Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger on Hal Ashby "Let's spend the Night Together " movie .
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 20, 2009 12:26

[www.ina.fr]

In French here ,Mick speaks on Hal Ashby ,at 1.07
Here is an approximate translation winking smiley
Mick Jaeger ..lol !

Mick : >> I've phoned to Hal ..."Do you still want to direct the movie ,he phoned me the next day and said "I can do it "
I gave him the project/plan and gave my ideas ,and told him "YOU are the producer/director".
This wasn't the movie I've asked for but it's the movie that was done.
The colors are nice and the assembly too.It has a good look ,like Hollywood...it's very different from "Gimme Shelter "movie & other rock movies.
When you go to a concert ,you have only one seat but here you can see the stage from different places/seats ,one moment you're behind and you can see Keith changing guitars..the you see the helicopter ..this is the magic !

There are things that "??? " during your whole life,from birth do death but you don't know them.You were born with this thing and you don't know what's this power is ,it's inside you .One can say "Ohh,money & pretty women " but I don't believe this ,you were born with this experience.<<<

Journalist "Are you more satisfied today than before ?"eye rolling smiley

Mick : " Satisfied with what ?
Journalist :" With your life and yourself "
Mick :No no no .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Jagger on Hal Ashby "Let's spend the Night Together " movie .
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 20, 2009 14:21

Mick : ....This wasn't the movie I've asked for but it's the movie that was done.

Mick has probably said that about every movie he's been involved with. That's
specifically what he said about CS Blues too.... Either he imagines something different
and can't communicate it to the filmmaker or he says it if he doesn't want to take
any responsibility for the finished product. I bet he said it about Shine A Light too.

He's waiting to take credit for the one that wins an academy award.

Mick: ...it's very different from "Gimme Shelter "movie...

oh really.....huh...........how could a concert movie in 1981 with thousands
of brightly colored balloons & a lead singer wearing an NFL jersey be anything
close to a free concert secured by Hells Angels in San Fran in 1969. duh.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 20, 2009 18:50

It's not the movie he asked for. His typical bitch response.

He has the same bitch about this kind of thing that he does about albums - they are only good if they have hit singles and they sell gazillions of copies. Why do you think Mick likes to issue hits comps? Cause they're full of hits and they sell well.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 20, 2009 19:22

His French sucks too.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 20, 2009 22:15

sweet neo con
Mick : ....This wasn't the movie I've asked for but it's the movie that was done.

specifically what he said about CS Blues too.... Either he imagines something different
and can't communicate it to the filmmaker or he says it if he doesn't want to take
any responsibility for the finished product. I bet he said it about Shine A Light too.

MIDOL (or is it MYDOL?) works miracles for that special time of the month SNC, buy a small bottle and give them a try (should even out the moodiness/bitchy vibe quite a bit).... borrow a few from sis or a Gal Pal if you're low on funds smiling smiley (just trying to be a good bud, you know me, always helping out smiling smiley)

Date: November 20, 2009 22:34

HelterSkelter
sweet neo con

MIDOL (or is it MYDOL?) works miracles for that special time of the month SNC, buy a small bottle and give them a try (should even out the moodiness/bitchy vibe quite a bit).... borrow a few from sis or a Gal Pal if you're low on funds smiling smiley (just trying to be a good bud, you know me, always helping out smiling smiley)

No unconditional LUST here...
sounds like you need Lithium......my post was a legit observation.
Mick made the odd statements not me. Reread it when you're on the upswing.

Any McCartney or Madonna DVDs coming out? I'll wait for your next OT thread....not. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-20 22:41 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 20, 2009 22:48

Yeah, McCartney (MACCA to us insiders - smiling smiley) just put out a Double CD/Double DVD (special edition at Best Buy ONLY) that kicks ass. Great setlist - 33 songs I believe at the new Citi Field in NYC. Second DVD is the entire free Letterman Marque concert on Broadway in NYC. About 7 songs I believe..... Modonna has a greatest hits out but you're a big fan of her's (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong) so we don't need to get into that.....

Lithium?, is it any good? I might give it a try...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-20 23:00 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2009 22:50

the way the outdoor footage of LSTNT looks is amazing. I think the way it looks is better than GS. Im not saying the TOUR or MUSIC was better. just that the Sun Devil Stadium stuff is the best filmed concert footage of them. as a whole there are things the movie suffers from, butchered or ommited songs, spead up tape for starters.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-20 22:54 by ryanpow.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 20, 2009 23:02

I love Lstnt its a great document of the time. Its only let down by Micks stupid costume and ronnies drunken playing. Oh and ending songs in a crap way.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: November 20, 2009 23:41

How about the crap playing of most songs? So fast it seemed like they didn't want to be there.

