Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones will hit #1 with the next studio album
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 27, 2010 23:42

then they get what? a blue ribbon? u focused on chart numbers ; instead of what might be in or on a rock record. i'm almost gone from iorr. it's about the music for me and i've enjoyed it here but i'm gonna post a few more possibly and out of here.
it's a great place tho. hope fans continue to enjoy. just too many people into the 'star' thing for me. if they work hard lets hope they have something to warrant listening to, other than the whole fanatic worships the record breaking godz thing.

thirty forty fifty years ago they were really something.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 27, 2010 23:44

Beelyboy
then they get what? a blue ribbon? u focused on chart numbers ; instead of what might be in or on a rock record. i'm almost gone from iorr. it's about the music for me and i've enjoyed it here but i'm gonna post a few more possibly and out of here.
it's a great place tho. hope fans continue to enjoy. just too many people into the 'star' thing for me. if they work hard lets hope they have something to warrant listening to, other than the whole fanatic worships the record breaking godz thing.

thirty forty fifty years ago they were really something.

i'm right with you on all this, beely. sales, schmales.

for me, i'm only gonna post a few more thousand and then i'm definitely outta here.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2010 00:13

StonesTod
it used to be about making music that mattered, now it's about making music that sells, eh? ummmm...folks, that's called selling out.

The Stones selling out? That will never happen!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 28, 2010 00:13

StonesTod

it's splitting hairs, maybe - but start me up goes back well OVER 30 years.

Really? 1981 so 29 years ago.

Date: May 28, 2010 00:18

rebelrebel
StonesTod

Really? 1981 so 29 years ago.

the song was written several years before was my point. so it's been well over 3 decades since they last wrote a so-called "signature" song. unless you wanna argue YGMR and please let's not go there....

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 28, 2010 01:06

Thanks Gazza. I knew it was something like that. I like your idea about having the CD cost built into the ticket price.

If one looks at the Stones touring to promote a disc, then they have failed because as Gazza alluded to, they played to far mpore people than that boughht ABB.
Using that logic, most people went to see a greatist hits show.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 28, 2010 02:15

StonesTod
urbanjungle90
I think it would be great if they could do another signature song. In my opinion the last one was Start Me Up, and that's nearly 30 years ago.

That might sound a bit silly, but we didn't see Exile coming, so I think anything is possible.

and i'm not sure what the success of exile has to do with the idea that they have another signature song left in them....other than i guess the overall notion that anything's possible.

You're right, that's what I mean, we didn't know they were doing Exile, so anything is possible. If anyone had said to me a year ago that the Stones would do that I would say no.

So because of that, I think its possible they could do another signature song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-28 02:17 by urbanjungle90.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: May 28, 2010 05:00

(quote) The Stones will hit #1 with the next studio album (unquote)

----- LOL. No they won't. Look what's #1 these days. Garbage, mainly.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-28 06:24 by stones77.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2010 07:29

Their album is number 1 in the world right now!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 28, 2010 07:37

If they ever getting around to releasing a new album - minus woody and jack white produccing it'll be number 1 w/ me!!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 28, 2010 09:18

sweet neo con
James Kirk
For the first time in a long time the Stones seemed "cool" in the States.

??? first time in a long time?

I agree that they will do more 21st century promotion for the next release...but more importantly,
I think they might have learned that their fans prefer more songs like Plundered My Soul, So Divine & Following the River etc...
(musically & lyrically) and not "One time you were my baby chicken Now you've grown into a fox Once upon a time I was your little rooster
But am I just one of your cocks"...."sweet neo con" etc....

Mick needs to keep the EOMS TIME MACHINE handy. If he is concerned about sales & critiques etc... (as he admits)...he/they must pay
attention to the audience. The feedback for the new Exile songs should make it very clear what we want...and according
to their interviews, they are also quite happy with the results gotten from channeling EOMS-era Mick & Keith with a dash of Mick Taylor. winking smiley

>grinning smiley<

Dude... exactly!

I've been saying this for years here - all it takes for them to truly matter culturally anymore are some more heartfelt, relateable songs that people will want to listen to. It doesn't matter what uber-conservative fans will tell you about them needing to rewrite chuck berry, or worse, themselves for the zillionth time. Sice Steel Wheels their records have sounded commercially aimed at the budweiser/sprint/whoever coporation ads that are inevitably playing them ad nauseam on every and any type of media available. Hollow stuff.

These "new" songs are written quite well, I like Mick's new lyrics FAR more on these than any current album in my memory (though I do count Wandering Spirit).

My concern is that the bulk of Keith's input is from the 69-72 Keith.
Can Keith still write stuff to match up with what Jagger's cooked up for these tracks? That's left to be seen...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 28, 2010 16:16

georgelicks
If they release the album on the same week than Glee, Britney, or any big current act, then the chances are less than zero.
Exile topped the UK charts (barely) thanks to a low sales week, but the new #1 album in UK next week is expected to sell 60-70k, the DOUBLE of Exile.

Movie studios, in an effort to have their films "top the box office", often strategically release their films during weeks they know the competition will be weak. Don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with an album, and maximize your chances of hitting #1.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 28, 2010 17:38

Edward Twining
I agree completely, StonesTod. I often get the feeling Mick is mystified by the popularity of Exile because it does not consist of conventionally great songs in a commercial sense. In many ways Mick has become too conservative and safe in his options, choosing commercial success above creativity. However, success hasn't followed his well thought out plans. Maybe his ideals lack a little in as far as sincerity is concerned.

I agree that Mick is no idealist but he's a great business man. He may also be a little more realistic about what the Stones are as they hit their late sixties! They are well past their creative peak. He and Keith no longer write to anything like the standard of their past work. That's no surprise - I would argue that virtually no 'great' songwriters, particularly of 'popular' music sustain peak creativity beyond early middle age let alone, let's face it, into old age. Exile has been such a success because it is a recycling of old material from their heyday. What they are still capable of doing, on past recent performance, is putting on good live entertainment to a standard of consistency which is exceptional for a band of their longevity. And live entertainment is where the money is at in this day and age.

Date: May 28, 2010 19:05

Lady Jayne
And live entertainment is where the money is at in this day and age.

no argument there whatsoever. the stones understand live entertainment and execute it as well as anyone. and, let's face it, 95% of those attending stones megashows (this is not an exact figure -but i'll get those to you later) aren't really "music" fans, per se...they are there to be entertained....

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 29, 2010 00:38

What's wrong with wishing good sales for the band you love? About what is good or not good music we will always disagree for God created us all differently.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home