Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Fool To Cry
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 8, 2023 14:53

Fool to Cry is probably my most least listened to of their top-ten hits, definitely. Whilst I certainly don't dislike the track, it really isn't a song I'd ever pick out to hear specifically. I probably last heard it a couple of years back, when I listened to Black & Blue in its entirety for - I think - the first time, ever; at least properly. I've owned the album for years, but always skipped Cherry o Baby and Melody! I don't particularly care for Melody Motel either.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 8, 2023 15:27

Yes, it´s a very strange song. And a strange album. But I´m strange too. And would probably pick Between the buttons and Goats head soup when I jump on the ship to my dear desert island. And Dirty work. Memories. Memories. smiling smiley

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 8, 2023 17:59

One of the songs I didn’t gravitate to as much when I was young and rebellious, now I play it often, especially when I’m driving passengers, mellow enough yet with a groove to keep everyone happy

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 8, 2023 19:44

Love that song ! The falsetto, the chorus, the keys, the "stop"...

Interestingly it sounds a bit like a Don Covay song from 1973, "I Was Checking Out She Was Checking In"

[youtu.be]

You'd be forgiven to think it was Mick singing that song ;-) In fact on the endless "Invitation" outtake from 1985 it was long thought that Mick was singing with Womack and Keith when it was in fact Covay.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 9, 2023 05:40

I think I saw Bernard sing this in London with the Tim Ries band at a club concert, when the Stones played at the O2.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 9, 2023 13:17

I was waiting so long to hear this song live: In Berlin I got it:

Date: July 9, 2023 15:23

Love that Berlin version - from what is their last, so far, concert. Let's hope it ain't the last! And when I am in the mood, Memory Motel is great - especially Keith's lines. But we most all bow in abeyance to the queen of all riffs that us NEGRITA!

Date: July 9, 2023 16:53

Being in berlin hearing the soundcheck from far and not knowing it was fool to cry or memory motel at first…

Was one hell of a performance. Whole show was amazing.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 9, 2023 18:55

One of their most under appreciated songs. I love the live version from Berlin last year. Would love to see it performed in person if the band ever go on the road again.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 10, 2023 19:03

Silver Dagger
marcovandereijk
Was Fool to cry the first song ever that Mick played an instrument on on stage?

(Not counting the harmonica and all sorts of percussions, of course).

Almost certainly. I know that he played a guitar at some Danish gig rehearsal in 1970 but 99 per cent sure the string synth was his first live instrument.

No, he also played guitar during the 1975 TOTA tour. There are some pictures out there. After all, he palyed maracas, harmonica, acoustic and electric guitar, and keyboards.

Fool to cry was a highlight on the 1976 Tour of Europe. Among all theses 'rockers' it was a touching moment in the middle of a concert.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 10, 2023 19:41

saltoftheearth
Silver Dagger
marcovandereijk

Almost certainly. I know that he played a guitar at some Danish gig rehearsal in 1970 but 99 per cent sure the string synth was his first live instrument.

No, he also played guitar during the 1975 TOTA tour. There are some pictures out there. After all, he palyed maracas, harmonica, acoustic and electric guitar, and keyboards.

Fool to cry was a highlight on the 1976 Tour of Europe. Among all theses 'rockers' it was a touching moment in the middle of a concert.

He played guitar on Fingerprint File if I am not wrong.

C

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 10, 2023 21:25

A song I could take or leave when first discovering the Stones, but a song I love now (along with the whole Black&Blue album - even Cherry Oh Baby).

Fool to Cry - The vocals, the melody, something sublime about it. As mentioned above, sounded wonderful in '76 on stage.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 10, 2023 22:35

Nice guitar tutorials by that youtuber.

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2023 19:29

IrelandCalling4
A song I could take or leave when first discovering the Stones, but a song I love now (along with the whole Black&Blue album - even Cherry Oh Baby).

Fool to Cry - The vocals, the melody, something sublime about it. As mentioned above, sounded wonderful in '76 on stage.

I used to loathe Cherry Oh Baby and Melody.

Heard the original of Cherry Oh Baby and thought, HOLY CRAP, and it gave me a new appreciation for the Stones version, which made the original sound genius, because the Stones are so bad at reggae except for Keith: can hear how they want to be good but it doesn't quite make it.

Then there's the whole thing with how they ripped him off with Melody, which is actually a really cool tune.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 11, 2023 21:30

liddas
saltoftheearth
Silver Dagger
marcovandereijk

He played guitar on Fingerprint File if I am not wrong.

C

Yes, that's correct, Ronnie played bass and Bill played some synthesizers...and probably complained about it somewhere ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-11 21:33 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home