Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Could Exile go to #1?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 19, 2010 04:58

If you had asked me a two weeks ago I would have said they would be lucky to make the top 15 with the re-release of "Exile on Mainstreet", but as I type the Rolling Stones have the mid-week #1 album in the U.K...They also have the #1 album on Amazon in the U.S.A. and Canada.

Presales have been very strong. People on Stones boards are saying that they went to pick up Exile on to find it sold out (happended to me) when they arrived at the store.

Has the rest of the world finally caught up with us and will return the Stones to the #1 spot? Is this possible in 2010?

P.S. If the Stones lose the #1 spot in the U.S. to the cast of Glee I may hang myself.
-------------------------------

[www.amazon.com]

From Music Week:

"The Rolling Stones’ revamped Exile On Main Street is looking to pull off the rare feat of a catalogue title topping the albums chart after opening up a narrow sales lead over Faithless.

The re-issued Polydor album, which adds an additional 10 tracks to the original 1972 set, is currently around 1,600 sales ahead of the newly-issued Faithless album The Dance, with DFA/Parlophone’s LCD Soundsystem completing a top three of new entries.

If the Stones do hold on to the top spot by the end of the week, Polydor and the band would have pulled off a very rare chart achievement. Although catalogue titles have topped the singles chart on numerous occasions, it is very unusual for a catalogue release to reach number one on the albums chart outside of best of sets, although it has happened before. T Rex’s first two 1968-issued albums, Prophets, Seers And Sages The Angels Of The Ages, and My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair But Now They’re Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows, reached number one in May 1972 in a double package. Coincidently, a month after T Rex made number one, Exile On Main Street hit the top during its original release. More recently, the Traveling Wilburys' two albums were united as Collection, which reached number one in June 2007."

Re: Could Exile go to #1?
Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:02

As I stated earlier today, MANY locations Best Buy and Target had different versions sell out. I also noticed the target t-shirt promo is now sold out online. It now shows 2-4 weeks for delivery. This could go #1. Tell everbody to buy it!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:19

It is number 6 on USA Itunes chart this evening. Are download sales counted the same way?

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:23

It was sold out in Reston, Virginia (25 miles outside of Washington DC) in both Best Buy and Barnes and Noble. Now that could be, "shoot we didnt think the customers would buy more than 50 copies" or "shit they fans are possessed!" Let's hope its the latter.

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:24

Probably a little of both. I wouldlike to think the larger retail outlets had a decent no of copies in stock.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:27

It's very unlikely, it needs to sell strong during the whole week not only the first day.
Still, Top 5 in U.K is impressive for a 38 years album which already reached #1.

Tomorrow we'll see the projection in U.S.

Date: May 19, 2010 06:40

Are there any new records with the exception of that annoying 'Glee" soundtrack that could outsell them?

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: May 19, 2010 07:30

Can't hit Number One on the U.S. Billboard Top Albums chart, since it's a catalog release, and they changed their chart rules a few years ago to rule that out. It could top their Catalog chart, and I'm sure it will.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 07:55

Actually, I think that's switched back 'round again and new catalogue releases are now put into the regular Billboard chart.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 08:20

TeddyB1018
Actually, I think that's switched back 'round again and new catalogue releases are now put into the regular Billboard chart.

I hope they did, because it made no sense to change it. Overall sales are overall sales after all.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:11

After i brough my copie, it was Sold out on Friday in my hometowns one of the bigger stores. There was only 1 double CD.
NO copys of Exile on Saturday in another 2 big stores.
Great job Universal, great job.

Date: May 19, 2010 10:19

rusty
After i brough my copie, it was Sold out on Friday in my hometowns one of the bigger stores. There was only 1 double CD.
NO copys of Exile on Saturday in another 2 big stores.
Great job Universal, great job.

Universal's goal is to move as many units as possible. Are you really sure it was their fault? Most catalog reissues aren't ordered in large quantities, if at all, these days by retailers. I'm sure individual stores are being caught off-guard with the demand for a 38-year-old album being reissued.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:53

It was the same with A Bigger Bang, CD/DVD.It's takes days to find a copie.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:00

The Target here in upstate NY has loads of copies of both the 2CD and single disc when I went to pick up my copy yesterday....

Date: May 19, 2010 17:51

Other news outlets are starting to pick up on the possibility of the Stones debuting at #1 on the charts.

"THE ROLLING STONES are set for their first No1 album since 1994's Voodoo Lounge"

Read more: [www.thesun.co.uk]

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 17:52 by James Kirk.

Date: May 19, 2010 18:12

More good news!

"The Rolling Stones are heading for their first No. 1 UK album in 16 years, with news that the much-anticipated reissue of 'Exile on Main Street"

[www.spinner.ca]

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:15

Looks as if they will make it in the UK

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: May 19, 2010 19:33

It's going to come down to the wire in the U.K. Faithless has cut the Stones lead to less than 1,000 from 1,600 yesterday in the U.K.

