Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Old Songs With New Vocals Leave Bad Taste
Posted by: Matt ()
Date: May 18, 2010 16:42

Even if they sound quite good, you can't call them outtakes or leftovers, since they were not. To be classified as an outtake it means the songs should have been completed, but, for whatever reasons, not made it for the final release of the actual album. To be honest there are not very many "real" outtakes, whoever the group or artist is, that are very good. There must have been a reason why they were left out in the first place. I remember the discussions here when A Bigger Bang was released. Many said that the album could have been much better with 10-12 songs instead. If it had been, would we have appreciated the leftovers more when released separately many years later? I don't think so. I think Stones made it the right way. They took quite good songs from that era, and did a few overdubs to make them even better. They are not real outtakes, but in my opinion better than outtakes normally are.
Mats

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:03

I totally agree with rssr. This "re-release" is some kind of anachronistic BS. Even Keith was opposed to "painting a new smile on the Mona Lisa" as he put it. The people who like this obvioulsy are too young to have lived through the original Exile.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:08

stonesseventytwo
I totally agree with rssr. This "re-release" is some kind of anachronistic BS. Even Keith was opposed to "painting a new smile on the Mona Lisa" as he put it. The people who like this obvioulsy are too young to have lived through the original Exile.
truer words have never been written.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:10

stonesseventytwo
AGREED! Your tastes are clearly much more refined than the rest of us.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:11

Maybe if the subject title of this thread said Old Songs With New Vocals Leave Awful Bad Taste you might get a little more humour out of it at least.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:20

ghostryder13
expecting a man near 70 to sing like he did when he was 28 is ridiculous.

precisely, which is why his grafting new vox on songs from 40 years ago is ridiculous.

Date: May 18, 2010 17:26

StonesTod
ghostryder13

precisely, which is why his grafting new vox on songs from 40 years ago is ridiculous.
ST, sounds like you'd much prefer "ABB II - The Wrath of Bill Wyman"

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:27

Keith was referring to Exile itself, not to partially finished tracks that were never officially released. Would I have preferred 20 or 30 completely finished songs from the Exile era that are every bit as good as the original 18 songs? Of course. But they don't exist. As it is, I'm thrilled to be able to hear 10 previously unreleased songs, even if parts of them are new.

I totally get it that some people don't like what was done. And I wish Mick and Keith still could sing and play like they did when they were in their twenties. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get, especially this late in the game.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:30

stonesseventytwo

Yeah,the evil curse of the late birth...blessed are those who breathed the original Exile.

Date: May 18, 2010 17:33

treaclefingers
StonesTod
ghostryder13

ST, sounds like you'd much prefer "ABB II - The Wrath of Bill Wyman"

haven't had a chance to listen to that one yet, TF....but i'll take any of billy's RK albums over ABB I....

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:35

he sings GREAT. Plundered my soul, followin the river and pass the wine especially

Date: May 18, 2010 17:36

shortfatfanny
stonesseventytwo

Yeah,the evil curse of the late birth...blessed are those who breathed the original Exile.

MAYBE, this is truly an EXILE thing, and people are going to bitch NOW, about how much they don't like the album, only in 5 years to proclaim that the reissue deluxe is the BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME.
Man, you'd think the old geezers that bought EXILE the first time around would have figured that out.
Probably memory loss from too many drugs...it was the era!>grinning smiley<smileys with beer

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:40

Why can't the songs on the second disc be treated on their merits? Does it really make any difference whether they are slightly, partially or mostly new? To be fair, if Don Was discovered a complete track from Exile, it still wouldn't sound like it was from '72 due to the need to master the track using contemporary equipment.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:41

jamesfdouglas
I thought I would, but after hearing them, I don't.

that's exactly how i feel

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:44

stonesseventytwo
. The people who like this obvioulsy are too young to have lived through the original Exile.

what generalised nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-18 17:53 by Gazza.

Date: May 18, 2010 17:47

Father Ted
Why can't the songs on the second disc be treated on their merits? Does it really make any difference whether they are slightly, partially or mostly new? To be fair, if Don Was discovered a complete track from Exile, it still wouldn't sound like it was from '72 due to the need to master the track using contemporary equipment.

that's a fair argument...and they prolly should be judged solely on musical merits. unfortunately for folks like me who think mick has lost his way as a vocalist, they fail on that basis in most cases, too....

