Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Why Do I Dislike Chuck Leavell?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:33

Zack
Have you people ever listened to Brothers and Sisters by the Allman Brothers?

Just asking.

I don't understand how his playing with the Allman Brothers is relevant to his playing with the Stones. The argument is not whether or not he played well with the Allman Brothers a long time ago, it's whether he fits - or is good for - The Rolling Stones. Next time I hear him playing a solo with the Stones that I don't like, am I supposed to go immediately get an Allman Brothers record so I can appreciate him more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 20:07 by 71Tele.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:45

71Tele
Zack
Have you people ever listened to Brothers and Sisters by the Allman Brothers?

Just asking.

I don't understand how his playing with the Allman Brothers is relevant to his playing with the Stones. The argument is not whether or not he played well with the Allman Brothers a long time ago, it's whetehr he fits - or is good for - The Rolling Stones. Next time I hear him playing a solo with the Stones that I don't like, am I supposed to go immediately get an Allman Brothers record so I can appreciate him more?
No,but the next time you hear Ronnie or Keith hit a bum note,you might want to.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:45

when i posted this thread earlier i should of said why do i dislike his playing. i don't hate the guy just think what he plays sounds robotic.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:36

skipstone
There's no dirt to it, there's no soul to it, it's all tinkly pretty clean .

dirt - perfect word to describe what is missing. I agree with what you write.

He does seem like a nice guy, so I don't mean to diss him, but the chemistry is just wrong.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:37

Listen to a real grand piano and Nicky H - that makes a big difference.
I don't disklike Chuck, but I don't like his playing and use of piano.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:48

mtaylor
I don't disklike Chuck, but I don't like his playing and use of piano.

that's like saying i don't dislike shakespeare, i just don't like his writing and his use of the written word.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:45

CindyC
skipstone
There's no dirt to it, there's no soul to it, it's all tinkly pretty clean .

dirt - perfect word to describe what is missing. I agree with what you write.

He does seem like a nice guy, so I don't mean to diss him, but the chemistry is just wrong.

Maybe Chuck should hit a bottle of Jack before Stones' gigs. Helps 'tinkly pretty clean' technique fly right out the window!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:55

plink ,plink and plunk .

Date: May 18, 2010 20:57

mickschix
You're forgetting Skip that the Stones are white boys....playing black blues...so to be technical, they are copying the sounds of black singers...doing it damn well, for sure but you get my point.
As far as Chuck being authentic, we can go back and forth all day about whether or not he's qualified to play with the Stones. I do know what you mean about the " clean" playing and I do agree with that. He will never be that boogie-woogie soulful Stu because he's not STU. I just wonder who would be overall such a fit with the Stones.
TumblinDice, that was an astute comment!! Stu sure did not " fit" as far as appearances go. He looked like a construction worker or a lorry driver! If folks don't like Chuck because of how he LOOKS, that's not relevant and it's so superficial.
bill payne from little feat ,not that he wants the job because he is with little feat ,but he can sure do the boogie woogie thing just like stu!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:58

Chuck seems a nice guy from what I have read on this forum. I don't dislike his style, but its not the same as the other keyboard players they have had, eg Hopkins. Also, I feel he should use a real piano instead of his keyboard, which in my opinion produces a tinny sound.

I do, however, appreciate what he has done for the band, eg getting them to play rare songs.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:21

Where's the plink, plink thread? The funniest ever.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:26

Why?..do fans? bad mouth The Stones and other menbers of the band for..all the time..Why smoking smiley?....@#$%&

Date: May 18, 2010 21:27

colonial
Why?..do fans? bad mouth The Stones and other menbers of the band for..all the time..Why smoking smiley?....@#$%&

to irritate folks like you?

did i guess right?

Date: May 18, 2010 21:33

colonial

Wot?? Wot? That's not English, Keith. That's like Esperonto or some language twin teach each other.

Date: May 18, 2010 21:42

StonesTod..No..ya guessed wrong actually it doesnt irriate me really I just cant understand it..all this bad mouthing and criticism at The Stones all the time..coming from their fan club of all places.

