Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Exile and Glee Cast for #1 - #2 in U.S (80k - 100k)
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 20, 2010 00:12

Gazza
James Kirk
I will kill myself if Glee beats the Stones for the #1 spot.

Mick will live to regret that scripted joke about them on the Fallon Show. Maybe thousands of potential Exile-buyers had never heard of them before and rushed out to buy their album after he mentioned them.

It's looking like it's all over for me smiling smiley

Anyway, a #2 opening for a 40 year old record is still very good. Let's hope Exile can hold on in the U.K. and European charts. It may even make some noise on the Global chart.

P.S. Who the hell buys a "Glee" record? It's like buying a karaoke record.

Re: Exile and Glee Cast for #1 - #2 in U.S (80k - 100k)
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 00:21

James Kirk
I will kill myself if Glee beats the Stones for the #1 spot.

Don't.

Re: Could Exile go to #1?
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 20, 2010 00:31

Gazza
If they do, as far as I'm aware they'll be the first act EVER to have number 1's in FIVE different decades. They'd have been looking at a sixth had they sold 12 more copies of 40 Licks in the first week in 2002 - unfortunately EMI in their infinite wisdom missed out on a sure thing by releasing it the same day as BMG released the "Elvis Number 1's CD.

only 12?? Mick should've sent all of his kids out to get an extra copy for their cars. winking smiley

anecdotal evidence: i bought the last Exile deluxe at both Best Buys that I went to...
even the regular (non-deluxe version) was sold out at one store...and only 1-2 Super Deluxe still there.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 20, 2010 00:39

sweet neo con
Gazza
If they do, as far as I'm aware they'll be the first act EVER to have number 1's in FIVE different decades. They'd have been looking at a sixth had they sold 12 more copies of 40 Licks in the first week in 2002 - unfortunately EMI in their infinite wisdom missed out on a sure thing by releasing it the same day as BMG released the "Elvis Number 1's CD.

only 12?? Mick should've sent all of his kids out to get an extra copy for their cars. winking smiley

anecdotal evidence: i bought the last Exile deluxe at both Best Buys that I went to...
even the regular (non-deluxe version) was sold out at one store...and only 1-2 Super Deluxe still there.

Mick still has time to send his kids out to buy up copies of Exile. The Stones have the #1 spot in the U.K., but it's only by 1,000 copies with a few days of sales left.

Date: May 20, 2010 00:40

On a kind of related note a mgr at my local Best Buy told me they sold out of all the copies they had because they didn't expect the demand to be as high as it's been.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: May 20, 2010 00:52

the deluxe edition is sold out at amazon uk...

Date: May 20, 2010 00:58

VOODOOSEBI
the deluxe edition is sold out at amazon uk...

I think we are seeing a trend here. I don't think any of these retailers expected this kind of demand for a 40 year old record by the Stones.

This gives me some hope that the next Stones cd off all new material could sell quite well. The promotion this cd's is getting has been the best they have gotten in quite a long time.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:04

James Kirk
sweet neo con
Gazza

Mick still has time to send his kids out to buy up copies of Exile. The Stones have the #1 spot in the U.K., but it's only by 1,000 copies with a few days of sales left.

Thank feck no one in the UK has ever heard of Glee.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:28

I'm in the US and I've never heard of Glee. Don't know if that helps Gazza. Something tells me I'm better for it though.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:32

What is this "Glee" stuff anyway? I've never heard of it before...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:52

James Kirk
I'd hate to see the Stones lose out to another crappy band by a small number like they did to James Blunt went ABB came out

Do you honestly give a flying @#$%& ?

If so. I'd love to know the reasons why. It certainly wont effect me or my enjoyment of the album

Date: May 20, 2010 02:21

andy js
James Kirk
I'd hate to see the Stones lose out to another crappy band by a small number like they did to James Blunt went ABB came out

Do you honestly give a flying @#$%& ?

If so. I'd love to know the reasons why. It certainly wont effect me or my enjoyment of the album

Will I enjoy the album less if it doesn't hit #1? NO,but it's all about bragging rights. I want stick it in the face of those who wrote the Stones off.

What Stones fan doesn't want the album to hit #1?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 02:31 by James Kirk.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 20, 2010 03:42

It's obviously safe to say that nobody really expected it to to begin with.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 20, 2010 04:29

I guess we will have to all go out and buy an extra copy then to spead the music.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 20, 2010 09:01

The question is if any album is hyped so much as EXILE is not far (and for a good reason)... great publicity everywhere. It is not just some reviews hidden in some music section; there are seperated, high-profile articles written of it.

I guess the good sales is finally the result of two factors: (1) the reputation of The Rolling Stones as one of the most legendary bands ever; (2) a product that actually matches with the reputation; EXILE is said to any review to be if not their finest but at least most legendary album. -> "avarege joy" - who has a rock interest and had just FORTY LICKS, and seen some of their stadium shows - is finally tempted to buy a copy. (With a good marketing strategy they might have a great potential market there in future as well - and there's nothing wrong with the product at all, as we know here.)

Ironical that The Stones back catalog has lately sold awfully bad, but now they seem to push the whole back catalog album idea to a new level... What a dramatical change.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 09:03 by Doxa.

