Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones will hit #1 with the next studio album
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 27, 2010 16:35

It seems to me that the Stones may have found the marketing strategy to get their music to it's audience. Their appearence on the Jimmy Fallon show really got a good buzz about them going. For the first time in a long time the Stones seemed "cool" in the States.

Nobody would have thought that the Stones would enter the charts in the positions that they have with a re-issue of a 40 year old album that only has a couple of "hits" on it. We all thought a top 15 chart position would have been a great success. The marketing team both energized the Stones fanbase and for the first time in a long time hit a younger demo.

A #1 in the UK and a #2 in the United States is the product of great marketing for a change. Next time around with a new album and a tour the Stones will enter the US/UK and Global charts at #1...You heard it here first.

P.S. Expect the Stones to perform live on Fallon and Saturday Night Live (both NBC shows) around the time of the next studio release.

Re: The Stones will hit #1 with the next studio album
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 27, 2010 16:46

If they release the album on the same week than Glee, Britney, or any big current act, then the chances are less than zero.
Exile topped the UK charts (barely) thanks to a low sales week, but the new #1 album in UK next week is expected to sell 60-70k, the DOUBLE of Exile.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 27, 2010 16:58

That's quite assumptive based on the reissue of Exile. Their previous few albums have debuted at #2 or whatever.

And do you think the hype warrants the work (the label spending money) the people do to get the word out? If it debuts at #1 but doesn't make half the money back that was spent on hype yet alone the overall production of the album...

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:05

If everybody buy the album on the same day, you have a chance to be #1 in the charts. But for one day!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:07

Seeing that the numbers to be #1 are less and less each month it is possible. But that certainly doesn't make it financially viable to hype it so much I would think.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:43

Their last album:ABB, has sold over 2,5 million in the world...I don't think that has been a bad score...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:57

It was my understanding that given their current recoed deal, they dont owe a new studio album.
If that is true, then they need to sign another contract before they cut a new disc, etc..which at the rate the band is working, should happen in the year 2052

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:03

i'm sure they have the finances to record an album on their own. they can do that then shop it around.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:09

Marketing and strategy have always been part od the business.
Remember that during the 60ies, Stones and Beatles scheduled their releases in order not to disturb each other and to have maximum impact.

Nowadays, the majors are probably smart enough to do a similar work and make sure that their most strategic releases don't clash into one another.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:38

mailexile67
Their last album:ABB, has sold over 2,5 million in the world...I don't think that has been a bad score...

Considering they played to over 6 million people on the tour that 'promoted' it, I beg to differ.

If fans can pay an average of $170 for a concert ticket, then its a pretty bad state of affairs that they cant spend a tenth of that to buy the CD that the show is supposedly promoting.

Next time, they should forget about chart positions and include the CD as part of the ticket price. It'll mean that the album probably wont be eligible for a chart entry, but at least it'll give the audience no reason to be unaware of their new music and the band less reason to be so reluctant to promote it.

A high chart position is a big deal for one week only, and that ego-trip alone doesnt justify the effort undertaken in putting it together. Its more significant that the music gets across to as many people as possible over a longer period of time. Even more so in an era of dwindling sales.

Date: May 27, 2010 18:42

Cafaro
It was my understanding that given their current recoed deal, they dont owe a new studio album.
If that is true, then they need to sign another contract before they cut a new disc, etc..which at the rate the band is working, should happen in the year 2052

Half correct. Theyre not contractually obliged to give UMG a studio album, but IF they decide to make one within the span of the UMG contract (5 years starting from mid/late 2008 or so), it would be released on that label.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:42

A great idea by Gazza!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:55

James Kirk
For the first time in a long time the Stones seemed "cool" in the States.

??? first time in a long time?

I agree that they will do more 21st century promotion for the next release...but more importantly,
I think they might have learned that their fans prefer more songs like Plundered My Soul, So Divine & Following the River etc...
(musically & lyrically) and not "One time you were my baby chicken Now you've grown into a fox Once upon a time I was your little rooster
But am I just one of your cocks"...."sweet neo con" etc....

Mick needs to keep the EOMS TIME MACHINE handy. If he is concerned about sales & critiques etc... (as he admits)...he/they must pay
attention to the audience. The feedback for the new Exile songs should make it very clear what we want...and according
to their interviews, they are also quite happy with the results gotten from channeling EOMS-era Mick & Keith with a dash of Mick Taylor. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:05 by sweet neo con.

Date: May 27, 2010 18:58

windmelody
A great idea by Gazza!

My fellow Gemini hornball, Prince Rogers Nelson, deserves the credit for that one.

His previous album, '3121' had so-so sales in the UK (maybe about 40,000 or so max), and then he announced the 21 shows at London's 02 arena in August-September 2007, hot on the heels of his new release 'Planet Earth' - sales of which in the UK were restricted to a) a giveaway deal with the 'Mail on Sunday' newspaper in July 2007 (circulation 2 million. Cost of newspaper - about £2) and b) ticket buyers for the 02 shows (tickets were mostly priced at £31.21, natch..)

The album wasnt eligible for a chart position because of the promotion, but sales were huge and the hype over it was enormous.

Prince had also given his 'Musicology' CD away with concert tickets in 2004, so the concept wasnt new.

I personally find it pretty outrageous that you can seemingly buy everything at a Rolling Stones concert that has their logo on it - but you can't buy their CDs. Makes you wonder if they're primarily a band or a brand?