Date: May 18, 2010 21:57

colonial
StonesTod..No..ya guessed wrong actually it doesnt irriate me really I just cant understand it..all this bad mouthing and criticism at The Stones all the time..coming from their fan club of all places.

it's not bashing -it's caring - and who better to care than their most ardent fans?

Date: May 18, 2010 22:02

StonesTod..Caring?................oOK.smoking smiley?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:10

i don't like him cause he promotes himself endlessly as a Stone, and he's nothing close. never will be. dosen't have it. everybody knows plink plink....he advertises himself as a Stone and as award winning tree farmer when he does canned hunts for the biggest spenders. they shoot caged birds. some tree farmer; butthe hypeis endless.... so.... 1. his playing. 2. his attitude. never fit. never will. makes paul schafer look like Picasso.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:16

Beelyboy
i don't like him cause he promotes himself endlessly as a Stone, and he's nothing close. never will be. dosen't have it. everybody knows plink plink....he advertises himself as a Stone and as award winning tree farmer when he does canned hunts for the biggest spenders. they shoot caged birds. some tree farmer; butthe hypeis endless.... so.... 1. his playing. 2. his attitude. never fit. never will. makes paul schafer look like Picasso.

how do you like his goat-tee and general hairstyle?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:21

I must admit I was awful...oh wait, I meant to say I must admit this is incredibly FUNNY how this thread has (d)evolved!

Date: May 18, 2010 22:24

StonesTod
Beelyboy

how do you like his goat-tee and general hairstyle?

oh he's quite the looker! those show biz people i tell ya. hepster like. he's 'hep' and his clothes speak the man. a rock and roll 'hepster' right here. looks sharp man

Posted by: mega ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:25

Bjornulf, please shut this topic? I find it unbelievable that people can open a topi c with this title/subject. In my opinion, all this is very, very unpolite.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: May 18, 2010 22:32

ghostryder13
i'm not a musician but his playing it sounds so un natural. is it his playing style or is it the keyboards he uses? i know nothing much about him but seems like the guy belives he is an official member of the stones.

If you listen to the Stones live on stage, you'll notice how important Chuck's contribution is, and how empty it will sound without him, so he's got some right (at least i think so) to consider himself a Rolling Stone. He really is a damn good musician and much more vital for the Stones than many of you seem to realise. I personally think that people only dislike him because he has some resemblance with James Last, and that doesn't fit the Stones bad guy image, but so does sir Green Tea Jagger not fit that image anymore, nor do you old 50 plus good citicans of the state. Time to grow up lads.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:33

mega
Bjornulf, please shut this topic? I find it unbelievable that people can open a topi c with this title/subject. In my opinion, all this is very, very unpolite.

bv, i didn't like this post of his. could you ban him please?

Date: May 18, 2010 22:39

Chuck is great you really don't realise how empty they would sound on stage without Chuck.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:40

oh yes we do

Date: May 18, 2010 22:40

behroez

If you listen to the Stones live on stage, you'll notice how important Chuck's contribution is, and how empty it will sound without him,

I agree that it would sound empty with out a piano, but it doesn't necessarily need to be Chuck filling that hole. I know a lot of people like him and are used to him, but personally, i think there's someone else out there who could fill the hole with a better fit.

It's fantastic that he suggests lesser-played songs, but he can still play that role without being their piano player.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:43

can we ban cindy while we're asking for bans? she hardly ever posts anymore, anyway.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:46

urbanjungle90
Chuck seems a nice guy from what I have read on this forum. I don't dislike his style, but its not the same as the other keyboard players they have had, eg Hopkins. Also, I feel he should use a real piano instead of his keyboard, which in my opinion produces a tinny sound.

I do, however, appreciate what he has done for the band, eg getting them to play rare songs.

Nicky Hopkins was vital in that time. And he is loved for the time and music he is connected with....However, if Nicky wouldn't have been there than (but some one else had), and a living Nicky Hopkins would (instead of Chuck) only have joined the Stones in the 1990's with potbelly, grey hair etc. most people would have pissed him off just like they do now Chuck, it's only about the image, that the average Stones fans (middle aged good citisans) don't even fill themselves, it is just nonsense, reallly.

Date: May 18, 2010 22:47

Beelyboy
hitting it right on the head .paul schaffer has soul and really tickles the ivories .

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home