Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: All Down The Line free download
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 12:58

Arrived!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 13:07 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:03

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker
I can't be wrong on this one.

I just sat with a guitar and listened to the above version.

The part you singled out uses root, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of A major scale over A major, E major with passing D major chord resolving back to A major.

But the vocals HM, I just simply hear that they're in a minor key. Apart from the guitar. Tell me about the vocals, not about the guitar(s) please. You just can hear the half notes if you know what I mean.

It's major to me, but I can hardly call it a scale.cool smiley

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:03

Pleaseee.....
ricardostone@hotmail.com

Best and thanks anyway

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:14

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:25

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

Yes I see, but in my musical language this is minor. C# to D is a half tone, and C# to B is 1,5 tone. That's exactly what I meant, perhaps using the wrong words. Thanks for your clear explanation, HM.

C# to B - 3rd to 2nd of A Major is whole/1 tone no? confused smiley

To me all versions sound major and also bluesy, not minor.

Okay, but apart from the technical explanation, the atmosphere of these sentences is 'negative' (you understand me), while in the official ADTL that's absolutely not the case. There those sentences are 'objective': descriptive. What makes the difference in atmosphere between those two versions, because I think you agree there's an essential difference of atmosphere and feel between the two, caused by the 'notes'.

The difference in athmosphere is, as explained by HM, the use of the pentatonic scale, whereas the final version mainly uses major only. The just released alternate version has Taylor playing several pentatonic licks, while on the released version and all live versions he mainly plays major scale slide licks.

That most probably is the key to the development of the song, they changed it from a fairly standard berrychucking track to a major major scale Stones track.

Mathijs

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:30

Loving it! But it baffles me they didn't include it on the Exile bonus disc. Instead of giving us all outtakes material neatly on one disc, it has to be scattered across the web. Christ!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:43

Got it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 18:53 by FreeBird.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 3, 2010 13:48

Love it. Again thanks so much. Just put the earphones in, shut my eyes and just listend with a big smile on my face!

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 3, 2010 14:07

:-) amazing words, tumbling dice.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 3, 2010 14:29

Great!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 3, 2010 14:36

That version is really something, doesn't sound at all like anything Exile, more like the 77/78/79 outtakes like Claudine. It's funny how we've categorized, at least I have, different eras.

I wonder...couldn't this be an ADTL rehearsal for the 1978 tour ? Their archiving seems so totally messed up (Mick had to look up the Buddy Guy recording from 1997 on the internet !) that I wouldn't put it past them. Let me dig out the 1978 Woodstock tapes...hum, this does sound pretty close, very close actually. For those who don't have it : [dl.free.fr]

Opinions ?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 3, 2010 14:38

gotdablouse
That version is really something, doesn't sound at all like anything Exile, more like the 77/78/79 outtakes like Claudine. It's funny how we've categorized, at least I have, different eras.

I wonder...couldn't this be an ADTL rehearsal for the 1978 tour ? Their archiving seems so totally messed up (Mick had to look up the Buddy Guy recording from 1997 on the internet !) that I wouldn't put it past them. Let me dig out the 1978 Woodstock tapes...hum, this does sound pretty close, very close actually. For those who don't have it : [dl.free.fr]

Opinions ?

To me, it has a country feel, not unlike dead flowers. If anything this could be more from 1970.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 14:39 by barbabang.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 3, 2010 15:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 20:18 by georgelicks.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 3, 2010 15:29

shortfatfanny

video: [www.youtube.com]

Many thanks sff.

Date: May 3, 2010 15:37

Mathijs
kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

Yes I see, but in my musical language this is minor. C# to D is a half tone, and C# to B is 1,5 tone. That's exactly what I meant, perhaps using the wrong words. Thanks for your clear explanation, HM.

C# to B - 3rd to 2nd of A Major is whole/1 tone no? confused smiley

To me all versions sound major and also bluesy, not minor.

Okay, but apart from the technical explanation, the atmosphere of these sentences is 'negative' (you understand me), while in the official ADTL that's absolutely not the case. There those sentences are 'objective': descriptive. What makes the difference in atmosphere between those two versions, because I think you agree there's an essential difference of atmosphere and feel between the two, caused by the 'notes'.

The difference in athmosphere is, as explained by HM, the use of the pentatonic scale, whereas the final version mainly uses major only. The just released alternate version has Taylor playing several pentatonic licks, while on the released version and all live versions he mainly plays major scale slide licks.

That most probably is the key to the development of the song, they changed it from a fairly standard berrychucking track to a major major scale Stones track.

Mathijs

Thanks for your reply Mathijs. I like it. Better than only "Bollocks". It's mainly the half notes C# to D that do it and gave me the minor impression. But after repeating it in my head I could conclude that C# to B is a whole note. So some sort of 'false' minor with the above mentioned feel effect and difference in atmosphere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 15:46 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 3, 2010 15:37

what about full credits?

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:17

can I get the mp3 please??? bearcat@netzero.net

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 3, 2010 16:35

kleermaker

Thanks for your reply Mathijs. I like it. Better than only "Bollocks". It's mainly the half notes C# to D that do it and gave me the minor impression. But after repeating it in my head I could conclude that C# to B is a whole note. So some sort of 'false' minor with the above mentioned feel effect and difference in atmosphere.

EDIT:

I think it comes down to the Exile version using more notes from the A Major scale...

The Exile version emphasizes the A Major scale more in its verse melody by way of the addition of the 5th and 6th notes of the scale. So that's 6 notes from A Major scale on the official version. The Exile melody actually begins on the 5th, where as the acoustic version only uses 4 notes, beginning on the 3rd.

So essentially imo, affirming the A Major scale by way of using more notes from it lends the Exile version a more upbeat feel.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 17:03 by His Majesty.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 3, 2010 17:05

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-03 20:49 by akgameboy.

Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: May 3, 2010 17:10

Date: May 3, 2010 17:19

akgameboy
akgameboy@yahoo.com

Yes, I would like it too!

Simply download the video (see up in the thread) with the free version of RealPlayer and convert it with that same free version of RP to mp3.

Date: May 3, 2010 17:26

<So essentially imo, affirming the A Major scale by way of using more notes from it lends the Exile version a more upbeat feel.> quote His Majesty

Well, that makes sense to me, HM, though I'm no musicologist and the time I played the violin is way behind me, so my theoretical knowledge has become very limited. Interesting anyway! Thanks for checking it all.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 3, 2010 18:08

I got it, my email address isn't hidden

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: May 3, 2010 18:12

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 3, 2010 18:43

Deltics
I got it, my email address isn't hidden

thanks again Deltics

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 3, 2010 18:53

I see someone posted it on rapidshare... That means I don't have to post my alternative solution anymore.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 3, 2010 19:20

Thanks, lualua!smileys with beer

Date: May 3, 2010 19:21

And I can also confirm that there's no fingerprinting involved, the version on rapidshare is 100% identical to the one I downloaded.

Anyway, this might be better suited to a new thread, but I'll just go ahead. The vocals puzzle me. They don't sound old and they don't sound new. Or perhaps I should phrase that the other way around: they sound old and they sound new. So what are they? Any insights?

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: May 3, 2010 19:26

sorry, should have said. i took the mp3 from amazon myself and re-upped via rapidshare, as i know that some can't get the amazon mp3 downloader to work.

Date: May 3, 2010 19:40

lualua
sorry, should have said. i took the mp3 from amazon myself and re-upped via rapidshare, as i know that some can't get the amazon mp3 downloader to work.

Many thanks, lualua. I've put it also on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of IORR, by request. Included the YT-video link also, thanks to shortfatfanny.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home