Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New/Old Exile Leftovers Prove Tape Is Still Best
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:22

I really do hope that if the Stones indeed record a new record they use analog tape first for bottoms and then upload it to Pro Tools for whatever, editing. They could load the edits onto tape and use those for overdubs, then load those to Pro Tools to do final edits.

The Exile Rarities disc proves that. It SOUNDS good. And they at least transferred the multi-track masters to Pro Tools to do additional recording. And it's probable that they used tube equipment for pre-amps etc to keep the sound as true as possible while recording to digital.

Or digital has gotten even better than when they did Bang.

Either way - and even the new Drive-By Truckers album The Big To-Do (as all of their albums are) was done on 16 track 2 inch analog - tape sounds best.

The Stones first used 24 tracks for...Undercover? I know they were still using 16 tracks for Some Girls (and since they used leftovers for ER, that was obviously 16 tracks). There needs to be a thread about that. That would be a fun thread, a sort of history of their recording techniques over the years.

Re: New/Old Exile Leftovers Prove Tape Is Still Best
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:52

skipstone
That would be a fun thread, a sort of history of their recording techniques over the years.
Agree! Loved that Don Was interview that gave us a glimpse into the recording process. Remembered those old articles about the recordings in Paris and all that. Interresting stuff all of it. Would be great with more!

Date: May 21, 2010 22:14

We have the bit from whoever about Some Girls, with the links to how the studio was laid out and I think about Clearmountain mixing Tattoo You somewhere. Liner notes of Black And Blue, whether they are the actual charts or not, pretty much show that they did not use all 16 tracks. What I'm not positive about is when they stopped just using 8 and went to 16. And so on.

I think I remember reading in some magazine hundreds of years ago about Keith complaining about 24 tracks being used for Undercover because he griped about how that gave credence for someone to do more overdubbing. I know Kimsey used some ambient mics in various parts of the room to capture room sounds (as so perfectly exampled on Tie You Up).

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:03

can't see the stones needing more than 24 tracks to record with doubt they use 16. from what i've always gathered the band basically records together live in the studio then overdubs later where quite a few bands will record their parts seperately which tends to use alot of tracks

Date: May 21, 2010 23:07

Well, sometimes several mics are used on things. For example, two mics on the snare drum, two on Keith's amp, two on Ronnie's, plus if they're slaving to other amps those are recorded as well to be brought up in the mix (like they did on Love Is Strong). So you get through all of that and you've essentially maxed out 16 tracks and get into the next 8, where percussion and various backing vocals. With Pro Tools you can record as many tracks as you want of course. Perhaps if they had a limit, ha ha, production wise (ie tape) they'd make, I dunno, a better album than the previous 5 at least?

Or at least a better sounding album.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:57

Having lots of tracks available is really useful, aside from overdubs. Each guitar would probably need 3 tracks (1 dry signal from DI and at least two close-up mics). Mics are doubled in case one blows up during the take. Can you imagine telling Keith or Charlie "well that was ace but the mic blew up, can you play that again?" ? Also they may use additional mics, farther from the amp, to catch a bit of the room's feel. The dry signal is an additional security in case in later stages (mixing) you realize the amp sound was not appropriate - it will be sent to another amp for reamping.

Date: May 24, 2010 00:07

Yeah - DI for acoustic - and that's most likely not true with the Stones. I've never read that anywhere. And no DI for electric. At least with the Stones. Def Leppard maybe.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: May 24, 2010 00:13

The Stones are listed customers of Reamp - the DI just "copies" the dry signal to a separate track while the guitar is plugged on the amp. But nevermind, my point was that you can use a lot of tracks even in a live recording setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-24 00:15 by gwen.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 05:28

point taken . plus on multitrack recordings there can be alot of stuff not used in the final mix . for example an alternare vocal or lead guitar.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: May 24, 2010 09:17

I'd like to see the Stones go back and record an album in mono using vintage equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home