The lesson is, that if you want to continue to make music that you believe in and the audience are reluctant to get off their asses and buy it, then you have to ram it down their throats and make sure they cant avoid it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-27 19:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 27, 2010 19:44

it used to be about making music that mattered, now it's about making music that sells, eh? ummmm...folks, that's called selling out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2010 20:04

Stones will only make it to number 1, if they have a 'hit song' a la "Start Me Up", that would propel the album's sales.

It has always been that way. Even Exile had "Tumbling Dice", which if memory serves was at least top 10.

"Streets of Love"/"Rain Fall Down"/"Biggest Mistake" is not going to cut it.

and as far as selling out is concerned, didn't the WHO have an album called that?

Date: May 27, 2010 20:11

treaclefingers
Stones will only make it to number 1, if they have a 'hit song' a la "Start Me Up", that would propel the album's sales.

It has always been that way. Even Exile had "Tumbling Dice", which if memory serves was at least top 10.

and as far as selling out is concerned, didn't the WHO have an album called that?

with the stones' profile, they need only be concerned about making good music, not commercially-appealing music. the former will take care of the latter.

not sure mick understands the differnce anymore, frankly....it used to come naturally.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 27, 2010 20:24

I agree completely, StonesTod. I often get the feeling Mick is mystified by the popularity of Exile because it does not consist of conventionally great songs in a commercial sense. In many ways Mick has become too conservative and safe in his options, choosing commercial success above creativity. However, success hasn't followed his well thought out plans. Maybe his ideals lack a little in as far as sincerity is concerned.

Date: May 27, 2010 20:25

StonesTod
treaclefingers

with the stones' profile, they need only be concerned about making good music, not commercially-appealing music. the former will take care of the latter.

not sure mick understands the differnce anymore, frankly....it used to come naturally.

Huh?

Since when has making good music had anything at all to do with record sales?

I'm agreeing with you, they should just focus on making good music, and not worry about commercially-appealing.

Their genre is now, for the most part passe with new audiences...they've tried to stay current (ABSMB rap), and failed abysmally.

One can only hope that the success of this rerelease might motivate them to write and record to their pleasure, rather than pandering to the masses who won't by it regardless.

Date: May 27, 2010 20:55

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers

Huh?

I'm agreeing with you, they should just focus on making good music, and not worry about commercially-appealing.

Their genre is now, for the most part passe with new audiences...they've tried to stay current (ABSMB rap), and failed abysmally.

One can only hope that the success of this rerelease might motivate them to write and record to their pleasure, rather than pandering to the masses who won't by it regardless.

good music combined with a profile of the stones will equate into sales. you underestimate the music-buying public's taste and appetite for good music. it's there.

Date: May 27, 2010 21:01

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers

Huh?

good music combined with a profile of the stones will equate into sales. you underestimate the music-buying public's taste and appetite for good music. it's there.

Agreed it would sell.

I just don't agree that it will translate into a number 1 album. Not that I even care so much about that, but that is the point of the thread.

Their past album sales successes have been greatly assisted with a strong, pop single.

Where they've done really well, like Some Girls/Tattoo You, is when they've followed up with even more singles.

That may or may not be to your or my taste, but that sells records.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 27, 2010 21:36

I don't care if they don't hit # 1. All I would like is Keith being involved in a project and push something up to the level of SMU. Just one last try. Just the motivation.

Date: May 27, 2010 21:49

phd
I don't care if they don't hit # 1. All I would like is Keith being involved in a project and push something up to the level of SMU. Just one last try. Just the motivation.

i agree - but i don't think even that's likely anymore. would love to be proven wrong.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 27, 2010 21:55

I think it would be great if they could do another signature song. In my opinion the last one was Start Me Up, and that's nearly 30 years ago.

That might sound a bit silly, but we didn't see Exile coming, so I think anything is possible.

Date: May 27, 2010 21:58

urbanjungle90
I think it would be great if they could do another signature song. In my opinion the last one was Start Me Up, and that's nearly 30 years ago.

That might sound a bit silly, but we didn't see Exile coming, so I think anything is possible.

it's splitting hairs, maybe - but start me up goes back well OVER 30 years.

and i'm not sure what the success of exile has to do with the idea that they have another signature song left in them....other than i guess the overall notion that anything's possible.

Date: May 27, 2010 22:11

urbanjungle90

I do think they have this in them. It's not like creating a signature song, like Start Me Up is 'complex' and beyond their capabilities.

I'm not sure why they haven't bothered...and to me, that's what it seems like.

Start Me Up was totally unique to them...only they could have come up with that and they could come up with another.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 27, 2010 22:49

>>Start Me Up was totally unique to them...only they could have come up with that and they could come up with another.<<

They had to dig deep to even find that version of SMU, between 30+ reggea versions of it.
Mick'n'Keith put their noses into the vaults and found some good things for EOMS II.
it also helps to have an interested company that cares to put their combined forces behind a release.

Date: May 27, 2010 23:16

"it also helps to have an interested company that cares to put their combined forces behind a release."

Which they have now...which is all the more reason to be optimistic.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 27, 2010 23:25

They always (well almost always), hit the nr 1 spot in Holland like they did with Bigger Bang, Bridges to Babylon, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work etc etc, so why wouldn't they with their new studio album?

Date: May 27, 2010 23:27

behroez
They always (well almost always), hit the nr 1 spot in Holland like they did with Bigger Bang, Bridges to Babylon, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work etc etc, so why wouldn't they with their new studio album?

Yes, Holland is probably secure. I think we're talking beyond those borders.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home