Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Why Do I Dislike Chuck Leavell?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:49

behroez
it's only about the image, that the average Stones fans (middle aged good citisans) don't even fill themselves, it is just nonsense, reallly.

you're not listening to half of the people in this thread! most people are saying they don't like his sound - you're the one who keeps mentioning his image.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Amused ()

getting a black piano player would be great. winking smiley

by the way, did Chuck ever meet Duane? he joined after his death but...

Posted by: StonesTod ()

The Greek
Beelyboy
i don't like him cause he promotes himself endlessly as a Stone, and he's nothing close. never will be. dosen't have it. everybody knows plink plink....he advertises himself as a Stone and as award winning tree farmer when he does canned hunts for the biggest spenders. they shoot caged birds. some tree farmer; butthe hypeis endless.... so.... 1. his playing. 2. his attitude. never fit. never will. makes paul schafer look like Picasso.
hitting it right on the head .paul schaffer has soul and really tickles the ivories .

let's ban TG, too. let's have a mass purge. we could even toss out T&A - he's been AWOL long enough as it is...

Date: May 18, 2010 22:51

StonesTod
can we ban cindy while we're asking for bans? she hardly ever posts anymore, anyway.

Hear Hear! She's a bee-yatch possessing little value.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:53

behroez
urbanjungle90
Chuck seems a nice guy from what I have read on this forum. I don't dislike his style, but its not the same as the other keyboard players they have had, eg Hopkins. Also, I feel he should use a real piano instead of his keyboard, which in my opinion produces a tinny sound.

I do, however, appreciate what he has done for the band, eg getting them to play rare songs.

Nicky Hopkins was vital in that time. And he is loved for the time and music he is connected with....However, if Nicky wouldn't have been there than (but some one else had), and a living Nicky Hopkins would (instead of Chuck) only have joined the Stones in the 1990's with potbelly, grey hair etc. most people would have pissed him off just like they do now Chuck, it's only about the image, that the average Stones fans (middle aged good citisans) don't even fill themselves, it is just nonsense, reallly.

i don't agree. i think image is maybe more mick's hang up than the fans themselves. peeps here loved when jimmy page, or keith for that matter, go total grey. keith is balding. i think he would be greeted, KNOW he would, IS with such love and reverence and respect and excitement. it's beyond the beatle hair dos at this point, andhas been fr awhile fair to say. chuck's 'karma' or 'rep' or whatever, is because of the way he carries himself, his self-important statements to press about his stoneship, and his plinky plink shit sound.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:56

I hate Chuck from a musical perspective - though I'm sure he played a great role in everything the Rolling Stones have done on stage during the last 20 years. And he's a professional & great player as well.....I'm supposed to say
But I hate the effin notes and scales he uses - he makes every song seem like a soap-opera; musically
It's very ironic....but it's the absolute truth; while I'm writing this right NOW, I'm listening to an Eric Clapton concert of 1990 - and the devil Chuck Leavell is doing a solo - he's ruining the whole feel and soul of "Old Love" - and turns the mood into a......well I don't know what; some kind of empty handed and soul-less tune.

When it comes to the Rolling Stones; I'm sure he's a real important factor in them touring at all. Why on earth would Jagger bother to continue touring if it wasn't for the soul-less & professional musicians that made up for Ronnie and Keith's "awful and drunk BUT "human" " guitar "playing".

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:01

Erik_Snow
I hate Chuck from a musical perspective - though I'm sure he played a great role in everything the Rolling Stones have done on stage during the last 20 years. And he's a professional & great player as well.....I'm supposed to say
But I hate the effin notes and scales he uses - he makes every song seem like a soap-opera; musically
It's very ironic....but it's the absolute truth; while I'm writing this right NOW, I'm listening to an Eric Clapton concert of 1990 - and the devil Chuck Leavell is doing a solo - he's ruining the whole feel and soul of "Old Love" - and turns the mood into a......well I don't know what; some kind of empty handed and soul-less tune.

When it comes to the Rolling Stones; I'm sure he's a real important factor in them touring at all. Why on earth would Jagger bother to continue touring if it wasn't for the soul-less & professional musicians that made up for Ronnie and Keith's "awful and drunk BUT "human" " guitar "playing".
what he said.
gosh i admire your courage and perspective soulful Erik.
!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:02

StonesTod
The Greek
Beelyboy
i don't like him cause he promotes himself endlessly as a Stone, and he's nothing close. never will be. dosen't have it. everybody knows plink plink....he advertises himself as a Stone and as award winning tree farmer when he does canned hunts for the biggest spenders. they shoot caged birds. some tree farmer; butthe hypeis endless.... so.... 1. his playing. 2. his attitude. never fit. never will. makes paul schafer look like Picasso.
hitting it right on the head .paul schaffer has soul and really tickles the ivories .

let's ban TG, too. let's have a mass purge. we could even toss out T&A - he's been AWOL long enough as it is...
mighty fine praise coming from you , that you want me banned for dare i say speaking the truth .in a nutshell what is sweeping our fine nation we must ban dissent we must all praise the almighty o .o wait a minute i am talking about something else it's like deja -vu .

Date: May 18, 2010 23:06

there's something just so funny about dissing one of the few musicians in the band who has his musical chops altogether (whether you like his style or not), while the principal guitar players play at about a 25%-of-capacity clip....

more cowbell...or something....

