Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: The Black Crowes: I Ain't Hiding
Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 30, 2009 10:37

go to [www.blackcrowes.com] and download

it's a departure for sure, of course even this time they won't escape Stones-comparisons, but that New York/Blondie-thing with psychedelic guitars sounds pretty fresh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 10:50 by Child Of Clay.

Re: OT: The Black Crowes: I Ain't Hiding
Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: June 30, 2009 11:04

Love it !! Funky !!

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 30, 2009 11:58

Why in the world would this draw any Stones comparisons ? Cuz of Miss You or ER ?? Gimme a break. Crowes have always had their own identity. No Stones rip off here. Totally original. Crowes beat the shit outta the Stones as far as original music. Love the Stones but they have not made a decent album since UC. Lost their passion. Crowes continue to release fresh original music. Too bad my fav Stones couldnt keep it up.

Date: June 30, 2009 12:15

^ That's exactly how I see it. I'm not making any Stones-comparisons, but I'm sure the "disco" beat is enough for some people. Mentioned it just because this is IORR, after all.
The rest of the new Crowes album(s) is probably in totally different style, but if this is any indication of where their heads are now it'll be f*cking fantastic music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 12:15 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 30, 2009 14:47

> No Stones rip off here. Totally original. Crowes beat the shit outta the Stones as far as original music.

now that's funny.

I like them, still have to get into that song - weird for Crowes, ain't it? however, it's nice they allow to download it for free.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 30, 2009 14:58

Nice! Different but nice. The rest of the fortcoming album (plus code to download another for free) is supposed to be very rootsy and mellow. But a nice gesture, releasing a new song for free!

Great band, really hope they tour Europe properly next year. It's been too long since they visited more then three cities...

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:11

''Crowes have always had their own identity.''

LOL - that's a real cracker; funniest thing I ever heard, practically

''Crowes beat the shit outta the Stones as far as original music.''

lol...well, except for that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 18:12 by Taylor Era.

Date: June 30, 2009 19:02

Taylor Era
''Crowes beat the shit outta the Stones as far as original music.''

lol...well, except for that

Well, if you compare their albums since 1989, the Crowes win, hands down.

Date: June 30, 2009 19:05

Well, if you compare their albums since 1989, the Crowes win, hands down

..but if you compare the Stones best output vs. the Crowes best output, well, I dont need to tell you who wins hands down.

The Crowes might qualify to win as best Stones copycats, but that is about it.

Date: June 30, 2009 19:12

Taylor Era
Well, if you compare their albums since 1989, the Crowes win, hands down

..but if you compare the Stones best output vs. the Crowes best output, well, I dont need to tell you who wins hands down.

The Crowes might qualify to win as best Stones copycats, but that is about it.

Offcourse the Stones would win, their best albums are the best albums ever made. To dismiss the Crowes as Stones copycats is nonsense. I like to think that the Crowes continue the seventies rock/blues/country tradition that the Stones abondonned in the eighties. And some of their own originals rank among the best rock 'n roll albums ever made (Southern Harmony for example).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 30, 2009 19:33

I must be missing something, where's the download link?

Date: June 30, 2009 19:40

I like to think that the Crowes continue the seventies rock/blues/country tradition that the Stones abondonned in the eighties. And some of their own originals rank among the best rock 'n roll albums ever made (Southern Harmony for example).

..there's other bands that did this, do this, and better, without sounding copycat at all

Prime example;

[www.jambase.com].

The Tragically Hip :: 06.13.09 :: The Fillmore :: San Francisco, CA

Excerpts;

"How does a band this FANTASTIC elude my attention for 16 years?"

'this Canadian institution's Fillmore onslaught... storming the room like men who've learned much in their time together and refined their craft in a way that begs comparisons to fighting peak Black Crowes and R.E.M.

Every aspect of this two-set show had it dialed in – the exciting, tuned-in light show, the sequencing, their general stage presence, the enormous back-and-forth with the audience. It is truly a pleasure to watch pros work.

I honestly never tire of catching a band that starts on time and delivers bang for your buck, honoring the money and energy audiences contribute to the experience.

There is much to sweep one up with the Hip, and their extremely talented rhythm team - Gord Sinclair (bass) and Johnny Fay (drums) – deserves props. This is a lock-tight pair on par with the Truckers' Shonna Tucker and Brad Morgan, seemingly invisible but moving and marbled in every aspect of the music. Still, it always comes back to (Gord) Downie, who, without hyperbole, is one of the best bandleader/singers in the world.

..the high point for this newbie was second set closer "New Orleans Is Sinking," a four-alarm barnburner packed with impolite guitars and a cry to the heavens that one feels in their very fiber. Off 1989's 'Up To Here,' it's creepy prescience given Katrina, Bush and the rest is startling enough but this is also the sort of gutbucket, unvarnished rock 'n' roll simply outside the grasp of many contemporary bands.

It's not often one comes away a fan from a first encounter, but The Tragically Hip aren't most bands.

..'nuff said

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 30, 2009 19:45

.....all the Crowes are missing is Mick at the mic and Keith on guitar..otherwise their pretty good.

Date: June 30, 2009 20:10

I found it, the link is www.blackcrowes.com/dl.php

Great song. Reminds me a bit of "Cool for Cats", but not Miss You at all.

I really don't get why people insist the BC are a Stones rip-off, they are a completely different band.

Date: June 30, 2009 20:24

''I really don't get why people insist the BC are a Stones rip-off, they are a completely different band.''

