Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Taylor about music and booze in Finland
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2010 22:08

Nice girlfriend btw.

Re: Taylor about music and booze in Finland
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2010 22:20

Bloody hell, never seen this before! It is quite remarkable because it is the biggest commercial TV channel of Finland and their main news programme of the evening from which the clip is taken. Taylor is interviewed in the town where I happen to live...(I was abroad at the time of Taylor's presence and when this news programme was broadcasted).

It is Taylor's second Finnsih Tour with Wentus Blues Band and seemingly Taylor has already noticed something about Finnish drinking habits...

If anyone wants, I can translate the Finnish parts.

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2010 22:21

Doxa
Bloody hell, never seen this before! It is quite remarkable because it is the biggest commercial TV channel of Finland and their main news programme of the evening from which the clip is taken. Taylor is interviewed in the town where I happen to live...(I was abroad at the time of Taylor's presence and when this news programme was broadcasted).

It is Taylor's second Finnsih Tour with Wentus Blues Band and seemingly Taylor has already noticed something about Finnish drinking habits...

If anyone wants, I can translate the Finnish parts.

- Doxa

Shoot!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 18, 2010 01:13

What the He.. I can't understand a word they're saying. Is that Russikan or Finlandian or Spotsylvanian!?! Don't they realize nobody savvys that Lingo anymore? Why don't they just talk American like everyone else? ( BTW I'd like to see that blond newscaster naked )

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: May 18, 2010 04:56

Back in the '90s, I was listening to a radio program on shortwave radio (I can't recall if it was the BBC or Radio Netherlands International. Anyway, I was listening to a linguistics program and they said that Finnish was considered, along with Madarin & Cantonese Chinese, to be the hardest language to learn. Perhaps that's why listening to Finnish programming was so strange an experience for you. I've listened to Radio Helsinki when they've been speaking in Finn and it is fascinating to listen to.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 13:30

I have been described as a cunninglinguist, and I have worked many a tongue twister as well. And yes, I too have read that Finnish is considered one of the most difficult languages in the world. SEveral dialects of Vietnamese, Russian, Mandarin, and written Sanskrit, amazing stuff!

Date: May 18, 2010 14:09

Haello dox, ehkä voit antaa lyhyt käännös suomen kielestä? smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2010 14:17

I cannot understand what it is so difficult in Finnish Language... >grinning smiley<

For example, the language does not make a difference between sexes; there is no feminine or masculin. When English has two words - "he" and "she" - to refer to a certain person, we have only one word: "hän". So it is no big wonder that sexual equality is in our blood... I was once asked that how one then knows if the person in question is a woman or a man, I said: what difference does it make to know that?

- Doxa

Date: May 18, 2010 14:36

Tämä ei vie meitä enää Doxa ....winking smiley

Date: May 18, 2010 14:51

Amsterdamned
Haello dox, ehkä voit antaa lyhyt käännös suomen kielestä? smiling smiley

Surely, man!

First, the news lady speaks of the recent happenings to "lovers of guitar music" - like Stray Cats playing that night in Helsinki - and the news guy says: "At the same time the ex-Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor starts his second Finnish tour in Finland. We met him today in Tampere."

Then starts the clip, and we see Taylor walking by the Tammer river..

"This 56 year old old gentleman is Mick Taylor - the guitarist of The Rolling Stones from 1969 to 1974. Taylor is to be seen for the second time touring our land. The big stadiums of the past years have changed into the intimic blues clubs and festivals."

- Then Taylor speaks of blues music and its popularity -

Back to Finnsih:

"The idea to get Taylor to Finland has come from a small band from Kouvola [refering to Wentus Blues Band] - a band that has played with many other big names [thumbs up]as well"

Then Niko Riippa (guitarist of Wentus) talks: "Louisiana Red, Eddie Kirkland, Kim Wilson, Jukka Tolonen, Eero Raittinen... many of them".
Robban Hagnäs (the Wentus bassist): "We are just kind of invited them here; there's nothing more dramatical as that."

Riippa continues: "It is a part of the blues scene to make these kind of jamming happenings. The framework is not such strict as it is with pop or rock scenes. Here one can jam more."

"As much has Taylor has seen Finns already that his invation for the people to come to listen to the blues goes in a following way"[x]

- Then Taylor speaks of the people not drinking too much... >grinning smiley<-

[x] there is a sarcasm involved here - referring to the quite well-known drinking habits of Finnish people.drinking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 14:57 by Doxa.

Date: May 18, 2010 15:01

Kiitos käännöstä.! Terveisiä Amsterdam(ned).thumbs up

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 18, 2010 23:40

Doxa
I cannot understand what it is so difficult in Finnish Language... >grinning smiley<

For example, the language does not make a difference between sexes; there is no feminine or masculin. When English has two words - "he" and "she" - to refer to a certain person, we have only one word: "hän". So it is no big wonder that sexual equality is in our blood... I was once asked that how one then knows if the person in question is a woman or a man, I said: what difference does it make to know that?

- Doxa
Doxa..How do ya get on when ya filling out a application form for a job or something in Finland.How would they know if it was a male or female applying for the job if ya just use (han) for both sexes? lol

Date: May 19, 2010 10:43

colonial
Doxa

- Doxa
Doxa..How do ya get on when ya filling out a application form for a job or something in Finland.How would they know if it was a male or female applying for the job if ya just use (han) for both sexes? lol

Well, what does it matter, unless you are applying a job as a gay bar stripper or something (and in that case, I think the job announcement actually states the preferred sex...)?eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:53

Doxa
colonial
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, what does it matter, unless you are applying a job as a gay bar stripper or something (and in that case, I think the job announcement actually states the preferred sex...)?eye rolling smileyDoxa..hmm..OK..Cheers mate

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:38

Amsterdamned

Heavens, Amsterdamned! At first I doubted if you were British or Dutch. Your English wasn't good enough to being British and your Dutch too bad to being Dutch. But now you finally turn out to be Finnish! smileys with beer (O no, no alcohol for Finnish guys winking smiley).

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:59

ureted vereda forsthsta ......

Date: May 20, 2010 11:34

kleermaker
Amsterdamned

Heavens, Amsterdamned! At first I doubted if you were British or Dutch. Your English wasn't good enough to being British and your Dutch too bad to being Dutch. But now you finally turn out to be Finnish! smileys with beer (O no, no alcohol for Finnish guys winking smiley).

By the way, Finland has been treated with the best weather in Europe for a week now... the sun is shining and almost +30 degrees. cool smiley

A good reason to have a few cold beers now...smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 11:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2010 12:01

Doxa
kleermaker
Amsterdamned

By the way, Finland has been treated with the best weather in Europe for a week now... the sun is shining and almost +30 degrees. cool smiley

A good reason to have a few cold beers now...smileys with beer

- Doxa

Yeah, you guys have always a good excuse to drinkwinking smiley. When it's cold you say: Let's have a drink to warm ourselves up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home