The biggest irony to me of that entire tour, which is represented in tip top shape on Still Life and LSTNT - is/was that they don't really have the sound of The Rolling Stones. There was something very odd about the sound of that tour.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 00:18

The biggest irony to me of that entire tour, which is represented in tip top shape on Still Life and LSTNT - is/was that they don't really have the sound of The Rolling Stones. There was something very odd about the sound of that tour.

I agree, in a way they kind of didn't sound like the Rolling Stones. I love LSTNT and some of the other videos of that tour. I even like Still Life ok. But I've always thought the guitar sound was crap compared to the records and to the live shows in the years before 81. It's not bad on its own, that's why I like it ok, but when you listen to other tours and hear the better sounding guitars, it's a bit disappointing too. The guitars are so thin sounding. I felt the same way about the Who's tour the next year. I pictured a big huge fat sound like Baba O'Riley and Won't Get fooled again had in The Kids Are Alright film. Instead, Pete's guitar was wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. I didn't see either tour, I was only 12-13 at that time, only videos (especially the Who, HBO showed a concert from the tour the following summer.), but I remember hearing stuff from both tours and really thinking about how odd the guitar sound was. At that point I'd never been to a concert, but I didn't think that's what the Who and The Stones should've sounded like. Even though I had little to base it on I just expected a much bigger, more powerful sound from them both.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 05:32

i love that movie , it was the first stones movie i ever saw and it's still my favorite mick's outfits are dated but but so are the ones he wore in gimme shelter and cs blues

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 21, 2009 07:35

I was at the show (Sun Devil Stadium) where it was filmed, and I have to say it was surprisingly good for a stadium show - especially one taking place in the daylight. The Stones had skipped Phoenix for many years, so it was a thrill to have them in town. (I drove across the desert to see them for the first time in LA in '75).

Date: November 21, 2009 14:23

71Tele
I was at the show (Sun Devil Stadium) where it was filmed, and I have to say it was surprisingly good for a stadium show - especially one taking place in the daylight. The Stones had skipped Phoenix for many years, so it was a thrill to have them in town. (I drove across the desert to see them for the first time in LA in '75).

71Tele...refresh my memory.......what time of day did the show start?
Was it the same starting time for each stadium show on that tour?

I'm guessing it must've started around 6pm...as (obviously) it goes from daylight to darkness
by the end of the show..right?? Must've been hell to get there after work. Maybe most
people took a full day off (to get primed). winking smiley

I agree those helicopter shots during Beast of Burden are beautiful.
I think we flew over that stadium as we landed in Phoenix...is it really close to the airport?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 21, 2009 15:19

I love Hal Ashby movie.
The very first minutes before Jagger goes on stage is just such an exciting moment ,the crowd was so huge !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 21, 2009 17:00

SwayStones
I love Hal Ashby movie.
The very first minutes before Jagger goes on stage is just such an exciting moment ,the crowd was so huge !

yes..if they re-release it with the Deluxe Still Life ( smileys with beer ) I'd love to see them extend
the movie. I totally understand why it was a tight 90 minutes for movie theaters
but with DVDs there's no reason it can't be extended with more songs, entire songs & more backstage stuff.
Is Ashby still alive?? LSTNT - the Director's Cut.

Date: November 21, 2009 20:09

Regardless of the sound of that tour, I do like the movie and live album. I really love Under My Thumb, when Mick sneers a smile at the camera. Classic.

What's funny about that movie is when they missed something in the actual song and use 'other' footage, like Woody playing something that is not happening in the song, Charlie hitting cymbals that aren't there.

Mick's sneer is at 2:26

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 21, 2009 20:31

SwayStones
I love Hal Ashby movie.

Agree, the first 5 minutes are awesome !!!
and of course i like the movie.
(A l'époque de sa sortie au cinoche, je suis allé le voir, tous les jours,
du lundi au vendredi, et ouais, y'avais pas la video à l'époque, on pouvait pas le revoir tranquille à la maison >grinning smiley<)

HMN

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 21, 2009 20:52

glad it was filmed at that period of time and with so few cameras. Today's standards would make camera cuts every 2-3 seconds and make it painful to watch. The MSG Licks Video is painful due to the fast edits.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 22, 2009 22:40

>Is Ashby still alive??

