Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: John Lennon- anthology boxset
Date: May 9, 2010 20:52

thoughts on this set. worth the $60+ bucks you have to pay for it?

Re: OT: John Lennon- anthology boxset
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 9, 2010 21:06

It's an interesting listen, and there are some musical standouts for sure. But, much like the Beatles anthology, this could have made a far more listenable 2 or 3 disc set IMO. But if you're a hardcore Lennon fan, it's worth it.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 9, 2010 21:13

Serve Yourself is outstanding!

N

Date: May 9, 2010 21:13

theimposter
It's an interesting listen, and there are some musical standouts for sure. But, much like the Beatles anthology, this could have made a far more listenable 2 or 3 disc set IMO. But if you're a hardcore Lennon fan, it's worth it.

there is a 1 disc version of highlights. are these really basically the best tracks?
1. "I'm Losing You" – 3:56
2. "Working Class Hero" – 3:58
3. "God" – 3:16
4. "How Do You Sleep?" – 5:00
5. "Imagine" – 3:05
6. "Baby Please Don't Go" (Walter Ward) – 4:04
7. "Oh My Love" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 2:43
8. "God Save Oz" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 3:20
9. "I Found Out" – 3:47
10. "Woman Is The Nigger Of The World" – 5:14 Live
11. "'A Kiss Is Just A Kiss'" (Herman Hupfield) – 0:11
12. "Be-Bop-A-Lula" (Gene Vincent/T. Davis) – 2:40
13. "Rip It Up/Reddy Teddy" (Blackwell/Marascalo) – 2:26
14. "What You Got" – 1:14
15. "Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out" – 5:02
16. "I Don't Wanna Face It" – 3:31
17. "Real Love" – 4:07
18. "Only You" (Buck Ram/Ande Rand) – 3:24
19. "Grow Old With Me" – 3:18
20. "Sean's "In The Sky" " – 1:22
21. "Serve Yourself" – 3:47

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 9, 2010 21:33

keefriffhard4life
theimposter

there is a 1 disc version of highlights. are these really basically the best tracks?
1. "I'm Losing You" – 3:56
2. "Working Class Hero" – 3:58
3. "God" – 3:16
4. "How Do You Sleep?" – 5:00
5. "Imagine" – 3:05
6. "Baby Please Don't Go" (Walter Ward) – 4:04
7. "Oh My Love" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 2:43
8. "God Save Oz" (John Lennon/Yoko Ono) – 3:20
9. "I Found Out" – 3:47
10. "Woman Is The Nigger Of The World" – 5:14 Live
11. "'A Kiss Is Just A Kiss'" (Herman Hupfield) – 0:11
12. "Be-Bop-A-Lula" (Gene Vincent/T. Davis) – 2:40
13. "Rip It Up/Reddy Teddy" (Blackwell/Marascalo) – 2:26
14. "What You Got" – 1:14
15. "Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out" – 5:02
16. "I Don't Wanna Face It" – 3:31
17. "Real Love" – 4:07
18. "Only You" (Buck Ram/Ande Rand) – 3:24
19. "Grow Old With Me" – 3:18
20. "Sean's "In The Sky" " – 1:22
21. "Serve Yourself" – 3:47

Yeah, I think it's called Wonsaponatime? It's pretty great. There are a few tracks I wish were included, namely a cool laid back version of "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" and a cover of 'Peggy Sue' where he does a jaw-droppingly good Buddy Holly impression. But otherwise it is an excellent compilation and more or less pulls the best tracks from the Anthology together.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2010 22:01

I've got both the box and the one disc version - and in my mind the one CD version is enough.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 9, 2010 22:14

It's worth it for the alternate version of Slippin' & Slidin' alone.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 9, 2010 22:35

Silver Dagger
I've got both the box and the one disc version - and in my mind the one CD version is enough.

i think that answers my question

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 9, 2010 22:35

I have both, but I listen to Wonsaponatime more frequently. It's almost perfect.

Date: May 9, 2010 22:56

i just wish the demo stuff for the song "mind games" was on the 1 disc version

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 01:28

"Queen says no to pot smoking FBI agents."

Date: May 10, 2010 04:09

so maybe get Wonsaponatime and then ACOUSTIC? looks like very little overlap that way

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:55

71Tele
71Tele..I wonder now many pot smoking FBI agent Stones fan..Dudes are out there.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2010 06:38

Ok, if you are a Lennon Fan get the box set. Really, it is outstanding. First, it is beautifully packaged with great art and a good booklet. And there is a pletheral of material that is missing from the single disc set. Really, this a very stunning collection and totally worth 60 bucks if you are a Lennon fan. If you are a casual fan, I guess the single disc is a good alternative, but I still feel the box set is far superior from the pacaging, art work, and the material inside.
Now if you are a big fan, then get it, but also search out the Lost Lennon Tapes series that was broadcast on radio. I think it is about 10 disc full of stuff that is very interesting.

Date: May 10, 2010 06:58

whitem8..Im going to buy it for sure I dont care how much it costs..been a big John Lennon fan I buy all of his stuff just like The Stones..whitem8..thats something more I can put in my specially made wooden boxs ya know what I mean.

