

Secondly, the way the band plays! Oh my god what an energy and vitality. It's us 'the five of us against the rest of teh world' -attitude. They work together so well. What a unit! None of them plays with any technical excellence, but everyone does exactly the right thing what is needed to make the whole thing swing! The most naked moment of that unique Rolling Stones philosophy is "I'm Allright"; just listening the beginning of it; Bill and Charlie lay the foundation and the groove, Keith plays the few-note theme, and Brian hits funky nasty barre chords to make funkier.. then Mick screams "Aaaammallrighht"... The whole song is an attack to audience, rawest rock'n'roll ever done ("we just make noise but I'm glad if you call it music" or how Mick once described it). They might have found some artistic heights in the years to go by, and maestros like M. Taylor onboard, but shit, THIS is the Stones as what is truely is all about. Even today, when they try to reduce the band into five-piece-unit, and play like they used to be, this is the actual reference what they think of how they are like, and what makes them unique.

Thirdly, Jagger... this gives an explanation why Mick Jagger was the most charismatic rock star of the 60's. His act hasn't dated one inch... the attitude, the charisma, the arrogance, rawness, naturalness, sexiness... what a performer! (even in the context of his own band: Keith is just an enthuastic boy rocking wild, and Brian tries a bit too much to look cool...). Jagger might have learned some few more tricks along the years to go by, but he never turned out to be more convincing then he is there... in fact, the years seem to treat very tenderly Jagger's early filmed moments (contra some of his later doings).

I could go on, but I shut up instead and watch those clips one more time!!!

RRRROOOOOOOCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-15 19:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 15, 2009 19:45

How much?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 15, 2009 20:03

Doxa really well put...I agree 100% with you.. Looking at Mick back then makes me think how he has really just stayed the same..
And i also agree that it has to be one of the very best clips of the entire band..They just did the best job ever capturing the sprite of each band member and not just Mick...
This is why i love the Stones so much and why this has to be the best line up...Young and raw and exciting. Just before they became the Gods of Rock!

Date: December 15, 2009 20:35

A better title for "I'm Alright" would have been "Let's Just Jump Up and Down and Go Crazy".

Date: December 15, 2009 21:13

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-10 21:01 by UrbanSteel.

Date: December 15, 2009 21:26

The Rolling Stones very rarely played live for filmed performances . . mainly lip synching after Aftermath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-15 21:27 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: December 15, 2009 23:38

The TAMI Show was the most exciting performance (and my own personal favorite) of the original lineup. The whole band was 'on' for this show. Not just musically, but performance wise. What a show! And I agree, the camera work was outstanding throughout the show. The shot from behing during "It's All Over Now" and the way the camera follows Mick along the edge of the stage during "I'm Allright" were great. I thought Mick, Keith and Brian put on a great show. I never get sick of watching this footage.

I've heard someone say this was a playback once before. I completely disagree. This is 100% live.

Rob

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 16, 2009 00:04

Doxa
Watching those clips once again, I need to say that perhaps those are the best captured Rolling Stones live moments ever. The essential Stones.

First of all, the camera-work is so beautiful - the way they go around the guys - especially behind them and show how they work and communicate with the crowd - that's incredible. Compared to great footage in the late-60's-early 70's they usually just concentrate on Mick's face and movements; now all of them - at least three on the front - get quite big share of it - which doesn't make the charisma and role of Jagger any smaller - quite contrary. It might took until Scorcese's movie that the band is treated with such a private contact.

Secondly, the way the band plays! Oh my god what an energy and vitality. It's us 'the five of us against the rest of teh world' -attitude. They work together so well. What a unit! None of them plays with any technical excellence, but everyone does exactly the right thing what is needed to make the whole thing swing! The most naked moment of that unique Rolling Stones philosophy is "I'm Allright"; just listening the beginning of it; Bill and Charlie lay the foundation and the groove, Keith plays the few-note theme, and Brian hits funky nasty barre chords to make funkier.. then Mick screams "Aaaammallrighht"... The whole song is an attack to audience, rawest rock'n'roll ever done ("we just make noise but I'm glad if you call it music" or how Mick once described it). They might have found some artistic heights in the years to go by, and maestros like M. Taylor onboard, but shit, THIS is the Stones as what is truely is all about. Even today, when they try to reduce the band into five-piece-unit, and play like they used to be, this is the actual reference what they think of how they are like, and what makes them unique.

Thirdly, Jagger... this gives an explanation why Mick Jagger was the most charismatic rock star of the 60's. His act hasn't dated one inch... the attitude, the charisma, the arrogance, rawness, naturalness, sexiness... what a performer! (even in the context of his own band: Keith is just an enthuastic boy rocking wild, and Brian tries a bit too much to look cool...). Jagger might have learned some few more tricks along the years to go by, but he never turned out to be more convincing then he is there... in fact, the years seem to treat very tenderly Jagger's early filmed moments (contra some of his later doings).

I could go on, but I shut up instead and watch those clips one more time!!!

RRRROOOOOOOCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

- Doxa

One of your best posts, Doxa. smiling smiley thanks.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:26

Hope this turns out to be true. TAMI is my favorite Jones era performance available in good quality. Great performance of songs (definitive live Around and Around.)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:44

mitchflorida
The Rolling Stones very rarely played live for filmed performances . . mainly lip synching after Aftermath.

Theres nearly three yrs of LOADS of live filmed performances before Aftermath.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home