Date: May 18, 2010 23:09

StonesTod
there's something just so funny about dissing one of the few musicians in the band who has his musical chops altogether (whether you like his style or not), while the principal guitar players play at about a 25%-of-capacity clip....

true dat .

Date: May 18, 2010 23:19

The Greek
StonesTod

true dat .

cancel the banning

Date: May 18, 2010 23:22

CindyC
StonesTod
can we ban cindy while we're asking for bans? she hardly ever posts anymore, anyway.

Hear Hear! She's a bee-yatch possessing little value.

she's kinda like the chuck leavell of iorr

Date: May 18, 2010 23:27

sort of - but he has a cooler image.

Date: May 18, 2010 23:30

CindyC

hey! nothing that a little well-placed plastic surgery can't solve! be kind to yourself....

Date: May 18, 2010 23:30

I don't dislike him as a player..The people that hired him choose the right guy on the he wrong place.Just to mention one.

Date: May 18, 2010 23:32

StonesTod
CindyC

hey! nothing that a little well-placed plastic surgery can't solve! be kind to yourself....

I've already had my ankles thinned and vagina reduced - what more do you people want from me??

Date: May 18, 2010 23:34

oh? no more cankles? and a lesser bang, too? lesser bang? lester bangs? coincidence?

Date: May 18, 2010 23:39

Lest her bang?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:00

CindyC
StonesTod
CindyC

I've already had my ankles thinned and vagina reduced - what more do you people want from me??

Photos!

Date: May 19, 2010 00:03

oh crap i meant to edit that post before someone quoted it..

hehehe

Sorry - i'd like to send "before" photos, but we didn't have a panoramic camera at the time.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:14

what i like about Chuck:
2000 Light Years From Home, SW tour. magnificent!

what i dislike about Chuck:
1) toy piano sound on intro to Let's Spend the Night.
2) reminds me of Greg Brady. specifically from the Brady Bunch movie when he wanted to be a rock star and wrote that song that started... "clowns never laughed before". every time i see Chuck it reminds me of that song. drives me nuts! all i can do is picture him with a keyboard strapped around his neck chasing after Mick, singing the "clowns" song and asking if he can join the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 00:17 by josepi.

Date: May 19, 2010 00:18

josepi
"clowns never laughed before". every time i see Chuck it reminds me of that song.

Is this true? If so, that is a GREAT story - I'm sitting at my desk laughing at the thought of this. That was such a terrible song! HAHA

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:22

I'm glad to see there are some here who don't hate Chuck, like the Greek and Stones Todd....that's a fact Todd about Chuck being the one player except for Charlie and Mick who has real " musical chops"!! On a GOOD night Keith and Ronnie mess up ONLY 10 times!!

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:25

CindyC
josepi
"clowns never laughed before". every time i see Chuck it reminds me of that song.

Is this true? If so, that is a GREAT story - I'm sitting at my desk laughing at the thought of this. That was such a terrible song! HAHA

yep, every time i see Chuck that's all i can think about. drives me bonkers. very distracting. other than the toy piano sound on LSTNT, i probably wouldn't mind him.
not the Brady Bunch Movie version...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 00:28 by josepi.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:27

Beelyboy
gosh i admire your courage and perspective soulful Erik.
!!

Oh come on Beelyboy - you're lightyears ahead of me, mate
I realised that I'm not good with words at all - so I refrain from posting most of the time - and enjoy (AS WELL AS HATE!) what I read from other "iorr people"

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 19, 2010 00:28

Yeah, he's always been a bit "chicken-in-a-basket" for my tastes.

Date: May 19, 2010 00:29

mickschix
I'm glad to see there are some here who don't hate Chuck, like the Greek and Stones Todd....that's a fact Todd about Chuck being the one player except for Charlie and Mick who has real " musical chops"!! On a GOOD night Keith and Ronnie mess up ONLY 10 times!!

i'm not sure what it is - but i find it odd that there seems to almost be a celebration atmosphere about how many eff-ups ronnie and keith play, like that's somehow a "good thing." rawness and unpredictability are great trademarks of the classic stones sound, but screw-ups? i don't think so. say what you will about chuck and it's fine if you don't like his style or whatever - the guy is a consummate pro and he takes his job as a professional musician a helluva lot more seriously than either of our "heroes" does anymore. he seems to care more about the stones sound, too...but, yeah let's go ahead and rail him outta town....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 00:31 by StonesTod.

Date: May 19, 2010 00:46

Liberace was supposed to be a great piano player, probably better than Chuck. Too bad he wasn't available - I bet he wouldn't make any mistakes and therefore would be a perfect fit - because that's what I look for in a band.

Date: May 19, 2010 00:53

CindyC
Liberace was supposed to be a great piano player, probably better than Chuck. Too bad he wasn't available - I bet he wouldn't make any mistakes and therefore would be a perfect fit - because that's what I look for in a band.

yeah, but he died a coupla years before the modern stones launched their vegas act. chuck was the next best available player.

Date: May 19, 2010 00:56

Maybe you're right - plus he probably would have tried to make Ronnie is cabana boy and force him to have lots of plastic surgery to look like little Liberace. Ronnie probably would have done it too - he loses his senses when he's in love.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1650
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home