..true, they ripped off the Allman Brothers, Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin, Faces and Otis Redding too

they even ripped off their clothes, look and whole image from those guys

hell the first time I heard 'Jealous Again' I remember thinking, 'I sure liked that alot better when it was called 'Tumbling Dice,' and when I heard 'Sister Luck' I remember thinking how much I liked it better when it was called 'Sway'

I don't gt how some people actually think the Black Crowes invented that whole boozy, swampy, blues/country blues riff thing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 20:25 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: June 30, 2009 20:37

Original or not, great great band. Love them.

Classic on their own right.

Date: June 30, 2009 20:47

Taylor Era
''I really don't get why people insist the BC are a Stones rip-off, they are a completely different band.''

..true, they ripped off the Allman Brothers, Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin, Faces and Otis Redding too

they even ripped off their clothes, look and whole image from those guys

hell the first time I heard 'Jealous Again' I remember thinking, 'I sure liked that alot better when it was called 'Tumbling Dice,' and when I heard 'Sister Luck' I remember thinking how much I liked it better when it was called 'Sway'

I don't gt how some people actually think the Black Crowes invented that whole boozy, swampy, blues/country blues riff thing

Oh, I 100% agree, there are influences from many bands and styles, but out of that they distilled their own sound (with alot of winks). To me that's different from calling them copycats or a ripoff of the Stones. But since we are on a Stones forum, you can expect some biased opinions winking smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 30, 2009 21:03

I really like this. sounds like they really evolve?

Date: July 1, 2009 07:08

It's an American band, they're born with what the Stones had to learn winking smiley

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 1, 2009 07:25

Some of you here make it seem like the Stones invented blues, rock and roll, performing on-stage in everyday clothes, the lead singer dancing around on stage, gritty guitars, etc. Yes the Stones were great and will always be my favs for their stuff from 62-83 but gimme a break. Every group rips off from everywhere and everyone. Otherwise there would be no bands at all. Gotta have inluences and gotta get ideas from somewhere. make it seem like the Stones got all their song ideas from out of thin air. Evryone is inluenced by others and it comes out in the music. Just the way it is. And the Crowes have evolved through the years and have never made one album that sounded like the previous. True artists to be able to take a basic formula and make it always sound fresh and new. Same as the Stones. Why so much dislike here for the Crowes ? If anything they have kept the vibe of being true to blues roots alive. Started out wearing their influences on their sleeves and the eventually found their sound and own style. True rock and roll band. One of the best ever.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 1, 2009 11:27

I don't know what to make of it. It caught me unprepared!

Now I know how it could have been for a Stones fan back in 78 when listening for Miss You for the first time!

C

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 1, 2009 12:26

The reason everybody here hates the Crowes it's because they show exactly what the Stones are lacking nowadays.
I mean, I have no idea what the BCs will be like in 26 years, still, they do still deliver awesome shows, awesome performances, great original, yet derivative, records and are still in touch with their fanbase.
In other words, all of these positive sides of their career are completely lacking in the Stones one at this very point.
The BCs have nowadays the very same age the Stones had in 83 and are still going strong with highly creative records, whilst the Stones were almost braindead by that time.
I mean, I love the Stones, I just think that as an active band the Crowes did stand better the test of time.
Of course no comparison could be made about relevance, the Stones would win hands down, still the Crowes are more about the walk than the talk.

Date: July 1, 2009 13:21

Actually I don't see any hate for the BC here. I myself have been a huge Black Crows fan since their debut album. To give an idea, when some years ago I saw they were to play 5 reunion gigs with Marc Ford in NY I jumped on a plane without thinking twice!!! That was from milano and no tickets to the concert!

As I once said, the BC play exactly the kind of music that most of us would play if we were in their shoes. Its a "summa" of the music we all listen to. How can they possibly not be loved?

To be fair though, the Stones have been and are something else.

C

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 1, 2009 13:31

Liddas,

alost everytime someone mentions the BCs the very first term associated to them is "Stones rip-offs".
Defining them Stones rip-offs means not having a serious idea of what the Stones or the Black Crowes trademark styles are.

Date: July 1, 2009 13:42

at the end of this track applause can be heard, and like some of you know, part of the sessions for the upcoming album were the "Cabin Fever"-gigs at Levon Helm's Barn. I think this live approach works well with Chris' vocals, tho' I'm not sure if there's anything left of the live recording on the finished product (except for the applause)! Then again it could all be live save for some inevitable cosmetic overdubs.

Date: July 1, 2009 13:49

dunhill
Liddas,

alost everytime someone mentions the BCs the very first term associated to them is "Stones rip-offs".
Defining them Stones rip-offs means not having a serious idea of what the Stones or the Black Crowes trademark styles are.

But its always the "taliban" Taylor Era!

Funny, by the way, because for sure the Stones during the Taylor era are a great reference for the BC live act.

C

Posted by: novica ()
Date: July 1, 2009 14:13

this song reminds me on David Bowie's DJ...
i don't know why, maybe the way Chris sings ...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 1, 2009 14:54

the song keeps growing on me, I think it's just excellent. if this is an indicator how the new album will sound, then they definitely re-invented themselves! I didn't like their last album at all, but this could really be something!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 1, 2009 14:59

they are not a rip off, but hugely Stones influenced band
stop "defending" them cause there's no need - we all like/love them.
but you got to live with the fact, without the Stones there wouldn't be Black Crowes.

Date: July 1, 2009 15:12

liddas
I myself have been a huge Black Crows fan since their debut album.

Then you should know their name is spelled Black Crowes cool smiley

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home