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:49

I was only 17 and not buying bootlegs when Tattoo You came out -- was it known among collectors at that time that some of these tracks were old?

What circulated waaaaaaay back then?

Date: May 18, 2010 17:52

redsock
I was only 17 and not buying bootlegs when Tattoo You came out -- was it known among collectors at that time that some of these tracks were old?

yep. some of the tunes had been widely circulating in earlier incarations for years.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:53

StonesTod
Father Ted

that's a fair argument...and they prolly should be judged solely on musical merits. unfortunately for folks like me who think mick has lost his way as a vocalist, they fail on that basis in most cases, too....

I haven't listened to the whole of disc 2 yet but of the tracks I have heard, I thought MJ's vox were acceptable.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 18, 2010 17:54

I'm with you rusrr. I am especially left cold when I listen to the tracks side by side to the old bootlegs.

To me, it almost seems like they are putting out a new album. The songs are too polished, I have not liked Mick's vocal stylings since Bridges.

On the other hand..............I love the fact we have something real to talk about!

Date: May 18, 2010 18:00

Cafaro
On the other hand..............I love the fact we have something real to talk about!

ain't that the truth?! now if we could just get folks to accept that valid criticisms are not tantamount to a personal affront...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2010 18:35

StonesTod
Cafaro

ain't that the truth?! now if we could just get folks to accept that valid criticisms are not tantamount to a personal affront...

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:03

If you were a wine connoisseur and someone poured Orange Snapple into your bottle of 1972 Chateau de Roquecorbe you would be pissed off, wouldn't you ? That is what this re-release of Exile is. The Stones were once a great rock and roll band but they are just like a bottle of Snapple nowadays. I can't drink it.sad smiley

Date: May 18, 2010 19:07

stonesseventytwo
If you were a wine connoisseur and someone poured Orange Snapple into your bottle of 1972 Chateau de Roquecorbe you would be pissed off, wouldn't you ? That is what this re-release of Exile is. The Stones were once a great rock and roll band but they are just like a bottle of Snapple nowadays. I can't drink it.sad smiley

orange you just wishing you could just snapple your fingers and snapple out of it?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:13

...I dunno...Snapple's pretty effen good.

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:22

StonesTod
redsock

yep. some of the tunes had been widely circulating in earlier incarations for years.

what was the response? was it thought the stones were recycling leftovers?

(of course, finishing up "slave" 5 or 6 years after it was first recorded is a bit different than doing something 38 years later ...)

the re-done songs are okay. i'm glad they exist and i can play them or ignore them as i like. but I *still* want a few CDs of Exile outtakes and alternate/longer versions of the 18 songs!!!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 18, 2010 19:52

Plundered My Soul could have been a great track if it wasn't for Jagger's vocals. However, it is still well worth listening to musically, especially for Taylor's guitar playing, and even after repeated listens Jagger's vocals can begin to seem not quite that bad. Following The River, however, is a track i find completely impossible to appreciate despite the fact i think the song is really quite strong. I believe the focus of this track is definitely Mick's voice, and without many distractions i find it terribly irritating.

I agree with Cafaro in the view that Mick's vocal styling has not been to my taste since around the Bridges To Babylon period, although i started to have problems with his vocals a little on Voodoo Lounge and Stripped also. I think the track New Faces was the first time i had really noticed his thin and nasally voice, and felt irritated by it, although tracks like Love Is Strong still displayed plenty of rawness and a power which has diminished drastically in the years that have followed.

Posted by: russr ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:01

Here's the irony about new vocals versus old:

I think Mick -- even nearing 70 -- is a far better singer today than he ever was in terms of just the pure instrument.

He clearly works hard at keeping his vocal chops at top condition and you can hear it especially in concert how good he sounds.

But his enunciation and phrasing have started leaning towards parody.

And That's the part that doesn't jive with the old tracks....

for me.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 21:02

How many of the vocals are new? I'm only up to Following the River so far, but they all sound new to me, although some of them are certainly styled after the EOMS songs, but the sound of Mick's voice itself up to FTR certainly sounds 2010, and not 1971. Anyone know?

Date: May 18, 2010 21:04

i think he's lost his instincts as a singer...the quality of his voice isn't the issue for me....his 2010 instincts don't JIBE with 40-year-old tracks....

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home