Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Old Songs With New Vocals Leave Bad Taste
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:54

I bought just the Target Rarities Edition (with just the 10 songs), and I really like the new/old songs.

The backing tracks have an analog softness that takes me back. It sounds so much less pristine than ABB and other recent efforts. If they could capture the muse and sound and put together another record like this one instead of trying too hard to rock out on formulaic songs, I'd be pumped.

It makes a nice short album of its own, it feels like an old friend, and I didn't know any of these backing tracks before hand. With repeated listens, Mick's vocals don't feel too overworked to me.

T@3

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 08:11

stonesseventytwo
I totally agree with rssr. This "re-release" is some kind of anachronistic BS. Even Keith was opposed to "painting a new smile on the Mona Lisa" as he put it. The people who like this obvioulsy are too young to have lived through the original Exile.
i like the new stuff but wtf are you talking about? do you get some kind of badge for being old enough to buy the album in 72? or does it mean you were hanging out with the stones during the recording of the album? i was five yrs old in 72 but that doesn't make me any less of a stones fan. put the bong down and get real

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 08:30

Eleanor Rigby
what is a "true Stones fan" ? I think it's simply his opinion.

I don't mind the new songs, great to have them in a day when the Stones are really doing nothing! Micks voice reminds me too much of his recent solo stuff....but i can live with it.

I love this stuff...even Plundered My Soul. It would have been worthy of a proper release on a Tattoo You II, but that's just me. As for sounding like his solo stuff, thankfully I never listened to any of it...so I have nothing to compare this stuff to!

Having so many Stones boots, I always wished they would just rework their leftovers into new songs...and this is the reason why.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:39

Since 1997 MJ oversings, but i like it (even love it). Since Talk is Cheap, KR's guitar playing has become very very simple, always the same tricks and lixks, and always the same solo................. since Dirty Work, RW licks are almost lost, even more in live situatios...................
BUT THIS IS WHAT RS ARE ABOUT IN 2010

I prefer this than NO RS

RS for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:11

TeddyB1018
Really? Some of the vocals are better than others but Dancing in the Light has an especially good one from Mick in the spirit of the 70's.

I agree - this may have been discussed on another thread but... when did he write the lyrics to this one? This seems more like the kind of thing he was writing in the later part of the 70's.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:14

Mick has said he has loads of notebooks etc so maybe he found some of them from that time? I find that difficult to believe but one never knows.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 24, 2010 02:48

Where are the steel drums on Loving Cup? Ahhhh - they're only on the LP version.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:07

...well according to the official UK charts this week...so much for the title of this thread...

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home