I'd hate to see the Stones lose out to another crappy band by a small number like they did to James Blunt went ABB came out. They lost the #1 spot by 11 albums in 2005. At least when 40 Licks came in second place by less than 1,000 sales they were behind Elvis.

How's this for depressing. The Stones could lose out the #1 spot in America to the cast of Glee. Billboard is saying that Glee will have anywhere from 80-100k in sales this week. The Stones have to be able to get over 100k to be sure of a #1 in the US. They could do it. 100K isn't an impossible number, but it will be tough.

Hey Mick, if your out there why don't you guys buying a few thousand records to be sure you will be #1 on both sides of the Atlanticsmiling smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2010 20:23

CMan
Can't hit Number One on the U.S. Billboard Top Albums chart, since it's a catalog release, and they changed their chart rules a few years ago to rule that out. It could top their Catalog chart, and I'm sure it will.

Actually it can - as a "re-entry".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2010 20:24

What was their last US #1 LP? I thought it was Tattoo You.

Date: May 19, 2010 20:38

Believe it or not it was "Tattoo You" in 1981.

I really want them to get to #1 in the States.

Date: May 19, 2010 21:27

Another thing to keep in mind is there are multiple versions of this release, and they all count separately on the Billboard charts.

For a sampling, here are the current sales rankings through Amazon US:

1) Exile (Deluxe)
18) Exile (Original)
22) Exile (Super Deluxe)

Date: May 19, 2010 21:32

ajc68
Another thing to keep in mind is there are multiple versions of this release, and they all count separately on the Billboard charts.

Billboard will count all the version together.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2010 21:49

If they do, as far as I'm aware they'll be the first act EVER to have number 1's in FIVE different decades. They'd have been looking at a sixth had they sold 12 more copies of 40 Licks in the first week in 2002 - unfortunately EMI in their infinite wisdom missed out on a sure thing by releasing it the same day as BMG released the "Elvis Number 1's CD.

Exile and Glee Cast for #1 - #2 in U.S (80k - 100k)
Date: May 19, 2010 19:15

"Presently—though it's early in the week—industry gurus seem to think the "Glee: Showstoppers" soundtrack will debut at No. 1, selling perhaps 80,000 to 100,000 copies by week's end on May 23. The cast of "Glee" notched its first No. 1 recently with "The Power of Madonna," when that seven-song mini-album arrived in the penthouse with 98,000. "Showstoppers" is the third proper full-length soundtrack from the hit Fox TV show. The first two volumes arrived in quick succession last November and December.

Another album looking for a high placement on the Billboard 200 next week is the Rolling Stones' lavish reissue of its 1972 album "Exile on Main Street." There's a chance that the set, which spent four weeks at No. 1 on the chart that year, could give the "Glee" album a run for its money for No. 1 next week."

Source: Billboard

Re: Exile and Glee Cast for #1 - #2 in U.S (80k - 100k)
Date: May 19, 2010 19:17

I will kill myself if Glee beats the Stones for the #1 spot.

Date: May 19, 2010 21:58

georgelicks
ajc68

Billboard will count all the version together.

Admittedly, I'm out of touch with the Billboard criteria. I know at some point they started counting double albums as double sales (which I don't like as you're buying one unit, not two or more), at least when certifying platinum. I don't know if they count as double on the charts.

Date: May 19, 2010 22:55

Sadly, the U.S. #1 can't be possible, but a #2 re-entry is IMPRESSIVE IMO.

GLEE WHIZ! LATEST COLLECTION TO BOW #1

May 19, 2010

Less than a month after topping the charts with The Power of Madonna, Columbia’s fourth, and latest Glee Cast album, Showstoppers, will debut at #1 on next week’s sales chart, sporting a total that could range between 110-120k.
That’s based on one-day sales numbers crunched by our crack team of retail experts.

The Rolling Stones’ much-ballyhooed UMe/Universal Republic deluxe reissue of their 1972 classic, Exile on Main St., is riding a massive wave of publicity and “making of” features to a #2 bow, with a nice total of 65-70k.

Nonesuch critical darlings The Black Keys’ new album, Brothers, its eighth in a career which started in 2002, looks headed for 55-60k, which would be the best of their career for the QPrime-managed Akron duo of vocalist/guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer/ producer Patrick Carney.

Universal Republic’s Nas and Damian Marley collaboration, Distant Relatives, could do as much as 45-50k.

Right behind it is Fat Possum/Columbia Americana alternarockers Band of Horses, who have relocated from Seattle back to their native South Carolina for Infinite Arms, their major label debut, which is set for a robust 40-45k in its first week.

Source: Hits

Re: Exile and Glee Cast for #1 - #2 in U.S (80k - 100k)
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2010 23:00

James Kirk
I will kill myself if Glee beats the Stones for the #1 spot.

Mick will live to regret that scripted joke about them on the Fallon Show. Maybe thousands of potential Exile-buyers had never heard of them before and rushed out to buy their album after he mentioned them.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 19, 2010 23:22

[www.guardian.co.uk]

This 10/10 review just published on Pitchfork will also help with the hipster demographic:

[pitchfork.com]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home