Date: May 20, 2010 12:22

James Kirk
Will I enjoy the album less if it doesn't hit #1? NO,but it's all about bragging rights. I want stick it in the face of those who wrote the Stones off.

How old are you James ?

Cos that sounds like something a ten year old would say

The reason people have written the Stones off is because they can't make any great songs now. Where's the triumph in having an already known classic back in the charts ?

Mental.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 20, 2010 13:57

andy js
James Kirk

How old are you James ?

The reason people have written the Stones off is because they can't make any great songs now. Where's the triumph in having an already known classic back in the charts ?

Mental.

Don't really think it's about that bragging rights as such. More for me a sense of satisfaction. Following the Stones and having a Number 1 album would be a great feeling.

Logically perhaps it doesn't make much sense, afterall we can enjoy the music no matter what the chart placing. to see one of their finest pieces of work, with an additional disc of 'new' music siting on top of the album chart would give me a great sense of inner well being.

Personally i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a number 1 album. so many near misses recently with hits records (licks #2) studio album (Bang #2) Live (SAL #2)

Exile for Number 1 - all will be right for the world and I'll have a little more faith in the future of the human race!!!

Yeah baby.

Date: May 20, 2010 16:33

andy js
James Kirk

How old are you James ?

Mental.

Didn't mean to offend you Andy. Lighten up.

How old are you because that sounds like something my 94 year old crumedgeon of a Grandfather would say...We get it Andy you are above the charts and any commercial aspect of the re-release. Lets's just enjoy it for what it is. Blah, blah, blah.

Ultimately it doesn't make a difference if the record goes to #1 or not, but as a life long Stones fan I'd like to see it be a #1 and I think the majority of people on this board would agree.

P.S. Jagger would kill for a #1 album in the United States at this point and it may convince him that there is still a viable commercial market for new Stones projects going forward.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 16:42 by James Kirk.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 20, 2010 17:07

Gazza

Thank feck no one in the UK has ever heard of Glee.

Does anyone here really think Jagger had heard of 'Glee' prior to that sketch? Surely it was staged, no?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 20, 2010 18:55

According to the latest leaked sales figures, the Rolling Stones are just 500 copies ahead of Faithless.

Tuesday: 1,600
Wednesday: 1,000
Thursday: 500

It looks like the #1 is very hard to keep at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 18:56 by georgelicks.

Date: May 20, 2010 20:28

James Kirk
andy js
James Kirk

How old are you James ?

Mental.

Didn't mean to offend you Andy. Lighten up.

How old are you because that sounds like something my 94 year old crumedgeon of a Grandfather would say...We get it Andy you are above the charts and any commercial aspect of the re-release. Lets's just enjoy it for what it is. Blah, blah, blah.

Ultimately it doesn't make a difference if the record goes to #1 or not, but as a life long Stones fan I'd like to see it be a #1 and I think the majority of people on this board would agree.

P.S. Jagger would kill for a #1 album in the United States at this point and it may convince him that there is still a viable commercial market for new Stones projects going forward.

Jagger is all about shit like that. Thats the problem

Date: May 20, 2010 21:17

georgelicks
According to the latest leaked sales figures, the Rolling Stones are just 500 copies ahead of Faithless.

If memory serves the UK charts come out on Sunday. Does that mean that the Stones just have to hold out until Saturday? If so at the current rate it looks like they will lose out by just 500 copies.

That kind of sucks. Losing the #1 spot to lightweights like Faithless, the Cast of Glee and James Blunt in 05. My prediction is that Justin Bieber keeps their next studio album out of #1 with 3 more albums sold than the Stones.

P.S. Mick send someone to the store to grab 1,000 copies.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:21

mark me down in the camp that couldn't give a rat's petute about sales figures. i feel very strongly about not caring, too...

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:48

OK so I just ordered my copy on Amazon in UK. That's one more.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2010 22:39

georgelicks

Wouldnt Faithless be thinking the same even more so?

Why assume they'll have a late surge and the Stones wont?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 21, 2010 00:51

The important thing -- to me, to us -- is that this will probably convince Jagger of how much potential there is in archive releases from the Stones.

I'm sure a completely new album by the Stones would sell much better than A Bigger Bang if promoted as much as this Exile release. But that's not gonna happen, because a new Stones album won't have the same interest in the papers as Exile, unless they do something sensational with it.

If they would release a Bootleg Series kind of collection, or a Deluxe Sticky Fingers album, or a '78 DVD or whatever, no matter how good -- it will (probably) never receive as much publicity as this Exile release, because this is the first time ever that they make a proper archive release, and it's also from the most legendary period of the Stones.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 21, 2010 04:59

I think the 'Exile Rarities' cd is going to surprise us and show up in the top 50 as its own cd. The $10 standalone and the $20-25 t-shirt/cd package thru internet and Target seems to be really doing well. I got the last one of each at my local store today.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:03

If there weren't so many different versions for sale, it might have had a chance at number one this week!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 14:41

When?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2010 15:22

this has #1 all over it.in this day and age with all the crap out on the market .the stones are gonna make a killing with this .how can they not ?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home