No.

Anyone interested in Ashby & LSTNT should check out Peter Biskind's book "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-And Rock 'N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood".

Date: November 22, 2009 22:52

<< 71Tele...refresh my memory.......what time of day did the show start?
Was it the same starting time for each stadium show on that tour? >>

Ah, now you are asking me to rely on a 28-year old memory! I seem to recall being surprised they would start a show in the daylight. It was night when the show finished. We had to endure George Thoroughly-bad and his hack slide guitar playing. I forget the other opening act, but there was one. It's funny, I don't recall any "crap playing". I do remember that Bill was moving a lot more than usual and the band seemed in pretty good shape (except perhaps for Ronnie. Wasn't that his "freebase" period where he had to stay in a separate hotel if he wasn't clean? A subject for another thread). Jagger ran up the steps into the crowd a few feet from where I sat. A fine time was had by all.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2009 00:21

71Tele
We had to endure George Thoroughly-bad and his hack slide guitar playing.

Watching the pre-show Hampton footage ( directed by Hal Asby as well ) I got the impression Keith and Ronnie came to another conclusion concerning him...

Date: November 23, 2009 00:24

Maybe they did...I always thought the guy was a hack and I remain convinced of this.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2009 00:35

Maybe we just don´t share the same "hack" - list.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 23, 2009 00:41

LSTNT is a really cool concert film, capturing the Stones in a bold new era. It played a key role in opening up the Stones beyond Hot Rocks for me. The stage is expansive, Jag's dances his little heart out, Keef seems old and tired, Ronnie is the bright new kid on the block, although apparently he was a terrible drunk at the time, and Charlie is...well...Charlie. A DVD/Blu-ray set of the theatrical film and some of the complete shows they filmed and PPV'd would be an easy and awesome set.

Date: November 23, 2009 00:45

<< Maybe we just don´t share the same "hack" - list. >>

I agree to disagree...Lots of people seem to enjoy the guy.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: November 23, 2009 00:55

I was at the show too. It was Joe Ely, George T. And then after a very, very long delay, The Stones. I'm looking at my ticket stub right now and showtime was 11:00 AM. Showtime was Noon in Boulder with George T., Heart, then Stones and the show ended by dusk. In Phoenix we knew they were filming and figured then that the long delay was for lighting purposes for the film. Also, regarging George and the Destroyers, they were doing a 50/50 tour: 50 shows in 50 states (& maybe 50 days). I remember thinking they had a lot less energy than they had in Boulder on Oct. 3rd.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 01:39

71Tele
We had to endure George Thoroughly-bad and his hack slide guitar playing.
...I always thought the guy was a hack and I remain convinced of this.

George Thorogood is not a hack, he's far from it. I've heard this type of thing about him before. He's an excellent player. Maybe you haven't heard some of his acoustic finger picking, but I think that stuff shows how great a player he really is.

Having said that, when it comes to his live shows he is a bit of a one trick pony. Especially when it comes to the type of stuff he did on the Hampton pay-per-view. I can see why some people don't care for him a lot or get tired of his shtick. It is repetitious, but so is Chuck Berry (along with many others), and noone calls him a hack. You either like it or you don't, but it doesn't mean he's a hack. I liked what he did at the Hampton show and I think it worked well with the Stones.

Now when it comes to some of his songwriting, while I personally still wouldn't go so far as to call him a hack, I wouldn't argue with you either. Some of his songs are way too gimmicky, and he's been riding that Bad to the Bone crap for the past 25 years.

Date: November 23, 2009 02:51

<< so is Chuck Berry (along with many others), and noone calls him a hack. >>

Yes, and IF Thorogood had written 30 of the greatest songs in rock & roll history as well as creating one of music's iconic guitar styles still being emulated 50 years later, your analogy might be appropriate.

<< Some of his songs are way too gimmicky, and he's been riding that Bad to the Bone crap for the past 25 years. >>

Exactly.

Date: November 23, 2009 03:08

I just remembered another thing about that '81 show I was really disappointed in Ernie Watts's sound on sax. He's a great player, but too smooth for the Stones (I believe he might have played alto instead of tenor, which really bugged me). Then, they brought out Bobby Keys for just one song (BS). What was the deal with that?? Anyone else remember this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-23 03:08 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home