Date: May 10, 2010 07:07

HA! Yeah for sure. It is a great box set. And if you are a completist with Lennon then start getting his remastered CDs. They are far superior than the original releases and all come with Bonus material not in the Lennon Anthology. For me it is a no brainer if you like Lennon get the mother load as opposed to the teaser.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 07:29

colonial
71Tele
71Tele..I wonder now many pot smoking FBI agent Stones fan..Dudes are out there.

Probably a few...I was having fun with a Lennon non-sequitor from "Let It Be".

Date: May 10, 2010 07:29

whitem8..I remember once I was living in Perth W.Australia in 1979 me Aussie mate said to me once ya heard of John Lennon and I said yea..then he said come and have a look at this then..he opened up the door front of his house.His collection of John Lennon stuff well its the most ive ever seen before on any musician and all in perfect coniditon.I thought about him after John Lennons death he would of taken it really hard.

Date: May 10, 2010 09:27

Yeah, I took it really hard...I vividly remember that day. I have a lot of Lennon stuff. Say what you will but Yoko has done a pretty good job preserving his legacy with the releases she has overseen. The remaster of Rock and Roll and Walls and Bridges are superb. Hell they all are! Mind Games sounds like a different album! It is so beautiful. The only release that seems a bit of a stinker is the Acoustic one, mostly because a majority of that material you can find in other releases. A few cool jems though. And MenLove Ave was criticized, but it has a whole side of Walls and Bridges material performed live in the studio with no horns, strings, or other overdubs. It is beautiful!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 10, 2010 09:59

ACOUSTIC just stinks! Avoid it.

Date: May 10, 2010 10:01

whitem8..I dont know how many times ive watched *COME TOGETHER*DVD (Dedicated to New York and its people) yea ive always liked Yoko I cant understand why people bad mouth her for.And for Sean Lennon ya couldnt get someone who is more down to earth than him.My favourite performers from that Tribute concert were Stone Temple Pilots *Revolution* - Shelby Lynne *Mother* - Alanis Morissette *Dear Prudence* - Nelly Furtado + Dave Stewart *Instant Karma* and Yokos speech.

Date: May 10, 2010 13:11

I have never seen that colonial. I will have to check it out. Another great one is The US vs. John Lennon...EXCELLENT documentary about Lennon's time in NY and his persecution by the Nixon administration. Very poignant and moving documentary with a lot of great footage.
....I would love to hear the hundreds of hours of the Double Fantasy stuff. I have a boot, but the quality isn't great, it is mostly the vocal monitors. But he did a lot of his favorites. That would be something to unearth. I suspect that Yoko finds that period too emotional to revisit at this time. Fare enough, I am sure though it will come out sometime.

Date: May 10, 2010 13:43

whitem8.. COME TOGETHER-A Night For John Lennons Words + Music.The tribute concert was hosted by Kevin Spacey on October 2nd 2001 at the Radio City Music Hall. (EV Classics)2OO2

Date: May 10, 2010 14:31

Yes, I know it. Thanks, I just never got around to really seeing all of it. I saw Spacey sing Mind Games, which was strange, but interesting. I will check it out. But you know, I think I prefer Live Peace Torontosmileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 10, 2010 14:42

I'm not impressed by this box...the 4 versions of Strawberry Fields from Beatles Anthology 2 beats this box by miles...

smoking smileycool smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outcool smileysmoking smiley

Date: May 10, 2010 14:51

That is a great sleeve Come on! Wonderful. Yes, i agree the versions of SFF on The Beatles Anthology are superior, but the treasure trove of great quality stuff on the Lennon box is breathtaking. The live version of IMagine, is chilling. And of course the Bobby Keys explosion of (Well) Baby Please Don't Go. Recorded as a b'day present to Yoko.

Date: May 10, 2010 15:07

whitem8..Whats the story with Mark Chapman will he be keeped in jail for the rest of his miserable life or something.And if he was released what would ya do with someone like that.

Date: May 10, 2010 15:22

I won't discuss him.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 10, 2010 15:53

I suspect that the reason of that I am not impressed by this box spells Yoko. I can see her in front of me 'banning' all the intressting tracks that must excists with John laughing and shouting in the studio, tracks that I would have love that wifes mostly not thinks is representable for theirs famous husbands work and they are dead wrong in their humorlessness...

How about that? Is it even English?

smoking smiley

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:18

Listening to the first CD now called "Ascot" and there are really some gems there. Imagine (take 1) is amazing and so is the alternative versions of Jealous Guy, Working Class Hero, God, Mother and How Do You Sleep. But at the same time I think, as a Lennon-fan, that Wonsaponatime is enough. I've never been a huge fan of what the Beatles did after the split. Apart from their first solo albums the rest is pretty washed out - yeah, even Wings.

For the safety of Mark Chapman he'd better sit in jail until he die. I strongly believe that somebody will "take care" of him if they decide to release him. He is not well and wasn't well back then either and with that in mind I feel that it's hard to hate him. I don't say that his crime wasn't horrible - it was and can't be forgiven. Just that he wasn't in a normal state when he did it.
What is more sad IMO is that society doesn't seem to have learned anything so this stuff continues to happen. Nathan Gale comes to mind.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home