Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Most overrated: All Down the Line
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 4, 2010 04:21

PLease???????

Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: June 4, 2010 04:45

When you think Al Down the line is overated ........you,re not a stones fan or music player,thanks and be happy with the new MTV...........

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 4, 2010 05:11

Are you @#$%& nuts?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 4, 2010 05:14

Send It To me
It's just an average track - one of the weakest on Exile.

Wish they would play something else live - Highwire, Too Much Blood, One Hit, Out of Time, Slave, etc.

Dumb: Calling All Down The Line "overrated."

Dumber: Wanting to hear Too Much Blood instead.

Too Much Blood doesn't even sound like the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 4, 2010 05:22

Someone needs a shot of salvation, baby! White hot slide, chugging rhythm, Mick at his growling best. Manna from heaven...Stones in the early 70's

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 4, 2010 05:27

Well, if I were attending a Stones concert I'd rather hear "Too Much Blood" or "Highwire" because I like both songs and would love to hear them approach those songs in a live performance setting (whereas ADTL I've experienced many times).

As for the original post, I'd liken it to saying the most overrated star is the one the planet Earth orbits.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 4, 2010 13:43

Great song. Shoulda been a single. Same with Rocks Off.

Love Too Much Blood and like Highwire alot but they're not better than ADTL. Just my opinion of course.

I would like to hear Highwire and TMB live over ADTL however only cos they've never been played on stage as yet.

Absolutely love the acoustic version of ADTL too.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: June 4, 2010 16:27

Nice version on the '81 tour..

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:12

Send It To me
One of the weakest ? Of course,not .

And some live versions are just mind blowing .

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:33

Fersure it`s one of their all time live acts. I wonder why they don`t do it anymore.(the ABB tour)

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:49

Send It To me

Wish they would play something else live - Highwire, Too Much Blood, One Hit, Out of Time, Slave, etc.

Average? AVERAGE?!!!?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:55

Funny how some people take such offense to someone saying a song on Exile isn't great.

Point being - people have defended the shit out of a snooze that is named Just Want To See His Face - low and behold something on Exile is a snooze.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:59

skipstone
Funny how some people take such offense to someone saying a song on Exile isn't great.

Point being - people have defended the shit out of a snooze that is named Just Want To See His Face - low and behold something on Exile is a snooze.

No offence taken here. If that's the OP's opinion, fine, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 4, 2010 18:25

ADTL sounds a little like Silver Train to me;

Am I way off base?

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 4, 2010 18:29

Probably the slide guitar, but ADTL came first. The criticisim I hear is that Silver Train is a ADTL knock off, but I love them both....cannot get enough of Mick Taylor and his slide!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2010 20:26

reg thorpe

Am I way off base?

yes, you are. rather, silver train sounds alot like ADTL.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 4, 2010 20:29

Father Ted
skipstone

No offence taken here. If that's the OP's opinion, fine, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Just pointing out how some people vehemently disagree that someone can not like a song that is so liked. It's just funny. Like I said, I like the tune but I don't always listen to it.

Date: June 4, 2010 22:26

All Down the Line is not overrated. It's probably underrated. The 1981 live versions are among the worst ( if not the worst ),however.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 4, 2010 22:44

StonesTod
reg thorpe

Am I way off base?

..which is why they quickly dropped 'Silver Train' at the start of the '73 European tour.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2010 22:59

Gazza
StonesTod
reg thorpe

Am I way off base?

..which is why they quickly dropped 'Silver Train' at the start of the '73 European tour.

mhm - they were trying to avoid one of those "he's playing whip, but we're playing respectable" moments....

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 4, 2010 23:02

Each to there own
as for me all down the line is the
stones at there best, love the song

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 7, 2010 08:45

I'm not sure i'd go as far as saying All Down The Line is overrated exactly, but it does lack an element of greatness in my opinion which many of the Stones rockers did have in that period. The elements are all there for sure, at least musically (and especially the brass and Taylor's slide guitar playing), but the song in itself isn't particularly inspiring, sort of almost a routine rocker, although in live performance it did work extremely well. Taylor raised the level of this song immeasurably, although the studio version does possess a slickness which goes against the grain of much of what's on the album. I would agree, definitely one of the weaker moments on Exile On Main Street. It's certainly a lot more inspiring than say the much later Rock And A Hard Place and You Got Me Rocking, but it's definitely a step in that direction. Think the earlier unreleased version is better.

Date: June 7, 2010 10:49

T&A
Send It To me
I'm not instigating. It seems very average to me. And Highwire is @#$%& awesome, Cafaro. (It's also the band at its tightest and purest - 1991, Bill on bass, just off a tour, Mick's voice peaking, Keith pre-arthritis)

ummm...newsflash: keith doesn't play on highwire

Yes he does. But it is Mick that is playing the open G guitar. Keith plays the solo licks, except for in the ending where Ronnie plays the country-ish licks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 7, 2010 11:04

The Exile version is great,and with Taylor on slide the song burned like hell,imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:17

Don't think it is possible to overrate this song.

For me, it is like the archetypal Rolling Stones tune (and several others also fit that bill, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, JJF).

For me it never gets old. Can never decide whether of the two, I prefer Rocks Off or ADTL.

With do respect to your other picks, particularly High Wire (agree pretty good performance, vocally), I just find it just blase, in the same way I dislike Don't Stop.

Not that either are bad songs, they just aren't good songs either.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 7, 2010 23:39

Cafaro
you aren;t serious right? ADTL on Welcome to NY is perhaps on of the greatest live perfomances of their career.

It is perhaps the hottest track on Exile.........are just tryin to start a fight?

I mean Highwire......WTF? Highwire? Really?

This is something my ex-wife would say when she is in "STAGE 3" of a drinking night.
this thread makes me sick sick sick.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 8, 2010 00:13

Best Stones song on Shine a Light, their last album, was ADTL in my ears anyway. Champagne and Reefer being a Muddy song with a guest guitar player

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 8, 2010 17:53

Sorry, I love ADtL and think it's a perfect classic Stones rocker.

Cafaro, please go into more detail...I'm riveted.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 9, 2010 16:52

Winning Ugly VXII
All Down the Line is not overrated. It's probably underrated.

So true. It's the Stones at their best ... and to me, it's up there with the best rock songs of all time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2010 17:03

StonesTod
Gazza
StonesTod
reg thorpe

Am I way off base?

mhm - they were trying to avoid one of those "he's playing whip, but we're playing respectable" moments....

I like going through slightly older threads, and coming across a comment that makes me laugh out loud, almost spilling my coffee on my just pressed white shirt.cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home